Industrial-Sized Deals Shop all Back to School Shop Women's Handbags Learn more nav_sap_SWP_6M_fly_beacon $5 Albums $5 Off Fire TV Stick Subscribe & Save Shop Popular Services pivdl pivdl pivdl  Amazon Echo Starting at $99 Kindle Voyage Nintendo Digital Games Big Savings in the Amazon Fall Sportsman Event Deal of the Day

on September 13, 2014
I bought this brand new iPhone 5 for my mother who lives abroad, she was visiting the US and asked me if she could get an unlocked iPhone to take back home. So I found this one, thought the price was not too bad so we ordered it. When we received it it all looked just like a totally legitimate Apple product, we charged it, turned it on and of course couldn't use it cause it has no SIM card, it was unlocked so she would have to go to one of the carriers in her country and get a SIM card and an account for it.
She packed it and left. She went to her telephone company back home and they had some questions about this phone.. so I told my mom not to worry and that I was going to call Apple here, I have all kinds of Mac products at home, I love the company and the service. This is when the story got interesting; they asked me for the serial number which didn't appear anywhere in the packaging and my mom couldn't get through the phone system to find it in the preferences since the phone was not activated. So I gave the Apple people on the phone all the numbers there were on the box, some stickers had some numbers but they didn't make any sense to them, so they asked me to look at the tiny tiny printed numbers and letters on the back of the phone, so she grabbed a magnifier and a flash light and read them back to me (she was on Skype with me), but the last set of numbers called IMEI number was missing!! Following to this discovery the Apple representative transfer me to her supervisor and she told me that this was not an original Apple product!! They said I should try to get my money back from Amazon and that they are usually very good at addressing these things. So I did that and I got my money back. I wanted to upload pics of this but I don't see how to do that here. But basically behind an iPhone 5 you need to see 2 sets of numbers and letters; the FCC ID, the IC and then a third one, which is the IMEI and it is just numbers.
WOW! Fake iPhone! Stay away from this seller.
22 commentsWas this review helpful to you?YesNoSending feedback...
on April 26, 2013
It was listed as "Unlocked" iphone5, but it was locked, my friend took the phone back to China, couldn't use it and needed to send back.
99 commentsWas this review helpful to you?YesNoSending feedback...
on October 9, 2013
The iphone came quickly, but after inserting the nano-simcard, we realize the iphone is locked and attached to At&T network, it means that works only with AT&T network. What can I do to unlock it? the Iphone is now in colombia because it was supposed to be a gift.
44 commentsWas this review helpful to you?YesNoSending feedback...
on November 11, 2013
All accessories non-original and the phone is not good condition some time the signal is dose not works and the WARRANTY is not apple care ..
on December 21, 2014
try to contact seller but i cant cause i received bad iPhone not like described
many scratches
camera is bad and not clear
review image review image review image review image
on November 26, 2013
I bought this phone this August and found that the serial number of this phone is different with the serial number printed on the box. Then I checked online and found that this phone actually was activated last December. I was shocked and did more research about this phone and its accessories. Unfortunately the accessories are fake.

This product was sold on amazon and marked "by apple", and the review looks good too. So I just bought it without any doubt.

Please check the serial number of your phone if you bought it from here.
on March 13, 2013
I have been using the iPhone starting with the very first one. It was expensive back then. So, in comparison, today's prices really are not that bad. So my thoughts on the iPhone 5 are:

1) Retina display is awesome. Everything looks more defined and sharper. It is like wearing glasses for the first time! There is much color and clarity out there... or should I say, in those digital images and videos... needless to say, the camera as well captures great images.
2) Call quality is excellent, no issues at all. I also like the new earbuds better. They fit my ears better and call signal is very good. By the way, the packaging of the earphones was A+++.
3) Build - same as all previous iPhones, maybe a tad sturdier. I dropped my phone last night when I got off my car, so it now has a skid mark one of the aluminum corners - boy am I happy it was just a ragged little nick on the outer antenna (corner). The glass did not shatter or crack. The aluminum back wasn't scratched. Of course the way it fell may have mattered, but still, a drop on our concrete garage floor is a drop. The experience speaks well of Apple.
4) Size and shape - this is where I took out a star. The increased screen size looks good. But a longer, thinner, "uniform-flatness" shape - although indeed a great form factor visually - does not translate into a comfortable hold. I feel like I am holding on to only the right and left side of the phone, almost daintily (like holding a small teacup with your little pinky upturned). My thumb on one side, and my pointer and third finger on the other. The back does not even touch my palm. I am not sure how others hold their phones, but I feel a little awkward with this one. I am tempted to but a bulky case (like some ugly Otterbox or one with extended battery) but then it wouldn't look as trendy.

So I leave it at that. I love my phone and I use it a lot, mostly for communication purposes, and not for entertainment. But I am still adjusting to how I am supposed to hold this neat little thing comfortably. iPhone 4's shape was better, in my opinion, but everything else about the 5 is better than 4 or 4S.

To each his own! This review is not an all-encompassing review, so read it with a grain of salt, and most of all, enjoy your new phone, whatever it may be!
66 commentsWas this review helpful to you?YesNoSending feedback...
on November 6, 2012
In deciding to go with blazing fast LTE capability in the iPhone 5, Apple was forced to release three different devices to meet compatibility with different LTE network standards worldwide.

The A1428 model iPhone 5 is the Canadian and US AT&T network GSM iPhone, including broad support for UMTS/HSPA+DC-HSDPA (frequencies 850, 900, 1900, 2100 MHz), GSM/EDGE (frequencies 850, 900, 1800, 1900 MHz), and LTE bands 4 and 17.

The A1429 iPhone comes in two different flavors, one CDMA and one GSM. The GSM model is designed to support LTE in Asia (including Hong Kong, Japan, Singapore, and South Korea). This GSM iPhone will also work on LTE in Australia, Germany, and the UK on bands 1, 3, and 5.

The CDMA version of model A1429 works on Sprint's and Verizon's LTE networks in the US, along with the KDDI network in Japan on bands 1, 3, 5, 13, and 25. The CDMA version also supports GSM bands, making the CDMA iPhone 5 compatible with GSM networks. However, the CDMA A1429 will not support LTE on GSM networks in the US.

Full specs from Apple:

GSM model A1428: UMTS/HSPA+/DC-HSDPA (850, 900, 1900, 2100 MHz); GSM/EDGE (850, 900, 1800, 1900 MHz); LTE (Bands 4 and 17)

CDMA model A1429: CDMA EV-DO Rev. A and Rev. B (800, 1900, 2100 MHz); UMTS/HSPA+/DC-HSDPA (850, 900, 1900, 2100 MHz); GSM/EDGE (850, 900, 1800, 1900 MHz); LTE (Bands 1, 3, 5, 13, 25)

GSM model A1429: UMTS/HSPA+/DC-HSDPA (850, 900, 1900, 2100 MHz); GSM/EDGE (850, 900, 1800, 1900 MHz); LTE (Bands 1, 3, 5)
1111 commentsWas this review helpful to you?YesNoSending feedback...
on August 4, 2013
I purchased a new iPhone 5, had it for one week, was having lousy reception in my house, my carrier, T-Mobile, insisted they send me a new iPhone, in case that was the problem. I told them it was a reception issue, not a phone issue--my iPhone worked fine elsewhere. T-Mobile insisted. I swapped out the phone for the one they send, and I still had lousy reception in my house, just as I told them I would.

When T-Mobile got my phone back, they charged me $250 for "liquid-damage." The iPhone has built-in gizmos that supposedly detect liquid damage, like if you drop your phone in the toilet. This one week old phone had never gotten wet, and it worked fine. I learned from a little online research that these liquid damage indicators DO NOT WORK correctly--they often give false positive readings, so much so that Apple just agreed to pay $53 million in a class action lawsuit. Of course, as lawsuits go, this one had a cutoff date, and my case is too late for it. But Wired Magazine and others have demonstrated that Apple has NOT solved the problem and continues to peddle these bogus, non-functioning indicators. And customers like me continue to get screwed. So--buy one of these things at your own risk.

The sad thing is that Apple used to position themselves as the scrappy "outsider" company, the anti-corporation, anti-Big Brother--and now, they have turned into Exxon Mobile, or British Petroleum--remember the oil spill in the Gulf of Mexico? Lie, lie, lie, and steal, steal, steal. Add Apple to that list of companies. Very sad.
22 commentsWas this review helpful to you?YesNoSending feedback...
on April 1, 2013
I've owned iPhones since their first incarnation, and have until now almost always been pleased with the developments made to the next generation over the last, with the exception of the iphone 4 and the design fault that resulted in a complete drop of signal when held in your hand without a case on it (I still own 2 of them, don't believe the spin, they really do drop signal).

The 4s is a great phone, quicker than the 4 and without the signal / aerial debacle.

The iPhone 5 however is a disappointment.

It's thinner apparently, not that you'd notice, especially as due to it's design you have to have it in a case to prevent it from being destroyed by everyday careful usage.

But in order to make it thinner they had (so they say) to change the sync lead / charger lead connector to a new smaller design. If like me you have owned and continue to own previous versions of iPhones, iPods and iPads, and have several chargers, Docks, car connectors and car chargers etc then this new design is really frustrating.

The real reason that Apple changed the design is surely so that everybody has to go out and buy outrageously overpriced adaptors or new leads. I have read that Apple pays less than $0.6 for these leads, yet charges it's customers £25.

Apple have also put a microchip in their leads that the iPhone is set to recognise, without which they are rejected by the iPhone in order to prevent third party manufacturers from producing leads that work properly, hence all the terrible reviews for these 3rd party products.

It's just another of Apple's underhand money making exercises at the customers considerable inconvenience and expense.

It's taller than the iPhone 4s. Some may like this, but I don't. The 4s sits comfortably in your hand and my thumb can reach the top of the screen on the 4s without having to change the position in my hand. I have bigger than average hands too.

It is faster than the 4s, only a little, but it is faster. But this is the only improvement in my eyes.

Battery life is poor, another sacrifice made to the god of (pointless) thinness. It feels cheaper and flimsier than the 4s too.

Maps are a mess. Google maps was so much better on the 4 and 4s.

Instead of this ridiculous connector fiasco, why couldn't we have kept the old and perfectly good connector and had wireless charging too? The technology is there, and would be a great improvement over the current system.

A more robust design would be nice so that they didn't have to live in cases, and a dust and moisture resistant design would be very welcome.

iCloud is fantastic, and so I can't imagine changing phones to another manufacturer until someone else comes out with something at least as good as iCloud.

But when they do, I'll be more than happy to switch allegiance, despite twenty years as a loyal Apple customer.

Apple can only push their customers so far, and I'm becoming more and more fed up with the way Apple is treating it's customers with regard to their infuriating thinness campaign with their phones, iPads, MacBook Pros and iMacs, at the expense of functionality and in a blatant attempt to corner the market and limit customers buying choices in terms of leads, adaptors, connections, music purchasing, app purchasing etc, as are many many other people.

Apple is a great brand and has produced many fantastic products, but the iPhone 5 is not the leap ahead from the 4s that customers had hoped for, and this coupled with frustration and expense incurred by the connector design and the thinness over battery life and durability make it for me a 2 star product.

If you own the 4s I'd suggest hanging on to it and waiting until Autumn for the next hopefully much improved iPhone, or Samsung, or whoever the Apple slayer will be.
1313 commentsWas this review helpful to you?YesNoSending feedback...