1,958
Apple iPad (first generation) MB292LL/A Tablet (16GB, Wifi)
Capacity: 16GBStyle: WifiChange
Price:$559.99 - $1,049.99

Showing 1-10 of 1,081 reviews(5 star)show all reviews
Want the long and the short of it without having to read a "mega review"? Here goes. I have an original Kindle and a DX and I've had an iPad for one week. I love them all, but the iPad has won me over. Here's what I've experienced so far:

VERSATILITY - Apps, movies, music, pictures, effective internet connectivity, color display, extremely intuitive GUI all combine to make iPad the hands down winner in this category.

DISPLAY - E Ink is much better for reading, especially in bright light. And, the matte screen on the Kindle doesn't smudge as easily as the iPad screen. However, the iPad has a gorgeous color display and once you get accustomed to it, reading is not difficult. I especially like the backlit display at night when reading in bed ... I can read to my hearts content and not bother my sleeping wife. Slip on the headphones and my full iTunes library is available while I read. If you want a device only to read books, the Kindle wins. If you want color and a display that shows book diagrams and pictures clearly, the iPad wins.

PAGE INTERFACE - I actually like turning pages on the Kindle much better than I do on the iPad. While the iPad has a cool page turning visual (it looks like the page is actually turning), the touch screen is far too sensitive and there is very little edge around the screen to hold on to. The result is that I'm constantly turning pages on the iPad when i don't want to. Kindle's buttons win this one hands down.

CONVENIENCE - on the iPad, all my media is in one place (audio books, photos, music, books, internet, breaking news/weather, address book, email ... the list goes on.) The Kindle, while and excellent book reading device, still requires me to bring along an iPod or a laptop when I travel. iPad is the clear winner.

PRICE - Kindle and the iPad simply aren't that far apart. If a hundred bucks is going to break the budget, stick with the Kindle because it is an excellent reader. If you can afford a little more, go with the iPad... it just is much more versatile. If the Kindle DX were a couple of hundred bucks less, it would be a great reading bargain.

AVAILABLE BOOKS - hands down, Amazon slaughters Apple in just sheer volume of available titles. However, Apple's titles often include color pictures, diagrams, etc. that can actually be sized by the reader for easier viewing. Downside here is that Apple's titles are often higher priced. Winner here is Amazon/Kindle. However, there is an App available for the iPad that allows you to read Amazon Kindle media. It is still not a very elegant design, but it does allow you to read these titles easily and I'm sure the App will only improve with time.

SEX APPEAL - ok, when the Kindle was first introduced, it was a hot item. I couldn't read it at the airport without being interrupted at least a few times by people asking what it was and waning to look at it. Same thing with the iPad, only it's exponentially hotter. With it's sleek design, excellent color display and tons of Apps, people just go nuts asking questions. In short, it just generates a lot of interest and this is proven by the fact that Apple has already sold over a million of these things during the first month of availability. This thing is addictive ... with the Kindle, I can read a book. With the iPad, I can do almost everything I could before on my laptop AND I can read a book.

MY OPINION ONLY - sorry Amazon. You have a great product that pioneered the whole ebook market (others came before you, but you made it work.) Your Kindle is an excellent product, but given the iPad, your device is very much overpriced. Your library continues to be the standard by which all others are judged and I will continue to buy e-books from you, but I'll be reading them on an iPad. On that rare occasion where I'll be laying on a beach reading in direct sunlight, I'll pull out my Kindle because you have an edge there.

I hope whoever reads this finds it useful. I the end, it's your money and your preference so my opinion really doesn't matter. I hope you enjoy whichever device you settle on.
8080 commentsWas this review helpful to you?YesNoSending feedback...
on May 17, 2010

Hopefully my video shows you most of everything you needed to know.
If not, please feel free and ask. I will try to respond.

The iPad is an amazing entertainment tool. It will soon be much
more than that.

For those with iPhones and iTouch iPods, you will not be as dazzled
as those who have been deprived (I have a Blackberry, trust me, I know).

All will love this device, but the is always a price. I mean literally, a big price :-)

It is worthy of 5 Stars due to the vast things you can do. Video, music, pix.
But not like every phone or iPod. This is completely different.
This is nearly perfect.
1717 commentsWas this review helpful to you?YesNoSending feedback...
VINE VOICEon June 3, 2010
I have 2 iPads. A 64 GB WiFi only model which I bought the day it was available, and this 32GB 3G model which I picked up last week. They are about the same price; if you have to choose between an extra 32GB of storage and 3G capacity, definitely go with the 3G if for nothing else future proofing. I consider this to be the sweet spot of the 6 iPad variants.

Right now, my wife is in China with a WiFi only model. She is not a technical person, and can rarely find an open WiFi hotspot. So, she goes days between checking her e-mail. E-mail which might be critical to her business. If she had a 3G model, I could have purchased a modestly priced data plan from Chinese Unicom, modified a data SIM to a micro-SIM, and she would be getting her e-mail every minute, and doing some light web browsing. On the other hand, her iPad is loaded with media with over a dozen DVD quality films, all her music, and a large number of family photos. This does take advantage of the extra storage, but is a poor substitute for the whole Internet.

3G is not quite the great deal as it was yesterday, AT&T is eliminating unlimited data for new accounts. In the past, the deal was you could get unlimited data for $30/month with no contract. Now you can get a $25/month deal for 2GB, which is probably more than enough if you don't watch video. Existing $30/month users might as well be on contract, because they will have to keep paying to get the original deal. There are also cheaper smaller plans. Right now I'm on the unlimited plan, and it is great. I have been Skyping to my wife in China, using Google maps, browsing the web in the dentist office and at lunch. It is very slick. I tried the 250 MB/month plan and that was just too small for what I was doing.

As for the rest of the iPad, it is great. I downloaded a free novel from the iBooks store and read it comfortably without any eyestrain or hurting my arm. It's my preferred device for browsing the web, although you do get to notice the lack of Flash. It's mostly ads though so that's fine, but occasionally there will be a graph or video which you just can't see. Over time, I expect this will be less of a problem as Flash dies out, but it is mildly annoying now.

The glass does get awfully greasy, but that is easily wiped away. Typing is surprisingly OK, I can type about as fast as I normally can if I concentrate. My kids like watching YouTube every night, and that is slicker than going to the website. So, I find I use the iPad several hours a day, which means I can get 2 or 3 days out of a full battery charging, which is a relief compared to being worried about keeping my iPhone charged.

This is indeed a game changing device, and I think most anyone will find there are hours of the day whether it be on the couch, bed or passenger's seat where it is nearly the ideal computing companion.
77 commentsWas this review helpful to you?YesNoSending feedback...
Sorry, we failed to record your vote. Please try again
Just to set the stage correctly - I'm a multiple Microsoft MVP winner for the tablet PC platform. I've been using tablets since their inception in the early 2000's and have used Windows since 1988. I've been programming since 1981. My level of knowledge is way, way up there. And until last July, I never even considered a Mac product. Everything I needed to do was available on Windows, most of the critical apps of mine weren't even available for the Mac OS.

Last spring I purchased another car, and I've long had MP3 players, but never an Ipod. This new car had direct plug access to the Ipods, and allowed all the metadata to display on the radio head unit, as well as full control via the steering wheel controls. So I got an Ipod, my first Apple device. For the heck of it I threw the little Apple sticker on my back window and watched everyone who knew me, employees and clients alike (I'm the director of an IT consulting firm), freak out when they saw the apple on my car.

Then last July a friend of mine showed me his new Macbook pro, and what got me was the hardware, NOT the software. The touchpad was just magical, and after trying it, there was no other input method to compare, and all the windows machines had nothing that felt like this glass surfaced beauty. The backlit keyboard, the solid body (My last two Lenovo's had cracks in their shells just from grabbing one side and picking them up), the design of the hardware was just light years past anything ever done on a PC. And with the new ones running on the intel processor, and able to directly run windows, not just virtually, it made sense for me to get one. So I did.

Then last November I replaced my 1 year old Media center PC with a new Dell Zino, and a month after that replaced THAT with a new Mac Mini. So in about 5 months, I went from a Mac hater to someone who had an ipod, a macbook pro, and a Mac Mini.

So when the iPad was announced, people weren't sure where I'd fall. I was a longtime Mac hater, now a convert, but this "first ever tablet device" was hardly that, Microsoft has been doing tablets for a long time. And my initial take was very, very negative. Like most of the talking heads out there who didn't like it, I was wondering what possible use something that wasn't a real OS would be, something that can't multitask, and, for my tablet background, why on earth there's no support for pens. For me, the best thing about tablets and slates has always been notetaking. I loved MS Journal, and Onenote. Not for *converting* the handwriting to text, but for persisting my notes IN handwriting. I liked it. Worked great. And the form factor on this device would have been outstanding for such activity.

But no joy, we all know how Jobs hates pens. Don't know why, he thinks it's an "outdated" method of input or some such, yet he puts keyboards on everything, which, according to his type of thinking, should also by now be an outdated type of input...

So I had no plans on getting one. I have been waiting for more info on the HP Slate, which would run Windows 7, have multitasking ability, all the things I was used to on a slate.

But I kept thinking about the battery life. And the form factor. I use a kindle daily, and this would be a great replacement for it since, while I liked the concept, both versions of the device I've had just still didn't do it for me. My eyes don't get strained from conventional monitors and displays so it didn't benefit me at all to have the paper ink, but it WOULD benefit me to have a backlit device again for night time reading. And since the iBook app supposedly would allow me to open other books I already had (I've been doing ebooks for years and years before the kindle was ever announced, reading them on my windows PDA phones and comptuers), there was potential here.

But I kept going to the single use, non comptuer OS, limitations.

But I also start to twitch when there's a new toy available. So I started thinking about what I do with computers, both for work and at home, and realized that I didn't *NEED* a full windows 7 slate device with multitasking and everything, since I did not want a second "main" computer. I keep EVERYTHING for both work and my entire personal life on my laptop, so getting the HP would then necessitate a lot of syncing of data between both the windows side of my macbook as well as the mac side. Something I don't like dealing with.

So I realized I didn't want a full computer. I didn't need the ipad to replace anything, or take over any existing functionality of my computers. I wanted it to take over my kindle, and maybe give me some fun drawing apps to play with my 6 year old in. So I decided to give it a try.

So two days ago I ran to the local brick and mortar, figuring they'd be sold out, but at least I could play with a demo unit and see what it was like, get myself past my preconceptions and all the BS flying on the blogosphere. I picked one up, held it, and two store associates were playing with the one next to me. I asked them how quickly they sold out - they told me they didn't, that Apple did a great job stocking them, and they had all versions still left. I decided to not even play with the demo, but just take one home. So I grabbed the 16GB version (knowing I didn't need it for an ipod and such, so 16GB would be sufficient) and went home.

Unboxed quickly since there's nothing but the unit, USB cable, and power adapter. Came fully charged, so I was up and running instantly. Within about 15 minutes I had 70 free apps installed already and was moving through things like a pro. And it dawned on me that even if i wanted that HP Windows 7 based slate, it would NEVER be this smooth. That is one place where Apple just dominates - the UI. And this one was great. Everything worked intuitively, the apps were well designed, and I found my conversions of some of my ebooks to EPUB format installed just fine in Itunes, and showed up just beautifully in iBook. So the reading experience became way better instantly than the kindle could be. And with the kindle software available, I can already get the books I purchased there as well, so i had the best of both worlds.

The drawing apps were a big hit for my 6 year old, who, like any kid, loves finger painting.

Weather apps abound, my favorite so far is weatherbug (not a shock, theirs was my favorite gadget for Windows Vista and Windows 7 as well). I've had storms here, heavy, severe, over the last few days, and my usual thing when dealing with storms at night, while I'm laying in bed reading my kindle, is to randomly get up, go into the great room, and check out the local weather satellites from a few local news stations, see what is still heading this way, how heavy, etc, maybe check mail again while I'm there, then go back and read some more, repeat a few times over an hour or two. So this time, I just changed form iBook to Weatherbug, saw instantly the local radar, what was still on the way, then hopped into the browser, checked all my mail accounts (the built in Microsoft Exchange support is seamless and works great BTW), and enjoyed the browser, which works and looks just as well as my Safari does on the macbook pro. So without having to leave my toasty bed, I was reading, checked three weather sites, three mail accounts, and was back reading, all flawlessly, no running around my house.

The last part I tried finally last night was instant message, which for me is critical since all my employees use it to keep in touch with me, as do a couple friends. With the push technology, all the "you can't do this and that at once" fell apart for me and was debunked. I already had noted that my ipad, regardless of what I was doing or what app I had open, chimed i had a new mail on my works' exchange server before even my smart phone, or my computer directly connected to my exchange server. And so went my experience with IM as well. I loaded a client I've used in windows, then closed the IM program and opened iBook, and a buddy of mine sent me a message. I got not just the notification, but a bubble with his text actually opened in front of ibook, and had a choice of switching over to reply or just close the text bubble and keep reading. So that really rid me of all concerns about the lack of multitasking since that gives me exactly what I need - notification of an email or an IM while I'm doing something else. This is all the computing power I needed on this.

So I finally realized I didn't WANT another tablet PC, another full fledged computer. I wanted something to fill a need between my phone's screen and my computer. Something to replace my kindle, something for some neat games, playing and painting with my 6 year old, and simple/convenient IM and mail access when i'm just vegging at home and don't always want to pull my laptop on my lap to check something quick.

The keyboard is actually far easier and better to use than I had expected, and much faster to type on than I hoped. Not as nice, obviously, as a full screen one, but works surprisingly well.

Screen is a delight - even hours of reading later it's still comfortable, bright, but it gets fingerprints easily despite some "non fingerprint coating" they tried to use to minimize it. Still looks awful after a while at an angle when you look at it askew. But not at all noticeable while staring at it straight and using it.

Screen brightness is good, but it doesn't go down as far as I would've liked for ebook reading, but then I found iBook has a separate brightness control that lets me dim it to nearly nothing for use in the dark. Outstanding.

So then I started throwing some music and photos on it, and that's when I realized I can easily use this to show my grandmother pictures of her great grandson, since she's in her upper 80's and refuses to have a computer, so we can't email her or send her links or anything. So I started playing with music and photos, and this thing became such a cool toy at that point. I had to run back to the store and return it so I could buy the larger 32GB model since I knew by this time I was keeping it. Fortunately I have a 45 day return period with no restocking fees at this place, so the upgrade was painless and free of cost.

That's when I found out that itunes was automatically backing up my unit when it synced. So when I plugged the new one in, the first thing it said was "restore?" So i tried it. It restored all my settings, including mail, so all I had to do was reenter passwords the first time, and I was back up and running after it resynced my apps again. Those stayed in Itunes so I didn't have to redownload everything.

Playing with pictures is pretty fun and very smooth, and the speaker on this thing is surprisingly full of bass. There's even an equalizer for tweaking the sound output to your liking. And the music keeps playing after you close the app so you can have the tunes playing while doing other things (but it will stop when you hit something else that takes over multimedia like a video or some other sound thing from an email of course).

I grabbed the apple book-like cover and the dock, but you can't charge it in the dock while that cover is on.

So I went from the initial "What a useless piece of junk" detractor to the "I wouldn't live without it" supporter.

I gave them all sorts of grief for using the term "magical" to describe it, but I have to say, that it actually felt nearly magical that first hour doing things... All my experience with the tablet PC and I wasn't ready to experience what this interface was like.

And with this, i may finally be able to get my grandma to have something to keep at her condo so we can email her pictures and such... This would make it a lot easier for her than trying to get her to use a full computer...

So for a first revision, it's a grand slam out of the park hit. Granted, it's just a big ipod touch or iphone or whatever, but for someone who never used either of those, and wanted something with a useful form factor, this is a BIG hit.
3737 commentsWas this review helpful to you?YesNoSending feedback...
VINE VOICEon April 4, 2010
I've had an iPad since the first day they were available. It's taken it's place in the household as the preferred way to browse the web, watch bedtime videos with the kids, and play games. Just yesterday, my four year old son sat around the device with his friend playing Plants vs. Zombies HD and it was as easy, natural and comfortable as if they were playing tic tac toe instead of an elaborate tower defense game. It would not have been possible for two four year olds to share a game like that with the mechanics of mousing in the way on a desktop computer or on the cramped screen of an iPhone.

[Update: iPad Camera Connection Kit: I received my iPad Camera Connection Kit recently and that works well, quickly and slickly. It comes as two parts: an SD reader module and a USB port module. The idea being that you can either take the SD card out of your camera or you can connect the camera directly depending on the module. Pop it together and photos and movies are imported into the Camera Roll, and are viewable if the iPad can handle the format, so JPEG images off the SD card from my Lumix can be displayed, as can RAW images imported over USB from my Nikon D-3000. All RAW formats are not viewable, but they should be transferable. I was not able to use a 3rd party SD reader with the USB port as it "used too much power." The USB connector also allows a 3rd party audio device, so you can get digital optical stereo (not surround) out of your iPad instead of the normal dock connectors analog line out. Mass storage devices are apparently not supported.]

In my opinion, the iPad delivers an unmatched content delivery capability. The browsing experience alone is worth the price of admission, but it does so many other activities so well and with such beauty and an organic interaction between user and content that just scratches the surface of what can be done.

This is not a general purpose computer. I am not going to write much source code on it or transcode video or those other activities my laptop and desktop computers do so well. And while text entry is markedly better than on an iPhone, I would not look forward to writing anything longer than this review on its keyboard, although with each sentence of experience I achieve that gets less true. No, what this is is a viewing computer without peer.

You have not browsed the web until you do it with the firm swipes of mobile Safari. I know people have fixated on the lack of Flash and Flash advertising, games and video. And maybe for some people that is a big loss. For me, the only loss is the occasional home improvement show on Hulu, and it seems likely there will be an app for that just as there are ones for Netflix, ABC, Youtube, etc, while sites like CBS put some, but not all, content into DRM free HTML 5 video. What you lose in Flash you more then make up for in the amazing speed of browsing and how natural it all seems. (Having said this, the first time I asked my wife to try answering her e-mail on the device, the first message was to a Flash greeting card.)

The speed of the device is amazing for a low power portable device. Maybe it's the Apple custom A4 processor, or maybe it's the limitation of having so few processes, or the optimization of the OS for GPU acceleration, but the iPad is liquid fast at nearly everything.

Video playback is fast. Photo browsing is fast. Mail is fast. The calendar is fast. Large games like Plants Versus Zombies HD launch in a fraction of the time they do on an iPhone. You get the idea.

Third party developers have stepped up to the plate and delivered both beauty and added functionality. The Kindle app is smooth and imported all my Kindle account books quickly--it's good that there will be competition in the iPad eBook market between Apple's own iBooks store and Amazon't Kindle. The Weather HD app is stunning as it embroiders the mundane delivery of a weather report. Wolfram Alpha is big and well laid out and more powerful than ever.

As for the hardware, I am really liking this screen. It is bright, colorful and sharp with an amazing viewing angle. It does get a little smudged which is noticeable when watching movies but its oleo-phobic screen cleans with a quick wipe.. Its wide viewing angle is a great improvement on my MacBook's screen which would be unreadably dark at the angle I'm typing this. Some people think the iPad is surprisingly heavy, while someone else was surprised how light it was (the same person also expressed remorse at having bought a Nook after about 8 seconds of playing with my iPad).

Be careful with charging this. It likely won't work with your current iPhone car charger. My wife's car charger started to burn trying to handle the extra amperage this device demands. Best to only use this with either your computer's USB ports or the charger it came with. And charging time is slow via a computer, from full empty it takes 7 minutes until reboot, and around 40 minutes per 10% charge (so you are looking at over 6 hours for a full charge from fully drained). The wall adapter is about twice as fast. Regardless, be prepared to make over night charging part of your daily routine, although you will get several days of moderate use between charges given the amazing 10+ hours of activity you get from a full charge. A decade of laptop use has not prepared me for how long you can use this to do everything. It seemingly doesn't matter what you are doing, you still get 10 hours. Or more.

It goes without saying that you do not want to charge this device from your laptop's battery like you might do to your iPhone on a lengthy plane trip.

As for the decision to buy the 64 GB model, I think it comes down to perceived usage. I plan to fill it with quality feature length movies for when my wife travels to China. At about 1.5GB per movie (720x480 h.264)--or more if you have 720p content--16GB seemed a little tight while still loading multiple gigabytes of photos and music. 32 GB would probably be sufficient, and it's going to seem insane in a couple years spending so much for 32 GB of flash memory.

If you get a chance to play with one, try to find a comfy chair where you can put your feet up and make a platform for the device. This will negate the problem of holding its heft and allow you to build up your full speed typing skills. Realize there are all sorts of tricks you will learn and that after an hour you will be a master. Lock the iPad into landscape mode using the hardware toggle switch. I find I never have a need to use portrait mode unless a piece of software makes use of a separate portrait mode. Explore. There are so many little delightful touches to discover like the lock screen photo frame mode, the dictionary in the book reader, tapping on the status bar to go to the top of a web page, etc.

This is a moving target. Every time Apple releases a new version of the OS or a 3rd party developer gets a bright idea, the device will get better. For instance, Apple has announced iPhone OS 4 which addresses many major complaints people have and adds features we didn't know we needed. This fall, you will be able to keep Pandora and Skype running the background while you are playing a game or browsing the web or whatever; this will make these apps vastly more useable. You will be able to organize your apps in folders. Better organize your e-mail. And look forward to smaller developers coming out with more social network games.

If I were to point out one misfeature it is how badly the 2x mode for legacy iPhone apps looks. It just seems as though Apple could have put more effort in making non-bitmap GUI elements look sharp instead of just stretching all the pixels. You would think they could at least have made text and the built in keyboard look better.

I don't like the Apple branded optional case, so I would try before buying the case. It just gets in the way making it hard to access the external controls, and should only be necessary in a scratch prone environment. I am thinking about going with a Gelaskin protective skin instead.

In summary, I am a big fan of this device for a wide variety of activities be it web browsing, game playing, enjoying media, reading email (less so composing email), and reading books. I highly recommend picking one up if you have the means, although I would wait a few weeks until they are back in stock at the normal retail prices or even until the 3G version comes out.
2121 commentsWas this review helpful to you?YesNoSending feedback...
on May 17, 2010

I thought this video might be helpful for those considering getting the 3G model.
Other than the 3G part, this review is fine for the Wi-Fi only version.

----------

Hopefully my video shows you most of everything you needed to know.
If not, please feel free and ask. I will try to respond.

The iPad is an amazing entertainment tool. It will soon be much
more than that.

For those with iPhones and iTouch iPods, you will not be as dazzled
as those who have been deprived (I have a Blackberry, trust me, I know).

It is worthy of 5 Stars due to the vast things you can do. Video, music, pix.
But not like every phone or iPod. This is completely different.
This is nearly perfect.
11 commentWas this review helpful to you?YesNoSending feedback...
on February 2, 2011
In this review, I compare the iPad to 5 other devices I own, use, and love: the Sony Reader, the Amazon Kindle 1 and 2, the iPod Touch, and a laptop. As you likely know, the iPad fills a niche that is between an ebook reader or similar device and a laptop or netbook. Although there are an enormous number of apps available for the iPad, it definitely does not have the full range of function of a laptop. For example, I use my laptop for programming using MS Visual Studio, web development with Dreamweaver, and graphic work with Photoshop and Illustrator. The iPad can be made to do a little bit of all of these functions, but for any large or complex work of that nature, a full-scale computer it the right device.

With that said, I find a similar distinction between my smaller devices (the ebook readers and the iPod touch) and the iPad. I love my Kindle(s) and will not give them up, however, the big advantage I find in the iPad over those readers is the larger size and the additional functionality. The Kindle is still my preferred device for reading ebooks that were created as ebooks, but I now use the iPad for reading pdf documents. If you have ever struggled with trying to load pdfs onto an ereader, I strongly suggest you try the iPad. For most pdfs, there is not even a need to use one of the many programs that help squeeze them down or trim their margins, etc. Most pdfs can easily be read at their native size on the iPad, and moving the document or zooming slightly can be accomplished much more easily and quickly on the iPad as compared to the ereaders.

The screen on the iPad is, frankly, better than I expected for reading. After nearly 30 years of working with computers, I instanly loved the eink display (as in the Kindle, Sony, etc.) the first time I used it. It still provides a better visual image for reading than the iPad as long as you have adequate lighting. However, the iPad screen is as good or better than the best monitor I have used. It tends not to give much eye strain even after extended periods of reading. Of course, it is backlit, which is good and bad -- good because you can use it in most situations except for very bright light, e.g. direct sunlight. The bad it that when you are reading, you are also looking directly into an artificial light source, and, eventually, that will cause eye strain for just about everyone.

The iPad also has many other functions that it performs very much better than ereaders. For example, it makes a very sericeable web browser, with the *big* exception that it cannot display flash videos or animations. It also does not support MS Silverlight (an environment similar to Flash) as of February, 2011, although one never knows what will happen in the future.

Finally, I have found the iPod Touch (and equivalently, the iPhone) to be a very hand device that I can easily carry in my pocket that provides some ereading capability, some web browsing capability, and the ability to run numerous apps, albeit on quite a small screen. The iPad does all of these things, barring slipping into my pocket, and does them better. I still carry the iPod in my pocket for quick access to my contacts, my calendar, my task list, etc., but as soon as I am indoors, the iPod goes away in favor of the iPad. One last point with respect to the iPod Touch or iPhone vs. the iPad -- the former devices have a mirror-shiny finish on the back, which is beautiful when you take it out of the box, but it is absolutely impossible to keep it scratch-free without using some kind of protective cover. So, with those devices, no matter how careful you intend to be, your choices are to keep it in a cover or live with scratches. The iPad, on the other hand, has a matte finish on the metal back. I have no dooubt the it, too, will accumulate tiny scratches if left uncovered, by they are much less likely to be seen and to diminish the lovely design of the iPad.
Sorry, we failed to record your vote. Please try again
I thought long and hard about waiting to look at the next generation of the iPad, and at the competitors that are coming out. However, I decided to go ahead and buy the iPad now, partially because I hate to wait for anything...

What I've learned so far about the next generation of the iPad is that it will have two cameras, a flat back, even better resolution, and it will be faster.

Two Cameras: First of all, I can't imagine using this large (for a camera) as a camera, especially since I have both a Nikon DSLR and a Nikon point-and-shoot. I will use the iPad for a lot of things, but have no need for it to be a camera. I do see the use of the camera with Skype or some other such service, but I have that capability on my desktop computer and don't use it, so I don't think I would use it on the iPad either.

Speed: I don't doubt that it will be faster, but the iPad I have is so fast, it's hard for me to see the advantage in waiting for one that's a little bit faster. I also understand that much of the speed will be used to run a high-resolution screen which probably will negate any apparent gains in operating speed.

Resolution: I also don't doubt that it will have a high-resolution, but again, the resolution on the iPad I have is so high, I have doubts that I would be able to tell the difference.

Slimmer Size: slimmer is better, but my iPad is quite slim as it is, so once again I didn't think it was worth waiting for.

Other Models: There a lot of models that have arrived already, and will be arriving in the near future. However, if the iPad versus other brands turns out like the the iPhone and iPod versus other brands, they won't match the refinement, ease-of-use, and overall exceptional quality of the iPad. I have a Droid X and I like it a lot. It does everything I wanted it to do, and I'm satisfied with it. However, the Droid X is a Dodge Viper, mean looking and loud, while the iPhone is a Mercedes, sleek, powerful and efficient.

The iPad comes out with a new model about once a year. The second-generation model will have incremental improvements, but the third-generation coming out about a year will likely have major improvements. The model I have just might wind up on eBay if that's true.

One further comment on waiting for the Next Great Thing, if you do, you'll wait forever because there's always something bigger, faster, and better coming down the pike.
Sorry, we failed to record your vote. Please try again
Life is too full of gadgets, unify where you can. Add an iPad 3G to your life and you can toss the eBook readers, GPS units, and probably an old laptop or two. It's great in the house as an e-mail machine in the kitchen, and it's better in the car, where we might otherwise be arguing about directions. It fits very neatly into basically any portfolio or briefcase.

The games aren't bad either.

One warning -- these devices are now readily available from Apple for $829 with free shipping. Beware 3rd party sellers on Amazon who are asking much more than that.
on May 17, 2010
The first time I saw the iPad was when it was announced with much fanfare and I was instantly smitten. I've never been an Apple person and have stayed away from their products like crazy, but this thing really stuck in my mind. Once it was released I went to the Apple store and played with it, like so many other people, and I walked away still liking it. I figured I would play with it and walk away thinking that it wasn't worth the money or didn't work the way I wanted it to. I was wrong. I found myself looking up reviews just about everyday seeing what other people thought about it and finally happened to be in a store when they had some in stock and I took the plunge. Was I nervous? Yes. Was I afraid that it would just be a toy and that was it? Yes. Was I scared about the price? Yes. However, I typically feel that way before any large electronics purchase.

What I have found in the month I've owned my iPad is that I carry it with me all over the house. If I'm reading something on the internet and need to go in the other room....I take my iPad. A lot of people have been bashing the iPad without every really using one and I can honestly say that it has changed how I consume entertainment. It's not a replacement for a laptop or netbook, though it certainly could replace a lot of things that you use them for, but it is its own "thing". When it really clicked for me was about a week ago. It was a lazy Saturday afternoon and I was home by myself. I was using the Netflix app to catch up on a show that I had missed a few episodes of and I started out watching it on the couch. Soon I carried my iPad into the kitchen with me to make lunch. Then went outside and sat on the deck. I even took it into the bathroom with me....never having to stop watching the show. The iPad haters out there would say that they could do the same thing with their laptop, but the iPad battery is so great that it gave me true freedom to move about the house without worrying about wires, batteries or anything else. This is the true value of the iPad to me. I can consume entertainment/information anywhere in the house instead of having to stay in one place. Before I would either go to the office or sit on the couch to browse the internet with the laptop. That way I had a power cord nearby. With a 10 hour battery, I don't worry about that anymore.

Now, will it replace my need for a laptop? No. There are things I still need to do that will require more storage or programs that cannot be done on the iPad. However, I'm okay with that. If you are someone that spends a lot of time on your computer looking up things on the internet or watching movies or just wasting time. You will be amazed at the freedom you feel with the iPad.
66 commentsWas this review helpful to you?YesNoSending feedback...

Your Recently Viewed Items and Featured Recommendations