5.0 out of 5 stars Excellent book with real-word experience
I found this to be an excellent book on software project management. Many of the project management books I have picked up have been either too theory-based or not relevant to the day-to-day problems that exist in software development. I found this book both relevant and practical.

Published on April 21, 2006 by ueberhund

2.0 out of 5 stars No so good
I'm disappointed after I received the book. I'm glad I just paid the used one price.
Published on September 1, 2010 by XD

5.0 out of 5 stars Excellent book with real-word experience, April 21, 2006
ueberhund "ueberhund" (Salt Lake City, UT United States) - See all my reviews
(VINE VOICE)
This review is from: Applied Software Project Management (Paperback)

This book is divided into two sections. The first section discusses the tools involved in software project management, while the second section discusses how to actually manage a software project effectively.

The first section goes through all the tools required to effective manage a software project. The authors dedicate entire chapters to SOW creation, estimation, scheduling, coding (including a discussion on source control providers), and testing. In each chapter, not only do the authors describe the process, but in certain cases, they provide tips to help things go smoother. For example, in the chapter on estimation, the authors provide several different ways to accurately estimate project tasks. I found many of these additional tips very helpful.

In the second section of the book, the authors discuss how to effectively manage a software development team using the tools discussed in section one. The authors don't specifically use the word "agile", but I found that most of section two became a discussion on agile practices. Again, the word "agile" was never used, however, I found it both interesting and refreshing to hear a book on project management discussing how to be adaptable to change.

I was very pleased with this book. I thought it was a realistic and well-thought out book on software project management. This book goes a long way toward arming someone with the tools they need to effectively manage a software development project.

5.0 out of 5 stars Improve Team Efficiency, May 18, 2006
Dan McKinnon (Tewksbury, MA USA) - See all my reviews
(VINE VOICE)
This review is from: Applied Software Project Management (Paperback)
The software engineering process is a complicated one to say the least. Like any other product that gets "created" by the effort of a team, you need great direction and leadership to solve real world problems. You cannot simply throw more people at the problem in order to get things done, and that's where good management can make the difference when it comes to making a software product get out the door fast, efficient, and successfully.

'Applied Software Product Management' by Andrew Stellman and Jennifer Greene tackles this problem and they it's a extremely helpful read for anyone that wants to improve the process of developing software at their company. Relying off of real world experience for many, many years, the authors discuss topics such as: planning, scheduling, hiring, requirements, good coding, and testing like few others have ever done in a written form.

If you are a manager of a team, a group, or an entire company, you would be remiss to not pick up a copy of this book. The amount of great ideas and guidance contained within will no doubt fill in the leaks in your company structure, but most likely take your company to the next level. I found the information contained within to be well-written and easy to follow.

***** HIGHLY RECOMMENDED

5.0 out of 5 stars Great process and management tool!, December 2, 2005
This review is from: Applied Software Project Management (Paperback)
I've tried many project management processes and have searched through most of the popular literature over the years trying to find the best way to implement real process change. Much of the literature describes the processes well but ignores the implementation entirely. Applied Software Project Management does a wonderful job both describing the various tools and techniques and giving detailed instructions on how to implement them. The book even goes so far as to describing how to implement processes in an organization that is openly hostile to change and/or process in general.

I find this book to be an invaluable resource for any project manager. It's great for newbies, who will learn all the vocabulary and process theory. Experienced project managers will learn new tools and techniques as well as innovatives ways of getting them implemented.

5.0 out of 5 stars Practical and Useful, January 9, 2006
Samuel Kass (Pittsburgh, PA USA) - See all my reviews
This review is from: Applied Software Project Management (Paperback)
When I was managing a project at my previous company, a co-worker asked how it was possible to ever estimate something as open-ended as software development. "It's like losing your keys," he said. "How can you possibly estimate how long it will take to find them when you have no idea where they are?" I responded with, "The first time you lose your keys you can only make an educated guess. The tenth time you lose your keys, you probably have a good idea how long it will take to find them."

This book is full of the wisdom and practices necessary to make you a mature enough software development manager so you'll know how long it will take you to find your keys, and learn to find them faster each time. The practices in this book should not only have an immediate impact on your current projects, but will lay the groundwork that will let you learn more from your experience for future projects. Grounded in practical approaches to common problems, it is a great first reading for the engineer thrust into software project management, a solid refresher for experienced software managers trying to stay abreast of their field, and a useful tome of techniques for senior engineers trying to improve their company's software development productivity.

As a disclosure, I helped review the text of this book for publication and have known Andrew Stellman for over a decade from our time at Carnegie Mellon.

5.0 out of 5 stars Practical, Eclectic, and Effective, January 15, 2006
renkeyes (Pittsburgh, PA, USA) - See all my reviews
This review is from: Applied Software Project Management (Paperback)
I was one of the technical reviewers for this book. However, since I was busy with projects of my own, I did not have a chance to review all of the content prior to the book's publication. So, when I received a copy of the book, I made time in my schedule to read the sections that I had missed. Within an hour, I had already encountered at least three suggestions that will help improve ongoing projects in my organization. In retrospect, if I had made time to review the entire book before publication, I'd have likely saved my company weeks of effort.

The strength of this book lies in its practicality. This is not an academic tome or one that espouses a pet theory or practice. This is a book written by two people that clearly have extensive software project experience, a book that provides guidance on how to succeed even when the sponsors aren't sure exactly what they want, various stakeholders are jockeying for political advantage, resources are scarce, and other challenges that derail real-world projects arise.

Because of the book's emphasis on practical tools & techniques, if you work in an organization where adherence to a particular process is as important as the end result, then you would be better served by purchasing a book specific to that process. This book does briefly discuss CMM/CMMI, ISO 9000-3, Six Sigma, RUP, and XP, but the overall approach is eclectic and process-agnostic.

5.0 out of 5 stars Newbies: You need this book, December 23, 2005
This review is from: Applied Software Project Management (Paperback)
This book has given me guidance and has made a significant impact on how I manage the project managment process in my PM job. In the company where I work, a lot of the development process is/was hidden from me and I never fully see the "big picture" (to my dismay). Now I have insight into WHY certain steps or activities are undertaken from a project manager's perspective and how I can impact, manage or at least have a greater understanding of that process. This book has demystified a lot of activities and I am so impressed. It does a fantastic job of working through a project's lifecycle and providing a high-level understanding of the steps and rationelle on why things are done a certain way and the pros/cons of that approach. I find that I thumb through this book as a reference when I encounter certain hurdles or want to learn more and am thrilled when I often find the perspective that I needed.

5.0 out of 5 stars Practical Advice for PMs, September 7, 2008
This review is from: Applied Software Project Management (Paperback)
This book gets five stars, because from the first time I picked it up, it helped solve a problem I had at work with a highly annoying colleague who constantly went over my head to report to higher management anytime she even suspected I or a member of my team might be doing something wrong or not the way she would do it. Resorting to outright lies and spreading office gossip was not below her. Asking her to stop, being nice to her or being angry with her did no good. By following some of the advice in this book I was able to start to turn things around within a single day.

That is the really great thing about this book, it provides practical advice from experience project managers not only about tools and methodology of managing projects that work, but also the pitfalls of office politics and how to successfully deal with them.

The methods and tools presented in this book are very good, and are what the authors have found works in their projects. You might find that some of this is not applicable to you if you work in an organisation that already has an established methodology, or if the client insists things are done a certain way. It certainly presents some new ideas and tools to try that might improve your current proccess.

Another great thing about this book is its simplicity. There are many techniques for everything from project estimation to software testing, some of which require a high level of expertise. The techniques presented here are ones that are simple and easy to implement.

It is always good to learn from other peoples success, and this book gives you an insight into how its authors successfully manage their own projects that is valuable to every project manager.

5.0 out of 5 stars A good summary and comprehensive bibliography to those who want to go deeper, August 1, 2006
This review is from: Applied Software Project Management (Paperback)
This book covers concisely all the modern aspects os software project management, without the complexity found in more formal PM sources like the PMBOK. Moreover, the job of translating the broad and general concepts covered in the PMBOK to practical day-to-day scenarios is the major benefit from buying it. It won't, however, cover an specific issue like estimation to the level that enables you to be an estimator (this subject, for instance, is only 17 pages long), but will provide you the guidelines and references to additional material to do so.

5.0 out of 5 stars A handy guide to what makes software projects succeed, May 2, 2006
This review is from: Applied Software Project Management (Paperback)
Andrew Stellman and Jennifer Greene's Applied Software Project Management provides software engineers with a handy guide to what makes software projects succeed. From building a schedule and creating requirements and cases to managing an outsourced project, reviewing design and requirements, conducting interviews, and testing, Applied Software Project Management is broad enough to apply to all kinds of projects, yet specific enough to provide solid solutions.

5.0 out of 5 stars This a handbook or guide, September 2, 2007
Applied Software Project Management
Reviewed by Steven D. Sewell, PMP
Project Management Institute, Tampa Bay Chapter

Having been peripherally involved as a software release project team member in the past, I knew enough to get my piece of the puzzle delivered. The information in this book allows me to broaden my perspective and actually comprehend the picture I see on the puzzle box cover. The book is written in a straight ahead manner. If you are one who like examples of what is being discussed, then this book is for you. The use of clear definitions makes each topic understandable and the analogies make them memorable. Tables and scripts are used throughout to exemplify each tool and technique. Most useful in practice are the sections that aid in the diagnosing of problems that can be encountered. This book definitely hits its goal of delivering a practical guide into the hands of a software project manager. The only improvement would be to have "handbook" or "guide" placed somewhere on the cover.

Applied Software Project Management
Applied Software Project Management by Andrew Stellman (Paperback - November 28, 2005)
$39.99 $34.48