5.0 out of 5 stars bad reviews are misleading
I read the bad reviews here and they are all very particular and specific and odd (i.e., the problems these people are having will probably never happen to you). This version of the iPod is probably going to be the last in its line before they switch over completely to the iPod Touch version. But when I was trying to figure out which one to go with RIGHT NOW, the Touch...
Published on October 14, 2007 by J. Ventura

957 of 1,117 people found the following review helpful
3.0 out of 5 stars DOWNGRADE to the iPod Classic
Customer Video Review     Length:: 1:10 Mins
This is my third iPod. My first iPod was a 4G 40GB, my second was a 5G 60GB.

When I upgraded from the 4G to 5G it was a big improvement. I absolutely loved the new features such as color, photos, video, album art, etc...

Unfortunately my upgrade to the 80GB iPod `Classic' has been nothing but a big disappointment. When I heard...
Published on September 11, 2007 by Amazon Customer

‹ Previous | 1 2 331 | Next ›

5.0 out of 5 stars Very Cool, December 18, 2007
This review is from: Apple 80 GB iPod Classic 6G - Silver (Discontinued by Manufacturer) (Electronics)
I upgraded from a the 5th generation 8gb nano to the iPod Classic 80gb this week, and though I have only used this iPod several times, I have to say that it is the coolest.

I was anti iPod for a very a long time. They didn't make sense to me; plus I loved going to music stores, combing through the stacks to find something new to take home and listen to. Well, these days it is more difficult to get to the music store, and the RADIO stinks. I went through a few years of really not caring about music. Then I discovered iTunes which is one of the best inventions ever in my opinion. I have discovered so many great musicians and albums through iTunes and have built a fairly large library of music over the past year.

My nano still works great and I will continue to use that in the gym, but my Classic holds all my songs; it sounds better than my nano; it responds better than my nano. Plus, I don't know if this is also a feature of the 5g iPod Video, but I like knowing how many songs are in each of my playlists; I like scrowling the coverflow, stopping on a paticular album, knowing what songs I have from that album.

The Classic really is very cool to play, and it is attractive. I think it is a must have for any music lover out there.

1.0 out of 5 stars No Pain, No Service -- No Ipod, December 22, 2007
Guess what bug Apple didn't catch before releasing the Ipod Classic? The bug that makes the Ipod turn back on a half second after you turn it off. You can't fix this with a reset or restore or letting the battery drain all the way or any of the other common techniques for dealing with Ipod freeze-ups and other common problems. The Ipod jsut keeps running until the battery is dead. You can keep it on a charger but you can't turn it off. So, the many folks that have experienced this problem are waiting for Apple to admit the problem and come up with a fix. Just google "ipod classic won't turn off". It's just incredible, ain't it?

Of two, one broke within the first month- it kept turning itself on. Last year I bought a couple and one wouldn't turn on after about a month. So a 500 batting average seems pretty consistent, although nothing to brag about. According to posted stats, through 1985, Ipods had a 20% failure rate within the first year.

Anyhow, after dutifully going on line to make an appointment for service -- because trying to to do it in the store jsut ends in frustration -- all full today, come back and try again tomorrow --I finally saw a helper after about 40 minutes. Apple calls them "geniuses"; some are knowledgable and some are thick as bricks. It took about 30 seconds to determine that the ipod was broken -- Hey, you turn it off it turns back on within a second. They told me they had none in stock but would have them in a couple days; they'd call me and I could, if I wanted, check the status on-line.

Well, I walked up front and asked a saleperson if they had any 80GB classics in stock. "Loads.! You want to buy one?" The new ones are used when you bring back an ipod for replacment, even if the ipod is brand new. And I can't check status on-line because all it says for my case ID is "status not available"and that's avfter 3 days. And if I call the store, they tell me the any day now, just wait for a call or check on line. A Year ago I waited for them to call and after more than a week -- no messages left, no missed calls, I finally called them and they said oh sure your replacement has been here for days, why didn't you come pick it up.

Walking past the one-on-one Apple "Training table" I saw a sign that said, "No pain, no gain." I thought, "No pain, no service."

5.0 out of 5 stars iPod Classic Up to my Expectations, November 19, 2007
D. Sanchez Oliva (Caracas, Venezuela) - See all my reviews
I was afraid to buy this item because of the bad reviews. However I went for it anyway and the iPod Classic is upt to may expectations. It is fast enough and reliable for my tastes. I have to remember it is a portable device and sometimes even iTunes on my computer can lag a little loading Album Covers the first time I load them. So I think it is an excellent product and a very good price.

3.0 out of 5 stars Visually Appealing, Technically Disappointing, April 17, 2008
The 80GB silver iPod is my second iPod that I've owned, the first being a Shuffle, which I had given to me as a gift for my running endevours. Needless to say, I eventually got to the point where I want more than 1GB of music with me at a time (though I still think the Shuffle is the best thing for going on a jog, since it clips securely on to anything in reach), and I went out and bought the 80GB, since I'd heard such great things about some of the other models from Apple, and my music collection, at the time, didn't exceed 30GB. I'd heard a lot of great things about Apple, and I hate to say it, but really, it's only been a mediocre MP3 player for me, which is disappointing, considering Apple's preceding reputation.

I'll start with the good:

1) The graphics. Really, you can't beat the interactive graphics that Apple churns out. The color is bright and sharp, and the menus are very user-friendly.

2) The size. It's sleek, visually appealing, and still can fit in my pocket, or clip easily onto my bag if I'm walking.

3) The sound quality. I have Bose headphones, and the sound over those is great: Cryatal clear, with no static, and the volume is very well-balanced.

4) The iTunes interface is very easy to set-up, given you have the time to do so, and once the songs and albums are all organized, it's very easy to change information and sync it with the iPod. The one sticking point is that it doesn't read WMA files, and iTunes will convert those happily to AAC (though this uses up twice the amount of space on your hard drive, since then you end up with duplicates of each music file), but if you have MP3s, or MP4s, you won't have any problems.

5) The clickwheel. It's a very user-friendly sort of invention, and a novelty all it's own. It makes scrolling through menus and songs very simple and fast, especially since it will automatically switch to alphabetization mode if you scroll quickly enough.

Now, the bad:

1) The hardware freezes. I found this a bit ironic, that the entire thing would freeze, forcing me to re-boot it manually at random times during syncs, especially when you considers Apple's platform against Windows, and it's "never fail" software.

2) The lag with the graphics. Considering that one of the major selling points for the classic is it's album cover-flow, it would be nice if there wasn't a lag in the loading of artwork while scrolling. It's more of an annoyance that a true hardship, but with the price on the hardware, it's slightly unacceptable.

3) The organization and categorization. While the menus are easy to use, categorizing is often horribly done. For instance, while floating through the coverflow, or album list, you come across an album not sorted by the album title, but by the artist for the song on that album, which means that you have multiples of one album to go through, especially if you have a compilation CD. This didn't make much sense to me, considering that most people don't search for an album that way in their own music collection. The look for the CD itself, not the individual artists for each track.

4) Certain files just won't play. I had a problem with a few CDs where the MP3s were different bit rates, and since the speeds didn't correspond, my iPod wouldn't play them until I converted them to matching speeds. (Usually the 192kps works the best.) I found this really vexing, because iTunes would play the songs without problem, and it wasn't until I tried the same songs on the iPod by itself that they refused to play, even though the cover work and song titles were still displayed.

5) Files bought on iTunes can't be shared, or exchanged anywhere outside of the iTunes set-up upon which they were purchased. Useless if I switch computers or hard-drives, or if I want to transfer those files to a data disc. I never bother to purchase anything from iTunes as a result, and stick to good old-fashioned MP3s.

6) The clickwheel. It doesn't work very well with the silicon skins, and in cold weather, or if your fingers tend to be colder (as mine are), it sometimes doesn't work at all, since response is heat-sensitive. There is nothing more annoying than sliding your finger around on a white peice of plastic, trying to scroll though a menu, and having absolutely nothing happen.

Overall? Apple has a pretty tough grasp on the MP3 market, and the amount of outside file sharing they welcome is very limited, which is annoying when you can't find another means for an issue except to go through Apple. Other than that, the interface is very user-friendly, and the sound quality is superb. I like the experience overall, but I don't think I'll be purchasing another in the future.

4.0 out of 5 stars Great new edition of the iPod, except you can play any iTunes games, September 10, 2007
jackback52 (South Bay, Southern California) - See all my reviews
I would have given this model 5 stars but for the simple fact that any games bought from the iTunes store WILL NOT play on the ipod claasic. Tetris, Ms Pacman, and soduku will be upgraded (Stated in itunes games section) but its unknown if the updates will come to those that have already purchased these games or any of the other games on the store will be compatabile with the new ipod classic.

come on steve don't let us down

1.0 out of 5 stars A Mixed Bag...If 1st ipod it's great, if not WORST EVER!, March 30, 2008
I have a previous gen ipod (like millions of others), and like all of these people have many great secondary products to enhance my ipod (99% of which Apple doesn't make because they have never really been interested in peripheral products...until now). The 2 most important is a car connection which ties in through the docking-port to provide song/title info, and the second is through a Yamaha docking station which ties into the TV and supports music, video, and most importantly pictures (GREAT on an LCD).

Now that Apple has decided they want a bigger piece of the "Add-On" market they have designed the "New" 6 gen ipod to tie into only their products. Some of the secondary products still work for MUSIC ONLY, but my car dock no longer recognizes my ipod because the interface is not backward compatible. My Yamaha dock supports ONLY music, no video/pics/etc. Furthermore the games I purchased are no longer supported (APPLE DOESN'T EVEN SUPPORT THEIR OWN PRODUCTS FOR BACKWARDS COMPATIBILITY). This is the 1st time this has ever happened for any generation.

So...if this is your first ipod, and you have never bought supported add-on products (which there are thousands), I would buy this and be happy, just make sure any add-on product you buy for your new toy supports the 6th generation.

If you are like me and have been enjoying your ipod for many years with great add-on products, find a refurbished 5.5 gen which is FULLY backwards compatible. Apple has created a product for the new customer, all other owners are now asked to throw away everything they have purchased in the past and start over will all new 6 gen products made buy guess who...Apple!

1.0 out of 5 stars IPOD Classic 160 Gig, January 31, 2008
My first and last Apple product. The click wheel is SLOW, SLOW, SLOW! Surprise - the TV out works only with expensive Apple cables - I bought the $50 cables they are terrible. They are cheap and slippery - very hard to use. No remote control of video.

Just got a gift of a 80 gig Zune. Stuck the IPOD 160 Classic in a drawer - the Zune is MUCH better. Zune has video out - video remote - is faster than the IPOD - has a bigger and better screen - etc.. Wish I could get my money back for the IPOD. DO NOT BUY the IPOD 160, it is a waste of money.

3.0 out of 5 stars Latest Generation has problems, October 22, 2007
This latest 6th gen seems to have some OS problems. It works, but the interface is very slow. Also, when listening to podcasts (or any music really), selecting a song to listen to often fails to start the song or podcast and has to be pressed again, or it will play the next song instead. I have a 5th gen 30GB which has neither of these problems. It's very annoying. I don't think I could live without an ipod these days, but I wish they'd spend some more on quality control.

2.0 out of 5 stars lots of bugs, dissapointed, September 23, 2007
I had a 5.5 gen IPOD before but decided to get Classic this week since it has larger storage and is thiner. I got it Friday, but I have been disappointed with the issues I encountered.

1) The new IPOD already crashed once and I have to reboot it. I never rebooted my previous IPOD 5.5.
2) Sometimes I connect the IPOD with computer, the IPOD didn't show
the connected sign. Replug the cable didn't help and I have to reboot
the IPOD to make it connected.
3) I upgraded Itunes to 7.4.2 so that I can use this IPOD. The iTunes
told me there is a IPOD software version 1.0.1 available which I expect
they have some patches. But the upgrade failed because of some "1415"
error.

I believe all of those issues will get fixed in the following few months.
But I'm still disappointed, they should have done more testing before
putting it on market.

2 stars for what they did. I'll keep this ipod for 1 more week and will
return it if I still have problems with it.

5.0 out of 5 stars Don't Believe All The Reviews, October 8, 2007
I've never written a review before, but felt I had to this time because some of the negative reviews here almost kept me from buying a terrific product. Specifically, I was concerned about comments about the scroll wheel not functioning properly, and about comments about accessories for previous iPods not working on the Classic.

Fortunately, I went to Best Buy and was able to play with their display model for quite a while. I used the scroll wheel extensively and found that I had no problems with it at all.

All my accessories for my iPod minis work with the Classic, including my AC charger and the adapter I use to listen to the iPod through my car radio.

I was surprised at how watchable video is on the Classic; I thought the small screen would be impossible. But, the picture quality is so good that I actually find that I would watch videos on this iPod while traveling. I've been converting video files and loading them onto the Classic with zero problems.

I've had no problems syncing the Classic with iTunes either. I wonder if those having problems are limited by computer resources. I have a HP Pavilion running XP with 2Gb of RAM.

All in all, I'm thrilled with the Classic and strongly recommend that folks check it out for themselves rather than just believing the reviews (including this one!).

‹ Previous | 1 2 331 | Next ›