2,031 Reviews
 (1,407)

1,734 of 1,786 people found the following review helpful
NOTICE: This review is for the NEW 2009 160GB iPod Classic, NOT the 2007 160GB iPod Classic!

The new 160GB iPod Classic is easily Apple Inc.'s best iPod to date, and out of all of the iPods that I own, this is my favorite.

Published on September 16, 2009 by Alex

2.0 out of 5 stars Disappointing quality/sound
I love the iPod but this has been a huge disappointment. The hard drive is really noisy when it changes songs, and it did not remember where it was paused in a couple of audiobooks. I assumed this was a defective one and got a new one. Amazon customer service is impeccable!
Published on October 15, 2009 by carolinawren

1,734 of 1,786 people found the following review helpful
5.0 out of 5 stars My favorite iPod to date. (A.K.A. The iPod Apple should've released in 2007.), September 16, 2009
This review is from: Apple iPod classic 160 GB Silver (7th Generation) NEWEST MODEL (Electronics)

First, the capacity of this iPod is simply unbeatable. I've yet to see another portable media player that can match the iPod Classic in capacity. I have a huge music library, and it's nice to be able to carry every song that I own on my person at all times. What's more, thanks to the iPod Classic's capacity, I also have room to carry a few videos with me, and some of my photos. If you don't like having to pick which songs to load onto your portable media player, the iPod Classic is the way to go.

The second thing that I love about this iPod can be summed up in two words: it works. The 160GB iPod Classic that was introduced in 2007 was extremely buggy, had a non-responsive Clickwheel on many units, crashed frequently, and required a hit-and-miss firmware update to stop the hard drive from spinning even when the device was "off," which often lead to dead batteries. All of these problems left the 2007 160GB iPod Classic warming shelves and earning it the infamous "honor" of being the "worst selling iPod ever," according to Apple. I'm pleased to say that the new 160GB iPod Classic released earlier this month has virtually none of these problems. There's no "spinning hard drive bug," the Clickwheel is incredibly responsive, and the device isn't crash-prone. While it's true that many of these issues were fixed with last year's iPod Classic, there hasn't been a truly functional 160GB model until now. To put it bluntly, this is the iPod that Apple should've released in 2007.

Another thing that I really like about this iPod, and the iPod Classic in general, is it's ability to double as an external hard drive. While I believe that the iPod Nano is also capable of this, the only iPod that really has enough space to function as an external hard drive is the iPod Classic. The hard drive functionality admittedly reduces the number of devices I have to carry on me at any given time. If you regularly work with large files and are considering a new iPod, the iPod Classic is the way to go, plain and simple.

So what are the caveats? Well for starters, as with every other iPod Classic, this is a hard-drive (rather than flash-memory) based device. As a result, it has moving parts which make it unsuitable for running or any physical activity that exerts mechanical shock onto the iPod. Unless you exercise constantly with your iPod though, this really shouldn't be an issue. The only other caveat, which is more of personal taste than an actual flaw, that I can find, is that Apple has not made any cosmetic changes to this device since they introduced it in 2007. Now don't get me wrong, the point of an iPod "Classic," is to retain the "Classic" design, but after seeing how much better a black Clickwheel looks on the silver iPod Nano, I'd have thought that Apple would have given the silver iPod Classic a black Clickwheel as well. However, I admit that this is entirely my personal preference and not a "flaw" per se. I've put a quick list of pros and cons together, which can be seen below:

Pros: Largest iPod Capacity-wise, long battery life, "Genius" feature, excellent value for your money, well-built, doubles as an external hard drive, and improvements to Cover Flow.

Cons: Hard Drive (rather than Flash memory) based storage medium; device is cosmetically identical to the 2007 80GB model. (I still don't understand why Apple hasn't colored the Clickwheel black on the silver model to match the iPod Nano.)

Finally, I would highly recommend this product, which is why it gets five stars from me. I don't like the iPod Nano; it's too small for my hands, and the screen is too small for my eyes. While the iPod Touch may have app store access and Wi-Fi, I find it to be a really gimmicky device, that makes for a poor portable media player, (Apple was wise to position it as a handheld game system,) and is really an "iPhone without a phone." In contrast, the iPod Classic is an excellent portable media player, it has an excellent interface, and it only costs $249 dollars. To put things in perspective, the 2009 160GB iPod Classic costs $70 dollars more than a 16GB iPod Nano, and $150 dollars less than a 64GB iPod Touch. All in all, I highly recommend this product.

5.0 out of 5 stars New To iPod - A Review for People with Large mp3 Collections, September 15, 2009
I am quite new to the portable mp3 world, although I have about 250 gb of music on my computer. The only mp3 player I own is a 1 gb Samsung Pebble, which I use at the gym. This was the only mp3 player I thought I needed since both of the stereos in my vehicles have mp3 disc players. But then I started thinking...since my new Camry has an auxilary jack to hook up an mp3 device, wouldn't it be great to have one and get rid of those giant cd wallets?! The first task was to get permission from my wife to spend 250 bucks. After a little hesitation, she agreed. And then it was on to the research. Since I have such a large collection of music, the capacity of the device was number one on my list (as well as positive reviews & quality). I was pleasantly surprised to see that Apple had reissued the Classic in 160 gb form instead of the 120 gb. So after much personal debate between the Zune and the new 160 gb iPod Classic, the iPod won out.

Although the iPod is a fantastic little device with a large capacity, the software is not without its troubles. I downloaded the most current version of iTunes (verison 9) and immediately began importing my mp3 files from my hard drive. This process can take some time, but not much longer than any other media player. I was so excited to finally have the majority of my music all on one device; and have the cover art as well (I just think that is awesome)! After loading a large chunk of my files into iTunes, I noticed that only a handful of the albums had the cover art. I attempted using the "get cover art" function, but it didn't work. My only option was to track down the cover art online, right click, save, and then add the picture to the album file in iTunes. I know that it's not such a huge deal, but when you're dealing with A LOT of music, it can become quite a pain & time consuming. I later learned that the files have to be spelled exactly like they are in iTunes. And if they didn't come from iTunes in the first place, 9 times out of 10, the album art won't come up anyway. I would like to see a function that gets the cover art from other online sources, not just iTunes; and without a strict spelling criteria. There's no reason that the way I name my "The" bands should restrict the retrieval of cover art. An example being "Animals, The" instead of "The Animals."

So other than the minor annoyance with the cover art, the player itself is fantastic. I found the interface very user-friendly and intuitive, without much of a learning curve. Again, I am new to the world of iPod, but I can honestly say that I am very pleased. I wanted to write a review for people that have a large digital music collection that came mostly from ripping cd's to their computers. I am one of the people who still enjoy listening to an entire album, and is not satisfied by just downloading the single, so I still buy physical cd's & collect vinyl. I would definitely recommend the 160 gb iPod to any music fan with a large collection. Just remember to be patient when getting the artwork for all of those older albums. If you don't have a collection full of Taylor Swift, the Jonas Brothers, or Beyonce, iTunes just may not recognize your music!

4.0 out of 5 stars Great iPod, great upgrade, but you might not want to throw away you 5th Gen Ipod yet..., November 9, 2009
This is the second iPod I own. The first one was a 30 Mb 5th Generation Ipod Video.

First, the plus.

There are many improvements in the 7th generation comparing it to the 5th, although I think most of them were introduced with the 6th Gen. The whole Cover Flow/Genius capabilities are definetly an improvement to the previous software. The games are a nice bonus. I've only had it for three days, but I can already see that I like the new interface a lot more.

And the disk space, I mean, WOW! The ipod is basically the same size as my 30 Gb one, but it's capacity is over 5 times bigger. I am an avid music fan, have tons of music, and my musical taste ranges from ambient to heavy metal, but I think it's going to be a long time before I fill this one up. I think this is the best feature of this iPod, and by itself, the reason you should buy it.

There are also video capabilities, which have always been a plus, and some other stuff, but I didn't see a major difference from the previous versions.

But then, why did I give it 4 stars? I wanted 4.5 stars, but Amazon doesn't let me do that.

Here are the cons.

First, as previous reviewers have stated, the sound quality seems to have downgraded from the 5th Gen iPod. The sound lacks depth, the songs sound more flat. I don't mean to say that the sound is bad, because it still has a very good sound, and I've tested it with headphones, computer speakers and my car stereo. I'm just saying that the 5th Generation iPod sounds better, and the difference is quite noticeable.

The other thing, which might be just my iPod, because I didn't see other reviewers mentioning it, is that the click wheel seems to be less sensitive/responsive than the 5th Generation one. This is not necessarily a bad thing, but it is annoying sometimes that you try so select a song or an option on the menu and the wheel doesn't respond right away.

There's also the fact that using Cover Flow seems to make the iPod proccess slower, but then again, loading the covers of literally thousands of records is not a quick task, and you can always not use Cover Flow, so I won't hold this against the iPod.

To sum it all up. If you have a lot of music and want to carry it all with you; if 30, 60, 80 or 120 Gb is just not enough; if this is your first iPod purchase, or if you just really, really like the new interface and games (I know I did), then I highly reccomend it, and you won't be dissapointed. To me this is definetly the best music player on the market. You will need to sit down and learn how to use iTunes, but when you do, you're just going to love this little gadget.

However, if you have a 5th generation iPod that's working just fine, and you prefer sound quality to disk space, you might not want to buy this one. Just try to be more more picky with the songs you put on it, I guess.

4.0 out of 5 stars Mixed feelings on an otherwise great device, November 5, 2009
I have mixed feelings about the new iPod Classic. As with all iPods, it's an elegant, easy to use device that does exactly what it sets out to do. The interface is intuitive, the device is attractive, and the ergonomic design remains the best on the market.

So why do I have mixed feelings? Some changes to the interface and general workings make no sense to me. The split-screen menu, for instance, is a pointless bells&whistles addition that only serves to clutter up menus that were once streamlined. Also, when the unit goes idle the screen displays the clock instead of the artist & song playing -- not very handy when you're shuffling a library of new tunes. And finally, I'm not sure if it's the new version of iTunes or the unit itself, but half my album covers don't want to display anymore. The first two gripes (and make no mistake, they're only minor gripes, not deal-breakers) could EASILY be rectified with an option to adjust the settings ... but Apple thought better of giving the user more options.

HOWEVER!

The unit itself remains an iPod through and through. It's my fourth, so needless to say I like the product. This one is slimmer than the 60GB I just got rid of, nice and light so it's not a burden in your pocket, and feels much sturdier than my nano. The new Classic has a pretty loud hard drive that may concern a new user, but in reading up on the unit that appears normal. Feels like a well-made product.

The capacity is, of course, to die for. The 160GB this offers will be more than enough for most users, and for power users like me it's the best option available to us as far as capacity goes. It also doubles as a USB hard drive, so you can use it for data storage, too. Nice. The video playback looks great, a larger screen is a great way to store and show photos, and it even has support for a selection of decent little video games.

Maybe best of all is the "Genius" feature. Like Pandora radio and other such services, you play a song and it will queue up other songs from your collection that fit in with the sound/genre/whatever. Really great feature when you have 160GB of music to play with.

So misgivings aside, I really enjoy the iPod Classic. Best capacity on the market coupled with that elegant iPod interface makes this a winner.

2.0 out of 5 stars Disappointing quality/sound, October 15, 2009
carolinawren (Raleigh, NC USA) - See all my reviews
The second iPod has a less noisy hard drive, but it reset itself for no reason in the middle of a song and then when I tried to re-sync it would not connect to iTunes. Once it finally connected, iTunes says that there is no music on the iPod and that it cannot be synched/recognized. This was after 1 day of use where it was not dropped or mistreated and never left the house. My 5th generation iPod, 3rd generation and shuffle synchronized just fine, so it's not iTunes or my Mac.

Also, I would say the music quality is not as good as the 5th generation with video. It lacks depth on the new Classic. The size of the device and the hard drive capacity is fantastic and I really like the ability to use the genius function. I even like the slightly odd split screen. I will probably try again with another one, but this is really disappointing. My first bad experience with many years of Apple products.

5.0 out of 5 stars Almost everything I want, October 8, 2009
P. Geyer "prgeyer" (Vienna, VA United States) - See all my reviews
I'll admit it, I've been avoiding buying an MP3 player for years. I have a 6-CD changer in the car, and I used to not drive more than 1/2 per day, so that was perfectly adequate. But, now with an auto commute of over 3.5 hours per day, I quickly realized that I needed more than 6 albums to keep me from going insane. With a music collection of several thousand albums, I wanted something with significant capacity. Having tried unsuccessfully in the past to use the MP3 player on my 3G phone with Microsoft Mobile OS, I wanted something with an easy and intuitive user interface that would actually work(!!!!). The iPod Classic with 160 GB meets these criteria handsomely.

Already a long-term user of iTunes on my PC, loading my collection on my new iPod was easy and relatively quick. With a separately purchased connection cord, I was able to quickly and successfully (hint, hint, Microsoft) hook my new iPod up to my car's stereo, where the sound was crisp, clear, and compelling. Even after a LONG drive, remaining battery life was barely dented, and the simple touch wheel user interface meant that I could switch play lists with a minimum amount of fiddling and distraction (at stoplights).

Admittedly, I'm not a high-end user. I don't care about cameras (video or still), I don't care about watching movies (although I might start now), and I don't care about sexy graphics. But I do care about large storage capacity, ease of use, and excellent sound quality, and the new iPod Classic has all of these in spades at a relatively reasonable price. The only thing that would make this better would be even more capacity, but realistically 160 GB is plenty for the foreseeable future.

5.0 out of 5 stars One Problem to watch out for, October 22, 2009
I connected a Belkin Tune Talk microphone to my new ipod and spent a few hours recording at an annual event. Came home, hooked the ipod up to my Mac and my Mac immediately said it would initialize the ipod to make it work with the Mac. Of course it erased the hours of recording I had on the ipod. So, when you buy a new ipod, hook it up to your computer before you use it or you'll lose your data.

5.0 out of 5 stars First impressions, February 22, 2010
David Parry "bigbasspa" (Lancaster, PA, United States) - See all my reviews
I bought the new iPod Classic to replace my 5th generation 30GB iPod as I really needed a lot more space. I was hesitant to go for the Classic as the 2008 Classic was considered to have poorer sound quality than the 5th generation version - which does have excellent sound. I did some research, particularly on AV forums where people are quite critical of sound quality of devices and was pleasantly surprised to find that the general opinion of the new Classic was that the sound quality was much better than the earlier version. That swung it for me and I got one.

I can confirm that the sound quality of the new Classic is at least as good as my 5th generation version and may even be better. Apparently the new Classic uses the same sound chip as the IPhone and iPod Touch and they are considered to have pretty good sound quality.

I had heard some bad reviews of the new user interface - Coverflow was slow, the click wheel was not as responsive as the 5th generation and the split screen effect was annoying. Having used it for a few days now I have had no problems with the new interface, in fact it isn't just the addition of graphics but the whole text UI has been updated and does look much sexier than previous generations. I was surprised to find that the split screen effect in the main menus is not static, as I had assumed from the pictures I had seen but actually 'glides' through various album art on the iPod, it's actually a pretty nice effect.

Can't comment on battery life yet but all my fears about getting a new generation Classic were unfounded. It is an excellent device and a worthy successor to the 5th generation model. All I need for it is to last me long enough until larger capacity, solid state, devices are available.

5.0 out of 5 stars old person with many cds, February 27, 2010
I'm late to the mp3 revolution. I'm also older, almost 50. I wanted to wait until the ipod memory had caught up to my large cd collection. I have spent the last 2 weeks cataloging and downloading my cd collection into an itunes library (I did buy a few albums on itunes as well, replacing cds that were damaged or lost), organizing playlists and downloading it all onto my new ipod. As a sound snob I used the lossless format. I now have 678 full albums loaded onto my ipod and I still have 15gb of memory available. It is almost full and I am happy.

The sound is fabulous plugged into my stereo and playing on my large KEF speakers with a $50.00 docking station. I rounded out my music listening with a portable Bose sound deck. (I own one of the original portable Bose systems from the early 80's, still sounding amazing 30 years later. Great products. ) I updated my car stereo to handle an ipod. I'm a jeweler who works on loud equipment, so I bought a pair of Shure noise canceling earphone as well.

My cds are now in the my library in large binders, (over 50 lbs of cds with no jewel cases) but I can see that they are now obsolete. Throwing away all those darn, cracked jewel cases was a nearly ecstatic experience !!

In summary, this ipod has an amazing amount of memory, over 23 days of music in the lossless format, without repeating a song or piece of music. The sound is great. The design is good. It sync perfectly with itunes. Navigating through the vast library is very simple. Organizing playlists has been fun. The battery life is very good, as I've yet to run the battery down. My music has never been exactly portable, now it is and it's bringing me great joy. Thank you Amazon and Apple.

3.0 out of 5 stars Indispensable but flawed, July 23, 2010
I started three years ago with an ipod Classic 80gb and was overwhelmed with the ease of use and the sound quality. I planned to convert my entire music library to it ... and relatively soon had to upgrade to the 120gb, which did not match the sound quality of the 80gb but was more than acceptable. All along the way I have converted my CDs and downloaded masses of music from iTunes, Amazon and Classicsonline. For important sets (e.g, the complete Haydn symphonies), I bought the CDs as backups. Then the fated day came ... I was again out of space and needed to upgrade.

I bought the 160gb fully aware of the reviews that stated the sound quality was problematic. Indeed, it does not have the richness of sound that the 80gb had, and the upper registers give treble new meaning. But with 120gb+ of music already, what else can I do?

It is not bad sound; it's just not as good as before. Apple again is giving us what they want to, catering to the lowest common denominator, and not what people who value sonorities need.

So, I shall exist with the 160gb, but after paying hundreds already I will not download any new items from iTunes, but will either buy CDs and convert them or download from the services which will allow me some time in the future to use those downloads on an MP3 player with as much space.

A shame. Yet another once-superior product brought down by technological arrogance.

Rate and Discover Movies