Automotive Holiday Deals Books Gift Guide Books Gift Guide Shop Men's Athletic Shoes Learn more nav_sap_SWP_6M_fly_beacon Adele egg_2015 All-New Amazon Fire TV Subscribe & Save Gifts Under $50 Amazon Gift Card Offer bf15 bf15 bf15 $30 Off Amazon Echo Starting at $49.99 Kindle Black Friday Deals Shop Now HTL

• Customer Reviews

on October 4, 2012
All that I can find with the new release is the updated colors, the rest looks the same. This is still 4th generation Apple iPod Shuffle (from wikipedia, this new color refresh is still under 4th generation category).

This product is small, actually very small. I know you can use your iPhones or Androids and even get more storage space than this, but shuffle has a different target of users, mostly for active and on the go users. This is perfect for exercising, running, walking, etc. Just clip it to your shirt and your ready to go.

If your the type of user who wants to put all your mp3s to your mp3 player, then you might want to find a different player thas has larger capacity , as this one has only 2gb of space. You should still be able to put hundreds of songs here especially if your songs bitrate compression is not very high.

Some of the basic functionalities:

Shuffle switch
Left - shuffle music
Middle - play in order
Right - turn off

VoiceOver button
Single click - hear current track and artist
Single click and hold - hear playlist menu.
Double click - hear battery status

- Tiny (this can also be a con, in a way like since it's tiny, it's also easy to lose or misplace)
- 15hr play time
- Colors refreshed for the 2012 release model
- Physical buttons
- High quality anodized aluminum

- Expensive (In my opinion, $49 for 2gb is expensive)
- No option for a higher storage capacity

What you get in the box:
- iPod shuffle
- Apple Earphones
- iPod shuffle USB Cable
- Quick Start guide

I'm highly recommending iPod shuffle. But do your research first if you want this kind of mp3 player..
1111 commentsWas this review helpful to you?YesNoReport abuse
I bought the ipod shuffle because the ipod touch just seemed a little too big and a little too involved to take with me while running. It shames me to even say that... years ago I ran with a walkman cassette player that probably weighed 4 lbs and was about 50x as big... Anyway, for my purposes, the shuffle is perfect. It is tiny, light weight, and has a clip that will actually hold it onto your clothing pretty much anywhere you want to clip it. The controls are intuitive and not nearly as involved as the ipod touch. Mind you, I'm not putting down the ipod touch at all, it's just that while running I don't want to have to press a button, swipe the bottom and then hope I was holding it upright so that I can change a song or adjust the volume. The shuffle solves all those issues for me. I might have liked just a little more memory.... but honestly 2 gigs is still a ton of music. New to this "latest generation" are some new colors (though I personally don't really care much about the fashion aspect of a 1 inch square device) and the voice over button... "Siri" is now in the shuffle. Press the button and a voice tells you the name of the song and the group. A little bit of overkill in my opinion, but still pretty impressive. If you buy one I hope it works out as well for you and thanks for taking the time to read my review.

Update: May 28, 2014. After a year and a half roughly I've managed to cause damage to the iPod shuffle. I was running and got caught in a serious downpour 4 miles from home. The shuffle was clipped to the top of my shorts with a shirt over it, but the shirt was completely drenched and therefore the shuffle got exposed to a fair amount of water. It will still turn on, but the Pause/play button is now stuck on. When you press that button for 3 seconds, the buttons lock. So, I can turn on the shuffle, but after three seconds the buttons no longer function. I can manipulate volume with a button on my earbuds. I am going to buy another shuffle (unless someone on here has an idea of how to fix mine....) and I'm not going to change my rating on the shuffle. I still think it is a fantastic little piece of equipment. I exposed it to a very extreme circumstances. (Short of jumping in a pool with it I probably couldn't have gotten it wetter.) I can't blame the company or the design for what happened and in my opinion the fact that I have no qualms in purchasing another tells the story. Thanks again for taking the time to read my review.
1717 commentsWas this review helpful to you?YesNoReport abuse
on October 29, 2012
I listen to music a lot through out the day (in my car, work, school, gym) and didn't like using my phone for music because it killed my battery. I also didn't want to spend too much for something for music (seeing that my phone could do this.), so I purchased this.

I have to admit, I was extremely pleased with this.

-Battery seems better than previous models of shuffles Ive owned before (Just my opinion, nothing really to back this up). I use it constantly, and have never had any problem with the battery life.

-Size is GREAT. I purchased the Product RED edition through the Apple Store (color is beautiful). Keep in mind, this little guy is TINY. So I would recommend you buy a bright colored one to help locate it. The clip is also firm and will not easily get loose.

-Works great running through an auxiliary input in my car.

-Memory seems acceptable. 2 gigs isn't much, but not too stingy.

-Built seems sturdy. Ive dropped this an embarrassing amount of times and have had absolutely nothing happen to it.

-I must say, I am not too sure whether this model is different from the previous one. I know they added some colors to the selection, but as far as the device itself, I am not too sure whether something changed. With this said, this did not come with the new EarPods all new iPods come with but did included the regular Apple headphones and charging cable. While I was a bit disappointed, it was not a major issue.

*- My personal favorite: Again, I apologize for my lack of knowledge on this device (as well as previous models too), but I am not sure if the past shuffles had the ability to support podcast. I listen to my list of podcast weekly, and was extremely happy to see support for this. Its amazing, I'm able to change playlists, switch to podcast, find out the amount of battery remaining, and listen to the name of the song, artist and album I am listening to, all with a single little button.

-The one complaint I have is the size of the charging cable. I have had this problem with previous models. The cable is maybe 2 inches long. This hasn't been much of a problem because I charge it into my keyboard Usb port. However, I can see how this might be a problem for some people.

Over all, I was extremely pleased with this. If you need something cheap,small, and lightweight that you don't have to be as careful with as compared to your phone, this is definitely for you.

If you want something with a screen, to hold a lot of songs, and maybe a bit bigger, this is NOT for you.

For my needs, this was perfect.
33 commentsWas this review helpful to you?YesNoReport abuse
on October 3, 2012
I have used many a different kind of MP3 players. The Shuffle doesn't hold the most songs, but it is very convenient to use on the go.
Many people say "Why not just use your phone?" Heres why I think it rocks for active peoples:

The shuffle is small and light and I don't notice that I'm wearing it.
The clip is very strong and it doesn't come off my clothes while running.
I can smash it and probably run it over with a car but the aluminum won't break like a screen.
I can change songs without stopping and fiddling with a touchscreen iPod because the controls are intuitive and the buttons protrude.

These are some main reasons why the shuffle is my player for going to the gym and banging it up, running/biking with it (be careful!) and even swimming with it.

Recently I found some guys in San Diego called "Waterfi" who sell a waterproofed version on Amazon that works great for swimming. I sent mine in to be modified Waterfi Waterproof/Shockproof iPod Shuffle Swim Kit with Waterproof Headphones (NEW MODEL) Its worth it if you spend alot of time in the water. Lastly, it seems like only the colors have changed since the last listing, everything else looks the same. I love the Slate!
on November 10, 2012
LO-O-O-O-O-O-V-V-E my little Shuffle! Pin it to my shirt, pick up my paint brush and spend the whole day in my Studio painting away!!
It is unobtrusive, convenient and cute as a bug! Holds lots of my kind of music and just keeps on giving! Better than a hands-free phone, even. ;-) Everyone should have one to keep their feet dancing and their moods light.
11 commentWas this review helpful to you?YesNoReport abuse
on November 8, 2012
I'd probably give it 3.5 stars, but realize I need to justify the lower-than-average rating. First of all, the reason I bought this is that I have work constraints in that I need an mp3 player that has no voice recording capability, no wi-fi, no direct usb connection, no video recording capability. So it's odd to say but some of the Apple products work precisely because of their lack of features.

1. Very small and great for exercising. Smart how the headphone jack also doubles as the USB connector, which helps reduce the size.
2. Solid construction with an aluminum exterior.
3. The VoiceOver feature works surprisingly well. Having a screen also would be nice but VoiceOver is great while working out because you don't have to look down to know what song you're on.
4. Good sized buttons.
5. For some of us the lack of recording is a feature.
6. Attractive design. The silver is especially nice as it somewhat matches the included headphones (which aren't very good but any devices included headphones rarely are).
7. Surprisingly good sound quality,
8. iTunes store still has the most content.

1. The device is so small that whenever I try to use the clip I have to press against the rewind button on the other side of the clip. (edit on 11/21 - After some experience using the device I'm able to use the clip without hitting this button)
2. This is a known entity but I run Linux and it's a pain to have to run iTunes with a device like this, there are some workarounds but Apple tries to prevent you from using it like any other mass storage device.
3. It kind of goes against the iTunes/iPod model of syncing your whole library, since it's too small (2 GB) to fit most libraries. There is a manual sync method in iTunes and then it involves manually creating playlists and syncing them.
4. Kind of expensive for the limited amount of features it provides.

I used to own a Sansa Clip+ and if I didn't have the work constraints I would have preferred that device. The Clip+ is only $35 but has 4 GB, a voice recorder, an OLED screen, an FM receiver, an expandable micro SD card slot, equalizer adjustable on the fly, plays DRMed WMAs and plays Ogg Vorbis, and is easier to clip onto things. It is, however, made of plastic and the clip broke on me after a year and a half of a fair amount of use, so I'll give the advantage to the shuffle on that. I don't know if the Clip+ default firmware supports it but Rockbox provides a VoiceOver like functionality. With Rockbox you can enable more firmware features like dynamic range compression.
1515 commentsWas this review helpful to you?YesNoReport abuse
on February 25, 2013
It works great it holds 280 songs with voice over loaded, it charged in about 3hrs IT NEEDS BETTER INSTRUCTIONS FROM APPLE IN MANUAL MODE.
on October 30, 2012
I had a classic Ipod 8g and it was just too much for me. I don't know that many songs and if I did there is no way to listen to them all. There was no place I could clip it on because it was too big. I bought this little shuffle and I am so loving it. It has just the right amount of songs that I can put on and it is easily able to clip onto anything. Sometimes I have it clipped onto my belt loop when I am at work I have no worries with it. This is one of the better technology toys I have. Small, pretty colors, price is affordable and the sound is great. What more can you ask for.
on December 1, 2014
The ipod was not look new. The ear phone plug is cracking, under the clip had a crack on the side with scratches all over the case. I am so disappointed to see a supposedly new item look so in bad condition. I disliked this item. I want my money returned or change this product. Ipod supposed to be new
review image review image
on December 23, 2014
There's not much left to say which hasn't been already covered. What I did not know is that there is a tiny light on top which momentarily glows green/yellow/orange to indicate battery level. This is clearly designed for exercise activities, don't be too concerned about a designer color because it will be very hard for anyone to see anyway.

I have used this for eight hours and still have a good charge. I have loaded 50 songs, I have no idea how many it will hold. I did not have too much trouble uploading music from iTunes, it just took a couple of tries though. No matter how the size is described, you'll be surprised at how small the Shuffle actually is. I'm attaching a photo.

The clothing clip seems firm enough, but I either double over the fabric or keep it in a top pocket, even if it comes unclipped, the earphone jack is so secure the Shuffle would just dangle from your earphone cords, it would be probably hard to lose. All in all, this delivers nice, separated channels. Just don't buy it with the expectation it will do anything other than play music.
review image