From the Back Cover
A new approach to learning classical optimization methodsnumerical techniques modeled and illustrated via MATLAB
This unique and timely volume combines a formal presentation of classical methods of design optimization with detailed instruction in the application of these methods using MATLAB. It introduces readers to the symbolic, numerical, and graphic features of MATLAB and integrates this powerful combination in the translation of many algorithms into applied optimization techniques with animation.
Applied Optimization with MATLAB® Programming develops all necessary mathematical concepts, illustrates abstract mathematical ideas of optimization using MATLABs rich graphics features, and introduces new programming skills incrementally as optimization concepts are presented. This valuable learning tool:
- Focuses on real-world optimization techniques
- Covers all areas of optimization, including linear, nonlinear, discrete, and global
- Includes creative examples from many disciplines
- Presents a number of practical, open-ended design problems
- Features an accompanying Web site with MATLAB code for all the numerical techniques and examples in the book
This one-of-a-kind resource enables senior-undergraduate and graduate students in engineering and other design disciplines to develop practical programming skills as they master the concepts of optimization. It is also an excellent self-teaching guide for design engineers in all fields of endeavor.
--This text refers to an alternate
About the Author
P. Venkataraman, PhD, is an associate professor in the Mechanical Engineering Department, Rochester Institute of Technology, Rochester, New York.