Customer Discussions > Diary of a Wimpy Kid, Book 1 forum

Appropriate for a 7 year old?

Sort: Oldest first | Newest first
Showing 1-24 of 24 posts in this discussion
Initial post: Jun 7, 2008 7:43:19 AM PDT
My 7 yr old son's friend recommended this to me in the book store last night saying he read all of the pages himself (no help from mom or dad) in 3 days. My son rarely picks up a book unless coerced. So, I bought it. I read the cover--the word moron is on the cover and inside I found "fart" and some other beauties. My 8 yr old wouldn't dream of calling a classmate a moron, but my 7 yr old would think that was a really tough thing to do. Would someone who has read this book in full tell me if my clown 7 yr old will be doing rotten things as a result of reading this? He is already on page 25 (a miracle if you ask me).

In reply to an earlier post on Sep 15, 2008 2:29:15 PM PDT
Tia Leah says:
I bought this book for my nephew's 7th birthday and he loves it, LOVES IT. While it may foster some good-natured clowning around, I see no harm! Relax.

In reply to an earlier post on Sep 30, 2008 9:17:04 AM PDT
nevina says:
At last years scholastic book fair this book was hot. It was mainly boys reading it but some girls too. I think it is a pretty good book for reluctant readers in particular. My son happily reads anything he can gets his hands on and loved this book. I don't think it was responsible for any increase in bad behavior. I would say that if you have a question about a book your child is reading, read it yourself. There are many great kids books out there which adults enjoy as much as kids do, and this book in particular will take you no more than an hour to read. I read this not so long ago while I was trying to purge some bookshelves in my son's room to make room for new books. I read through the book and will admit to laughing out loud on more than one page. It is just so full of dumb, goofy jokes and scenarios that I can see why boys of a certain age are drawn to it.

In reply to an earlier post on Dec 5, 2008 10:27:17 AM PST
Last edited by the author on Dec 5, 2008 10:35:12 AM PST
Yale says:
My daughter is 7 years old, she read both of them like in a week or so. She was so much into those books, that would walk around reading them -just to not put them down, and would finish her chores promptly just to get back to her "wimpy kid" stories. One night, we where at a book store that has a pre-sale add of the third "wimpy kid" book, my daughter even self registered in one list to be notified by phone when the third book was available. Although I managed not to look so impressed myself, I was cracking up inside, just to see that much enthusiasm about those books. Regarding bad behavior encouraged by this books, I have not seen such a thing, this is not the Twilight series read by a 7-years-old, it is just a comics' book. In addition to, I discussed with her all the time about bad words, o certain passages on the book that look a little bit cumbersome for her age, a good help was comparing Gregg's time to some examples about growing up with my brithers & sister. My conslusion? Your 7-years old and you would enjoy the book if read with good sense of humor.

Posted on Jul 2, 2009 9:12:57 AM PDT
S. Allen says:
My son just turned 7 today and has read the first three wimpy kid books. He has yet to call anyone a moron. He has always loved books, and is an advanced reader, but got in trouble a couple of times for not turning off his light at bedtime- because he didn't want to put these books down! He will be looking forward to the release of the next one.

Posted on Aug 31, 2009 8:27:02 PM PDT
Isaac Police says:
I think 7 is a little too young just to hand this book to them and say "Enjoy!" It is a great book, but Greg, the main character is so oblivious to how his actions effect other people, the book really needs discussion for a younger child to understand. There is a point in the book where Greg unreservedly tells his Mom he did the right thing, and in his mind he did. But to us adult readers, it is clear that he did not. I don't think a 7 year old could pick up on that nuance without talking about it. Read p. 179-185 to see what I'm talking about. It is a really enjoyable book! Read it WITH your 7 year old! And TALK about it! :)

In reply to an earlier post on Oct 1, 2009 4:06:57 AM PDT
[Deleted by the author on Oct 1, 2009 4:08:22 AM PDT]

Posted on Oct 2, 2009 4:09:44 AM PDT
I agree with Isaac Police, this is a great read aloud book for the whole family but I wouldn't advise handing it over for a kid to read on their own. I get the feeling that you know your child pretty well and realize that this would probably encourage inappropriate behavior - just trust that feeling. Don't give up on the books though, they are great for reluctant readers and reading aloud actually helps them enjoy it even more. If you are reluctant to read aloud, try reading each chapter when he's done with it then chat about what you thought of the book, like a "book club" type thing. Make it fun so he'll want to interact with you and you'll have a chance to drop a few hints about what Greg said or did that probably wouldn't be a good idea to imitate. Plus you'll get a good chuckle yourself; these books are funny!

Posted on Oct 2, 2009 9:33:45 AM PDT
Ballston Mom says:
My neighbor's 5th grader just read these and one of these books reveals the Santa Secret.. I think the first one.. not sure, I didn't ask. My 7 year old read them b/c the school book fair teachers assured me they were OK for 2nd grade. My son never mentioned the Santa Secret.. but I guess now he knows and is just isn't letting on! The neighbors' 5th grader alerted his mom about it before the 7 year old read it and they are waiting until their 7 year old asks about Santa before just letting him find out in the book.

Posted on Oct 12, 2009 5:15:32 PM PDT
This book is FINE by a nine year old

In reply to an earlier post on Nov 6, 2009 9:16:50 PM PST
Last edited by the author on Nov 6, 2009 9:17:25 PM PST
KMG says:
THANK YOU for your note! I was going to buy this for my 8 year old daughter for Christmas until I saw your review - she still 'believes' and I would have felt so badly if I was the one I ruined it!!! I think I'll wait a couple of years :)

Posted on Nov 9, 2009 4:44:12 PM PST
[Customers don't think this post adds to the discussion. Show post anyway. Show all unhelpful posts.]

In reply to an earlier post on Mar 16, 2010 7:42:58 AM PDT
EtudeAir says:
Don't judge KMG as overprotective. If the child believes in Santa, the parent deserves no criticism for presenting that book later on. Santa is a sweet part of childhood for many families. Children are CHILDREN, not mini-adults.

Posted on Mar 19, 2010 11:05:00 AM PDT
K says:
My son is 6 years old and in first grade. At this stage of the "reading game" I just want him to know how much fun reading can be and how many worlds it can open up for him. He has read the Junie B Jones, Captain Underpants, and Horrid Henry books, and enjoyed them all, but it was not until he picked up the first Diary of a Wimpy Kid that he actually sat engrossed in a book for hours at a time. So while it wouldn't necessarily be my choice as fine literature (and yes, I've read it, too!), I say if it gets my kid to love reading, I am all for it!

Posted on Mar 22, 2010 12:35:51 AM PDT
[Deleted by the author on Mar 22, 2010 12:44:26 AM PDT]

Posted on Apr 20, 2010 7:47:04 PM PDT
Bella says:
I just read the first book in the series with my 7 year old. He has enjoyed reading it but I'm not all that thrilled with the inappropriate language and respect issues in this book. I'm just wondering about what "MMF" means above Greg's head on p.214. I read the whole book.....have I missed something here??

Posted on May 2, 2010 5:35:18 PM PDT
L. Snyder says:
My 5 yr old just started reading this and so far, he loves it. He also just finished reading Superfudge which lets out the Santa secret, too...but he didn't say anything about it; I think he kind of already knew.

In reply to an earlier post on Mar 17, 2011 5:56:12 PM PDT
Last edited by the author on Mar 17, 2011 5:56:56 PM PDT
fence sitter says:
My son is a 7 yo class clown. I am very very grateful to these books. They literally ignited his interest in reading. He's reading them all for the second time now. Yeah. And, no, these are not the things he does before he gets sent home from school.

In reply to an earlier post on Apr 16, 2011 9:35:03 AM PDT
Last edited by the author on Apr 16, 2011 9:35:27 AM PDT
N. Walker says:
Bella, I don't think MMF is an acronym for anything, I think it is just the sound of him trying to keep his mouth shut and not tell them what happened to the cheese ("It took all my self-control to keep my mouth shut").

In reply to an earlier post on Apr 19, 2011 6:23:42 PM PDT
T. Jones says:
I have a child who recently turned seven and he started reading the series at six. We (mom and dad) watched the movies first and read some of his books before taking him to the movie. He loves this series of books so much, but we sat him down and explained to him that while some of the antics in this movie/book may be hilarious, it is not okay to replicate them in real life because, after all, it is just fiction. He knows that if he were to clown around in real life like in the books, he would be in some serious trouble. So we haven't had any trouble out of him, I don't see the harm in the books as long as you explain to your child that its fiction.

Posted on Apr 20, 2011 11:28:21 AM PDT
anthrogirl says:
My 6 year old read all five Wimpy Kid books in a week. I wish I'd have looked over book 5, I found my little guy on the floor with Book 5 and his It's Not The Stork Book trying to get a handle on the word puberty. Funny! but I freaked for a minute. Turns out he was worried about getting pimples. These books led to a reading frenzy: Nerds Series, Big Nate, Sideways Stories... etc. Love these books, total boy humor, and no my son wouldn't think of emulating the language or actions of the characters in the book, as stated above a simple explanation of fiction and nonfiction is all thats needed.

In reply to an earlier post on Mar 28, 2012 7:25:08 AM PDT
All 7 yr olds will love this because of the 'rude' words, however most will not understand the meaning of the book or the concept. don't know if you are from the usa or not, but being an english teacher in the uk i discourage my children from reading this series as it generates all kinds of wrong spellings etc.. sorry i can't be more positive but would not like to see under 10's reading this!!

Posted on Jun 6, 2013 7:11:01 PM PDT
My son has read all of them as they came out. If your child is easily influenced, i.e. believes what is in books and on TV as being real, you will need to have discussions about what real life is. For example, there's never any chores done and the big brother's rules for life are not ones you would want your kids living by (and mine tried). Plenty of taking off an doing what they feel like with no real consequences. Best thing is to read them yourself, too, so you can have discussions about the book of what's realistic and not realistic. Another great (and greatly gross and seriously funny) boy's series is Andy Griffith's "Butt" books (The Day My Butt Went Psycho is the first). Our only issue with that series was that day care's and school got miffed simply by the titles and he had to read them mostly at home.

In reply to an earlier post on Jan 12, 2014 6:32:42 PM PST
[Deleted by the author on Jan 12, 2014 6:41:57 PM PST]
‹ Previous 1 Next ›
[Add comment]
Add your own message to the discussion
To insert a product link use the format: [[ASIN:ASIN product-title]] (What's this?)
Prompts for sign-in

This discussion

Participants:  24
Total posts:  24
Initial post:  Jun 7, 2008
Latest post:  Jan 12, 2014

New! Receive e-mail when new posts are made.
Tracked by 5 customers

Search Customer Discussions
This discussion is about
Diary of a Wimpy Kid
Diary of a Wimpy Kid by Jeff Kinney (Paperback - 2008)
4.6 out of 5 stars   (1,182)