I am the proud owner of all five seasons of ATHF on dvd and i've never been disappointed. This is not the place you'd want to start your collection, though. Start with volume 2 Aqua Teen Hunger Force Volume 2 or volume 3Aqua Teen Hunger Force - The First Three Volumes.

Volume 5 is for fans of the show only, though the Boost Mobile episode was an instant classic. The show took a bizzarre, edgy and weird-for-the-sake-of-weird turn. It's almost in the tradition of Modernist playwrights like Harold Pinter at times. The episode "Party All The Time" is more art than cartoon, and plays with your emotions more than you thought possible from a "stoner cartoon". This volume proves ATHF is smart, and loves to push the boundaries of TV and the concept of Cartoons in general.

Die hard fans will not be disappointed, but newbies should start elsewhere to learn the ropes.
on March 11, 2008
This is a great volume of a ridiculous series. These episodes are by and far the most offensive episodes to date. If you like the other Aqua Teen volumes, you will love this one.
on January 15, 2009
Here we are, here it is, the controversial season, Aqua Teen Hunger Force Volume 5 (it's actually Season 4).

The episodes and my favorite lines from them:

DISC ONE:
1. Dirtfoot: "It's got blondie. Lemme tell you, where she AIN'T A BLONDE!"
Master Shake, in yet another ridiculous attempt to get laid, traps himself down a well, which Frylock and Meatwad find to have an apartment down below, where they also meet Shake's roomate Dirtfoot, a legendary monster who 'comes to terms with himself' in this episode.

2. Boost Mobile: "(Meatwad crying after Frylock tells him he doesn't have hair)"
Shake becomes a Boost Mobile ad-plugger.

3. D***esode: "Tonight you will get your d*** ripped off...that doesn't sound right does it?"
Probably one of the most controversial episodes of all time, and also one of the ones that makes this set get all the venom it does (Joyce). Carl peels the bottom of his fast food cup off, and gets a...terrifying (at least to any male being on the face of the earth) "prize".
This episode has censored and uncensored visuals optional on the DVD, and if you hit uncensored, you will seee things you wish you'd never seen (do it, you'll see what I'm talking about). Also, the work "dick" is used 53 times.

4. Handbanana: "Tonight...you."
Another big controversial episode that makes this DVD set such a big deal (Joyce again). Frylock makes Meatwad a dog which Make-Your-Own-Dog 1.0, a dog in the shape of Shake's hand, named Handbanana, who is very interested in Carl (Again, you'll know what I'm talking about).

5. Party All the Time: "PARTY PARTY PARTY I LIKE TO PARTY"
Frylock finds he has melanoma on his face, and is diagnosed with cancer. This does end well, but in the meantime Andrew W.K makes an appearance.

6. Bart Oates: "It's 4:20 somewhere."
While Meatwad and Shake are arrested for DUI, Bart Oates appears to Carl in an effort to get him to change his ways (Bart Oates is voiced by himself).

7. Global Grilling "Is that, um...are those clouds on fire?"
Shake unwittingly buys a grill that puts a hole in the ozone. Also, mucus-men make an appearance (What?).

8. Grim Reaper Gutters: "My name is Dan, I won't leave until I make a sale."
The Aqua Teens reflect on their adventures with Tera Patrick.

9. Moonajuana: "I don't need that junk corruptin' my mind. I need all my energy for crack cocaine!"
In an attempt to burgle the neighborhood again, the Mooninites intoxicate Shake and Meatwad with 'moonajuana' (actually a burning tire).

DISC TWO:
10. Ezekiel: "Nobody beat chess dragon. Not even me. And I'M retarded."
Shake discovers he has a son (voiced by Patton Oswalt), but as expected, he becomes a proverbial 'sports dad'.

11. Antenna: "Tilt you head back, Carl!"
Carl signs a deal with aliens (Will Forte and Mike Judge), allowing them to plant a giant antenna over his house. Rob Lowe makes an appearance.

12. Carl Wash: "Hot dog...iglooo...hot dog...hot dog...igloo!"
Metwad gets a job at a car wash, run by two loating brains.

13. Star Studded Christmas Spectacular: Part 1: "At that mall, the security guard took me in the bathroom, and said 'This is how you don't touch people!'."
Shakle presents deleted scenes from his project (actually deleted scenes from the Aqua Teen movie).

14. Star Studded Christmas Spectacular: Part 2: "(Carl screaming when the broom is pulled out of him)"
Same as previous.

SPECIAL FEATURES:
*Favorite episode promos: Matt and Dave present episodes in a bizarre way
*ATHF responds to the critics: Funny
*I Like Your Booty But I'm Not Gay music video: The song from the film
*ATHF Movie premiere with Space Ghost: FUNNY
*Deleted scenes: obvious
*Learn to Shred Like the Master: Funny
*Tera Patrik Eats a Hot Dog: the recording session of Grim Reaper Gutters
*Granny Takes Her Top Off: Don't let the title scare you, it's just a recording session for 'Dirtfoot' with Dave Willis's grandmother
*Space Ghost Coast to Coast: "Chambraigne": New episode, funny
*ATHF Zombie Ninja Pro-Am Trailer: videogame trailer
*The Worst Game Ever: Don't do it unless you have a lot of time on your hands.

OVERALL: Great DVD. Forget you, Joyce, this DVD is excellent, and not nearly as an strongly inappropriate as people make it out to be. You get some stickers with the set. Subtitles. The inner art and art on the discs is funny. Disc one having a picture of an egg on it, and the second being blue-blank but having a picture of grass behind it for some reason.
Very great DVD. HIGHLY recommended.
on March 14, 2011
Not as strong as the previous 4 seasons, withe the ideas starting to run just a bit thin, this still has plenty of inspired lunacy for fans. The best of season 5's episodes include 'Dickesode'. 'Hand Banana', 'Party All the Time', and 'Antenna'.

The rest are mostly pretty good, and a few decidedly weak.

While this series has worn off a bit from when I was first enthralled by the sheer dada-esque insanity, the best episodes still transcend to amazing levels of bizarre, gross, surreal humor. When your starting premise is a giant talking shake, fries, and wad of meat living in New Jersey, how wrong can you go?
on February 8, 2008
I am seeing a lot of comments regarding the cancer episode, "Party all the Time." People say it is sick, isn't funny, and is insensitive. First off let me say I have just recently lost a friend of the family to cancer, so I am aware of how serious it is. But since the beginning of time, we have coped with the realities of the world with humor. Ever heard the term "Oh The Humanity!" which gets thrown around all the time? Well, people used to get burned alive, and that's what they screamed, and later it became something people would sarcastically say anytime something seemed crappy. Guess what? It doesn't make the suffering of real people any harsher. Joking about cancer doesn't make more people suffer from it, and in this case, it doesn't increase their suffering. Humor is our way of dealing with things, as humans. And frankly, the cancer episode is more or less a vehicle for great irony. Think about it. Frylock invents a time machine. Then he gets cancer. And what does Master Shake do? He says "Let's use the time machine to remove Frylock's cancer." ANybody with a brain would expect them to go back in time, but no, lol, it gets burned to try to "smoke the cancer out." Perfect irony.

In regards to the quality of the show this volume-- it is not as content rich as Season 4 was. But come on people, COME OOOOOOOOOOON. You can't blame the writers, who spent most the season creating a full length movie for the fans, for the fact that they had less ideas in Season 5. I am glad they dedicated their efforts to a movie-- which I also own-- and that I have that AND volume 5 to enjoy, not just one, or the other.

All in all, volumes 3 and 4 are the best. But season 5 is plenty good for any fan and when combined with the others and the movie there's plenty of material available until the next volume arrives.
on February 28, 2008
After being delayed by the production of the Aqua Teen movie, we finally get the fifth season of Aqua Teen on DVD. A lot has been written about this season. Some were disappointed with it, some were offended and some feel the series has jumped the proverbial shark. However, I loved this season, and feel it's very underrated.
It's not the best season, I feel that the best season of the show was Aqua Teen Hunger Force, Vol. 4. Season five takes some risks and most of them pay off, at least for me.

There are two controversial episodes in this set that really have divided fans and their opinions on the show. I think most fans of the show agree that the hand banana episode sank like a stone. I understand what the creators were trying to do, make a very unfunny subject like rape, funny, but it just doesn't work. On the other hand, the other controversial episode were Frylock is dying of cancer was very funny to me. I've had family members and a dear friend die of cancer, but I still thought this episode was funny. It's a surreal and an absurd episode that I think people are making too much about. If you don't think it's funny, read the banner the guys hang in the house welcoming Frylock home from the hospital. Plus, the use of Andrew WK (I Get Wet) performing a party song is more proof that this episode isn't meant to be taken seriously.
With that said, there are some undeniably great episodes in this season. "Global Grilling" is Aqua Teen at their best. Anyone who feels the show has lost a step since season 3 should see this episode, they'll reconsider those feelings. The "Dickesode" is much funnier now that it's uncensored. The scene where Meatwad re-enacts a tv commercial with puppets, since they don't have Tivo, is classic! Other great episodes include: "Dirtfoot", "Boost Mobile", "Carl Wash", "Grim Reaper Gutters" and "Ezekiel". The 2-part "Star Studded Christmas Spectacular" is also good, since it contains finished footage cut from the Aqua Teen movie, that is a million time better than anything seen in the movie! The rest of the episodes are pretty decent as well, with the only real duds being "Hand Banana" and "Bart Oates".

The DVD packaging is a nice digipak, like previous editions and they've included a sheet of Aqua Teen Hunger Force stickers with this set, which I thought was pretty creative. Extras include adult film star Tera Patrick recording her vocals for the "Grim Reaper Gutters" episode, deleted scenes (too short), "Learn to Shred Like the Master", "The Worst Game Ever" (loved it) and more.

Overall, not the greatest season of the series ever, but it's not the disaster some fans would have you believe. The show is still cutting edge, creative and most importantly... funny. With the never ending war and an economy that's going to go from bad to worse long before it gets better... a few laughs are in high demand these days. Pick this one up, and you get more than a few.
on February 2, 2008
I am utterly amazed at how many people are "disgusted" "disturbed" and outright bothered by this season's episodes. The comments all pretty much read the same. "I loved all their episodes till (insert last straw comment here)" Cancer and rape are two very real, very concern worthy issues of course, but like most of television the creators of ATHF simply took something serious and put a humorous spin on it.

Now I myself am a childhood cancer survivor but that has nothing to do with why I didn't find that particular episode funny. It just simply didn't do anything for me *shrugs* I wasn't outraged and shaking my fists in the air yelling "How dare they make fun of cancer!" like it seems quite a few people were.

The Handbanana episode however had me in tears I was laughing so hard. I've had several people close to me become victims of rape and I understand how devastating it can be. But come on people! It's a dog that's in the shape (and color) of Shake's hand! And to reference another reviewer here, the lines Carl and Handbanana deliver are hilarious and I quote them often just for my own amusement.

The Dickisode was another episode that had me clutching my sides as I laughed till I cried. Hey, some of us respond to that childish kind of humor. Once again I don't find it any more shocking or immature than any of their previous episodes.

I enjoyed, for the most part, all of Season 5. I think it was an excellent follow up to Season 4 which has 2 of my most favorite ATHF episodes to date (Gee Whiz & eDork). Of course now I'm wondering, how did many people deal with ATHF poking fun at the Standards & Practices with religion of our culture today?

To sum up, many people consider themselves objective until a subject they feel strongly about is made fun of. I hate to think how many people gave up on the show simply because the creators did what they do best, push the envelope.
Sorry, we failed to record your vote. Please try again
The fifth volume of Adult Swim's most popular original show Aqua Teen Hunger Force, is a pretty mixed bag when compared to previous volumes of the series. All kinds of things happen to Master Shake, Frylock, Meatwad, and Carl in this collection, including Shake moving in with a legendary New Jersey monster ("Dirtfoot") and Carl trying to avoid losing his manhood ("Dickesode"), along with many other horrible things that happen to him throughout the episodes collected here. While those two aforementioned episodes, along with "Boost Mobile", the outrageous "Hand Banana", and "Global Grilling" are great episodes to be sure, the set as a whole also features some moments that just aren't that funny. "Dickesode", "Moonajuana", and "Carl Wash" just come off as more annoying than anything else, and are devoid of any of the outright hilarity and insanity that made Aqua Teen Hunger Force so good in the first place. Not to mention, what has been mentioned so much here already, but seeing Frylock wither away and die of cancer well, it really isn't funny. While I admire Dave Willis and co. to go for broke with nothing sacred, seeing what happens to Frylock amongst all the usual Aqua Teen chaos is more disturbing than anything else. That aside, Volume 5 of Aqua Teen Hunger Force is worth picking up for die hard fans of the series, but more casual fans of the series may find themselves put off by what's found here.
on March 11, 2008
I got the impression over the course of season 5 that while they were gearing up for the release of their movie, the creators of ATHF were essentially just "phoning it in" ...which is something they did a bit too literally in the "Boost Mobile" episode. The jokes fell flat and everything was just annoyingly inconsistent. I'm glad to say the newest episodes have been a marked improvement, and that when Season 6 gets released on DVD, i'll buy that one instead.
on February 1, 2013
I decided to add volume 5 to my collection, I have 1-4 and unfortunately it doesnt live up to the others at all. Some of the episodes were just pointless with jokes that fell short or made absolutely no sense. I'm a huge fan of Aqua Teen but I wouldnt bother to buy this volume. Get 1-4 or 7 as I have yet to see any of the others.