4.0 out of 5 stars Good for girls
My 11 year old daughter and 3 of her friends thoroughly enjoyed this movie. It's just about right for their age group -- boy crushes, magical mermaids, wishes, giggles and mean girls.

Published on March 7, 2006 by T. L O'Keefe

1.0 out of 5 stars really, really bad.
I don't know what I was thinking when I rented this video. I have no children or grandchildren, and no exposure to prepubescent girls. I found this movie so bad, I didn't even make it to view it for a half hour, it was so annoying. If this film is characteristic of today's preteens then this country is in really bad shape. The dialogue was insipid, the acting terrible,...
Published 1 day ago by surly

4.0 out of 5 stars Good for girls, March 7, 2006
T. L O'Keefe (Altadena, CA USA) - See all my reviews

It's an updated teen version of Little Mermaid -- Aquamarine is looking for True Love to prove to her dad that it exists so that she doesn't have to marry some seadude that she's not in love with.

At the end of the story -- the true love that she finds is the love that the two girlfriends show to her.

My girls all gave it a thumbs up and you'll find yourself humming the song as you leave this light hearted romp.

4.0 out of 5 stars Wonderful Pre-Teen/Early Teen Flick, July 11, 2006
This review is from: Aquamarine (DVD)
Demographically speaking, "Aquamarine" has a clearly defined target audience. Young girls from the ages five through fifteen will think that this is the greatest movie ever. For the rest of us, meaning anyone over the age of fifteen, this is still a pretty cute film with likeable characters and decent acting.

The story goes like this: Two young friends are about to be worlds apart when one of them's mother gets a grant to work in Australia. They pray to the weather gods in typical silly sleepover fashion in hopes to remain together. Luckily, a mermaid washes up in the local public pool and agrees to grant them their wish if they can help her prove that love exists by getting the local lifeguard dreamboat to fall in love with her.

Sounds sort of silly, right? Well, it is, but not so silly that this flick is unwatchable. The three lead actresses, Emma Roberts, JoJo, and Sara Paxton, are all very likeable. Roberts and JoJo convincingly play best friends who are afraid of losing each other. JoJo can be accused of over-acting at times, but both she and Roberts do very well in the acting department. Arielle Kebbel plays the local mean/popular/spoiled girl that frequents films like this. Jake McDorman plays heartthrob Ray, the apple of the mermaid's eye. The real standout here, however, is Sara Paxton as the title character. She's a lovely young lady who can pull off goofiness with pure Cameron Diaz flair. Her character goes from snappy princess to giddy teenager with the flip of a switch.

The story moves at a decent pace, and the special effects are actually pretty good too. There are a couple of "girly" montages that include a trip to the mall and studying teen magazines that did sort of grate my elder nerves, but I survived through them and the film was worth it in the end. This whole film plays out with a sugary sweet charm that's expected of films of this nature.

Overall, I'd have to say that this flick is a safe bet for anyone who's hosting a sleepover party for their young daughter and her friends. Another decent flick for this demographic is the conveniently titled "Sleepover," which also features Sara Paxton, who plays the mean/popular/spoiled girl opposite "Spy Kids" alum, Alexa Vega.

Highly recommended to anyone who falls in or has family members in the five to fifteen demographic, or anyone who enjoys sweet and silly teen romances.

4.0 out of 5 stars Pleasant, amusing, uplifting., March 12, 2006
Aquamarine is a feel-good movie aimed at young teenage girls, but from a different demographic I still found it amusing, pleasant, and original enough to keep my interest. There's lots of young people, the beach, fireworks, the hit song "Island In The Sun," and a mermaid. If you're sick of winter in the midwest, it's a pleasant escape.

It's about two girlfriends, one of which is about to move away, who discover a mermaid washed into a swimming pool by the previous nights severe winds. The mermaid will grant them a wish if they help her find love - within a few days. Her father is forcing her to marry someone she doesn't love, because the Mermen (?) don't believe in love. She has just a few days to prove it exists, and she picks out the local life guard whom the two young protagonists also admire.

There's a bit of romance, a bit of humor, even a bit of suspense as the boy's previous girlfriend jealously interferes, and a few poignant moments as well. The romance is appropriate for kids; it's not one of the funniest movies out, but amusing enough for the whole family.

5.0 out of 5 stars A very Fun ... puts you in a good mood ... laugh out loud movie!, May 10, 2006
Brooke (Louisville, Ky) - See all my reviews
This review is from: Aquamarine (DVD)
What a wonderful treat it is to see this movie, "Aquamarine." My mother and I saw it together and we both loved it. The story is about two best friends ... it's summer and they're about to be seperated forever ... until one stormy night everything changes. A beautiful and fun loving mermaid is washed ashore or should I say washed ashore into their swimming pool. The girls find her and are amazed. Aquamarine (the mermaid) agrees to grant them one wish ... IF they help her find true love.

This is a great feel good movie ...everyone of all ages would enjoy this. I'm 18 and my mom is 38 and we both loved it the same. I recommend this movie to every mother/daughter :) Grab some candy worms and you're good to go ;)

4.0 out of 5 stars A Delightful Movie To Watch With Your Daughters, July 31, 2006
This review is from: Aquamarine (DVD)
As a pre-teen boy in the early 60s, I secretly watched The Brady Bunch and never told my friends. Later on, I was a closet devotee of Little House On The Prairie. I don't know how many other boys in my generation also snatched the guilty pleasures of syrupy pop (Bradys)and downright excellent TV with a positive message (Little House) - but from an early age I have always been a sucker for girl flicks.

What a joy to have two daughters of my own now (10 and 7), and to be able to do what I daresy few dads can - enjoy a movie like this with their girls.

It is mostly a wholesome picture, soiled only slightly by the proverbial modern butt and boob references, (but done appropriately for our times and the intended audience), that yes, the adolescent in me found funny.

I love the repartee between the two main characters, Hailey and Claire (not even sure I remembered their names right). But I have seen these two girls on TV and love their wisecracking.

The boy hunk of the movie, a lifeguard named Raymond, is the type of polite but athletic youngster that even a protective Dad would like.

Of course, it's no Gone With The Wind - but my daughters were mesmerized from front to finish, and, well, I couldn't keep my eyes off it either - even peeked in frequently when they watched it a second time.

Dads with daughters - buy it for your girls, and watch it with them!

4.0 out of 5 stars Cute and clever, March 5, 2006
I took my kids to see this last night and while they enjoyed it, especially my daughter, I have to admit that it was much better than most "family" films that have been coming down the pike lately. Let's face it, the filmmakers weren't out for a sweeping drama that would leave you awestruck, they intended to entertain a younger audience, while not lulling the parents to sleep. And this they accomplished.

It wasn't as good a movie as 8 Below to ME, but my kids liked it better.

And on a side note, the theater was packed with hundreds of 10-14 year-old girls who loved it as well.

4.0 out of 5 stars aquamarine, May 17, 2007

Rating: PG

Rating by me: 4 out of 5

Length: 1hour & 33 min.

Released date: march 3rd 2006

What do you do when you hear the word boo? Do you, scream, jump, or do nothing at all. What would you do if you saw a mermaid? Well in aquamarine, Claire and Hailey scream. They scream because they saw a mermaid and thought that they weren't real. I would scream to. For the same resin, though.

If you haven't seen aquamarine, you would really what to. This movie was a laugh out loud love movie. It was a so funny the way the mermaid tried to find love in three days. Most of the scenes, she was always doing something to make the audience laugh. The first day on land she went up to a guy and said "Do you love me". You can see she is determined to find love. As you can see she can make the audience laugh real easy.

You want to find love, but you can wait a few years, right. Well in aquamarines few, she has to find it fast. If you watch this movie, you may notice Claire as [Emma Roberts] from nickelodeons unfabaules, aquamarine as [Sara Paxton] and Hailey as [Jojo]. In this movie you could learn that love comes in different ways. Aquamarine learned that you cry when you're happy or sad. She also learned that love can come from friends to.

Overall, I thought this movie was a great movie. I loved that the mermaid only had three days to find love. Another line in the movie was "if you help a mermaid, you get a wish". Before the mermaid came, the girls were thinking of a plan to keep Hailey from moving. In the end of the movie they became good friends.

I recommend this movie to all girls. The age group for this movie would be 11-12. This movie is a pg movie by Susan Cartson &fox 2000 pictures. I don't think this movie would be liked by boys. Only because it is about romance and love.

Aquamarine has something to keep you watching. I would now know that seeing a mermaid would be coo. It may not be as scary. This movie is a great, funny movie with all the twist in it to. Well ask you're self what it would be like to see a mermaid.

5.0 out of 5 stars Aquaqmarine, June 11, 2007
A Kid's Review
Aquamarine

When Halie (Joanna Levesque- Jo-Jo), has to move and leave her best friend Claire (Emma Roberts) in Florida, for her mother's traveling job, everything is ruined. But one night when Claire and Halie have a sleepover, and pray to the gods of Hurricanes, and ask to do something to keep Halie in Florida, everything changes. That night there was a big storm and everything on the beach was a mess. So, when Claire and Halie go to check it out they see their love Raymond, they've always loved him. So, while the girls are in their own conversation, Claire notices something in the pool. She fell into the pool and was shocked at what she saw. So later that night the girls went down to the local pool to go check the water. And guess what they saw, a mermaid!! (Sara Paxton) Her name was Aquamarine. Aqua told the girls that the big storm was her father getting mad, because she believed that there was a such thing as love, but her father didn't, so she ran away from home to try and find love. So, the girls make a deal with Aqua. They decide that they will help her find true love to prove to her father. So Aqua say's that in return that she will get one wish. The girls were ecstatic; they would use their wish so Halie could stay in Florida. But, when the girls find out that her true love is Raymond they have to make a hard decision, but they end up helping her. While all of this is happening, they meet lots of challenges, and they are all revolved around Cecilia

(Ariel Kebble) the girl who wants to steal Raymond away from Aqua. Will the girls win Raymond or will it Backfire.

This movie is a movie that built suspense in me, and kept me laughing all night. I was stunned after watching this movie. I think that Sara Paxton did a great job pretending that she was a mermaid. I also think that every movie should be this worthwhile talking about, as Aquamarine is.

This movie is a comedy, love story, and, romance, so if you like those genres, then try watching this movie. But, hey, you boys out there, this isn't a chick-flick, so you can try this out to boys out there. But, if you just straight up love laughing then this movie is the ultimate movie for you. So try this movie, because you'll never regret it!!

5.0 out of 5 stars cute movie, June 24, 2014
This review is from: Aquamarine (Amazon Instant Video)
Really cute movie. My 9 yr old daughter loved it. Appropriate for her age, yet sophisticated enough for her budding "teenager" sensibilities.

5.0 out of 5 stars Granddaughter loves it!, April 29, 2014
John Short (Commerce, Ok.) - See all my reviews
This review is from: Aquamarine (Amazon Instant Video)
My grand daughter would give it 5 stars. She is 13 and it is her favorite movie. Good movie indeed.

Aquamarine [Blu-ray]
Aquamarine [Blu-ray] by Elizabeth Allen (Blu-ray - 2012)
$19.99 $8.99