Amazon.com: Customer Reviews: Aquamira Frontier Emergency Water Filtration and Straw
Your Garage botysf16 Amazon Fashion Learn more nav_sap_plcc_ascpsc Eli Paperboy Fire TV Stick Sun Care Patriotic Picks Shop-by-Room Amazon Cash Back Offer WienerDog WienerDog WienerDog  Amazon Echo  Echo Dot  Amazon Tap  Echo Dot  Amazon Tap  Amazon Echo Introducing new colors All-New Kindle Oasis AutoRip in CDs & Vinyl Segway miniPro

Color: 877267000056|Change

on July 26, 2011
I just got back from hiking Zion Narrows top down, (16 absolutely grueling miles over 2 days). I bought one for all 7 of us on the trip and all worked flawlessly. When we began the hike, the outfitter who dropped us at the top said not to filter the water from the first 5 miles until the second creek came in. None of us had any water, so used our filter straws the entire time. No failures, 3 days after the trip everyone is doing fine, except for the knees and ankles! This item is a must have!
on February 6, 2009
I saw this item in an online example for a survival kit. My sons are scouts and needed to put together a wilderness survival kit. These are absolutely perfect. When the other parents saw these, they asked me to order for them. I feel really comfortable knowing that these are easy and ready to use at the last minute.
on August 12, 2012
This filter is amazing. it is so light and easy to use, just simply put the 2 pieces together and wah-lah! A great way to prevent dirty water from getting you sick! I suggest putting a small cloth over the top of the filter so that large sticks and grass wont get in. I love this item. :) Although, my straw was not a bendy straw, just a straight plastic tube, i was slightly disappointed but i still suggest getting it.
review image
on September 8, 2010
Works well to filter out the dirt or little thingys in the water. I live in a place where the water is fresh and clean, most of the year anyway (rain forest in Alaska). I drink the water in moving streams and rivers but the risk of getting sick still exists. this water filter wont prevent you from getting viruses in third world countries but it's also better than nothing.
There are other simple ways of purifying the water, like using a clear drinking bladder or bottle after it has been in the sun for a while. the problem is that you need to filter out the solids, this little product works well for that. The carbon filter also makes the water taste better, especially if you use chemicals to treat your water first.

I have read that this DOES NOT filter small enough particles.
The package says "removes 99.9% of Giardia" but the first description on the page says 99.999, it may not sound like a big deal but according to experts it is.
Apparently you need to remove more than 99.9%. According to the CDC, the package needs to say "Absolute pore size of 1 micron or smaller (with or without NSF 53 or NSF 58 labeling)"
On the other hand, many mountain streams appear to be cleaner than they would have you believe. (rei has some data published on this)
I have since found something similar, that filters to 99.9999 Which is better. (less than 1 micron for the largest pore size)
on February 11, 2010
This "straw" only filters down to 3.0 microns.
This will NOT filter out viruses.
Minimum you should get is 1.0 micron rating or below as it will inhibit Cryptosporidium and Guardia (the cysts are larger than this in size).
Even this is not really effective enough as most viruses cannot be inhibited by a filter with a micron rating of more than 0.01-0.03 microns.
Do your homework before you buy any survival product!
2828 comments|189 people found this helpful. Was this review helpful to you?YesNoReport abuse
on June 10, 2011
Ordered one of these for my emergency/disaster kit. Smaller and lighter than I expected, even after reading the reviews. Excited to have it and hoping I never have to use it. I read on the back of the package that maximum protection is achieved by using it with the Aquamira water treatment drops or purification tablets so I'll probably pick up some of those to be safe. It looks like you can either use the straw to drink directly from a water source or, if you're creative, you could use a funnel or plastic bag and some rubber bands to filter water though it into a storage container. 20 gallons is a huge amount for such a tiny unit! You could probably use the survivalist trick of using coffee filters to pre-filter the water to extend the life by a few gallons, too. Very pleased with my purchase.
on March 11, 2012
This is the forth one I have owned. It is convenient, light and I know it works. It can be used in a stress situation as there are only 2 things to do, attach the straw and drink. Don't forget to rinse it the first time as there is a LOT of charcoal dust in the filter initially, but after that it is ready to roll. It doesnt last forever, but it never claimed too. It says that it is good for 20 gallons. That is as far as I will go with it and then get another one. No sense getting sick when prevention is less then $20. I like it.
on May 11, 2011
I got these for backup when I go backpacking and I suppose that they will work OK but... The plastic straw that it comes with is very cheap and flimsy. One was split right out of the package and another split when attached to the filter. I wanted to test them before I really needed them, and I am glad that I did. I suppose that they will work as backup, as long as you replace the straw with a better one, or have an alternative backup filtration.

If you have these as part of an emergency preparedness kit, or are thinking about getting them: don't. Go get yourself several cases of bottled water for the same price, and just rotate your stock.
on December 7, 2012
I haven't used this yet but I needed one for my B.O.B. and for use on a Pacific voyage when I may need it on a desert island in the middle of the ocean (I'll update later). HOWEVER, I looked on my bank statement and found an extra $5.00 charge related to this purchase from 2CO.COM, a service that is apparently connected to Amazon...gee,thanks AMAZON!
on August 16, 2012
I'm very upset with this product. It arrived with bent and broken ends on the straw. Not to mention, the straw is more like a tube. Not expandable like the picture. I really like the concept of this water filter and I'm sure it works well under the right circumstances. But, mistakes like this are unacceptable. Returning this junk!