5.0 out of 5 stars when the student is ready the teacher appears..., January 23, 2009
Ryky (Australia) - See all my reviews
This review is from: Applied Anatomy & Physiology of Yoga (Paperback)
when the student is ready the teacher appears (or at least the book or dvd!)
In all seriousness, if you are serious about yoga, not scared of a text book, technical words or detail then this book will probably have something you can use. I should clarify I am not an anatomist, physiologist, yoga teacher or qualified in anyway to comment on yoga in general, except that I like to do it, but have felt for a while now I was missing something. I have read the science of flexibility and anatomy of hatha yoga, and although great books they couldn't answer the questions I wasn't sure I knew how to ask, and finally this one does.
The book goes systematically through the joint complexes (shoulder, elbow and wrist, hip, knee, ankle, spinal) and tells you everything you could possibly want to know. Although very technical, it is very clear (if you read slowly and absorb a sentence at a time), and for each bandah/energy lock there are exercises for generating it automatically through movements and postures...honestly there is so much here that is only part it. There are a ton of definitions, diagrams, pictures. (That is just to chapter 7, you still have to get to chapter 12 and through 7 appendices before you are done.)
In most books I read I expect to get one or two take away points, but this one takes a week to really get half a page. Definitely not for the faint hearted. I will add though I did manage to catch a couple of lectures from Simon Borg-Olivier when he was in my city and in person he is interesting and understandable by all levels. So if you want to get an idea of what he teaches but not big on texts then get one of his dvd's. The one I bought had a demonstration sequence, a lecture similar to but extended on from what I saw in person (- and these lectures have little exercises you can do sitting down to get the idea of what he is talking about) aswell as the 'yoga class'.
Lastly - I have to ask - he mentions (pg363) as an example of fast yoga that BKS Iyengar once did 108 gymnastic-like backflips in four and half minutes! OMG! is this on youtube anywhere?

Probably not for everyone, but it's absolutely what I have been looking for...

5.0 out of 5 stars the best of the best, March 16, 2010
This review is from: Applied Anatomy & Physiology of Yoga (Paperback)
as a health worker with over 10 years experience as a practitioner of yoga for about 3 years I can say that this book is the best that has come into my hands and my heart, excellent work and I hope to find more literature of this type. Thank you!

5.0 out of 5 stars Best Yoga Anatomy book ever, December 10, 2011
This review is from: Applied Anatomy & Physiology of Yoga (Paperback)
Simon and Bianca are really expert into explaining the phisiology of our body and how to connect that with the yoga practice. Often in a yoga field we hear about differnt "schools". In this book you'll know not about "schools" but just as your body work, as it is.
That's a must for teacher and serious practicioner.
Congratulations guys!

5.0 out of 5 stars Brilliant book, March 21, 2014
This review is from: Applied Anatomy & Physiology of Yoga (Paperback)
I believe it's one of the most interesting books on yoga anatomy. It describes precisely biomechanics of the body and anatomy of the movement however the focus is more on the way that physical alignment and the use of muscle coactivations can influence and improve physiology.

The techniques described in the book are simple yet effective and can be applied in all kinds of postural yoga to protect joints and ensure optimal flow of energy through the body.

5.0 out of 5 stars Oh My God, March 14, 2014
What a incredible book.
Just, simple the must read book for every single yoga student.

The techniques are beautiful, very detailed, very certain. There are techniques that I was utterly unaware of even practicing for years.

5.0 out of 5 stars Unbeatable yoga anatomy and physiology text, September 22, 2013
This review is from: Applied Anatomy & Physiology of Yoga (Paperback)
I am yet to find a more comprehensive text on the anatomy and physiology of yoga. Every yogi serious about learning more about their bodies should certainly invest in it. As a reference tool even after many years and a few good reads it still proves invaluable. Thank you to Bianca and Simon for their passion and dedication and for taking the time pulling all the information together, such a gift!

5.0 out of 5 stars Excellent Book, December 21, 2012
This review is from: Applied Anatomy & Physiology of Yoga (Paperback)
Excellent and thorough book, some of the most detailed and exhaustive anatomical and physiological texts on yoga that I've seen.

5.0 out of 5 stars Wonderful resource., December 8, 2012
This review is from: Applied Anatomy & Physiology of Yoga (Paperback)
Every yoga teacher should own this book. Period.
Well researched. Clear. Complete. A great resource for practitioners to deepen their knowledge

Applied Anatomy & Physiology of Yoga
Applied Anatomy & Physiology of Yoga by Simon Borg-Olivier and Bianca Machliss (Paperback - January 1, 2011)
Used & New from: $2,936.00