Truck Month Spring Reading 2016 Amazon Fashion Learn more nav_sap_plcc_ascpsc Sixx AM Fire TV with 4k Ultra HD Mother's Day Gifts Amazon Gift Card Offer ctstrph2 ctstrph2 ctstrph2  Amazon Echo  Echo Dot  Amazon Tap  Echo Dot  Amazon Tap  Amazon Echo Fire, Only $39.99 Kindle Paperwhite UniOrlando Spring Arrivals in Outdoor Clothing STEM

on September 9, 2013
I picked up Appointments With Heaven By Reggie Anderson the last day that Jacob was on this earth. I was struggling along with his pain that day so sat on the couch by him and read. I needed something spiritual to help me get through it.

I've read several books about Heaven before. I don't doubt that some people are able to get a glimpse of Heaven while here on earth. It's just hard to know which books are honest and which are not (because some I've read seem so far fetched that you really have to question them).

Written by a doctor who not only had his own glimpse of Heaven but also has had some with patients as they cross over. It's a subtle glimpse at Heaven. Reggie Anderson tells us how he lost his faith for some time and how he gained it back. How caring for the living and the dying has helped him see parts of not only Heaven, but also hell.

The book kept me interested the whole way through and helped strengthen my own faith, especially in a time when I needed it.
33 comments|98 people found this helpful. Was this review helpful to you?YesNoReport abuse
on September 5, 2013
Heaven is closer than we think.

The book Appointments with Heaven, by Dr. Reggie Anderson, is a beautiful, simple collection of stories about the life of the author and the people he has watched go to heaven as their attending doctor. Born and raised in the simple country of the south, Dr Anderson is honest with us about the struggles of faith he had in his late teens and early 20s after a trauma in the family. When he returned to his faith, it is clear that God gave him an unusual ability to experience the spiritual realm in a way few of us do.

Dr. Anderson, in conversational and easy language, tells us of his experience with Jesus that transformed his life. He shares the special knowledge God has given him to know when someone is about to go to heaven and what it is like to sit with someone as they go. Although many in the world are afraid of death, Dr. Anderson's stories make it clear that, for those who belong to Jesus, there is no fear but only peace and joy. He says over and over through the book that heaven is closer than we think, and he tells about person after person for whom he saw Jesus "part the veil" to come and receive unto Himself.

The other side must be told as well, and so we do hear about an unrepentant man who refused the gospel to the end--and how Dr. Anderson was there in the room for the experience of his death, one very different than those for whom Jesus came. It is a reminder that just as heaven is real, so is hell.

This book is gentle and sweet. It is quietly persuasive. It would be a wonderful book to share with someone who needs extra reassurance of what awaits him at the end of life--or with someone who does not believe anything awaits him. The close relationships between Dr. Anderson's family and that of well known Christian singer Steven Curtis Chapman's family lend authenticity to his accounts, for those who may need that. The Chapman family has not been excluded from the grief of losing someone, and as their story is tenderly retold in this book it confirms all the rest of Dr. Anderson's experiences.

I was super blessed to receive a copy of this book for free from Tyndale House Publishers.

Here is a wonderful youtube video of Dr Anderson talking about the amazing opportunities God has given him to sense heaven close at hand.
on September 4, 2013
I just finished reading "Appointments with Heaven" and had to just sit for a moment to allow the reality and beauty of this book to wash over me. Dr. Anderson tells the story of his life - the pain as well the joys, the season of a walk far from God, and the personal as well as professional experiences with life and death! The lessons he learned are lessons that now mark my life. As a pastor, I am privileged to be invited to share final earthly moments with many people. Dr. Anderson vividly describes his experiences that so mirror mine. God is loving, personal, and reaching- and never so close as when the veil is parted and He welcomes us Home. I love Dr. Anderson's reminder - "we don't spend life walking toward eternity; we walk alongside it." I highly recommend this book and, as a former teacher, would definitely classify it as "required reading" for everyone!!
on December 8, 2013
The reviews on this book have been mostly glowing, so I realize I'm in the minority here. I just felt I should offer my take on the book, as I wish someone had done before I made the decision to order it, that gives a true description of what the reader is likely to find inside the covers. I had been under the impression that this was a book that discusses the topic of "life after life" from a physician's perspective. I believed there would be case studies and anecdotes of NDEs, or at the very least some detailed accounts of deathbed experiences witnessed. Instead, it is an autobiography in which the author talks about his life from childhood, family tragedies, career choices, falling in love, starting life as a doctor, parenthood, etc. He is not famous, nor has he had a particularly remarkable life. Apparently his main motivation for writing is to share his faith in Jesus, and the whole "glimpses into heaven" turn out to be about 1% of the total narrative and a trendy hook to capture a potential reader's attention.

While Dr. Anderson seems to be a very nice person, who writes well enough to tell a pleasant story, I would have had zero interest in spending money to hear about his life and spiritual inclinations, had I known that was what I was in for. I was interested I learning more about NDEs and deathbed visitations, not spending an evening hearing rambling anecdotes on any subject but, however kindly the storyteller. I was halfway through the book before the first story appeared that even remotely resembled a true "glimpse into heaven," and after skimming ahead a few more chapters, I finally had to throw in the towel.

Read if you want a re-affirmation of your faith; otherwise, move along...there's nothing to see here.
55 comments|128 people found this helpful. Was this review helpful to you?YesNoReport abuse
on September 4, 2013
Dr. Reggie Anderson shares his incredible life journey from a young boy growing up in rural Tennessee who loved God with all of his heart, to a young man attending college who begins to doubt the very existence of God after losing family to a brutal and senseless murder. But Reggie shows us that God wasn't ready to give up on him yet, and reveals Himself to Reggie in the most incredible way- an open vision of heaven, and a promise from Jesus Christ Himself. After this experience, he eagerly rededicates his life to the Lord, and after finishing medical school, begins to share his faith and experience with dying patients and their families, bringing them a sense of peace they otherwise never would have had. And as they pass from this life to the next, Dr. Anderson can sense the powerful presence of God, and the thinness of the veil that separates us from Heaven.

In Appointments with Heaven, Dr. Anderson shows us the incredible beauty of heaven that he was fortunate enough to experience. He reveals that God's presence is closer than we think, especially in those times that we need Him the most, and that at the end of it all, as followers and believers in Jesus Christ, we have something to look forward to in Heaven that is beyond description. This book blessed me and left me with an eager anticipation of rejoining my loved ones in Heaven, in the presence of our Creator and His perfect love. I highly recommend this book, especially for those who have lost loved ones or have a fear or doubt about what happens after death. A beautiful book that will inspire and strengthen your faith!

I received this book for free through the Tyndale Blog Network in exchange for an honest review.
on July 13, 2014
I thought this was an interesting memoir. It was misrepresented though. It is more a story of his life with a few appointments with heaven thrown in. A big part was his journey to faith and religion that took up at least half of the book. If you are looking for a book that focuses on death and afterlife experience this is not the book for you. If you like to read memoirs of regular people coming to Christ then you might like it.
on October 22, 2013
I would highly recommend this book to all believers. It touched my heart in so many ways and gave me peace thinking about the ones who have lost their lives in a tragedy or died, as seen by me, as way before their time. I couldn't hardly put it down after I started it. I actually pass this Dr in the hallways of the hospital I work in. He always smiles and speaks.
on April 13, 2014
Nice book written by a nice man but information about heaven was very sparse. Aside from one dream he has, the only glimpses of heaven provided are his sensing a warmth and a cool breeze along wirh the smell of lillac and citris when someone dies. I was disappointed and have read many more exciting and detailed works on this subject. In fact, the book had too much unnecessary and irrelevant verbiage and should have been written with 1/3 the space he used. Nevertheless, there are some nice stories provided and the book should have been titled: The Life Of A Christian Doctor.
on June 8, 2014
There I was, year after year, visiting with Dr. Reggie Anderson, in his Ashland City (Tennesse) office, asking him to heal me from my this and from my that kind of ailings. One thing I noticed, during my health updates, was the good doctor's taste for soothing, Heavenly art... on his office walls.

But I was a fool. And, as my dad always said, I didn't use my brain to think... and to ask more about those pictures.

That's why I am now in complete after-SHOCK over finding out that Doc Reggie has enormous insight on where we go (just in case his healings should twist a bit haywire ;)

On a more serious note, I must tell you: this book is a BUCKET LIST item. YOU SIMPLY MUST READ IT BEFORE YOU DIE!

And, if you elect not to... well, you'll have to call Dr. Anderson on that one.

BECAUSE...

This book will definitely open your mind

This book will help you read your Bible better

This book will strengthen your faith

This book will lead to good discussions with your favorite people

This book will comfort you

This book will give you hope

And...

This book will also give you learnings about all what a person must go through to become your doctor. Thus, on your next visit, hug your Doc :)

Read this book many times over. Study its Bible references. Take it to heart. And take your heart to the Lord.
on December 13, 2015
This is a wonderful book. It covers many topics not covered in books I have read about death and NDEs. He talks about holding his father's hand as he passed through the veil from this side of life to the other side. So much of what he felt was the same as I felt holding my mother's hand as she slipped from this life to heaven. It was amazing. Dr. Anderson reveals all that he has seen and experienced of the afterlife. You learn how you can face the passing of loved ones and friends keeping courage that you can see them again. The book also helps you prepare for your appointment once the time comes to go to a far better life, heaven. This is a Christian based book and there is the point that everyone does not go to heaven although the doctor points out heaven is for everyone if they will believe. You need to understand you will see both sides from the author's view point. For most of us there is the question at the core of our being. What does truly happen at the time of death. You will get the answer to question such as Is there more to life than the here and now. What is heaven like and most important, do you believe in heaven and hell enough to allow it to change your way of seeing life after death. This is a grand story filled with so many wonderful stories of hope and future happiness.