4.0 out of 5 stars Sharp, Solid, but Harder to Hold than IPhone 4
I have been using the iPhone starting with the very first one. It was expensive back then. So, in comparison, today's prices really are not that bad. So my thoughts on the iPhone 5 are:

Published 18 months ago by Tristan

1.0 out of 5 stars Lisited a locked iphone5 as "Unlocked"
It was listed as "Unlocked" iphone5, but it was locked, my friend took the phone back to China, couldn't use it and needed to send back.
Published 17 months ago by Qi Li

1.0 out of 5 stars Lisited a locked iphone5 as "Unlocked", April 26, 2013
Qi Li (New Haven, CT United States) - See all my reviews
This review is from: Apple iPhone 5, Black 16GB (Unlocked) (Wireless Phone Accessory)

1.0 out of 5 stars It is NOT UNLOCKED, October 9, 2013
The iphone came quickly, but after inserting the nano-simcard, we realize the iphone is locked and attached to At&T network, it means that works only with AT&T network. What can I do to unlock it? the Iphone is now in colombia because it was supposed to be a gift.

1.0 out of 5 stars All accessories non-original and the phone is not good condition some time the signal is dose not works.., November 11, 2013
All accessories non-original and the phone is not good condition some time the signal is dose not works and the WARRANTY is not apple care ..

1.0 out of 5 stars Amazon sent me the wrong iPhone, December 9, 2013
I bought an UNLOCKED iPhone 5 and Amazon sent me a locked one. The seller said they will contact the carrier to unlock it "immediately" but it seems they don't care about the time... I just realized that after 5 days they did not contacted the carrier, but now. I don't really know what to do because I am from Venezuela and nobody want to be responsible of their mistake and I have an iPhone just like a suvinier on my desk. PS: This is the first time I bought something in Amazon, and this is what I get!

4.0 out of 5 stars Sharp, Solid, but Harder to Hold than IPhone 4, March 13, 2013

1) Retina display is awesome. Everything looks more defined and sharper. It is like wearing glasses for the first time! There is much color and clarity out there... or should I say, in those digital images and videos... needless to say, the camera as well captures great images.
2) Call quality is excellent, no issues at all. I also like the new earbuds better. They fit my ears better and call signal is very good. By the way, the packaging of the earphones was A+++.
3) Build - same as all previous iPhones, maybe a tad sturdier. I dropped my phone last night when I got off my car, so it now has a skid mark one of the aluminum corners - boy am I happy it was just a ragged little nick on the outer antenna (corner). The glass did not shatter or crack. The aluminum back wasn't scratched. Of course the way it fell may have mattered, but still, a drop on our concrete garage floor is a drop. The experience speaks well of Apple.
4) Size and shape - this is where I took out a star. The increased screen size looks good. But a longer, thinner, "uniform-flatness" shape - although indeed a great form factor visually - does not translate into a comfortable hold. I feel like I am holding on to only the right and left side of the phone, almost daintily (like holding a small teacup with your little pinky upturned). My thumb on one side, and my pointer and third finger on the other. The back does not even touch my palm. I am not sure how others hold their phones, but I feel a little awkward with this one. I am tempted to but a bulky case (like some ugly Otterbox or one with extended battery) but then it wouldn't look as trendy.

So I leave it at that. I love my phone and I use it a lot, mostly for communication purposes, and not for entertainment. But I am still adjusting to how I am supposed to hold this neat little thing comfortably. iPhone 4's shape was better, in my opinion, but everything else about the 5 is better than 4 or 4S.

To each his own! This review is not an all-encompassing review, so read it with a grain of salt, and most of all, enjoy your new phone, whatever it may be!

1.0 out of 5 stars IT was not a new phone and the accessories are fake, November 26, 2013
I bought this phone this August and found that the serial number of this phone is different with the serial number printed on the box. Then I checked online and found that this phone actually was activated last December. I was shocked and did more research about this phone and its accessories. Unfortunately the accessories are fake.

This product was sold on amazon and marked "by apple", and the review looks good too. So I just bought it without any doubt.

Please check the serial number of your phone if you bought it from here.

5.0 out of 5 stars Amazing, June 28, 2013
Product received before informed meeting all my expectations. Indicate to everyone.
iPhone 5 is light, beautiful and elegant. Recomend it.

5.0 out of 5 stars What do the iPhone 5 model numbers mean (A1428 / A1429)?, November 6, 2012
In deciding to go with blazing fast LTE capability in the iPhone 5, Apple was forced to release three different devices to meet compatibility with different LTE network standards worldwide.

The A1428 model iPhone 5 is the Canadian and US AT&T network GSM iPhone, including broad support for UMTS/HSPA+DC-HSDPA (frequencies 850, 900, 1900, 2100 MHz), GSM/EDGE (frequencies 850, 900, 1800, 1900 MHz), and LTE bands 4 and 17.

The A1429 iPhone comes in two different flavors, one CDMA and one GSM. The GSM model is designed to support LTE in Asia (including Hong Kong, Japan, Singapore, and South Korea). This GSM iPhone will also work on LTE in Australia, Germany, and the UK on bands 1, 3, and 5.

The CDMA version of model A1429 works on Sprint's and Verizon's LTE networks in the US, along with the KDDI network in Japan on bands 1, 3, 5, 13, and 25. The CDMA version also supports GSM bands, making the CDMA iPhone 5 compatible with GSM networks. However, the CDMA A1429 will not support LTE on GSM networks in the US.

Full specs from Apple:

GSM model A1428: UMTS/HSPA+/DC-HSDPA (850, 900, 1900, 2100 MHz); GSM/EDGE (850, 900, 1800, 1900 MHz); LTE (Bands 4 and 17)

CDMA model A1429: CDMA EV-DO Rev. A and Rev. B (800, 1900, 2100 MHz); UMTS/HSPA+/DC-HSDPA (850, 900, 1900, 2100 MHz); GSM/EDGE (850, 900, 1800, 1900 MHz); LTE (Bands 1, 3, 5, 13, 25)

GSM model A1429: UMTS/HSPA+/DC-HSDPA (850, 900, 1900, 2100 MHz); GSM/EDGE (850, 900, 1800, 1900 MHz); LTE (Bands 1, 3, 5)

2.0 out of 5 stars Frustrated and disappointed with the iphone 5, April 1, 2013
I've owned iPhones since their first incarnation, and have until now almost always been pleased with the developments made to the next generation over the last, with the exception of the iphone 4 and the design fault that resulted in a complete drop of signal when held in your hand without a case on it (I still own 2 of them, don't believe the spin, they really do drop signal).

The 4s is a great phone, quicker than the 4 and without the signal / aerial debacle.

The iPhone 5 however is a disappointment.

It's thinner apparently, not that you'd notice, especially as due to it's design you have to have it in a case to prevent it from being destroyed by everyday careful usage.

But in order to make it thinner they had (so they say) to change the sync lead / charger lead connector to a new smaller design. If like me you have owned and continue to own previous versions of iPhones, iPods and iPads, and have several chargers, Docks, car connectors and car chargers etc then this new design is really frustrating.

The real reason that Apple changed the design is surely so that everybody has to go out and buy outrageously overpriced adaptors or new leads. I have read that Apple pays less than $0.6 for these leads, yet charges it's customers £25.

Apple have also put a microchip in their leads that the iPhone is set to recognise, without which they are rejected by the iPhone in order to prevent third party manufacturers from producing leads that work properly, hence all the terrible reviews for these 3rd party products.

It's just another of Apple's underhand money making exercises at the customers considerable inconvenience and expense.

It's taller than the iPhone 4s. Some may like this, but I don't. The 4s sits comfortably in your hand and my thumb can reach the top of the screen on the 4s without having to change the position in my hand. I have bigger than average hands too.

It is faster than the 4s, only a little, but it is faster. But this is the only improvement in my eyes.

Battery life is poor, another sacrifice made to the god of (pointless) thinness. It feels cheaper and flimsier than the 4s too.

Maps are a mess. Google maps was so much better on the 4 and 4s.

Instead of this ridiculous connector fiasco, why couldn't we have kept the old and perfectly good connector and had wireless charging too? The technology is there, and would be a great improvement over the current system.

A more robust design would be nice so that they didn't have to live in cases, and a dust and moisture resistant design would be very welcome.

iCloud is fantastic, and so I can't imagine changing phones to another manufacturer until someone else comes out with something at least as good as iCloud.

But when they do, I'll be more than happy to switch allegiance, despite twenty years as a loyal Apple customer.

Apple can only push their customers so far, and I'm becoming more and more fed up with the way Apple is treating it's customers with regard to their infuriating thinness campaign with their phones, iPads, MacBook Pros and iMacs, at the expense of functionality and in a blatant attempt to corner the market and limit customers buying choices in terms of leads, adaptors, connections, music purchasing, app purchasing etc, as are many many other people.

Apple is a great brand and has produced many fantastic products, but the iPhone 5 is not the leap ahead from the 4s that customers had hoped for, and this coupled with frustration and expense incurred by the connector design and the thinness over battery life and durability make it for me a 2 star product.

If you own the 4s I'd suggest hanging on to it and waiting until Autumn for the next hopefully much improved iPhone, or Samsung, or whoever the Apple slayer will be.

1.0 out of 5 stars DANGER!! Buy this product at your own risk!, August 4, 2013
I purchased a new iPhone 5, had it for one week, was having lousy reception in my house, my carrier, T-Mobile, insisted they send me a new iPhone, in case that was the problem. I told them it was a reception issue, not a phone issue--my iPhone worked fine elsewhere. T-Mobile insisted. I swapped out the phone for the one they send, and I still had lousy reception in my house, just as I told them I would.

When T-Mobile got my phone back, they charged me $250 for "liquid-damage." The iPhone has built-in gizmos that supposedly detect liquid damage, like if you drop your phone in the toilet. This one week old phone had never gotten wet, and it worked fine. I learned from a little online research that these liquid damage indicators DO NOT WORK correctly--they often give false positive readings, so much so that Apple just agreed to pay $53 million in a class action lawsuit. Of course, as lawsuits go, this one had a cutoff date, and my case is too late for it. But Wired Magazine and others have demonstrated that Apple has NOT solved the problem and continues to peddle these bogus, non-functioning indicators. And customers like me continue to get screwed. So--buy one of these things at your own risk.

The sad thing is that Apple used to position themselves as the scrappy "outsider" company, the anti-corporation, anti-Big Brother--and now, they have turned into Exxon Mobile, or British Petroleum--remember the oil spill in the Gulf of Mexico? Lie, lie, lie, and steal, steal, steal. Add Apple to that list of companies. Very sad.

Rate and Discover Movies