4.0 out of 5 stars good on USB, but unreliable on eSata
I love the Apricorn padlock drive, I have two; one 'regular' 640 and one 'pro' 640.
Both perform with acceptable speeds for an encrypting device.

However, I have never gotten the eSata interface to work reliably. I would be interested to read comments to the contrary. Anyway, here is what I mean by 'unreliable':
* device is recognize just...
Published on February 19, 2011 by ziggurat29

I only have the device for about two weeks.
Although the device appears to be a bit slow, it does a decent job.
I have couple issues with it though.
1 - I have not been able to make it work on the eSata port. It is not recognized at all.
Published on October 15, 2010 by disgruntledclient

4.0 out of 5 stars good on USB, but unreliable on eSata, February 19, 2011
Both perform with acceptable speeds for an encrypting device.

* device is recognize just fine.
* device transfers files to-and-fro
* BUT, when I hash the file on the source and destination, they are different. This doesn't happen when using the USB interface. During this test, I transfer ~100GB files.
* this was done on a different machines, with different eSata interfaces, with the same results
* this was done with a different eSata external drive (actually a KingWin ezDock), with success

I can only conclude that the eSata capability is defective in some way. It would be nice because it transfers (albeit with errors) at about twice the speed of USB. But, at least the USB is reliable...

BTW, for those having trouble with getting the eSata to work at all, I use WinXP 32-bit, and I have to plug it in before booting up, with the auxilliary power cord, and have to shut the computer down before removal. I.e. not hot-swapable. Also, I enter my password during the bootup process before it gets to the OS loading. Maybe this helps someone.

Also, for those having trouble 'safely removing' (from USB), make sure that there are no locks on the drive, i.e. no open files or even directories (e.g. no explorer windows, or command prompts). Then you can safely remove. Well, you may have to try more than once to wait for caching to finish writing, but it will happen (this happens even on other drives/thumbdrives). If you don't have the 'safely remove' icon in your tray, you can use
%windir%\system32\rundll32.exe shell32.dll,Control_RunDLL hotplug.dll
to bring up a similar but more detailed UI for removing.

3.0 out of 5 stars pricorn Aegis Padlock Pro 640 GB USB 2.0 and eSATA 256-bit Encrypted Portable External Hard Drive A25-PLe256-640 (Black), October 15, 2010
I only have the device for about two weeks.
Although the device appears to be a bit slow, it does a decent job.
I have couple issues with it though.
2 - So far, I have NOT been able to eject it gracefully from Windows. Any time I try, I get device busy. I actually have to pull the plug (USB cable). This makes me uncomfortable since the data can be lost. And, when dealing with encrypted data things can get complicated.
3 - The device appears to be a bit slow. I can live with this as long as my data is protected and accessible.

1.0 out of 5 stars Beware of receiving the wrong drive, March 15, 2013
I ordered and paid for the eSata version of the Apricorn Aegis Padlock Pro (solid state) but received the USB version instead. I ran tests of the drive and the write speed was only 17 MB/S. The average rated speed (see the brochure) is 161 MB/s for the eSata version. After some correspondence with Amazon and the vendor, they realized I had the wrong device. I returned it and decided to read the reviews thoroughly. Based on the data integrity problems noted in one review when using the eSata interface, I'm concerned about ordering it again. I'd appreciate any feedback about the data integrity (positive or negative) from other users. By the way, one other user said he received data speeds of 10-12 MB/S for the eSata drive and thought that was good. You should expect an order of magnitude greater transfer speeds with the eSata solid state drive (as noted above, an average write speed of 161 MB/S). Also, the eSata connector is different than the USB connector. I didn't realize that but this is the first indication that you have the wrong drive. If it looks just like a USB connector and isn't labeled eSata, then you got the wrong drive too.

4.0 out of 5 stars Excellent performance, but limited life span in industrial environment, December 15, 2012
These drives work great. Using hardware encryption is soooo much better than goofy software. We have several of these drives that were made bootable for servicing PCs and we have no problem at all. They only seem to last around 18 months in our daily-use always-being-carried-around environment. That's just the cost of doing business for us. We keep buying them since they work so well. They should last longer for home use. DON'T BUY THE OTHER MODEL WITH INTEGRATED CABLE... Their other model has a USB cable built-in that can't be removed. We had a lot of problems with those not being recognized by some PCs at boot. Additionally, the cable is really short and you have to use a goofy extension cable.

5.0 out of 5 stars A very good external drive, November 1, 2010
We use encrypted, external backup drives for many years. The Aegis Padlock Pro is an outstanding drive, easy to use and reliable. Among the many Padlock drives we purchased we had a single one with a case issues. Apricorn has excellent customer service (you talk to a real person)and we got a replacement within two days.

5.0 out of 5 stars Easy, no non-compatable software to deal with, January 18, 2011
Kay "Kay" (Globe Trotter) - See all my reviews
Love it. Just like a thumb drive. No software, that doesn't work on some platforms or with certain versions. Just punch in the code and it works. One glitch I had. Some times I can't change or copy files if I'm not logged in as administrator. Got around it, by using my laptop in administrator log on, then changing the sharing rights, to share on network and give all users access. Didn't worry about the sharing. Only accessible when I unlock it and I don't leave it plugged in when not in use. This way I can use it at any work station. Good speed and Great size, especially with built in encryption.

3.0 out of 5 stars Great encrypted portable drive but fragile, April 19, 2011
Quothraven (United States) - See all my reviews
PRO: The Aegis Padlock Pro is a great device for storing large amounts of secure data. The keypad makes it easy to unlock the drive. My computer doesn't have an eSATA connection. However, the USB 2.0 transfers data at a reasonable speed. I moved over 150GB of files from another external drive to this one in only a few minutes.

CON: The drive worked great for a few weeks. Then I accidentally knocked it off the table where it was sitting next to my laptop. The drive never hit the floor because the USB cable caught it. However, it would no longer work. Aegis support offered to replace it. However, I had some very sensitive data on it and could not possibly send it back to them. So, I had to destroy it.

5.0 out of 5 stars Apricorn Aegis pro 640 gb usb eSata 256 bit hard drive, November 29, 2010
This unit does exactly what I want it to do and it does a very good job of doint it. Just read the instructions and you want have any trouble using it, works great and it's Encrypted so your files are safe from anyone looking at them. If you have stocks, bonds, jewelry, income taxes or investments that you want kept from prying eyes this is the best way of doing it.

Joe

3.0 out of 5 stars When they work, they work good..., October 26, 2013
Brian Longo (Castle Hayne, NC) - See all my reviews
I work with these drives on a pretty regular basis. We are only able to use encrypted drives with our business computers and this is the favored brand due to the hardware encryption. I have a 500 GB drive that I have been using for the last 2 years and it's beginning to drop off more frequently (e.g., it will randomly stop working). I don't use it all the time, but I do use it more often than not to backup my work laptop.

In the past 2 years I have used/set up over 50 of these drives and here's what I have found:

1) They are inconsistent. As one reviewer said, the eSATA port doesn't work, and I have seen that myself. Sometimes it's the eSATA port communication between devices, and sometimes it's the eSATA port on the drive. The USB always seems to work, though, but being forced to run USB 2.0 when the much faster eSATA option *should* be available is maddening.

2) They seem to become more troublesome as the size increases. My 500 GB drive has lasted quite some time and for the most part, those size drives seem to be the most reliable (I think I've seen 1 fail out of the 15 or so I have worked with). On the other hand, we also use the 1 TB drives and I have literally seen them fail out of the box. That has happened at least 5 times out of the 50+ drives I have worked with. I have had at least 10 drives fail within 6 months of deployment. Not a real good percentage.

For the options that are out there in hardware encrypted drives, the Aegis Padlock Pros are probably the best in terms of speed, but as I said, reliability becomes more suspect as you get into larger capacities. If you need larger capacities and portability isn't much of a concern, the desktop models that use 3 1/2" hard drives are far more reliable.

4.0 out of 5 stars it is secure, however the configuration procedures are not user friendly., March 30, 2013
I need a secure storage for my data and this is why I chose this Padlock Pro. The shipping was fast and satisfying. However the configuration steps are not user friendly. It took me like one hour to figure out the correct way to set it up.