Your Garage Summer Reading Amazon Fashion Learn more Discover it Elizabeth Cook Fire TV Stick Sun Care Patriotic Picks Shop-by-Room Amazon Cash Back Offer AllOrNothingS1 AllOrNothingS1 AllOrNothingS1  Amazon Echo  Echo Dot  Amazon Tap  Echo Dot  Amazon Tap  Amazon Echo Introducing new colors All-New Kindle Oasis AutoRip in CDs & Vinyl Segway miniPro

on January 19, 2010
I actually purchased this drive in an effort to beat the encryption. I thought if the drive was stolen by somebody they could reset the drive and use a data recovery program to recover the data. I was wrong. When reset, the data remains forever encrypted and unaccessible (when you reset the drive, nothing is visible on the drive). Most crooks would be too stupid to think of this anyway. I had a large external hard drive hanging around on the floor near my computer, the kind that required a power chord. I realized that any crook who broke into my apartment would have easy access to my data if they stole my drive. So I put all that data onto this Padlock drive and placed the old hard drive [as backup] in my safe. Now I just leave this drive, which to a crook might just look like a Keyboard Keypad or calculator, lying around. If it gets stolen- I'm out the $100 I spent on it, but I don't have to worry about them accessing my data. Also, I can bring all my data to work now and access all my files all the time. Even though this thing is USB powered, there really isn't any noticeable difference in speed between that any my 7200 rpm external hard drive. I love how small and convenient this thing is. I would highly recommend it. Just make sure to have a good password.
99 comments|38 people found this helpful. Was this review helpful to you?YesNoReport abuse
on February 21, 2011
I bought this drive less than 10 months ago. So far the password has reset itself twice. Without any warning or provocation. The external drive worked fine when it worked. But if the password changes for whatever reason which mine just did for the second time, you're SOL. You have to reset the drive and reformat. Useless. Shutdown the computer last night, disconnected the working drive, plugged it in this morning, entered the password, doesn't recognize it anymore and hence cannot access the data.
77 comments|21 people found this helpful. Was this review helpful to you?YesNoReport abuse
on December 20, 2009
Received his item within 5 days. plugged it in and it immediately goes to work. Use it for backing up my entire computer HDD. Now I don;t have to back up on DVD's or CD's. Setting the keypad password is a bit awkward but not difficult. I am extremely happy I got this product. Thanks Apricorn for a fine product.
on April 18, 2011
Previously I have declined to permit the use of laptops in my practice because of confidential client data. This device is hardware encrypted. Only the operator can access the data. Problem solved. I recommend for those who want client data security.
on April 3, 2010
After talking to customer service about problem and figuring out I need to connect directly to the computer not extensions, it was working. Convenient storage!
on February 3, 2011
I purchased an Apricorn Aegis Padlock 500 GB USB 2.0 128-bit Encrypted Portable External Hard Drive A25-PL128-500 (Grey).

Generally, the support documentation for this product is weak. Another reviewer was correct: Neither the Quick Guide nor the Users' Manual (a pdf file that you find on the [...] website) tells you how to lock your Padlock when you are ready to lock it again - a glaring omission (you undock it from your desktop and then simply unplug the USB cable from your computer). I wanted to know what a blinking green light meant when the Padlock was docked to my Mac (nothing in the documentation tells you). So, there's room for improvement, documentation-wise.

Until I buy a replacement Mac (which will be soon), I have an older Mac with USB 1.0 - so, my Mac didn't have enough power to run the encryption software on the Padlock (although I could get some power to the Padlock, I didn't have enough power to unlock it). So, I used the enclosed Y-cable USB (plugging it into my two USB 1.0 ports on my MacBook) and that gave the Padlock the needed power to run the disk and the encryption software.

The speed was "okay" (it took about 9 minutes to move 6GB of data from my hard drive to the Padlock). But, I expected that given the USB 1.0 that I have. I expect it will be about 10x faster with USB 2.0 on my new MacBook.

For some of the questions I had that were not answered in the Users' Manual (principally, the power issue and a couple of other things), I talked with Apricorn's tech support and they were GREAT. Very knowledgeable and patient (I'm not a techie).

Like any device with a moving disk or other parts, I would NOT buy this as your SOLE point of storage. The disk (just like anything else) will eventually die and stop working (and if your data is all on your Padlock, you will lose it). So, I'm using my Padlock as a back up for my Mac's hard drive. In fact, I'm planning on buying a second Padlock (they're only about 125 bucks for 500GB) and I will routinely keep two complete copies of my MacBook drive on each Padlock.
on January 22, 2011
Won't work on my Vista 64-bit laptop but otherwise works brilliantly. I love this thing. It's fast, quiet, reliable, easy to program and use, secure, and comes with a nice carrying case and USB splitter for when it's not able to draw enough power from a single USB port.
on February 17, 2013
This encrypted portable hard drive device does everything it says and protects your personal and confidential information absolutely. It is very simple to use and gives you peace of mind.
on December 11, 2010
Light compact and speedy to either load to or obtain data from. I would recommend this drive to anyone who travels with a netbook or small laptop as an auxiliary drive.
on July 14, 2014
BEST protection out there! Easy to use and no need for software!
Now you can record things with that nice 10MP phone and put them here...

See 1 answered question