on September 12, 2010
Format: Electronics
I've been using an old Iphone 2.5g as my "ipod touch" for about the last year or so. I switched to Sprint for the cheaper rates so no more iphone coverage. Well, since the old phone is not compatible with IOS4.0 and since this new device is seemed truly "next-generation," I decided to take the plunge. I hate the lack of space on my old iphone (8Gb) so I splurged for the 64. Here's a few things I noticed right out of the gate:

1) The screen resolution is phenomenal. The lighting sucks. It has a nasty angle of view. If you look dead at the center of the screen with a black screen "on," you can see slight brightness variances from corner to corner. Not terrible, but I had expected better. After researching it a bit, this is apparently because Apple "cheaped-out" and did not include the IPS style of lighting that they used on the Iphone 4. Oh well, still a great screen though.

2) Size: The device is amazingly thin. This is both good and bad. The buttons are kind of hard to mash as they are located on the heavily beveled edges of the device. It's not bad, but, you do need to have a good grip on the device when screwing around with volume or power. It is super light and fits well in my hand though. But, as weird as it seems, i do hate how the apple logo feels under my finger. Feels like I have super glue or something on my finger tips... strange

3) Speed: The speed of the device is great. This is comparing it directly to my old iPhone though. It blows it out of the water. I don't have to really wait on anything. I do wish the browser was better though. On my old phone, when I'd scroll too fast on a large page, i'd get the checkerboard effect. I hoped this was no longer an issue with the new A4 chip. Again, after researching it, I found that the iPod touch has half the RAM of the new iPhone 4. Guess that would explain it.

4) Camera: The camera is crap. It's low res and has poor low light performance. It's cool for impressing Grandma with the Face Time app, but that's about it. Don't leave home without a good cell phone camera (or a Nikon/Canon!)

5) Minor quibbles: I miss my vibrate/loudness switch. Sucks not being able to instantly mute the device when i want it quiet. I also wish the speaker were more full. I am glad that Apple included a speaker at least, but, for it to be useful as a Face Time device for Grandma, the speaker really needs to be made louder/fuller.

in a nutshell, it's a great device, but it is the Kmart special of the new Iphone 4 in pretty much every way. Why did I give it 4 stars when I'm so harsh on it? Because, no other device even comes close. Apple has managed to make the Ipod Touch feel magic in every way.
1313 commentsWas this review helpful to you?YesNoSending feedback...
on September 15, 2010
Format: Electronics
I got a 64G Touch for my birthday and so far I'm loving every moment I spend with it.

I had a first generation Touch and I am amazed beyond my mind by how far the Touch has evolved. Some noticeable difference from the 1st with 4th include: 2 volume control button on the side (up and down), taller screen on 4th, power button being on the right (4th), slimmer design (4th), a 4.1 OS (4th), and obviously a camera (4th).

Let's start with the camera. Based on reviews I've read so far, I felt that people bought the Touch with expectations that it can do the job that a Canon EOS Rebel or a Nikon D40 can do. This is obviously not true because if it did, although I would be amazed even more, the price of the Touch would skyrocket. Also, it's the first time they're trying this on an iPod. You have to give them a break. Sure I agree that they could've done better than "less than 1 MP" camera but they probably wanted to find ways to make this as cheap as they can, price wise; after all, holidays seasons are coming. The quality of the pictures is something you can live with in my opinion, since you're more likely than not going to be taking pictures of your friends, yourself, or even stupid or funny things that you may come across. If that's not what you want, I'd get an actual camera.

Video Recording is something else, however. The HD is more than I could ask for in this little thing. The quality of the sound you get and the video itself of course, it's very good. I would go to Youtube and type in iPod Touch camera test or something like that for previews.

The speaker itself is another interesting quality. The Touch has a built-in speaker that lets you listen if you lost your earphones or you just don't want to use it for any reason. The quality of the speaker is truly above average. It's almost as if I don't even need headphones anymore, although headphones do yield a better quality. But however you want to listen is up to you.

The multitasking feature works like a charm as well. For those who don't know how to do it, just press the exit button twice in a row. The multitasking lets me go from one app to the other with no additional loading time and whatnot. It's not entirely necessary to me, but it's a true convenience!

I would review more on this but I don't want to make you guys fall asleep reading. But I WILL say that there's always room for improvements here and there. But for now, this is truly a device that does magic.
33 commentsWas this review helpful to you?YesNoSending feedback...
VINE VOICEon September 2, 2010
Format: Electronics
iPod Touch had never included a camera prior to this September 1, 2010 update.
The lack of a camera was one of the significant aspects that kept the iPod Touch from feeling more like an iPhone.

Now, this iPod Touch has two cameras, reason for celebration? Not exactly. The usability of the cameras included is minimal.

The iPod Touch does have significant upgrades. It now features a similar display to iPhone 4, which Apple dubs Retina Display. It is twice the resolution, and looks oh so gorgeous. Honestly, I have never used a display that looks as crisp as Apple's Retina Display. Steve Jobs had described it as looking similar to the text in a high quality book, and I would have to agree. You must see it, to see the difference. Therefore, the display in the updated iPod Touch is a significant upgrade.

Secondly, the iPod Touch will feel much snappier to you than the previous generation. The reason? It now includes the same Apple A4 processor that is found in iPhone 4 and iPad. It's snappy. Applications launch with much improved speed, multitasking works easier and so forth. The processor may not make the device look different, but it's a significant feature update.

Next, to the cameras. Both the front and rear camera can be used. The front camera is similar to the iPhone's front camera, VGA only, which is rather low resolution. However, Apple knows the front camera would primarily be used for Face Time. Face Time allows you to make video chats with other iPod Touch (the new ones) and iPhone 4 users. You must be connected to WiFi to make these video chats. The Face Time icon is presented prominently on the home screen of the iPod Touch. I have had access to Face Time for several months, with my iPhone 4. It is very cool and works surprisingly well. The problem is finding other users on the compatible device (right now only iPhone 4 and iPod Touch 4th generation) plus them being on WiFi at the same time. Over time, the feature will be more useful as more members of your family and friends have a compatible device. However, you simply don't always want to have a video chat with people either. Sometimes voice or even text is enough. Therefore, the front camera is not a total bust. It can be used to try out Face Time, which some users will probably find useful as least on occasion.

The rear camera on the iPod Touch is the disappointment. The rear camera is not even 1 megapixel. The camera is 960x720 resolution. Therefore, for still images the quality is quite low. After all, it's not even 1 megapixel. The iPhone 4 camera is 5 megapixel. Is the camera a total bust? Well, it can take HD video, because HD video is actually lower resolution than still digital cameras. The quality of the HD video it takes will need to be judged by the user. The camera's optics are simply not the same as used in the iPhone 4 due to the thinness of the iPod Touch. Therefore, camera quality is significantly lower compared to iPhone 4. However, you can take a video and edit it on your iPod Touch. It probably won't look as good as someone who takes a video on an iPhone 4 though.

Overall, I think highly of the new iPod Touch. The iPod Touch most attractive features are still there, indeed it will do many of its best features, better than ever thanks to the fast A4 processor now included. Gaming will be quicker and web browsing will be snappier all thanks to its faster processor. For me, these are uses most buy the Touch to do. Play games and use it as an internet device for browsing the web or reading email. The touch is still a winner in these categories. Highly recommended. In terms of being a music player, iPod Touch is as great as ever too. You can continue to touch the screen to select your music and view cover art. No change there. 40 Hours of Audio Playback. Video Playback is somewhat improved! The faster A4 processor allows iTunes HD videos that you purchase to be played, and the retina display makes them look oh so gorgeous. The cameras are the only small disappointment. The front camera is ok, but how often will you Face Time? The back camera's quality and specs are simply not up to the level many have come to expect due to mobile phones' cameras getting better over the years. However, Apple chose to make the iPod Touch thinner than ever! That thinness limits the cameras that will fit into the device.

This 64 GB model is great if you need the most storage possible for Applications, Videos, and Music. Many will find the smaller capacities equally as compelling. The only difference is storage space.

The iPod Touch is still a solid value. Cheaper than an iPhone and with no service contract. A big plus for many especially teens and kids. iPod Touch is now as fast as the iPhone and has the gorgeous Retina display that the iPhone features. It's a winner. Some may only be disappointed by its cameras. Still, very much recommended.
88 commentsWas this review helpful to you?YesNoSending feedback...
on April 9, 2011
Format: Electronics
Wow!! Being in the field of engineering for a long time now, this is an engineering marvel, the features and quality for the given size and weight. You can make phone calls, surf net, SMS message, shoot movies, take pics (though it is foolish to expect a 5MP leica quality from this), watch movies, chat with friends, check email, voice memos gosh....the list goes on. You can pretty much do anything other than bake cookies with this device. After a good look around, there are no peers to this this device.

Just a little background. I didnt want a iPhone or a Droid like device and get tied to a phone company and plan. I was thinking of a simple phone to make calls with a $30 plan may be with text and have a device smartphone capabilities. There are hotspots everywhere these days, why go through the dead slow 3G network? unless you want to pay for the 4G an arm and a leg. I didnt want to pay a $120 plan, month after month. So, I decided on $30 a month for a simple phone and a $300 one time for iPod Touch. I know you must be thinking, two devices??!! This is an extremely sleek device you cant even feel it in your shirt pocket.

Thats the other thing, this is an iPad in the pocket. Apart from the screen size, there is hardly any difference between Touch and iPad. Same apps, same iOS4 operating system, same look and feel a lot more portable. And it costs you 300 less.

But dont forget this has a glass front. I can understand the reason for it. Mainly no scratches, print cleaning becomes easy. So, dont ever drop it or sit on it accidentally.....many have broken their devices. But it is not that flimsy too.....to break without a major incident.

And it worked out very well.....it is worth every penny.
11 commentWas this review helpful to you?YesNoSending feedback...
on November 20, 2010
Format: Electronics
This is the model I've been waiting for, one with a built-in camera. I sold my old Touch, iPod, and Nano after I bought this. I'm a photographer but I don't always have my DSLR with me, so the Touch has been a fun way to pursue my photography passion when I'm out and about. Yeah sometimes I wish it were an iPhone, but the majority of time I'm somewhere with wireless access so I still have the online experience without the monthly expense of the iPhone data plan. You will laugh at me but I keep my touch on my nightstand and in the morning I use it to check my email and check Facebook/Flickr without getting out of bed! It's also a good time killer while waiting for appointments or sitting in boring meetings.
33 commentsWas this review helpful to you?YesNoSending feedback...
on October 11, 2010
Format: Electronics
I sold my iPod Touch 3rd generation to upgrade to this newest model. I really like all of the new features but the problem is that the battery life is terrible. I fully charged my new iPod before I went to bed and when I got up in the morning the battery is 80% drained. This happened 3 days in a row so there has to be something wrong with the battery or new software. I never had this problem with my previous iPod. I checked the Apple forum and there are thousands of other users that experience the same issue. Please wait to purchase this until they fix this problem!
55 commentsWas this review helpful to you?YesNoSending feedback...
on October 3, 2010
Format: ElectronicsVerified Purchase
As a Healthcare provider, an RN on a busy hospital cardiac unit, I still remember how I depended upon my 1st PDA, a Palm Pilot, with how much memory? Every couple of years I purchased the latest palm, each time in awe of the advances in technology making my work life easier. When I bought the 1st G ipod touch I was more than pleased with its capabilities. I had my favorite medical apps, Epocrates, Medcalc, Isilo, and medical dictionary at my fingertips. Now I have an ipod touch G4. All I can say is WOW to the improvement in the ease of use, speed and retina display. My apps are no longer sluggish and no longer crash on me as the apps updated and my G1 didn't.
I have yet to fully take advantage of all the new features. A few of us at work have the G4s and are able to communicate wireless via facetalk. I love the way I can organize my apps together to save space. I use it for my life now, not just my work. I carry books, a few games, my calender, email, etc. with me. I am even learning a foreign language. I'm very happy with my purchase.
Best of all... The G4 is super light and easily fits in my pant's pocket.
11 commentWas this review helpful to you?YesNoSending feedback...
on December 17, 2010
Format: ElectronicsVerified Purchase
From a hardware point of view, the 4th Gen touch is a nicely thought out device that combines a capable media player with good PDA functionality. Issues on the hardware side are minor: as others have noted, the camera is merely bearable and, while slim and shiny look good, they are also hard to hold and easy to drop.

But good hardware needs software. After installing iTunes 10 on my very quick Windows 7 machine, initial sync with MS Outlook contacts and calendar was seamless - Ironically you can't do this with MS's own Zune. Then I added my music collection. You probably think a 64GB media player would be capable of syncing about 2000 music tracks. Silly goose - not with iTunes. After about 24 hours of `determining gapless playback information' with no end in sight, no music had been synced - not a single track. I've uninstalled, reinstalled, and disabled just about every option I can find - yet it still takes 3 to 5 minutes just to open a menu or select a view in iTunes. I will experiment with iTunes alternatives - let the weeks of trouble shooting begin.
22 commentsWas this review helpful to you?YesNoSending feedback...
on May 11, 2011
Format: Electronics
I bought this device primarily to serve as a video player and as a more portable alternative to my laptop. It performs wonderfully at these tasks. Video, e-mail, internet browsing, and tons of apps (lots of good ones for free) in a palm-sized device--it's incredible. It shoots great high-quality video, although the still camera function is oddly stunted by comparison. And it makes a very good e-reader. How could it be improved? Removable storage. A slot for a micro-SD card would add a lot of value. It could also be made a hell of a lot more durable. As with all iPods, a good case is a must from day one. Apple has this odd habit of making exceedingly beautiful yet delicate products, OK if you live in a hermetically-sealed and cushioned environment, but everyday use has its hazards, as everyone knows. Apple could make (another) mint by marketing an "iPod Sport" model. Picture it: the same product with a micro-SD slot and a rubberized water-resistant casing capable of surviving a 10 foot drop onto a concrete floor. I'd be the first in line. Till then, this will have to do.
0CommentWas this review helpful to you?YesNoSending feedback...
on May 14, 2011
Format: ElectronicsVerified Purchase
I wanted so much to like it, but I would have preferred the thickness of the #3 if that meant a better camera. I was looking forward to having everything on 1 device. So I keep my #3 until Apple improves the cameras.
0CommentWas this review helpful to you?YesNoSending feedback...

Your Recently Viewed Items and Featured Recommendations