5.0 out of 5 stars Great Encrypted Hard Drive
Published on January 19, 2010 by J.C.

1.0 out of 5 stars Beware
Published on February 21, 2011 by J. D. Brown

5.0 out of 5 stars Great Encrypted Hard Drive, January 19, 2010
J.C. (Los Angeles, Ca United States) - See all my reviews
I actually purchased this drive in an effort to beat the encryption. I thought if the drive was stolen by somebody they could reset the drive and use a data recovery program to recover the data. I was wrong. When reset, the data remains forever encrypted and unaccessible (when you reset the drive, nothing is visible on the drive). Most crooks would be too stupid to think of this anyway. I had a large external hard drive hanging around on the floor near my computer, the kind that required a power chord. I realized that any crook who broke into my apartment would have easy access to my data if they stole my drive. So I put all that data onto this Padlock drive and placed the old hard drive [as backup] in my safe. Now I just leave this drive, which to a crook might just look like a Keyboard Keypad or calculator, lying around. If it gets stolen- I'm out the $100 I spent on it, but I don't have to worry about them accessing my data. Also, I can bring all my data to work now and access all my files all the time. Even though this thing is USB powered, there really isn't any noticeable difference in speed between that any my 7200 rpm external hard drive. I love how small and convenient this thing is. I would highly recommend it. Just make sure to have a good password.

4.0 out of 5 stars Patient Data Use, November 22, 2009
RGrantSmith (Wyndmoor, PA USA) - See all my reviews
Have tried in the past to utilize USB keys to transport confidential data with various encryption methods. The easier methods required admin rights on the host computers. The IT people at one of the hospitals have made the software impossible to use. The PADLOCK has bypassed this problem very well and with great improvement in read/write speed. Very easy to use and in a form which is convenient to carry. Nicely constructed. Would recommend for physicians where data confidentiality is imperative.

5.0 out of 5 stars checkout 500gig HDD with keypad from apricorn, December 20, 2009
Received his item within 5 days. plugged it in and it immediately goes to work. Use it for backing up my entire computer HDD. Now I don;t have to back up on DVD's or CD's. Setting the keypad password is a bit awkward but not difficult. I am extremely happy I got this product. Thanks Apricorn for a fine product.

4.0 out of 5 stars *Almost* perfect - a few comments prosective buyers should consider, May 28, 2010
This drive does work like it says: strong encryption (128 is enough), well-built, and fairly easy to use.

Here are the comments that buyers should consider: the drive does not include an owner's manual, which is weird because one exists--I found it online at the company website. It includes a single-sheet instruction for setting passwords. I had no problem doing this, but then became baffled when I was done using the drive and wanted to re-lock it. It seems nobody had bothered to demonstrate this...not the instruction sheet, not the youtube product videos, not even the manual. They go as far as showing you how to unlock and use the drive, but leave it to the user to figure out the rest. There isn't a "lock" button, for example. You have to eject the drive (using the clumsy "eject secure drive" function in Windows, or drag-and-eject in Mac), and then physically unplug the drive USB. when you re-plug it, it's locked (and my Mac responds to the drive every time with the "unrecognized hardware: initialize, eject, or ignore" popup). You could simply eject the drive and leave it physically plugged, too, but again--nobody tells you this. You have to figure it out for yourself.

The drive is moderately fast, but not blazing. It doesn't feel flimsy, and the buttons seem well-constructed (I was worried they'd be cheap and might make drive use clumsy, but they're not).

1.0 out of 5 stars Beware, February 21, 2011
I bought this drive less than 10 months ago. So far the password has reset itself twice. Without any warning or provocation. The external drive worked fine when it worked. But if the password changes for whatever reason which mine just did for the second time, you're SOL. You have to reset the drive and reformat. Useless. Shutdown the computer last night, disconnected the working drive, plugged it in this morning, entered the password, doesn't recognize it anymore and hence cannot access the data.

1.0 out of 5 stars One more thing to go wrong..., December 23, 2010
Steve (Murfreesboro, TN, United States) - See all my reviews
I bought one of these less than a year ago and suddenly it quit accepting my user password and the admin password. Same passwords that had been on the device since I first set it up. As a result I lost everything that had not been backed up. With the reliability of disks these days, I am not too conscientious about doing backups so that was quite a bit of data. Usually you have to worry about a disk going bad, but with the Padlock you also get to worry about the Padlock firmware malfunctioning too. Support could not help, and the only recourse was to reset and reformat it.
Bottom line: Be aware that all the data on the Padlock could become inaccessible at any time. I was able to reset it and it is usable again now, but I lost everything that was on it. I will never be able to trust it again.

1.0 out of 5 stars Good Concept - Drive crashed and all data lost, December 23, 2010
D. Gregg (San Diego, CA) - See all my reviews
I liked how the encryption worked on this drive. Because it was on a keypad there was no external software I had to work with, just plug in the drive, type in the password, and access the data. Very simple and straight forward.

Unfortunately the drive stopped working after only two weeks. I believe the drive itself failed because I could still enter the password but the drive would never be recognized by the computer I was working on. I tried it on three different computers before having the I.T. person at work look at it. He said the drive was dead and there was no (reasonable) way to recover the data.

Udate: I am now using a Satechi Lockdown case, which has a keypad like the Aegis, and it works great. You buy the case and then select your own (high quality) disk drive to install in it.

5.0 out of 5 stars Easy to use data security, February 11, 2010
I prefer the Apricon series of portable hard drives because they are lighter and smaller than the competition, and always work with USB power only. The Apricorn Padlock drive is a great addition to collection, because it provides very easy to use protection against someone stealing my data if the drive is lost while traveling. The built-in hardware encryption is a snap to use, and does not slow down data transfer, at least as far as I have been able to determine.

1.0 out of 5 stars Aegis Padlock 320GB External Hard Drive, April 8, 2010
I was impressed with this hard drive at first by after 3 weeks the access code wouldn't work because of a product malfunction. Contacted the manufacturer who admitted they have had this same problem in other units. Nothing can be done to access the data. Lost everything! They offered to replace it but I told them forget it, too late now I lost everything I had on it which was quite considerable. I would never buy another one.

5.0 out of 5 stars Best encrypted drive that I have found, February 9, 2011
Faster than the BlackArmor I used previously, and more easily portable, since it requires no driver or other software installation. I like the option to have a really long passcode (up to 16 digits), and the way it deals with the possibility of brute force attacks is well worked out. Reviews, here, that complain about the documentation seem odd to me; the drive comes with sufficient printed documentation to get it running, and there's a PDF saved on the disk that provides clear additional instructions.

You have the option to create multiple passwords for different users, so that if you later decide to remove one person (e.g. if an employee leaves a company), you can eliminate that one password while retaining the rest.

The soft case is nice (same as on Apricorn non-encrypted drives). The passcode-entry buttons feel robust, which is just as well, since you're screwed if you can't enter your code. I dropped my drive on the floor and it continued to work.

Price is right, and the device satisfies all my criteria. I bought two, so that I can keep them in separate locations in case of fire or theft.

No utility software is included (such as incremental backup software), but that's fine by me, as I'd rather do it my way.