I bought this 16GB as an upgrade from my 8GB Touch, and what a relief to finally have enough space for all my music and some videos into the bargain! I'm also very happy that this is available at what I consider to be a much more reasonable price for a 16GB Flash player (at $320 which is what I got mine for). So, here's the things I love about the 16GB Touch:...
Published on February 29, 2008 by Alan

2.0 out of 5 stars I'm On My Third IPod Touch
Published on April 28, 2008 by Bonnie Jo Davis

5.0 out of 5 stars Ahhh, finally enough space, definitely a worthwhile upgrade from 8GB!, February 29, 2008
Alan "Choklat Luvr" (Sanford, FL, United States) - See all my reviews
(VINE VOICE)    (REAL NAME)
This review is from: Apple iPod touch 16 GB (1st Generation) (Discontinued by Manufacturer) (Electronics)

1) Big beautiful screen
2) Touch screen interface
3) Wifi connectivity with Safari, iTunes and YouTube built right into the main screen. Its awesome, I love to watch a few YouTube clips during my lunch break at the spot with the free Wifi.
4) Changeable background, finally!
5) Sleek form factor slides nicely into my pocket.
6) Don't have to use it as a cell phone (ok I'm a little biased against the iPhone, I admit it so its ok).
7) Flips back and forth from landscape to portrait modes depending on how you hold it or what you are viewing.
8) Power/Sleep button, thank you Apple for finally deigning to put a power-ish button on an iPod! Its nice being able to turn off the display at will with a dedicated button.
9) Automatic brightness adjustment, absolute genius!
10) Seems to remember where you left off on every video on the unit, awesome feature I love it!
11) iTunes: for any iPod you have to count the flawless relationship with iTunes as a big plus, you just can't beat it for reliability, ease of use and great features (and believe me I've tried!) And the automatic firmware updates are a big plus. I also like the way you can download calendar and email information through iTunes.
12) Great Now Playing music page, the album art fills the whole screen and by tapping the middle you get immediate access to repeat and shuffle buttons. Now you can now easily shuffle just a playlist, a feature that has been hard to find on previous iPods.
13) Like any other iPod, accessories abound and are easily purchased just about anywhere!
14) Apple customer service is good imo, they stand behind their product and will replace without much hassle as I know from experience.
15) The great new stuff, Notes, Mapping, stocks, you can customize the home page, email, etc.
16) Quick access to play/volume buttons even when its locked (by double-clicking on the home button)... so I can save on the battery and still have quick access while listening to music.

But of course, nothing is perfect. I give this a 5 stars because it is such a great innovation for Apple and a great product, but that doesn't mean that its without flaws and here's the ones I've noticed so far:

1) Touch screen can be a bit frustrating, often doesn't feel me and often I miss the button I'm aiming for with my fat fingers (they feel fat when trying to hit keyboard buttons on that screen anyway!). I understand that this is a "Capacitance" screen which means you can't use a stylus or your fingernail, you have to register firm contact with your flesh on the screen. I have also had occasional problems with the touch screen (or parts of it) locking up. However, a reset (hold sleep and home buttons down at the same time for at least 10 seconds!) of the unit seems to fix the problem every time.
2) Screen flipping: although this is a cool concept it can be annoying sometimes. Occasionally the screen flips as I'm moving around and I didn't want it to. So I sit there twisting the thing to and fro trying to get the alignment I want. Wouldn't it be nice if you could lock it into the perspective you want and it would just stay there (is anybody at Apple listening?)
3) Hard to operate "blind", as I walk around I like to be able to pause/play or adjust volume without having to look at the screen. Very easy to do on my Classic iPod, almost impossible on the Touch. I have to pull it out of my pocket almost every time I want to pause or adjust the volume. I miss having dedicated play and volume buttons, I think it was a mistake to get rid of them... one thing I like about the Archos and Classic!
4) Sound quality is not quite as good as my iPod Classic or my Archos 605, I've tried it on speakers and headphones and the Video has just a little bit cleaner smoother sound especially at high volume.
5) No built in USB port!
6) Customization options for sound EQ and User Interface themes are still pretty limited when compared to a player like the iRiver Clix2.

Overall, its an awesome innovative, trendsetting, and fun product and if you really like having the coolest mp3 playing toys (like me!) and money is not a major concern I say what are you waiting for?

2.0 out of 5 stars I'm On My Third IPod Touch, April 28, 2008
I was given an IPod touch as a gift last fall when they first came out. At first I used it only for music then I started purchasing TV shows from ITunes. Television episodes, music and movies on the "touch" pixelated in the middle of watching/listening and threw me back to the home screen. The onscreen controls were not responsive so I couldn't get back to the spot where the skip happened. I sent my IPod in for service and it came back saying "we couldn't replicate the problem". As soon as I tried it the behavior started again. I exchanged my engraved gift for a refurbished unit at the Apple Store and it had the same problem. I went back again yesterday and they gave me a brand new unit. So I'm on my third "touch" since last fall and if you check Apple's forums you'll see this is a common problem. I just can't recommend this neat little player until they fix the problem.

3.0 out of 5 stars 3 1/2 stars for "hidden" battery issues., June 27, 2008
First off, let me say that the design and functions of the iPod touch work beautifully! All features work superbly. In fact there isn't much that I would change EXCEPT that: this iPod NEEDS to get more than THREE or FOUR hours when using wi-fi. I know that iPods are meant for MUSIC, and the touch seems to be made for videos as well (5-6 hours of video isn't that great either,) but why market this player as having internet, youtube, email access, etc when the touch gets VERY poor battery life when using these functions. If you use this iPod STRICTLY for music, you'll get 24 hours (more or less) of battery life, BUT if you start using wi-fi, you can divide that number by SIX! Now when I say "hidden problems," I mean that Apple does NOT disclose this information on their packaging or website. I probably should have researched a little more before I settled on buying the 16 gb touch, but I figured that if Apple claimed 22 hours for music and 5 hours for video (actually underrated,) then other functions would last at least 5-6 hours. I guess it's really not too much of a problem considering most laptops get similar battery life, but this is considered a MOBILE device, and there are no really fast processors or hard drives to power-up.

Other than battery issues, I can't find too much fault. I wish that Apple would have implemented external volume or track controls instead of having to go through menus, etc. However, I understand that Apple holds its product's form factors in high regards. Another nit-pick is that the price to memory/capacity ratio is pitiful. $400 bucks for 16 gigabytes sounds like the price/hd space ratio of ten years ago. The only reason I even opted for THIS iPod instead of the 80gb Classic was that I had received a $250 giftcard. I would recommend this iPod if you're not strapped for cash, but honestly, you'd be better off buying a small laptop or a PDA if you want wi-fi access. If you want to listen to music, get the classic.

5.0 out of 5 stars ABSOLUTELY AWESOME!!, February 7, 2008
I must wholeheartedly agree with my fellow Houstonian (above review); this device is incredible. This is the only product that has impressed me enough to actually sit down and write a review. The new apps work beautifully, and, the video is impressive. Connectivity is very simple and the controls become second nature in a short time.

I, too, was one who complained about the "limited" storage, but, in reality 16GB is totally adequate for most anyone. How many songs can you listen to, or how many movies/videos can you watch over a given period of time?

A definite buy.

1.0 out of 5 stars hope you live in a temperate climate..., November 9, 2008
Obviously from all these other reviews this is by far the most functional product out there, and I'm not disputing that at all, I loved my Ipod touch, but they have a ridiculously short lifespan. The kicker is that if you as much as sweat on it or expose it to rapidly changing temperatures (as is common in the upper midwest) your warranty is voided and your Ipod might not last long at all.

I just lost an Ipod touch due to moister condensation from taking it from 30 degree weather to 70 degree weather. That created enough condensation to trip the water marker inside the Ipod which voids the warranty and shorted out the screen. To top it off; that one was actually a replacement for another Ipod touch because the first one I got had a phone jack that broke within a month of normal use, and then this one had a faulty screen due to "water damage" and now Apple conveniently doesn't have to replace it anymore.

Just read some of the discussions on Apples site about Ipods and water damage, it literally takes just one drop of water to short it out and void the warranty.

So if your getting one my advice is to live somewhere that doesn't get too cold or put you in situations that allow moisture condensation to happen.

3.0 out of 5 stars Nice PDA, poor MP3 player, May 13, 2008
Michael Swift (Madison, WI USA) - See all my reviews
I bought the iPod touch as a replacement for a 3G iPod. While I find it to be a useful PDA for checking weather, browsing the web, keeping track of my calendar, and reading email, it is much worse as an MP3 player than the iPod:

1. For podcasts, it lacks the podcast description. You get the name, but Apple left out the description of what the show is about. For podcasts without descriptive names, this is a great loss.

2. There is no eyes-free operation when playing music. The screen locks up after a little while, after which you need to pick up the iPod touch and unlock it to access the controls. You can hit the menu button twice, but you still need to be looking at the ipod to see where the controls come up.

3. The ability to look at music horizontally or vertically means that many times it shows you the wrong thing. Not all the controls are visible in the cover-flow view, which seems to be the one that the iPod defaults to when you lay it down on a table.

4. No ability to rate songs as you listen. On older iPods, you could rate a song while you listened to it, but the iPod touch does not seem to have this ability.

Overall, the iPod touch feels like a PDA with limited MP3 and podcast playing capabilities, rather than the other way around.

2.0 out of 5 stars Obsolete even before it arrives, September 6, 2008
As other reviewers have noted, this is a beautifully designed, sleek, highly functional product.

However, as noted in the fine-print above and on Apple's website, the iPod Touch is being sold with firmware (1.1.5) that was replaced by a new version (2.0) two months ago.

Mine arrived 12 hours ago, and instead of enjoying it, I have spent much of that time on the phone with Apple trying to understand how I can buy a brand-new product and receive one WITH OBSOLETE FIRMWARE and then be asked to pay an additional $10 to "upgrade" to the firmware that was released two months before I bought the product.

I find this entirely unacceptable and unprecedented, and it has fully tarnished the image of Apple Inc in my mind.

So for $10, instead of feeling good about my new iPod, I am feeling bitter about the obnoxious company that sold it.

2.0 out of 5 stars Please read before buying, March 30, 2008
Jacqueline C. Falkey (Phelps, NY United States) - See all my reviews
I purchased an IPOD touch w/software updates (3) weeks ago. It is great for music and short videos. But you cannot download large files - such as movies. According to the blogs on apple.com, it appears a large number of people are having the same problem. Your will receive an error message that reads, Ipod cannot be synced, the disk could not be read from or written to.
From the blogs it appears most users are using the software -XP Windows. Please read over the blogs.
I will be returning mine and exchange it for an ipod nano.

5.0 out of 5 stars Let The Music Play!, March 1, 2008
I just purchased two of these from Amazon, I couldn't believe the price, much better than the apple store, and if you purchase from Amazon, they do have a price matching policy for thirty days. The first one was bought for my sixteen year old son who loves it and swears that it is THE BEST IPod that he's ever owned. I have to agree... I LOVE mine as well, the touch screen, the HUGE screen that shows videos, and the really cool show it gives you with the covers of your mp3s that you have on your Ipod. All very cool. The show..well that's what I call it.. is kind of like you are spinning a rack of the CD's that you own and you're trying to decide which ones to pick so you can listen to them. The only difference between this model and the regular 16 gb Ipod Touch is that this comes pre-loaded with the updates that were made available for all Ipod touch users in January at the Itunes store! This way, you don't have to pay the twenty dollars ($20.00) and download them to your Ipod Touch with the USB cord.

I also love the fact that they redesigned the head phones so that they fit in my ears a little better. I thought the others were too big and always hurt my little ears. They just never fit right. Another thing that you never have to worry about again is that click wheel on the old Ipods, which was always one of my major complaints with the older models. I really hated that feature and always "clicked over" or "clicked past" something I wanted. So, needless to say, I'm so not sad to see that go!

I've owned quite a few Ipods, as well as my son, and now the only complaint I have is what to do with our old ones! : )

The new Ipod Touch is just beautiful to look at. It's a great conversation piece and it keeps you occupied for hours. If you are a music lover, an Ipod is a must. Watching videos and the like isn't a chore anymore...with a too small screen to enjoy the actual video...it's like the OLD MTV. Remember when they actually ONLY played VIDEOS?? : )

I love the easy interface and set up of these mp3 players. Anyone can use it. It's easy to update your Ipod with the songs you want and the ones you want to remove. The new You Tube feature is very cool as well. Just type in what video *or whatever you'd like to watch* and there it is, on your screen, for free! I love the fact that I don't have to go on my computer to purchase songs if I don't want to and can do so wirelessly with the WiFi feature it's made quite simple. That was a big plus when deciding to buy.

I also understand that besides being able to RENT movies on this little Ipod, they are also going to have new updates every now and then that you can buy to make it a little better. The newest update package for January includes the Weather, Stocks, Email, Maps and Notes. These applications can also be bought in the itunes store just like the movie rentals. Awesome! You can also move the keys around on the front of the touch screen to better suit your needs as well. I LOVE THIS THING! I am sure there will be much more to come, but I can't say it enough...that I Love it and I Love it the way it is. But I have to admit, the more I can do with it, the better it seems. I'm so happy with this purchase and would recommend it to anyone.

So if you are thinking of getting one, contemplating the amount of money spent, it's worth every penny! No regrets. Oh and the GB thing. whether it's 8 or 16, It's really hard to fill up that much space with just music and videos. I've had the larger capacity ones and never came close to filling it. I have over 660 songs on my Ipod, along with videos and it's not even close to being half full. *we have the 16 GB*

My son did drop his last one, right on the corner, I believe that's where the glass is the most vulnerable. So, my reccomendation to protect this beauty is a smart and really gorgeous looking case by DLO. It's a black leather case, very nice quality leather, and it has a flap that goes over the entire Ipod with a magnetic closure. It has access to the charging and headphone openings while closed and when you open the cover, you have full access to the touch screen and it will NEVER fall out. This is by far the best case I have seen for this item.

I would highly recommend the iPod touch by Apple to anyone who LOVES music!

4.0 out of 5 stars almost perfect, March 30, 2008
I love this thing for what I use it for - internet access on a small portable format. I have a different phone carrier then AT&T so I didn't want the iPhone but I like having the internet at my fingertips on a such a small yet functional format. I prefer my Creative Zen for music so I really don't use this for songs but I have 150 songs or so that I carry around for entertainment. I also love the media capability (movies take up about 2 GB each but tv shows are better and easy to download). This product offers all of the options the iPhone does but without the cell phone part. Sure it costs a lot but it is worth it. Instead of carrying around a portable dvd player, a MP3 player, palm pilot and my laptop - I can just pack this little beauty for everyday use and trips. The iTouch is so slim it can fit in my pocket. I am seriously considering changing to AT&T and getting the iPhone to cut down on carrying my cell phone in addition to the iTouch. The price is still a little steep and I'm not a big fan of AT&T but the convenience is winning me over. I will never get rid of my Creative Zen so the music is one feature I don't use as much. Also, I am thinking about getting a Creative media player and comparing since I love that product line. I have a Blackberry that I really love and it provides the same intenet accessibility but the screen is much smaller. Also, all of the options are on the menu and available at one touch - media, weather, music, maps, etc. I have to navigate around a little more on my Blackberry to get comparable options. The iTouch is so easy to figure out and use which is nice. The only drawback I have found is the touch controls (they don't work as well in cold weather and adjustments are hard). Another big negative (hence the 4 stars) is the lack of expansion. This product does not allow for memory cards like other products and 2 of the 16 GB is already used for applications! Also, it does not allow for easy exchange of information but that's Apple products in general.

The iTouch is perfect for people who do not have AT&T as their carrier but still want the convenience of the iPhone options. This will definitely cut down on all the gadgets you need to carry around and I recommend it.