Winter Driving Best Books of the Month Valentine's Day Shop Learn more nav_sap_SWP_6M_fly_beacon King easycohice_2016 All-New Amazon Fire TV Grocery Valentine's Day Cards Create an Amazon Wedding Registry Amazon Gift Card Offer chiraq chiraq chiraq  Amazon Echo All-New Fire Kindle Paperwhite Shop Now Sale

on April 26, 2013
It was listed as "Unlocked" iphone5, but it was locked, my friend took the phone back to China, couldn't use it and needed to send back.
99 comments212 of 237 people found this helpful. Was this review helpful to you?YesNoReport abuse
on November 11, 2013
All accessories non-original and the phone is not good condition some time the signal is dose not works and the WARRANTY is not apple care ..
0Comment63 of 67 people found this helpful. Was this review helpful to you?YesNoReport abuse
on October 9, 2013
The iphone came quickly, but after inserting the nano-simcard, we realize the iphone is locked and attached to At&T network, it means that works only with AT&T network. What can I do to unlock it? the Iphone is now in colombia because it was supposed to be a gift.
44 comments126 of 141 people found this helpful. Was this review helpful to you?YesNoReport abuse
on January 29, 2015
If I could rate this any lower I would. When I received the phone, everything was okay. Phone was in amazing condition plus it came with accessories. I put in my T-mobile sim card and to my surprise I am unable to activate the iphone because the sim card is not of the phone's original carrier. I went online to see what the original carrier of the iphone was so I checked the IMEI. Instead of telling me a carrier, it told me the phone was "IMEI BLACKLIST". Not only can I not use the phone with t-mobile, but now I cannot use it with ANY carrier at all unless I'm outside of the country. This phone is basically USELESS. The fact that the product is named "Iphone 5 UNLOCKED" makes me even more furious than I already am on top of the fact that I received a blacklisted phone. This is by far the worst service I'v ever had. Don't waste your money on this and don't trust what these people tell you!! Trust me it's not worth it. You're better off buying a NEW phone from your carrier. You'll be wasting more money buying this junk and then having to buy a new phone
0Comment25 of 28 people found this helpful. Was this review helpful to you?YesNoReport abuse
on January 25, 2014
The unlocked phone bought had a hardware problem. Following DirectBuyWireless instructions I contacted Apple and based on the warranty, Apple has replaced the phone with a brand new one. The only issue is that Apple does not unlock phones (all phones when manufactured are locked by default and only carriers or suppliers like DirectBuyWireless unlock them) and the new phone that I have is locked. Apple requested me to contact the supplier I bought my phone from. And here is where my Saga continues. I have been trying to contact DirectBuyWireless to unlock my new phone or exchange this new locked phone by an unlocked one for a couple of months and my e-mail 3 messages are still unanswered. I have a phone that is inoperant for months without any feedback from the supplier and no support from Amazon to help me out on this. It seems that my next step will have to be a Legal claim to see if the Supplier and/or Amazon take any action. That's unnaceptable! No support, no response, no respect for the customers!
11 comment10 of 10 people found this helpful. Was this review helpful to you?YesNoReport abuse
on March 13, 2013
I have been using the iPhone starting with the very first one. It was expensive back then. So, in comparison, today's prices really are not that bad. So my thoughts on the iPhone 5 are:

1) Retina display is awesome. Everything looks more defined and sharper. It is like wearing glasses for the first time! There is much color and clarity out there... or should I say, in those digital images and videos... needless to say, the camera as well captures great images.
2) Call quality is excellent, no issues at all. I also like the new earbuds better. They fit my ears better and call signal is very good. By the way, the packaging of the earphones was A+++.
3) Build - same as all previous iPhones, maybe a tad sturdier. I dropped my phone last night when I got off my car, so it now has a skid mark one of the aluminum corners - boy am I happy it was just a ragged little nick on the outer antenna (corner). The glass did not shatter or crack. The aluminum back wasn't scratched. Of course the way it fell may have mattered, but still, a drop on our concrete garage floor is a drop. The experience speaks well of Apple.
4) Size and shape - this is where I took out a star. The increased screen size looks good. But a longer, thinner, "uniform-flatness" shape - although indeed a great form factor visually - does not translate into a comfortable hold. I feel like I am holding on to only the right and left side of the phone, almost daintily (like holding a small teacup with your little pinky upturned). My thumb on one side, and my pointer and third finger on the other. The back does not even touch my palm. I am not sure how others hold their phones, but I feel a little awkward with this one. I am tempted to but a bulky case (like some ugly Otterbox or one with extended battery) but then it wouldn't look as trendy.

So I leave it at that. I love my phone and I use it a lot, mostly for communication purposes, and not for entertainment. But I am still adjusting to how I am supposed to hold this neat little thing comfortably. iPhone 4's shape was better, in my opinion, but everything else about the 5 is better than 4 or 4S.

To each his own! This review is not an all-encompassing review, so read it with a grain of salt, and most of all, enjoy your new phone, whatever it may be!
77 comments69 of 88 people found this helpful. Was this review helpful to you?YesNoReport abuse
on November 6, 2012
In deciding to go with blazing fast LTE capability in the iPhone 5, Apple was forced to release three different devices to meet compatibility with different LTE network standards worldwide.

The A1428 model iPhone 5 is the Canadian and US AT&T network GSM iPhone, including broad support for UMTS/HSPA+DC-HSDPA (frequencies 850, 900, 1900, 2100 MHz), GSM/EDGE (frequencies 850, 900, 1800, 1900 MHz), and LTE bands 4 and 17.

The A1429 iPhone comes in two different flavors, one CDMA and one GSM. The GSM model is designed to support LTE in Asia (including Hong Kong, Japan, Singapore, and South Korea). This GSM iPhone will also work on LTE in Australia, Germany, and the UK on bands 1, 3, and 5.

The CDMA version of model A1429 works on Sprint's and Verizon's LTE networks in the US, along with the KDDI network in Japan on bands 1, 3, 5, 13, and 25. The CDMA version also supports GSM bands, making the CDMA iPhone 5 compatible with GSM networks. However, the CDMA A1429 will not support LTE on GSM networks in the US.

Full specs from Apple:

GSM model A1428: UMTS/HSPA+/DC-HSDPA (850, 900, 1900, 2100 MHz); GSM/EDGE (850, 900, 1800, 1900 MHz); LTE (Bands 4 and 17)

CDMA model A1429: CDMA EV-DO Rev. A and Rev. B (800, 1900, 2100 MHz); UMTS/HSPA+/DC-HSDPA (850, 900, 1900, 2100 MHz); GSM/EDGE (850, 900, 1800, 1900 MHz); LTE (Bands 1, 3, 5, 13, 25)

GSM model A1429: UMTS/HSPA+/DC-HSDPA (850, 900, 1900, 2100 MHz); GSM/EDGE (850, 900, 1800, 1900 MHz); LTE (Bands 1, 3, 5)
1212 comments199 of 259 people found this helpful. Was this review helpful to you?YesNoReport abuse
on June 10, 2015
I didn't like it and don't recommend anyone to buy. I just bought a refurbished version, and according to its description it should be in VERY GOOD condition. But it's in very FAIR condition. Unacceptable!!!
I will attach some pics of it...
review image review image review image review image
22 comments15 of 17 people found this helpful. Was this review helpful to you?YesNoReport abuse
on August 6, 2013
This IPhone 5 16GB is actually my portable pc.. I can do everything in my hand and the price was average
on August 28, 2013
Ok, I have now had the Galaxy S4 for three weeks and I am ready to share my initial pros and cons vs the iPhone 5. These are in order of importance to ME personally and each is real fact, not a theoretical issue, for me.

Your order might be quite different than mine. And that might push you in a different direction than they pushed me. I am interested in ALL feedback on these, especially additional pros and cons. But I am not looking for emotional opinions with no data or facts.

### High Level:

# GS4 Pros:
Better Screen
Better Text Messaging
Higher Wow Factor
Great Back Button
Easy to add free custom ringtones
Videos in Play Store
Set a custom font for everything

# GS4 Cons:

Camera is great on both
Neither allows a ringtone per group
Neither phone flips screen upside down

# Overall:
The pros above do not outweigh the cons for me. I would stick with the iPhone and will probably sell my GS4 when the next iPhone comes out.

### Details:
For each topic above, I have included details for each:

# GS4 Pros:
Better Screen
* The larger screen really is wonderful to watch and use
* GS4 makes TVs and you can tell. The blacks are blacker, the colors more vibrant than I had on the iPhone 5.
* People keep saying wow to the screen when they see it. Or they ask me to dim it.
* Games are amazing on it due to the size and colors.

Better Text Messaging
* If you don't hit send on a message, that contact shows *draft*. I have MANY times had unsent messages in my iPhone I was unaware of.
* Swype is a game changer. I used to want to throw my iPhone into a wall when typing, which I do a LOT. Swype allows me to type data in MUCH faster. Guinness World Record faster. And Swype FIXES capitalization for you!! I use this constantly! And it does select all, copy, cut, paste as well with a single keystroke. Fantastic.
* The GS4 has text templates pre-populated with a message. I use this a LOT. iPhone doesn't have it.
* On the iPhone if you have a single unread text, it automatically opens it. Sometimes, you go to text someone you were just texting, but the phone switches you to the unread text and you don't notice and BAM you text the wrong person. I've done that LOTS. Not so with the GS4.
* If you have more than one number or an email and a number, the iPhone just says the contact's name at the top. You have to click it to see what is in blue to know where the message is going to go. The GS4 shows the number or email at the top with the name.
* It is easier to place a call from a text. Icon always visible at the top.
* If you are doing an iMessage you do not get a character count even if you have the count setting on. Also it doesn't show till you hit 160 characters. The GS4 count is always present.
* You can change the font size of a text by hitting volume up/down.

Higher Wow Factor
* Nobody ever says "wow, you have an iPhone!" to me. But in three weeks at least a dozen people have said wow to this phone for various different reasons. And that feels nice.

Great Back Button
* Still missing from the iPhone architecture are a menu button and a back button. Always in the same place. Makes for much easier navigation than on the iPhone.

Easy to add free custom ringtones
* No need to buy ringtones. Add your own tracks and edit them smaller.

Videos in Play Store
* The play store allows app sellers to include a video of the app. This is AWESOME as you can really get a feel for the app without installing it first. On the iPhone installing is always a gamble.

* Set a custom font for everything
I set the font to a comical one and it is EVERYWHERE. I love it.

# GS4 Cons:
Horrible Notifications
Notifications are how I keep up to date with EVERYTHING. The iPhone sorts them by app instead of by time and maxes out at five in the notification center. But this is STILL better than the GS4's approach. Example: If I am showering and hear my iPhone, I peek out of the curtain and there on the lock screen is the latest notification. If I click the button I can see all of them on the lock screen and get the gist as to if I need to dry off and respond or wait till later. With the GS4, they appear at the tippy top (like they do on the iPhone when turned on, not in lock mode). They go by very quickly so by the time you peek out, they are long gone. And YOU CAN'T CLICK ON THEM to read the details!!! I thought for sure Air Gestures would let me preview them without touching the phone. Nope. Further, with the iPhone I can get a ton of details without opening the apps. With the GS4, I constantly have to dig into an app to get the level of information I really need. That's a whole LOT of touching, and takes a lot longer to do. iPhone notifications are far far easier. And faster and more accurate. I used to hear my laptop and my iPhone chime together whenever I got a fb alert. The GS4 chimes when I don't need it to, doesn't when I do need it to, and that little blue light is always flashing when nothing important has changed...

Won't Sync Outlook Memos
Samsung tech support is AWFUL. On hold three hours. Clueless reps who are trained to say "I'm sorry to hear that" 20 times in a call, then not actually fix anything. Their free outlook sync app, Kies says it does memos in the help, but the tool is missing that feature. They say it is Verizon's fault, but it is their own software that is missing the feature. And the old software didn't have it, so this is most likely a regression error (it went away again by accident). Most of you probably don't care about this one, buy I have over 500 memos I use all the time and need them on my phone. They are my memory.

Visual Voicemail NOT FREE
On the iPhone you have all your voicemails as little files. You can pause, rewind, delete, recover etc. The GS4 requires me to CALL MY VOICEMAIL!? This is dinosaur archaic. Hit 3 to delete this message??? No slider bar... c'mon. On the GS4 voicemail window, I can opt to pay $3 PER MONTH to get visual voicemail from Verizon. Disgusting. Give me back my iPhone.

No Successful Air Gestures
The commercials are all about the air gestures. Showing people with dirty hands who take care of business anyway. This hasn't worked ONCE yet for me. Many of the air gestures and air views are turned off by default. When you finally get them all on, they still fail to work. And even if they work as designed, which so far they haven't, I *expected* that if I got a text, I could read it without touching the phone. Negative. Even when working. You can preview one once you are in the Text App, but getting to it requires much screen touching!!! Defeats the whole purpose. I call this absolute false advertising compared to how the commercials make it seem.

Multiple Restarts Required
Every day, my sound goes out. You can set silent, vibrate or sound on from the power button. My sound goes out and the button does not change it. I use the power button to select "restart" and the sound works again. Ok, maybe not every day, but at least twice a week.

Clumsier App Switching
I can switch back and forth between two apps on the iPhone by double clicking the home button and the last app is always the first spot. The GS4 requires a long press and it is the last app is actual the second one up from the bottom. This takes a bit longer for each step than on the iPhone. Just a minor annoyance.

No Silent Text Tone Per Contact
When Amazon or my bank send a text alert, I set those contacts to silent so they didn't disturb me. They still alert me, but quietly. Real people honk with happiness. Oddly, you can't do this on the GS4! Nor can I create a silent tone to add myself! So I had to find the quietest tone I could for these. Lame. Why can you so easily customize ringtones, including silent, but not text tones?

Awkward Power Button Position
The power button is directly opposite the volume buttons. And volume overrules power if you hit them both. I rarely change volume on my phone, but always hit power. And nothing happens because it is quite awkward to hit it without hitting the opposite side volume buttons. Especially one handed.

More Accidental Screen Touches
The screen size is wonderful, but I find myself activating it by accident ALL the time when trying to use it one handed. Over and over. iPhone is definitely one hand friendlier.

Too Many App Stores
I have like seven app stores on my phone instead of a single one on the iPhone. Which should I use? Why have so many?? Playstore, Amazon Store (and they have like four different kinds), Samsung (and they have multiple too)... Just too much. I created an appstore folder and there are 10 icons in it.

# Other:
Camera is great on both
The GS4 seems to be better, but actually I think they are very similar but the GS4 screen is so great they look better until you put them on the same device. The v has amazing editing onboard, but I don't use that and the iPhone will have similar ones onboad in a couple of weeks. Oddly, the GS4 will shoot one randomly blurry shot about once in five to ten shots! I am not touching any settings, it just comes out very blurry. It happens enough that I noticed the pattern and I've never seen that on my iPhone.

Neither allows a ringtone per group
I like creating groups with one tone. Besties. Lovers. People to avoid. Etc. I hear the tone and I know if I should run to or away from my phone without even looking at it. My Palm phone did this. Too bad none of these phones do.

Neither phone flips screen upside down
Oddly the iPad does! Why did they not allow that on the iPhone. Why does it matter? GPS or Pandora in your car cup holder while plugged in. I had one iPhone GPS app that DID flip 180. I loved it. Plug in phone, put upside down in cup holder, map flips over and you are good to go.

Summary
The GS4 has lots of great pros, but if I can't fix say the first three to five of the cons above, I'll be heading back to my iPhone when the next model comes out.
77 comments16 of 20 people found this helpful. Was this review helpful to you?YesNoReport abuse