5.0 out of 5 stars An appointment with the bestseller list!
An Appointment with Murder follows Sarah Woods, who embarks on a quest to discover the truth behind the murder of her assistant. Jennings' writing is captivating, raw and thrilling (and on several occasions downright funny)!

Published on December 25, 2011 by L.M. Stull

2.0 out of 5 stars Could have been interesting...but too under-developed
Published on July 8, 2012 by Shana Hollis

5.0 out of 5 stars An appointment with the bestseller list!, December 25, 2011
L.M. Stull (Lost in a Book) - See all my reviews
This review is from: An Appointment With Murder (Sarah Woods Mystery Book 1) (Kindle Edition)

Living within each page is a multitude of twists and angles that keeps the reader guessing: WHO DID IT?! Just when I thought I'd figured out who was behind it all, she'd throw me for a loop. Jennings has a knack for drawing us in and painting a vivid picture of her character's world. A world I didn't want to leave.

I'll be anxiously waiting in line for the next installment of the Sarah Woods Mystery Series!

5.0 out of 5 stars An Appointment With Murder, November 23, 2011
II downloaded this book (my first book download on my ipad) and read it over the last two days; I couldn't put my iPad down.

I thoroughly enjoyed the book. I thought it was well written, there were several clever aspects to the story and it flowed very nicely. I was glad that it wasn't your typical love/lust story and thought the sexual inuendo was entertaining as well :). I would strongly recommend others to read this book.

5.0 out of 5 stars Appointment With Murder, November 25, 2011
Kaye (Napa, California, United States) - See all my reviews
Massage, Masturbation, Murder. When Sarah finds her assistant has been strangled in the short time she was in the back with a client she doesn't know who she can trust. Who would have done such a horrible thing? Was it a random killing or someone she knew? Although the police are investigating Sarah can't seem to stay out of it and embarks on a journey to find the killer.

A fast paced story that keeps you guessing until the very end. I enjoyed it very much and look forward to more from this author.

Highly recommend.

2.0 out of 5 stars Could have been interesting...but too under-developed, July 8, 2012
I've been on a citizen-stumbles-upon-murder-and-turns-into-amateur-slueth kick lately. I wanted to like this book, but standing next to its peers, it seems far too under-developed. I felt like I was reading a first draft or an overly self-indulgent journal. Not much depth is given to any of the characters, making it especially hard to feel any sympathy for the unhappily married, not exactly faithful heroine. One could argue that the reveal of the motive and murderer makes for a twist when finally disclosed at the very end, but, in all honesty, no other characters were really developed as potential murder suspects. When all is said and done, this book was fine as a quick read, but I would never recommend it to a friend.

2.0 out of 5 stars not horrible but not good, September 10, 2012
This is certainly NOT a five star book. I found the main character unlikeable, the writing choppy and the plot predictable. It seems to be typical of the free books on Amazon. Additionally, the electronic version is missing the word "blank" throughout the book and the layout is poor.

4.0 out of 5 stars I love a writer who can deliver a great "whodunit"!, June 11, 2012
In the book An Appointment With Murder, you meet Sarah Woods, a woman in her 40s with her own massage therapy business, an uncertain marriage, and a teenage son growing up way too fast for her liking. Within the first few minutes of the book, you also meet her secretary Beth, a newlywed that Sarah is grateful for, especially since Beth keeps the perve clients away.

Speaking of clients, Sarah waits for one in particular who shows up late and showers off in the back. As Sarah preps the massage table in the back, she realizes that this client has been taking too long. She calls out for him from outside the shut bathroom door, and hears no response. Fearing the worst, Sarah peeks in and calls out for the client again. Instead of seeing a dead body on the floor like she thought she might, she catches him in an...inimiate moment. Laughing it off, she goes to the front desk to joke it off with Beth.

She finds Beth dead in her chair.

The excitement doesn't end there as Sarah meets Beth's mysterious, but sexy brother, her nervous roommate, and uncovers a hidden past she never would have expected from her seemingly innocent receptionist.

Jennings delivers non-stop excitement as you try to figure out the killer right alongside Sarah. It's my favorite type of mystery because you never would expect the ending.

4.0 out of 5 stars An Appointment With Murder by Jennifer L. Jennings, June 3, 2012
An Appointment With Murder by Jennifer L. Jennings is the first in the Sarah Woods Mystery series. This is a debut novel for this author and I found the mystery to be a very good one. Jennings had me fooled as to who the perpetrator of the crime in Sarah Woods' therapeutic massage business was. Sarah had hired Beth Stevens , a young woman about to be married, as her receptionist, and she was turning out to be very good at the job. That didn't last too long, because while Sarah was preparing the room for a client and then went back out to speak to Beth, Sarah found Beth dead at her desk.

The pathway to finding out who committed this crime and others that take place is going to be hard for Sarah, who has an inattentive husband and a teenage son at home. Everyone needs her attention at times, and when she meets Beth's brother, Max, her attention gets focused on him a little more than she's comfortable with.

There are several persons of interest who may have had reason to kill Beth, but figuring out which one was made difficult. Jennings' next Sarah Woods Mystery is already on my Kindle, ready to read since I enjoyed this one so much.

5.0 out of 5 stars An Appointment With Murder, January 11, 2012
What a debut smash from Jennifer Jennings! I really enjoyed this murder mystery, and I think Jennings did an outstanding job keeping her readers guessing until the last possible moment. The plotline has several different layers--a troubled marriage, affairs, mid-life crises, career dissatisfaction. Oh yeah. And murder.

I love the protagonist, Sarah Woods, who is complex and relatable to the average female reader. She is warm, intelligent, funny, and charged with a desire to find out whodunit. Believable and three-dimensional, Sarah makes mistakes and can admit it. A character you can expect to grow and change along the way.

Jennings is a gifted writer with an eye for humor. She understands how to twist a plot without holding information from the reader--a very difficult task for a writer. Jennings keeps things moving along while still giving us plenty of vivid detail, witty dialogue, and a firm sense of place.

I'm really looking forward to reading the next book in the Sarah Woods Mystery Series.

4.0 out of 5 stars Short and sweet, January 19, 2013
I liked this book or mini-book really - it's quite short. A nice little who dunnit. I am likely to read the sequels one day to see what Sarah is up to next.

5.0 out of 5 stars an appointment with murder, November 3, 2012
I liked it, easy to read and follow. I'm going to read the next one. I like that it doesn't skip all around, in and out of the present.

Rate and Discover Movies