Industrial-Sized Deals TextBTS15 Shop Women's Handbags Learn more nav_sap_SWP_6M_fly_beacon $5 Albums Fire TV Stick Grocery Find the Best Purina Pro Plan for Your Pet Shop Popular Services tmnt tmnt tmnt  Amazon Echo Starting at $99 Kindle Voyage Metal Gear Solid 5 Shop Back to School with Amazon Back to School with Amazon Outdoor Recreation Deal of the Day
Kindle Price: $5.99

These promotions will be applied to this item:

Some promotions may be combined; others are not eligible to be combined with other offers. For details, please see the Terms & Conditions associated with these promotions.

Deliver to your Kindle or other device

Deliver to your Kindle or other device

Flip to back Flip to front
Audible Narration Playing... Paused   You are listening to a sample of the Audible narration for this Kindle book.
Learn more

Apprenticed to a Himalayan Master (A Yogi's Autobiography) Kindle Edition

98 customer reviews

See all 3 formats and editions Hide other formats and editions
Amazon Price New from Used from
Kindle
"Please retry"
$5.99
Paperback
"Please retry"
$30.96

Length: 380 pages Word Wise: Enabled

Hero Quick Promo
Kindle Books by Guests of "The Daily Show with Jon Stewart"
Revisit the show's literary moments with Kindle books by authors who appeared on the show. Learn more

Product Details

  • File Size: 4820 KB
  • Print Length: 380 pages
  • Publisher: Magenta Press; 2012 Edition edition (November 10, 2013)
  • Publication Date: November 10, 2013
  • Sold by: Amazon Digital Services, Inc.
  • Language: English
  • ASIN: B007F2I3F0
  • Text-to-Speech: Enabled
  • X-Ray:
  • Word Wise: Enabled
  • Lending: Enabled
  • Enhanced Typesetting: Not Enabled
  • Amazon Best Sellers Rank: #58,851 Paid in Kindle Store (See Top 100 Paid in Kindle Store)
  •  Would you like to give feedback on images?


More About the Author

Discover books, learn about writers, read author blogs, and more.

Customer Reviews

Most Helpful Customer Reviews

15 of 15 people found the following review helpful By Anuja on October 15, 2012
Format: Kindle Edition
My passion being reading autobiographies of renunciates, yogis and sages, this book gives reader the experience of a journey well taken. Right from starting of the book, Sri M speaks like he is a traveler rather someone leading a life. The ease with which he speaks of his past life and its continuation in the present one is incredible and only an adept can reach that comfort. One thing I'm very impressed as a reader is that his book does not attempt to convince at any point however incredible the experience. He has written in a matter of fact way and so he has left the choice to us, take it or leave it. His experiences are out of ordinary, but the starkness and simplicity of his language make them very approachable. His frankly simple and simply frank attitude seeps into his writing skills and so as an autobiography it very easily inspires the reader. At the end of the book, one is left with a feeling of awe and and just a tingle of regret. Very few books achieve that feeling where the reader wishes it should never end, this book reaches that harbor.
2 Comments Was this review helpful to you? Yes No Sending feedback...
Thank you for your feedback. If this review is inappropriate, please let us know.
Sorry, we failed to record your vote. Please try again
12 of 12 people found the following review helpful By Sivakumar Patibanda on September 6, 2011
Format: Paperback
Apprenticed to a Himalayan Master.
It has been a long while since I read a spiritual autobiography as inspiring and engaging as this personal narrative by Sri M. "Apprenticed to a Himalayan Master" is a story of a Master- Disciple relationship narrated by a doting disciple in a simple, honest and straightforward manner. This is a true story of mystical places, mystics, saints and messiahs.

If you are experiencing one of those dry spells in your spiritual life, this book will inspire you again.

I am placing this book in the same league as "Autobiography of a Yogi" and "Living with the Himalayan Masters". "Apprenticed to a Himalayan Master" is a "must-own" book for every spiritual seeker and is sure to become a classic that will remain among the best sellers in its genre for a long time.
Comment Was this review helpful to you? Yes No Sending feedback...
Thank you for your feedback. If this review is inappropriate, please let us know.
Sorry, we failed to record your vote. Please try again
7 of 7 people found the following review helpful By Saske on August 16, 2012
Format: Kindle Edition Verified Purchase
It is difficult to explain metaphysics to the modern scientific mind or those with minimal knowledge of Hindu spiritual practices. The author does a commendable job in narrating his experiences. The deeper meaning would be lost of course, by writing in a non native tongue which cannot be expected to have the appropriate vocabulary.
Still the author manages to explain, educate and help the readers navigate through this story of spiritual enlightenment.
Comment Was this review helpful to you? Yes No Sending feedback...
Thank you for your feedback. If this review is inappropriate, please let us know.
Sorry, we failed to record your vote. Please try again
6 of 6 people found the following review helpful By anshumanc on April 27, 2013
Format: Kindle Edition
'Autobiography of a Yogi' is the only other book that I can think of as I talk of this honest recount by Shri M.

A spiritual metamorphosis occurs in front of our eyes as Mumtaz transmutes into 'M'.

For many people of 21st century, Yogananda's 'Thou's , Thy's and Intense english prose was too high a language barrier for commoners to get in. For the generation of SMS language adepts, Babaji knows too well the importance of Simple Language and Brevity in this age.

Just like Sant Jnaneshwar wrote the first Marathi Bhagwat Gita meant for the masses ,Shri M has written a simple and non-intimidating recount in this flavorful, consumable and an easily digestible book of timeless significance.

If 'AOAY' was a book primarily for Westeners, transforming people like Steve Jobs, Luther Burbank, The Beatles and a host of others. This book is primarily an Indian Book. Set in India. Enacted in places like the Mumbai Taj Hotel. This book will inspire many Indians and Westerners alike.

If you loved 'Autobiography of a Yogi', you will always keep this book very prominently in your bookshelf. The characters in both these books are almost same. Only the date and and setting has changed.

And M, thanks for not ignoring the majority of us.
Comment Was this review helpful to you? Yes No Sending feedback...
Thank you for your feedback. If this review is inappropriate, please let us know.
Sorry, we failed to record your vote. Please try again
17 of 22 people found the following review helpful By Narayan on January 9, 2013
Format: Paperback Verified Purchase
The author has attempted to write about the mystical world of Himalayan masters. In my mind the books can be roughly divided into two portions. The first half (around 60%) of the book revolves around the young yogi looking for his master and his mystical 3.5 years with Babaji as he is known. This part of the book is fantastic and well written, it has a certain flow and authenticity to it. The rest 40% is poorly composed, it just speaks about different shrines of various monks Sri M visits, and none of it has any takeaways for the reader. There are also certain contradictions in the book, I will note a couple.

1)The aspect of Sri M's getting married. He claims that he was asked by his masters to get married because he needed to show his followers that married people can tread the path. Also he mentions to have other relationships before marriage. While marriage is a personal choice I would find it difficult to believe that someone who has experienced highest bliss wants to get bound in marriage and add new karmas to his life. At certain point he is said to have received all the powers of his master's Babaji, Babaji's miracles like walking through walls, teleportation etc. have been described in length. So why does he need to appease the external world through symbolism, his presence is enough.

2) It seems the author is keen on spreading the message of kriya yoga, so much so that he reduced the criteria from 21 to only 2. This again contradicts the entire book is based on the premise that for a sincere seeker the master will appear and somewhere in the book it is mentioned to focus on quality not quantity.

I feel the author having experienced the highest knowledge lost the thread somewhere, as it happens with many advanced spiritual teachers. This is true of the book as well. I give 5 stars for the first 60% of the book and zero stars for the rest 40%. Averages to 3 stars.
3 Comments Was this review helpful to you? Yes No Sending feedback...
Thank you for your feedback. If this review is inappropriate, please let us know.
Sorry, we failed to record your vote. Please try again

Forums

There are no discussions about this product yet.
Be the first to discuss this product with the community.
Start a new discussion
Topic:
First post:
Prompts for sign-in
 


What Other Items Do Customers Buy After Viewing This Item?