Automotive Deals Best Books of the Month Amazon Fashion Learn more Discover it $5 Albums Fire TV Stick Health, Household and Grocery Back to School Ruby jewelry Amazon Cash Back Offer harmonquest_s1 harmonquest_s1 harmonquest_s1  Amazon Echo  Echo Dot  Amazon Tap  Echo Dot  Amazon Tap  Amazon Echo Starting at $49.99 All-New Kindle Oasis AutoRip in CDs & Vinyl Water Sports

Style: 13-Inch Laptops & Under|Change

on April 5, 2011
Please note, this version of the Applecare Protection Plan is only for the Macbook, the Macbook Pro 13" and the Macbook Air.

The Macbook Pro 15" and 17" are covered under another version of the Applecare Protection Plan - AppleCare Protection Plan for Mac Laptops 15 Inches and Above (NEWEST VERSION) - For Portable Apple Computers 15 Inches and Above

The Applecare Protection Plan - an expensive but necessary requirement if you buy an apple laptop.

Why is it a requirement? Because Apple doesn't make the hard drives or the logicboards (motherboards) or the processors or the DVD burners inside their machines. Apple sources its parts from component manufacturers like Seagate, Nvidia, Intel, Sony etc etc. These parts just like all electronic components can and may fail after a period of time. Once a part fails, Apple is generally known to charge extremely high fees to repair or replace parts.

For example - Motherboards - $800 to $1200. Superdrive replacement - $200 to $300. LCD screen replacement - $500 to $600) It's better to be pay for Applecare once than pay Apple exorbitant repair fees every time a part fails.

Basically, the A.P.P. is a 2 year warranty extension to your apple laptop (that comes with a one year hardware warranty), it provides unlimited phone support and hardware diagnosis. It also offers Mail-in repair for Mac notebooks using a prepaid shipping box provided by Apple and service by an apple store or an Apple Authorized Service Provider.

Every mac (just like any other computer maker) comes with a 1 year standard warranty with 90 days of telephone support. During that one year, your hardware is covered against defects and failure by the standard Apple warranty (but not damage caused by you or accidents) If you purchase Applecare, then it adds 2 more years of hardware coverage against defects and unlimited telephone support after the one year is up.

The A.P.P. also gives you global repair coverage so if a hardware issues arises while you're in another country and there's an Apple Store or Apple Authorised Service Provider near by, you can take your mac in for diagnosis and repair.

It does not offer any sort of damage protection or on-site repair.

Please remember to buy the A.P.P. if you plan to do so before the first year of ownership is up. If you bought your machine on X Date 2011 - buy the A.P.P.before X Date 2012. Apple will not honor an A.P.P. policy bought even 2 days after the first year is over (in most cases unless you get lucky and speak to a friendly agent on the phone willing to relax the rules a bit)

I HATE to be recommending an extended warranty, but it's a necessary evil. There is no guarantee that something will go wrong with your expensive mac notebook after the first year but if something does go wrong after the first year, it's better to be covered by the A.P.P. and avoid paying those exorbitant repair/replacement costs.

If you don't want to buy Applecare, a great alternative is SquareTrade 3-Year Laptop/Tablet Warranty Plus Accident Protection (Laptop/Tablet $1000-1250). They have a protection package for computers too AND it includes damage protection (which Applecare doesn't offer)

NOTE - Don't buy Applecare from Apple. Look around - there are good deals to be found at Authorised Apple resellers and other legit online outlets which sell Applecare at a better price than Apple itself.

Hope this helps!
1616 comments| 209 people found this helpful. Was this review helpful to you?YesNoReport abuse
on June 20, 2011
AppleCare is both an extended warranty and an extension of phone support. It extends the warranty from one year to three, and phone support from 90 days to three years. Note that if you purchase a display at the same time you purchase your MacBook Pro, AppleCare for your computer also covers your display.

It's impossible to predict if you'll get your money's worth out it or not, as that will be determined by whether or not your MacBook Pro needs any repairs in the second or third year and how likely you are to need the extended phone support. I'll just tell you my story so you'll understand why I gave AppleCare five stars.

I purchased AppleCare with my first MacBook Pro, which I bought in May, 2006, along with a 30" Cinema Display. The computer, just over five years old at this point, has never needed a repair. However, the batteries in that model clearly had problems. If you don't use the computer on the battery a fair bit the battery goes bad. Once that happens, you can still use the computer on the battery, but at some point the computer will just shut down. No warning, it doesn't go to sleep, and the battery indicator in the menu bar says it still has plenty of charge.

I had at least three batteries replaced under AppleCare, maybe four, and the last one was actually after the three years of AppleCare were up. But I fussed at them for using what I considered a faulty design for the batteries and in the interest of customer satisfaction they gave me one last battery, which they didn't have to do.

The display, on the other hand, did need a repair. It just died and wouldn't light up. I called Apple and explained the problem. They shipped me a box overnight. I packed up the display and called FedEx to arrange a pickup the next day. Unfortunately the folks at Apple couldn't reproduce the problem, so they shipped it back and sure enough it worked. Some time later, after the three years were up and it was no longer covered under AppleCare, the problem recurred. Since it was out of warranty at that point I did some testing and eventually figured out that the problem only showed up if I plugged the display's USB or FireWire connector into my computer, something I didn't normally do. So I called Apple to see what it would cost to repair, and after explaining the history the guy offered to repair it for free since they missed the problem when I sent it in the first time. Again, they went above and beyond their legal obligation.

In general I've found Apple's service to be top notch. My Time Capsule's power supply died. They overnighted a box to me, had FedEx pick it up, fixed it, and overnighted it back to me. They never try to weasel out of doing a repair and even cover them when they don't have to, which I think is very cool.

In my experience, when you call for phone support you get really nice people, located in America, who are generally pretty helpful. Without AppleCare phone support is free for 90 days and $50 per incident after that. With AppleCare it's free for three years. So if you upgrade your OS two years from now and have a problem you can call them for help and it's free. How much this is worth to you just depends on you and whether you know someone who can help if you have a problem.

So for me AppleCare was totally worth it and I had absolutely no complaints. If you're pretty Mac/computer savvy and use the battery right AppleCare may not be a good value for you. You have a year to buy it after you buy the computer, so you have the option to wait and see how things go. If you make it to the end of the year and haven't had any problems you might decide it's not worth the $300.

On the other hand, if you need to replace a battery within the first year, need phone support at times, or it comes out that your model has a component with a higher-than-expected failure rate, you'll probably want to get the AppleCare coverage. Just remember you have to buy it while the computer is still covered under the original one-year warranty.

I just bought a new MacBook Pro. The current plan is to see how things go for the first year and decide near the end if I think AppleCare makes sense for this one. I think the new ones use a better battery design, so I'm hoping I won't I won't have the battery problems I had before.

Hope that helps.
on April 8, 2011
FULL DISCLOSURE - Parts of this review are the same / similar as / to my review of the A.P.P. for 13" Macbooks as both are essentially the same products.

Please note, this version of the Applecare.Protection.Plan is ONLY for the Macbook Pro 15" and 17".

The Macbook and the Macbook Pro 13" are covered under another version of the Applecare Protection Plan -AppleCare Protection Plan for Mac Laptops 13 Inches and Below (NEWEST VERSION)

The Applecare Protection Plan - an expensive requirement if you buy / own an Apple notebook.

What most people don't know is that Apple doesn't make the logicboards (motherboards) or the processors or the hard drives or the DVD burners inside their Macbooks. Like all computer manufacturers, Apple sources its parts from component manufacturers like Seagate, Nvidia, Intel, Sony etc etc. These parts just like all electronic components can and may fail after a period of time. Once a part fails and if your macbook pro's one year standard warranty is over, Apple charges extremely high fees to repair or replace parts.

For example - Motherboard replacement - $1000 to $1200. Superdrive replacement - $200 to $300. LCD screen replacement - $800 to $1000. It's better to pay for Applecare once than pay Apple exorbitant repair fees every time a part fails.

Basically, the A.P.P. is a 2 year warranty extension to your apple laptop's standard one year hardware warranty. It provides unlimited phone support and hardware diagnosis. It also offers Mail-in repair for Mac notebooks using a prepaid shipping box provided by Apple and service by an apple store or an Apple Authorized Service Provider.

It does not offer any sort of damage protection or on-site repair.

I'm sorry to be recommending an extended warranty, but it's a necessary evil with Apple products. There is no guarantee that something will go wrong with your expensive mac notebook after the first year but if something does go wrong after the first year, it's better to be covered by the A.P.P. and avoid paying those exorbitant repair/replacement costs.

NOTE - Don't buy Applecare from Apple. Shop around - there are good deals to be found at Authorised Apple resellers and other legit online outlets. Amazon used to be one of the best places to purchase an A.P.P. from but Amazon has raised it's price also. It used to sell the A.P.P. for $ 299 dollars, but has now increased the price to $ 325 and it's been stuck there for a while. I have no idea why Amazon raised the price but you should buy when the price is low or a price correction occurs.
Hope this helps!
1515 comments| 89 people found this helpful. Was this review helpful to you?YesNoReport abuse
on May 23, 2011
Considering a laptop costs anywhere from $900 and up, the price for extending the coverage to an additional 2 years with 3 years of total coverage from the date of purchase is a great deal. I purchased a Refurbished MacBook Pro and while traveling to Costa Rica had the unit fail completely (logic board). I took it to an Apple Store and in 5 days, the unit was fully repaired and is, actually, a new laptop.

Likewise, I purchased a MacBook 13" for my daughter a few years ago and her computer had problems as well. Likewise, her unit was completely repaired under the extended warranty. I have friends with similar circumstances over the years and never have I heard a negative comment regarding the service.

The phone service is equally impressive, having called in both instances to see if the problems could be resolved via special instruction from a rep. I find it very hard to believe anyone will have any trouble getting the best service available with these extended warranties.

Laptops are portable units that are likely going to test gravity a few times in their lifespan. Not purchasing an extended warranty is rather frivolous, especially considering that it will only add up to a little over a $100 per year for Apple Care Protection. I know my laptop is definitely worth it...
77 comments| 51 people found this helpful. Was this review helpful to you?YesNoReport abuse
on April 27, 2012
I have more of a gripe with the "old version" AppleCare sold through Amazon, where I wrote a review as well, but I also had trouble with this "new version": an incredible hassle, at least when purchased through sellers in the Marketplace.

First, importantly, while Amazon is an authorized Apple retailer, sellers in Amazon's Marketplace are not. This means Apple does not have to honor the purchase. There is no official "old" and "new" version by Apple, it's Amazon's lingo only. When I thought I was ordering the "new", hassle-free version (where you can register quickly online), I received instead the "old version" which requires a lot of time on the phone with Apple, who -- again -- don't need to honor the purchase because it's not authorized. I had to return to seller.

Second, you can get AppleCare legitimately and for less money at authorized retailers. Check out B&H Photo in NYC and online [...]. I paid $190 and registered online the same day.

Third, I've had trouble ordering the "old version" from the Marketplace as well. Many sellers don't know the difference, and may not care about the hassle they're roping you into. The short of it: For AppleCare, stay away from Amazon.
1111 comments| 64 people found this helpful. Was this review helpful to you?YesNoReport abuse
on July 26, 2011
In early 2009, I purchased a 2008 17 inch MacBook at one third less than list price, from an online discount eTailer. This discount e-tailer (sometimes sarcastically referred to as "less than honest Abe's") gave me a strong pitch to purchase an extended repair contract from a camera repair service. Instead, I purchased AppleCare at a discount, separately, from Amazon.com. Registration of Apple Care was easy, online, using the serial number in the box, shipped from Amazon.

Local Apple users' groups told me that I was asking for trouble. In their opinions, Apple disapproves of online e-tailers selling anything Apple, at a discount. In their opinions, Apple hardware sold at any price less than list price is somehow "grey-market" and it will be difficult to get Apple to repair grey-market hardware.

However, this worked out for me. That 2008 MacBook started to run hot as a stove, literally. Although it ran without any hangs or crashes, it was hot enough to make typing uncomfortable on my wrists. About 20 months after I bought it, one of the cooling fans started to whine like a siren.

Apple telephone support told me to take the computer to an Apple Store, which happened to be close to me. I did not need to ship my computer. When I visited the Apple Store, they treated my computer as if I had bought it from Apple.com. The repair was at no cost to me, and completed in two days. My MacBook now runs cool, literally! Whatever was wrong with the cooling system, the "Mac Geniuses" fixed it, permanently.

My conclusion, based on this single experience:
It is possible to purchase Apple computers, at significant discounts. But I recommend getting the extended Apple Care warranty. First, if you live near an Apple Store, you can get fairly quick repairs, in my experience. Second, you get Apple telephone support. That is not included in with repair contracts from a camera repair service, as far as I can tell.

Of course, if the price of Apple Care rises, you might consider "self insurance", that is, doing without the extended warranty, and paying for repairs or replacement, out of your own pocket. In my case, I probably broke even.
on May 15, 2015
Item as described. The registered code number inside the box is valid for MacBook Pro (Retina, 13-inch, Early 2015). I am glad I purchased this extended protection plan because usually after manufacture warranty expired it can cost a lot of money to get it fix if something wrong to the MacBook Pro. I would recommend this to everyone.
review image
on September 4, 2012
To be specific, here are main reasons why this kind of plan not worth the money:
1. Electronic products often fail for following common reasons: Bad connection in assembling process, such as loose soldering; Over heating for failed components or circuits. Those problems, if ever exist, will happen during the first year under normal usage and covered by standard, free, one year warranty. It is very unlikely to happen after one year, unless you hardly used it during first year. If so, why buy it now?
2. On 2nd and 3rd year, the value of the product depreciates significantly. In general, if you buy it for $1500 new, it will worth $1000 or $750 after 2 years. So your loss will be much less than you think. But even in this worst case, you still can sell the computer for parts, further reduce the loss.
3. But fundamentally, assuming Apple makes money selling this plan (no brainer!), then statistically you lose. Buying the plan and hope to make the money back, is like going to Las Vegas to get rich.

But, you do lose less money if you:
1. Buy the high end laptop which cost $2000 or more (so insurance is relatively cheaper);
2. You use it extensively (long hours, heavy load), pushing the product to the limit (under extreme environment) without abuse (more chance to fail and needs coverage).
3. Buy the plan cheaper by shop around.

This plan is basically a type of insurance. You should only buy insurance for things that you can't afford to lose, such as fire, life and no fault auto insurance. And typically, plans like Applecare is statistically much more expensive than those standard insurance. I read Best Buy's financial report couple of years ago. Their profit of selling goods only covers their operation cost. The net profit all come from the protection plan they sell. That's how lucrative those plans are and that's why the cashers are required to ask if you want to buy those plans.

So if you can afford to buy another new laptop when this one fails, take the chance, skip the plan. If not, then you shouldn't buy this one and no need to buy a plan. There are plenty of used Apple laptop on market, and they used to be same expensive as this one, with or without plan, and they are still working properly. Chances are, they can even satisfy your needs just as well as new ones, at a fraction of the new price.

For all the reasons to buy the plan, ask this simple question: Does this reason still hold, if the price of this plan increase to $300? $400? ... $700...? At what price point this reason will be invalid?
But wait...you say: Apple is not asking for $700. Good! It means Apple set the price based on some analysis, or statistics, that they can make the maximum profit at current price. It means you will pay more, on the average, than you will get! The difference includes Amazon's commission, Apple's profit, their operation cost, credit card's transaction cost, plus tax...

For me, I bought more than 20 desktop, laptop, tablet and phone since 1995. None of them failed within 3 years, or before I sold them. If the plan cost only $50 and I am buying a $1500 MBP, well, I might buy it.

Am I saying that people who buy this plan are all insane? Absolutely not! "Peace of Mind" has its value, and it is very subjective. Only you can determine how valuable it is to you.

Everything I said above, is based on valuation of "Peace of Mind" to me, which is obviously very low. If you look into the details from both technical and business point of view, maybe you will feel more comfortable not buying the plan at current price. And that's the whole purpose I write this review. Hope it helps.
33 comments| 64 people found this helpful. Was this review helpful to you?YesNoReport abuse
on October 1, 2011
I have been buying Apple Care Protection Plans since the very beginning of the concept. Although my Apple products rarely need "Care", I have dealt with Apple numerous times regarding things that they shouldn't even be respondent to, such as 3rd party application conflicts. They will stay on the phone with you for hours if necessary, and they are always the epitome of politeness and expertise! Could be the reason they have been #1 in support for several years running!
on May 15, 2014
Have a 15" macbook pro retina. THis is for the physical apple care box with the code inside, and not for an instant code via email. Either way if you have prime it is not a big deal. If you have a retina macbook pro you need to get apple care considering a simple repair can cost you upwards of $600.

My prior macbook I did not get apple care because I could replace most of the parts myself, with these retina macbooks you really want to get the applecare just in case.

Edit 6/7/16:

I got my MacbookPro 15.4" retina repaired for a track pad and screen issue. The total repair cost would have been $1,100. I am extremely happy I bought the apple care.