Inside its 2-inch-tall, 6.5-inch-square anodized aluminum enclosure, the Mac mini houses the fast Intel Core 2 Duo processor.
Continuing Apple's commitment to the environment, the Mac mini exceeds current Energy Star 5.0 requirements by consuming less than 14 watts when idle 45 percent less power than the previous generation. It's also made from highly recyclable aluminum, uses PVC-free internal components and cables, contains no brominated flame retardants, and even features smaller packaging.
It comes pre-loaded with Apple's Mac OS X 10.6 Snow Leopard operating system--an operating system custom-designed for the advanced technology inside--and it also comes with the iLife '09 suite of applications, including iPhoto, iMovie, Garageband, and iTunes.
- Faster 2.53 GHz Intel Core 2 Duo processor helps you breeze through everyday tasks such as emailing, web browsing, and working with documents, spreadsheets, and presentations in iWork or Microsoft Office for Mac (both sold separately).
- 320 GB hard drive (5400 RPM)
- 4 GB installed RAM (1066 MHz DDR3; maximum capacity)
- NVIDIA GeForce 9400M graphics processor (with 256 MB of DDR3 SDRAM shared with main memory) for an outstanding everyday graphics experience
- 8x slot-loading SuperDrive with double-layer DVD support (DVD±R DL/DVD±RW/CD-RW)
- Wi-Fi wireless networking (based on 802.11n specification; 802.11a/b/g compatible)
- Gigabit Ethernet wired networking (10/100/1000BASE-T)
- Bluetooth 2.1 + EDR (Enhanced Data Rate) for connecting with peripherals such as keyboards, mice and cell phones
- Dual video output options with Mini DisplayPort and Mini-DVI (includes Mini-DVI to DVI Adapter; optional Mini-DVI to VGA Adapter)
- Built-in mono speaker
- Combined optical digital output/headphone output (also includes line-in/microphone jack)
- Dimensions: 6.5 x 6.5 x 2 inches (WxDxH)
- Weight: 2.9 pounds
What's in the box
Mac mini; Mini-DVI to DVI Adapter; 110W power adapter and power cord; install/restore DVDs; printed and electronic documentation
Limited Warranty And Service
The Mac mini comes with 90 days of free telephone support and a one-year limited warranty. Purchase the AppleCare Protection Plan to extend your service and support to three years from your computer's purchase date. Only the AppleCare Protection Plan provides you with direct telephone support from Apple technical experts and the assurance that repairs will be handled by Apple-authorized technicians using genuine Apple parts.
Intel Core 2 Duo Processor
Experience improved energy efficiency and improved multitasking with the 2.53 GHz Intel Core 2 Duo processor, which also offers an ultra-fast 1066 MHz front-side bus (FSB) and a large 3 MB L2 cache. (An L2, or secondary, cache temporarily stores data; and a larger L2 cache can help speed up your system's performance. The FSB carries data between the CPU and RAM, and a faster front-side bus will deliver better overall performance.)
The hafnium-infused circuitry--which reduces electrical current leakage in transistors--conserves even more energy. With a substantial 3 MB of shared L2 cache, data and instructions can be kept close to the two processor cores, greatly increasing performance and allowing the entire system to work more efficiently. And, because the processor cores share the L2 cache, either can use the entire amount if the other happens to be idle.
The Mac mini features the NVIDIA GeForce 9400M integrated graphics processor for up to five times better graphics performance than its predecessor, and its dual display support can drive two Apple or third-party displays with Mini DisplayPort or DVI connections. The NVIDIA GeForce 9400M shares 256 MB of DDR3 SDRAM with main memory. You'll notice the difference when you work with high-resolution photos and high-definition video, where graphics-intensive features in iPhoto and iMovie are smoother. And 3D game play--from Spore to Call of Duty--is faster and more responsive.
The built-in 802.11n wireless networking provides up to five times the performance and twice the range of 802.11g, but it's also backward-compatible with 802.11a/b/g routers, enabling you to communicate with the a wide variety of Wi-Fi resources. It works seamlessly with the new AirPort Extreme with 802.11n. Use the built-in Bluetooth wireless technology to connect to your PDA or cell phone, synchronize addresses, or download pictures from your cell phone. You can also use a wireless headset for iChat audio chats and VoIP calls as well as quickly share files with a colleague.
Pre-Loaded with Mac OS X Snow Leopard and iLife '09
- Mac OS X v10.6 Snow Leopard (includes Time Machine, Quick Look, Spaces, Spotlight, Dashboard, Mail, iChat, Safari, Address Book, QuickTime, iCal, DVD Player, Photo Booth, Front Row, Xcode Developer Tools)
- iLife '09 (includes iPhoto, iMovie, GarageBand, iWeb, iDVD)
A Mac also doesn't contain a lot of toxic materials. All Mac displays are mercury and arsenic free, and the internal components are free of polyvinyl chloride (PVC) and brominated flame retardants (BFRs).
Mac mini includes a highly efficient power supply that reduces the amount of power wasted when bringing electricity from the wall to your computer. Lower power consumption reduces energy bills and lessens the environmental impact of greenhouse gas emissions from power plants.
Advanced Power Management
Unlike a lot of Windows-based PC systems, Mac mini uses energy-efficient hardware components that work hand in hand with the operating system to conserve power. Mac OS X spins down hard drives and activates sleep mode. And it balances tasks across both central processors and graphics processors. Mac OS X never misses a power-saving opportunity, no matter how small. It even regulates the processor between keystrokes, reducing power between the letters you type. That's just one of many ways Apple manages small amounts of power that add up to big savings.
Mac mini is a great example of Apple's energy-efficient design philosophy. It uses less than 14 watts of power when idle--that's something no other desktop computer can do.2
ENERGY STAR Qualification
Mac mini meets the stringent low power requirements set by the EPA, giving it ENERGY STAR qualification. ENERGY STAR 5.0 sets significantly higher efficiency limits for power supplies and aggressive limits for the computer's typical annual power consumption.