AppleCare Warranty Service is as good as GOLD!

Published on April 3, 2011 by David C. Franklin

3.0 out of 5 stars AppleCare Protection Plan for iMac (NEWEST VERSION)
I recently purchased this product, the [ASIN:B004R6J2KW AppleCare Protection Plan for iMac (NEWEST VERSION)]], for my new 21.5" iMac and have only had to use it once. The service was great. The young lady was very bright, articulate, friendly, courteous, patient and helpful. (In fact, it was more of an adjust the owner and not the iMac session.) That said, the only...
Published on March 11, 2012 by JBareleycorn

5.0 out of 5 stars You'd be a fool not to buy the 3 year warranty, especially at such a great price!, April 3, 2011
This review is from: AppleCare Protection Plan for iMac (NEWEST VERSION) (Personal Computers)
AppleCare Warranty Service is as good as GOLD!

In the last 2 months, my 3-year old 24" iMac started developing some minor problems (the computer never stopped working, but it had some display issues, some failed sensors, and some fan problems.) The Apple tech that looked at my iMac ran a 15 hour diagnostic test and determined that the logic board, the display, AND the graphics card should all be replaced in order to ensure reliability, but recommended that instead of getting it repaired (which would have been fully covered by the warranty) that I try to seek an "advanced replacement" computer from Apple. I called Customer Relations at AppleCare, and 2 days later (with only 5 days left on the 3 year warranty) Apple decided that instead of repairing my 3 year old 24" iMac, they were going to replace it with a brand new 27" iMac, at no cost to me!!! I just got my new computer 2 days ago! It is AWESOME! Try getting that kind of warranty service from Dell!

The best part is that the new computer they sent me comes with a brand new warranty, just like a newly purchased iMac would! (It comes with 1 year, but I can upgrade the warranty to 3 years by buying this item from Amazon) It really paid off to have the 3-year warranty on my last computer, so you can bet I will be buying the 3-year warranty again on this new one they sent me!

4.0 out of 5 stars I usually turn down all extended warranties -- but not this time!, May 18, 2011
Because a leading consumer magazine once wrote that one of the few extended warranties worth purchasing was for a computer, I decided to take the plunge when I purchased my new iMac. After all, it covers unlimited tech phone calls and visits to my local Genius Bar for the next three years. Considering that I had some issues with an older Mac Mini that the Apple Tech staff had to assist me with, I knew that this was worth it.

If you buy AppleCare directly from Apple at the time you purchase your computer, you will be automatically registered. But what about those of us who buy elsewhere -- in my case, at Amazon? Registration is easy as long as you have an internet connection; otherwise, you have to go through the hassle of mail and FAX. The protection plan comes in a small box that contains nothing but paperwork, with directions to go to the Apple site to activate it or, without internet, how to do it by snail mail or FAX. Most people will want to use it right away, especially if they run into issues with set up, so you might want to think twice or three times if you can't go online.

As a longtime Mac User, I didn't think that I'd use it right away; however, I had a question this morning. The Express Service called me back, and I was speaking to a Tech Support Staff member within 3 minutes. He not only answered my question, but he proceeded to help me solve a related problem with an external hard drive. There's a reason Apple is known for having some of the best support.

My only beef with Apple Care is that the normal warranty/tech help period is 90 days, with one phone call per day allowed during that time. They seem to push you toward getting AppleCare, especially if you're new to the Mac environment. Note: AppleCare is different from "One-to-One" which is a service available only at the Apple Store and which helps you not only set up your Mac but use it.

-- Debbie Lee Wesselmann

5.0 out of 5 stars I've owned about 15 apple computers in the last 5 years..., May 6, 2011
Bobby Earle (San Diego, CA, USA) - See all my reviews
... and sometimes I have the warranty and sometimes I don't. Every time I don't have the warranty, I regret it. Apple is so amazing about replacing things -- they don't fight you on it ever. You have a problem, you take your computer in, and they fix it. It's always that simple.

My favorite part is that I don't have to search for the warranty paperwork every time I have to bring a computer in. It's just on their file.

4.0 out of 5 stars Buy from Amazon and save, December 8, 2011
I purchased this Apple Care for my iMac computer cheaper through Amazon then directly through Apple. It's the same thing, there is no reason to buy it from apple. The only thing you need to worry about is to purchase the correct version for your computer/product. I read the product description saying "For iMac (Newest Version)". I had just purchased the newest model so this had to be the correct version of apple care. If you're buying for an older model iMac or other product make sure the apple care will work for it. Really easy to get Apple Care registered and the best part is that for the computer, Apple Care does not have to be purchased on the same day as you purchase your computer.

5.0 out of 5 stars Buy it, your a fool if you don't, May 6, 2012
I. Clements (Washington State) - See all my reviews
Yes it may seem like a lot but think about it. You just plonked down over $1000 for an iMac and for another $150 or so you protect it for 3 years and get 24/7 tech support.

Every time I've migrated to a new Mac I've encountered software compatibility issues and settings/preference issues somewhere during the first few months. The Apple support is one of the best and well worth the price alone.

My last iMac started having video issues about 2.5 years after I got it. Applecare in hand. No problem. Fixed in about a week and is still running in my daughter's room now I have my sexy new 27 inch one.

And don't get suckered into thinking the "retail" electronics store "dork" squad is a better deal. On my iMac it was about $60 more expensive than Apple care for only 2 years service and only gave limited hardware support at that. Your mac fails they'll try to fix it or get you a refurb replacement. Apple service goes the extra mile and you get 3 years of tech support to boot. The retail store can't match that. No contest.

Usually I would not recommend extended warranties for most things but every Mac I've had I've gotten Applecare for and I can confidently say I've gotten my money's worth each time.

5.0 out of 5 stars Peace of mind, May 11, 2011
Just in case, I like to buy AppleCare when I get a new Mac. Just in case, and I can feel free to call about anything if I need tech support. To me, the price is well worth it. In this case it was a little less than 10% of the product price to extend support and hardware warranty to 3 years.

5.0 out of 5 stars Great Deal for wonderful warranty and support, January 14, 2012
This is my second Imac in 3 years.For first one i bought warranty and never used it.But when i sold it after 2 years i got great deal due to warranty.So i decided to buy warranty on new imac.the best part is the deal i got from amazon.I registered the product and got email confirmation in less then 10 minutes. So dont be skeptical to buy this at cheaper price.

5.0 out of 5 stars Apple Protection Plan, January 12, 2012
Registered with Apple without a problem. The item arrived quickly and was undamaged. I would buy from this company again.

5.0 out of 5 stars Absolutely Essential, August 31, 2011
I've bought Apple computers since 1994. Recently, I've experienced reliability problems with them, and they are expensive to repair. Hence I always buy their three year warranty. Amazon's price and customer service were outstanding, as always.

5.0 out of 5 stars insurance, February 1, 2012
Jonathan E. Lepoff (North Monmouth, Maine United States) - See all my reviews
My magic mouse lost connectivity with my imac. I tried the likely remedies which failed to work so I called Apple Care. The technician made a few suggestions which I tried but they were unsuccessful. We decided the mouse had died and the technician made arrangements to send me a new magic mouse. It hasn't arrived yet so I am using a wired mouse.
I was satisfied with the technician's efforts and the resolution of my problem