Published on August 21, 2007 by als3rd

1.0 out of 5 stars Bugs make iPhoto a minefield
Published on September 2, 2007 by Shafter

1.0 out of 5 stars Bugs make iPhoto a minefield, September 2, 2007
This review is from: Apple iLife '08 [OLD VERSION] (DVD-ROM)
I purchased iLife mostly for the improved organization of iPhoto. While I like the concept and presentation of events, bugs in importing, sorting, selection, and organizing have made the program an enormous waste of time. Twice in two days, large chunks of photos and events have simply disappeared, requiring reimporting and reorganizing (I was fortunate that I had backed up my library before installing 08). iPhoto often adds photos to a selection on its own (I suspect this is behind some of the mystery deletions) and when emptying the trash seems to also discard related photos still in the library. It's to the point where I dare not delete anything for fear of what else will be discarded. Some events display the wrong dates for the photos within and so are placed out of order. iPhoto08 continues iPhoto06's tradition of importing multiple duplicate files despite instructions not to import duplicates.

A program which should have been a big improvement in organization and convenience is instead a frustrating mess. I have many Apple products, and this is the first time I have regretted a purchase.

5.0 out of 5 stars GarageBand, GarageBand, GarageBand, GarageBand, GarageBand, GarageBand!, August 21, 2007
This review is from: Apple iLife '08 [OLD VERSION] (DVD-ROM)
GarageBand 08. That's what I bought iLife 08 for. I don't see any reviews here for this superb and yet unjustly, incorrectly maligned program, so I'm here to fill that gap, and tell other musicians why I think GB is worth the entire price of iLife 08 by itself. First, I don't use iPhoto - I use Adobe Bridge CS3. I don't use iMovie... nor do I have any need to make DVDs with iDVD. For web production, I use Dreamweaver CS3 and Photoshop CS3, not iWeb. And I don't need podcasting capabilities.

I payed my money for GarageBand alone, less than a tenth of the price of Logic Pro (which I also own), and GB has all of the essential bits and pieces that I need to play, mix and produce excellent quality music. I skipped upgrading to the last version of iLife, because GarageBand was suddenly turned into a Podcast program during the height of the Podcasting craze, and the musicians wants and wishes took a back seat. This version of GarageBand has been improved so much it is serious competition for the "Big Boy Pro Applications."

GarageBand 08 is now a home studio capable of recording a full blown CD with (new) 24-bit audio recording and playback. - You must have a 24 bit capable USB or Firewire audio interface to record Real Instrument tracks (guitar, vocals, mic'd drums ..etc.) to take full advantage of this feature. - These are abundant and affordable on the web. Some of the other features that I like (that are new) are featured below.

But first a word about "Magic GarageBand". When I first saw this I thought it was the lamest, most pathetic looking thing I had ever seen! A corny mock up of a stage spotlighting each instrument??? Come on! But then I auditioned one of the Blues "genres". And to my surprise... I liked it! I brought into the multi-track time line, plugged in my Les Paul and was jamming with a great band! This was a great treat for a home studio musician like me. It was really nice jamming with some one other than my self and loops.

Now for the new features that I love and are new in this edition of GarageBand.

1. Multi take recording. Say you mess up a Real Instrument part. Simply set up a loop over top of the track(s) you messed up and re-record another 1, 2, 3 ..etc takes. Then audition each take, pick the best one and throw out the rest. This feature has only been available in the high priced programs until now.

2. Visual EQ: If you have a track that has too much treble, you can adjust it, by making the EQ curves visible, clicking on the pencil and manually pulling the Visual EQ curves down into the correct range. You can also do this with bass and low and high mid frequencies as well.

3. Arrangements: For songwriters this functionality allows you to keep track of verse, chorus, middle eight and all the other bits and pieces that make up songs while composing. This means, that you can mark off the chorus, and copy and paste it in farther down the line. A brilliant time saver.

3. Automation: With this feature you can dig into the mix and speed up, slow down tracks, making a song pick up tempo on all tracks without making the singer sound like Mickey Mouse. And speaking of vocals, if they don't match the song's present key, simply click on the LCD and raise or lower the entire key of the song to fit your vocal range! Another nice touch previously only available on the "Pro" applications!

Finally, GarageBand 08 has an elegantly simple user interface that does not get in the way of me and my creative spark. No interface distractions, no I/O problems ... it just works. Buy it, it's worth every penny, and a bit more.

4.0 out of 5 stars Great consumer software, August 21, 2007
D. Solberg (Minneapolis, MN USA) - See all my reviews
(VINE VOICE)    (REAL NAME)
This review is from: Apple iLife '08 [OLD VERSION] (DVD-ROM)
It seems that some people are disappointed in the new iMovie, which is substantially different than the old one. The new one is much easier for most non-computer people to use, making it possible for just about anyone to make a movie quickly and easily. So what's wrong with that? That ease of use sacrifices many of the uber-advanced features that technical people love. Everything is packaged and ready-to-go to look good, but you can add advanced volume or video controls and filters. In the end, this will push the technical people to buy the more advanced Final Cut Express, and make the majority of the population able to finally make a movie quickly. What you think of this depends on what you want. Personally, I like it because I don't have a lot of time to satisfy my inner geek.

The other software is generally improved. I am a big fan of the new iPhoto events, which groups your photos according to the days and times you took the photos. For this to work, you've got to set your camera's time and date correctly; otherwise, the events are grouped into odd clusters. iWeb is improved with better management for personal sites. Garageband has a new Magic Garageband feature that makes it much easier to generate your own music. All of this software is more efficient at handling today's huge data files.

One caveat to all of this software is that there are more bugs than I'd like. Apple does do a good job fixing bugs, though, and most things I do work fine. Also, this software appreciates a newer Mac - either a 2.0 Ghz or faster G5 or an Intel Mac are required to use the new iMovie. So if you're using a G4 or older processor, you might be disappointed by the speed of this software. On the other hand, with a newer computer, you'll probably be impressed by the speed.

Generally, if you like fast, easy-to-use software and you have a newer computer, you'll love the new iLife. If you're a technie and you like to have lots of features and options, this update might not impress you.

1.0 out of 5 stars iMovie 08 Should Be Named iMovie Lite 1.0, August 14, 2007
This review is from: Apple iLife '08 [OLD VERSION] (DVD-ROM)
After several days of experimenting with iMovie 08 (part of iLife 08), I have found that I cannot use it. I have gone back to iMovie 06. With no ability to set Chapters where desired (without using Garageband!) no timeline editing and no sharing with iDVD I found the program unusable.

iMovie Lite 1.0 (iMovie 08) is fine to edit a 3 minute video to share on youtube, but it lacks features that are needed for longer projects or if you want to make a DVD of your movie.

iMovie Lite 1.0 (iMovie 08) lacks a true timeline, Nor does iMovie Lite 1.0 (iMovie 08) let you add DVD chapter markers to specific spots in a movie, such as the beginning of each major scene (each day in your vacation, for example).

I feel bad for people who purchase iMovie 08 but have never used 06. They may never know how good Apple can be at designing entry level video software.

But what if you want those missing capabilities? Apple has a great video-editing program for you: it's called iMovie HD (iMovie 06).

I am confident that Apple will eventually correct this mistake. (I understand that Apple has made iMovie 06 a free download for owners of iMovie 08!) I believe that the best course of action would be for Apple to continue upgrading iMovie 06 (iMovie HD) with full support for iDVD and DVD burning. Rename iMovie 08 (iVideo?) for small, quick little videos or slideshows for absolute beginners that don't want to burn a DVD.

1.0 out of 5 stars Do not buy it for iMovie, August 23, 2007
This review is from: Apple iLife '08 [OLD VERSION] (DVD-ROM)
I used to buy iLife just for iMovie and iDVD: I'm on a different universe with music so I never opened Garageband, I do not have a .mac account and don't use iWeb. iTunes is a free download, so really this suite for me is iMovie, iDVD and iPhoto. Iphoto is nice but I could live vith previous versions too, and for what I've seen iDVD seems quite fine (no big modifications), but iMovie is just a shadow of what it used to be. Although I have to admit that the skimming feature is quite cool to see, the "new iMovie" has many drawbacks. No timeline, no integration with iDVD (no more share to idvd option), no chapter markers, just really basic audio editing, no video effects, no more transfer back to camera and so on. So if you (such as myself) use to buy iLife just for iMovie and iDVD, my tip is to pass on this one.

3.0 out of 5 stars iPhoto and iWeb rock. iMovie needs work, August 27, 2007
Short and sweet:

iPhoto: They added some new features that are great. Photo editing capabilities and photo management work well.

iWeb: A major improvement. Could not be happier with it.

iDVD: A few more templates, nothing too earth shattering but the new templates are nice.

GarageBand: I don't use it but it looks real pretty.

iMovie: They changed the software to much it's unrecognizable as iMovie. When you update a program, you should add, not take away. Some of the new features are nice but not at the expense of losing so many others. Very surprised at Apple.

When they (hopefully) fix iMovie, it will be even worth it. If you use iWeb, it's DEFINITELY worth it.

4.0 out of 5 stars Only reccomended for upgrading., August 14, 2007
PRC928 (Sonoma, CA USA) - See all my reviews
This review is from: Apple iLife '08 [OLD VERSION] (DVD-ROM)
iLife has made some positive and negative changes.

iPhoto: iPhoto is much better. You have a gallery view for all photo albums, and all of your books, cards, and libraries are seperated so everything is organized.
iMovie: Horrible. the themes in HD '06 have been removed, importing videos currently on your computer is actually hard. I reccomend using iMovie HD '06, because it is better than '08
iDVD: it has improved. better themes, yet same interface. the drop zones are no longer it's own transluesent window so it makes the DVD Preview window used for typing and viewing dropzones is smaller, but it should not affect the use of the program in a negative way.
GarageBand: I only use this for editing so I haven't noticed very much, but I am sure that it would have better ease of use. I have noticed that you can burn songs onto a CD for playing on a CD player.
iWeb: better themes, new web widgets, new page type and other cool features. this is a great improvement.

overall: I do reccomend upgrading to iLife '08, so you can still use iMovie HD '06. everything in this is great... except for iMovie '08.

1.0 out of 5 stars Extremely Disappointed!!, September 8, 2007
This review is from: Apple iLife '08 [OLD VERSION] (DVD-ROM)
iMovie 08 is a horrible step back from 06. Plus, it imports your movies and destroys them, taking out all transitions, music, titles. Many others have detailed the problems. I just have to say I'm a huge Apple fan and absolutely HATE HATE HATE this product.

2.0 out of 5 stars iMovie ruins the whole package, November 9, 2007
Bert Whetstone (New Smyrna Beach) - See all my reviews
This review is from: Apple iLife '08 [OLD VERSION] (DVD-ROM)
I considered giving iLife '08 four stars because for the most part it's a very good package. But after trying yet again to use iMovie, forget it...if the new iMovie is any indication of where iLife is headed, the next release will be total garbage.

I've seen reviewers who said that iMovie no longer has transitions, this isn't true, they just aren't accesible in the same way. The really, really bad part is, iMovie simply doesn't work in any way that you would expect or even according to the documentation.

For example, just try to load a video into iMovie '08. You might think that you could just drag a video to the landing area that says "Drag media here to create a new project", but you can't! Even if the video is in one of *the only three formats* iMove '08 will accept, you STILL can't drag it in. So, maybe you think you'll add the video to iTunes, and then drag it in off the integrated iTunes media pane. Nope! The ONLY way, and I mean the only friggin way to import video into iMove '08 is to select "Import Movies" from the Edit menu, but when you do this you better be sure to import the clips one-by-one in the order you want them to appear in the project, because if you don't there is absolutely NO WAY of moving a clip!

iMovie '08 is utterly ridiculous. I can't imagine how Apple would even consider releasing this as part of their flagship consumer package. It's completely unusable. The funny thing is, Apple must have some idea of just how bad iMove '08 is, because when you install iLife it's the only iLife application which it saves the previous version in a special folder titled "iMovie Previous Version", so you can still use the version of iMove which actually works!

So, maybe get this for the other applications which are all fine, but forget trying to use iMovie '08. It's utter garbage.

1.0 out of 5 stars horrible!!, August 27, 2007
This review is from: Apple iLife '08 [OLD VERSION] (DVD-ROM)
The problems with iMovie are legion and well documented. I bought the 08 anyway because I dont use iMovie and didnt hear any negatives about iPhoto or iDVD which I do use. In iDVD, you cant import music. You are told that you are not authorized to import a song from iTunes. Then, you jump through hoops to authorize it and still no music. iPhoto will jumble your photos into "Events" and good luck in sorting your photos out. It will take a while. I have no idea what the purpose of this is other than to create more confusion. Plus I lost about 100 photos in the process. This is a really bad program. I'd like to erase it and go back to the old version; more trouble.

Apple iLife '08 [OLD VERSION]
Apple iLife '08 [OLD VERSION] by Apple (Mac, Mac OS X)
$79.00 $29.39