5.0 out of 5 stars Excellent resource on ABA
Published on January 15, 2007 by Donald A. Robertson

1.0 out of 5 stars Book binding is horrible!!
I plan on trying to send this book back after my semester. Literally the whole book is falling apart. Every time I turn a page, it comes out from the binding. The book was brand new, still in the plastic when I received it, so I can't believe it did this. Very unhappy!!
Published 10 months ago by Jessica Batchelor

5.0 out of 5 stars Excellent resource on ABA, January 15, 2007
This review is from: Applied Behavior Analysis (2nd Edition) (Hardcover)
I just received my copy of Applied Behaviour Analysis Second Edition today and have not put it down for several hours. I work as an ABA therapist and I am convinced that this is a learning and reference tool I will use for a long time to come to help me be better at what I do. It is very straight forward and well put together. The references to the Board Certification Task list content are excellent and the new additional chapters on Verbal Behaviour, Ethics, Motivation, Negative Reinforcement and Functional Behaviour Assessment are a real asset and make having the second edition well worth the wait. The textbook really covers a huge amount of information and is well well worth the purchase.

5.0 out of 5 stars Years pass and still this gleams, October 30, 2008
TorridlyBoredShopper "T(to the)B(to the)S" ("Daddy Dagon's Daycare" - Proud Sponsor of the Little Tendril Baseball Team, USA) - See all my reviews
(VINE VOICE)
This review is from: Applied Behavior Analysis (2nd Edition) (Hardcover)
There are a few things about this book that should be said right away. First, this is not really an introductory book to ABA, but works as a book that ties so many theories together. That means that it could be used in conjunction with many starter ABA books, allowing its reader to get a feel of just what ABA means. The book also works on both a Masters and a PhD level when it comes to conceptual decision/ debate (an oddity if I do say so myself), and covers so many things that cheaper guides seem to omit. This could mean bypassing some causal arena or not talking about something as simple as the C.A.R.R., but these tiny slips are really not so tiny when you think about them.

There are plenty of great things listed about this book in other reviews, so I'll skip the addition of chapter content and the addition of material and its praise. Instead, I'll add that this is one of the few books that can make or break you when it comes to trying to get licensure. In fact, this book has been listed as one of the top 10 preparation guides to use before testing, and that is some high praise considering how vaunted the test actually is. More than this, however, is the fact that this is a tool that can help you in real life scenarios and, truthfully, that is more important than being able to simply pass tests. In samples as heterogeneous as those seen in autism, you really need to know how to handle multiple scenarios to make a difference.

If you are looking for a navigation tool to help with the rocky waters of autism, this is a great book to acquire. It may have a price tag attached, but it proves invaluable in the long run and that matters more than anything.
Recommended for the student in all of us.

5.0 out of 5 stars Amazing Text, November 10, 2007
This review is from: Applied Behavior Analysis (2nd Edition) (Hardcover)
This text is spectacular. This edition is a triumph. I was a bit dubious when the forward obliquely compared this book to The Beatles (The White Album), but have become more sympathetic to the perspective as I have spent more time with it. Cooper/Heron is simply the book to use in studying Applied Behavior Analysis. It's not chummy or dated like some texts of 70s (an effort to reduce the response effort of learning the material, no doubt). Instead it is complete, precise and well written. My sincere thanks to the authors. Worth twice the going price.

5.0 out of 5 stars The Bible, February 11, 2009
This review is from: Applied Behavior Analysis (2nd Edition) (Hardcover)
This book is THE book to have if you are planning on a career as an applied behavior analyst, preparing to take the board certification exam in behavior analysis, or are a practicing applied behavior analyst wanting a comprehensive reference book on ABA. It is way too rigorous and way too long, in my opinion, for an introductory course in ABA, especially a one-semester undergraduate course. However, it offers the level of detail that advanced students who plan to work in ABA need. As far as I know, there is nothing that can compete with this book for completeness.

5.0 out of 5 stars Review of Cooper Book, June 23, 2012
This review is from: Applied Behavior Analysis (2nd Edition) (Hardcover)
My friends and I joke that we will name our first son Cooper! This is not to discredit Heron and Heward, but Cooper just fits better as a first name. This book is the bible. I must admit, starting out in the field I had to get use to the terminology and to the way the book is written. However, after finishing my third chapter, I read with ease and felt as though I was retaining the principles of Applied Behavior Analysis. Whether you are in an ABA program, a parent who wants to know more or a therapist who need to brush up on your ABA, this is the book for you!

My book is highlighted throughout, with notations and post-it's pouring out of the sides. You will go through it over and over again! The chapter reviews are spot on and highlight the necessary information for success in any respectable applied behavior analysis program. I love that they outline the necessary aspects of the BACB requirements at the beginning of each chapter. This has allowed me to organize my studying accordingly for the certification exam.

I hear often that the important stuff comes back and is on purpose. The repetition of certain concepts and principles throughout the book has allowed me to create a solid framework from which I pull from in my clinical practicum. Love, love, love my Cooper book!

5.0 out of 5 stars Bible of ABA, June 16, 2012
This review is from: Applied Behavior Analysis (2nd Edition) (Hardcover)
To many in the Applied Behavior Analysis field this book is known as "the white book" or "the ABA Bible" and it holds true to both names. This book is an amazing read! As a graduate student new to the field at first I was a little overwhelmed with classes and practicum. This book put me at ease and explained topics in such ways that anyone can understand. Not only is the book a great resource but the website has chapter summaries, guided, notes, essay question and chapter quizzes. This book was mandatory for many of my courses however I find myself constantly using it for projects and presentations. This book lays out a good break down of Applied Behavior Analysis in a concise manner. A must read for all exceptional education teachers those treating children with Autism and anyone interested in the field.
As a commuter, I travel a total of two hours a day, one think that this book is missing is an audio addition! Since I try to maximize my time I would love to turn to a chapter and listen to it again after reading it, for a review. Every time you read you get more knowledgeable than the last time. I would also like to have an app for the ipad or iphone! This way I don't have to carry it around everywhere :)

5.0 out of 5 stars Great book, February 4, 2014
This review is from: Applied Behavior Analysis (2nd Edition) (Hardcover)
I had to purchase this book as part of my graduate program for School Psychology! This book was full of great information which continues to be helpful for me now that I am on the field.

4.0 out of 5 stars Well thought out, March 9, 2012
This review is from: Applied Behavior Analysis (2nd Edition) (Hardcover)
The field of applied behavior analysis is rapidly growing and offers valuable help for a range of individuals including those with autism spectrum disorders. The most satisfying part of this field in general and this text in particular is the well thought out approach to understanding and modifying behavior. It is a bit ironic that behavior analysts don't spend a lot of time talking about mental explanations because they can't measure them, their work represents some of the clearest thinking in all of psychology

5.0 out of 5 stars ABA Textbook for school, September 17, 2011
This review is from: Applied Behavior Analysis (2nd Edition) (Hardcover)
This book was very informative for my masters program. It had great examples and reading took a little getting used to with all its jargon but eventually got easier to comprehend. Very useful and intend to keep it for future reference.

5.0 out of 5 stars Good Study Guide, February 22, 2008
This review is from: Applied Behavior Analysis (2nd Edition) (Hardcover)
This is a great textbook for ABA. It is perfect for studying for the Board Certification for Behavior Analysis (BCBA).

Applied Behavior Analysis (2nd Edition)
Applied Behavior Analysis (2nd Edition) by William L. Heward (Hardcover - January 7, 2007)
$174.20 $138.28