Industrial-Sized Deals GG Shop Men's Athletic Shoes Learn more nav_sap_plcc_6M_fly_beacon Adele egg_2015 All-New Amazon Fire TV Grocery Gifts Under $50 Amazon Gift Card Offer minions minions minions  Amazon Echo Starting at $84.99 Kindle Black Friday Deals TheGoodDinosaur Outdoors Gift Guide on HTL

on September 9, 2013
I picked up Appointments With Heaven By Reggie Anderson the last day that Jacob was on this earth. I was struggling along with his pain that day so sat on the couch by him and read. I needed something spiritual to help me get through it.

I've read several books about Heaven before. I don't doubt that some people are able to get a glimpse of Heaven while here on earth. It's just hard to know which books are honest and which are not (because some I've read seem so far fetched that you really have to question them).

Written by a doctor who not only had his own glimpse of Heaven but also has had some with patients as they cross over. It's a subtle glimpse at Heaven. Reggie Anderson tells us how he lost his faith for some time and how he gained it back. How caring for the living and the dying has helped him see parts of not only Heaven, but also hell.

The book kept me interested the whole way through and helped strengthen my own faith, especially in a time when I needed it.
11 commentWas this review helpful to you?YesNoReport abuse
on September 5, 2013
Heaven is closer than we think.

The book Appointments with Heaven, by Dr. Reggie Anderson, is a beautiful, simple collection of stories about the life of the author and the people he has watched go to heaven as their attending doctor. Born and raised in the simple country of the south, Dr Anderson is honest with us about the struggles of faith he had in his late teens and early 20s after a trauma in the family. When he returned to his faith, it is clear that God gave him an unusual ability to experience the spiritual realm in a way few of us do.

Dr. Anderson, in conversational and easy language, tells us of his experience with Jesus that transformed his life. He shares the special knowledge God has given him to know when someone is about to go to heaven and what it is like to sit with someone as they go. Although many in the world are afraid of death, Dr. Anderson's stories make it clear that, for those who belong to Jesus, there is no fear but only peace and joy. He says over and over through the book that heaven is closer than we think, and he tells about person after person for whom he saw Jesus "part the veil" to come and receive unto Himself.

The other side must be told as well, and so we do hear about an unrepentant man who refused the gospel to the end--and how Dr. Anderson was there in the room for the experience of his death, one very different than those for whom Jesus came. It is a reminder that just as heaven is real, so is hell.

This book is gentle and sweet. It is quietly persuasive. It would be a wonderful book to share with someone who needs extra reassurance of what awaits him at the end of life--or with someone who does not believe anything awaits him. The close relationships between Dr. Anderson's family and that of well known Christian singer Steven Curtis Chapman's family lend authenticity to his accounts, for those who may need that. The Chapman family has not been excluded from the grief of losing someone, and as their story is tenderly retold in this book it confirms all the rest of Dr. Anderson's experiences.

I was super blessed to receive a copy of this book for free from Tyndale House Publishers.

Here is a wonderful youtube video of Dr Anderson talking about the amazing opportunities God has given him to sense heaven close at hand.
on September 4, 2013
I just finished reading "Appointments with Heaven" and had to just sit for a moment to allow the reality and beauty of this book to wash over me. Dr. Anderson tells the story of his life - the pain as well the joys, the season of a walk far from God, and the personal as well as professional experiences with life and death! The lessons he learned are lessons that now mark my life. As a pastor, I am privileged to be invited to share final earthly moments with many people. Dr. Anderson vividly describes his experiences that so mirror mine. God is loving, personal, and reaching- and never so close as when the veil is parted and He welcomes us Home. I love Dr. Anderson's reminder - "we don't spend life walking toward eternity; we walk alongside it." I highly recommend this book and, as a former teacher, would definitely classify it as "required reading" for everyone!!
on September 4, 2013
Dr. Reggie Anderson shares his incredible life journey from a young boy growing up in rural Tennessee who loved God with all of his heart, to a young man attending college who begins to doubt the very existence of God after losing family to a brutal and senseless murder. But Reggie shows us that God wasn't ready to give up on him yet, and reveals Himself to Reggie in the most incredible way- an open vision of heaven, and a promise from Jesus Christ Himself. After this experience, he eagerly rededicates his life to the Lord, and after finishing medical school, begins to share his faith and experience with dying patients and their families, bringing them a sense of peace they otherwise never would have had. And as they pass from this life to the next, Dr. Anderson can sense the powerful presence of God, and the thinness of the veil that separates us from Heaven.

In Appointments with Heaven, Dr. Anderson shows us the incredible beauty of heaven that he was fortunate enough to experience. He reveals that God's presence is closer than we think, especially in those times that we need Him the most, and that at the end of it all, as followers and believers in Jesus Christ, we have something to look forward to in Heaven that is beyond description. This book blessed me and left me with an eager anticipation of rejoining my loved ones in Heaven, in the presence of our Creator and His perfect love. I highly recommend this book, especially for those who have lost loved ones or have a fear or doubt about what happens after death. A beautiful book that will inspire and strengthen your faith!

I received this book for free through the Tyndale Blog Network in exchange for an honest review.
on December 8, 2013
The reviews on this book have been mostly glowing, so I realize I'm in the minority here. I just felt I should offer my take on the book, as I wish someone had done before I made the decision to order it, that gives a true description of what the reader is likely to find inside the covers. I had been under the impression that this was a book that discusses the topic of "life after life" from a physician's perspective. I believed there would be case studies and anecdotes of NDEs, or at the very least some detailed accounts of deathbed experiences witnessed. Instead, it is an autobiography in which the author talks about his life from childhood, family tragedies, career choices, falling in love, starting life as a doctor, parenthood, etc. He is not famous, nor has he had a particularly remarkable life. Apparently his main motivation for writing is to share his faith in Jesus, and the whole "glimpses into heaven" turn out to be about 1% of the total narrative and a trendy hook to capture a potential reader's attention.

While Dr. Anderson seems to be a very nice person, who writes well enough to tell a pleasant story, I would have had zero interest in spending money to hear about his life and spiritual inclinations, had I known that was what I was in for. I was interested I learning more about NDEs and deathbed visitations, not spending an evening hearing rambling anecdotes on any subject but, however kindly the storyteller. I was halfway through the book before the first story appeared that even remotely resembled a true "glimpse into heaven," and after skimming ahead a few more chapters, I finally had to throw in the towel.

Read if you want a re-affirmation of your faith; otherwise, move along...there's nothing to see here.
33 commentsWas this review helpful to you?YesNoReport abuse
on February 22, 2014
I have the privilege of being a nurse where dr anderson visits daily, so though it might make me a little biased, I can assure you this man is the real deal. Always caring, no matter the time of day ( I work nights and there is nothing so dreaded as having to call a Dr in the middle of the night) It is always a relief to see you have "Dr Reggie" patients. I found great reassurance of the beauty and peace of heaven from reading Dr Anderson's experiences.
on July 13, 2014
I thought this was an interesting memoir. It was misrepresented though. It is more a story of his life with a few appointments with heaven thrown in. A big part was his journey to faith and religion that took up at least half of the book. If you are looking for a book that focuses on death and afterlife experience this is not the book for you. If you like to read memoirs of regular people coming to Christ then you might like it.
TOP 500 REVIEWERon September 14, 2013
One of the first and best heaven-related books that I read was Heaven by Randy Alcorn of Eternal Perspective Ministries (EPM). It was a subject that I never considered would become a part of my study not because it was unimportant but rather I was of the opinion that it was an incomprehensible subject. Yet, Heaven opened my eyes and I was fortunate enough to get Heaven for Kids for my children.

Later, I was introduced to 90 Minutes in Heaven by Don Piper (September 2004), In the Arms of Angels by Joan Wester Anderson (September 2004), Nine Days In Heaven by Dennis Prince (2006), Revealing Heaven by Kat Kerr (2007), Angels and Wonders by Joan Wester Anderson (August 2008 - Joan W.Anderson also wrote four other related books), My Time In Heaven by Sigmund Richard (2009), Flight to Heaven by Dale Black (2010), 40 Days in Heaven by Rev Elwood Scott (2010) and it kept coming.

Some more books hit the stands in recent times like Heaven is for Real by Todd Burpo (2010), My Trip to Heaven by David Taylor (2011), To Heaven and Back by Mary C. Neal M.D. (May 2012), My Journey to Heaven by Marvin J. Besteman (September 2012), Heaven Changes Everything by Todd Burpo ( 2012), Proof of Heaven by Eben Alexande (October 2012), Afterlife by Hank Hanegraff and more recently Waking Up in Heaven by Crystal McVea (April 2013).

And last month, Dr. Reggie Anderson, a medical doctor in rural Tennessee comes up with yet another heaven-related book Appointment With Heaven, published by Tyndale Momentum, and all of 336 pages.

Yet, Appointments with Heaven is different! Perhaps, more than the book the author has a real faith story to convey. Though brought up in a Christian home, a family tragedy made him to turn his back on God. But while he was in medical college, during a camping, he read Mere Christianity by C.S.Lewis which addressed many of the problems which he was struggling with. He later took the Bible and read John's gospel. When he went to sleep he found himself in a beautiful meadow where he saw his family members who died in the tragedy. They told him not to blame God for their deaths. He then met Jesus, who then revealed to him much of his future. When he awoke from his sleep he was a changed person.

One fascinating thing described by the doctor is the feeling of warm that permeates the entire room when a person dies. He writes that he could see a glow, and minced no words in saying that he believes that is the point when a soul is being escorted to heaven.

Appointment with God is a truly heart-warming read that will inspire and motivate many believers to know for sure that God is with us even at our darkest moments.

Publisher: Tyndale Momentum
Language: English
ISBN-10: 1414380453
ISBN-13: 978-1414380452
Product Dimensions: 8.2 x 5.5 x 1 inches

DR. REGGIE ANDERSON has practiced family medicine for over 25 years and was recently awarded the Frist Humanitarian Award by the Centennial Medical Center in Nashville. A graduate of the University of Alabama Medical School, Reggie is a physician with the Frist Clinic. He also serves as Chief of Staff of TriStar Ashland City Medical Center, as well as medical director of three nursing homes. Reggie and his wife Karen have four adult children and reside on a farm in Kingston Springs.
on October 22, 2013
I would highly recommend this book to all believers. It touched my heart in so many ways and gave me peace thinking about the ones who have lost their lives in a tragedy or died, as seen by me, as way before their time. I couldn't hardly put it down after I started it. I actually pass this Dr in the hallways of the hospital I work in. He always smiles and speaks.
on February 6, 2014
Sooner or later, we all will face the sting of death when we lose a loved one and, eventually, our own demise. Dr. Anderson has the prescription for that fear and sorrow we all dread. I took great comfort in reading about this "gift" of Dr. Anderson that undoubtedly came from God to give the rest of us a glimpse beyond the veil. I, too, am in the medical field and see patients die on a regular basis. I've often wondered about the transition of these souls as they pass from this life to another world, and most seem to be at peace when they do so while a very few do not. Now I know why. I bought this book as a gift to my mother who will turn 87 years old. It was a day late - as I scanned the pages before mailing it, I had to sit down and read it in it's entirety. I'll buy one for my own bookshelf as well as an extra copy - no doubt, it will also be gifted when the need arises.