4.0 out of 5 stars Good Product
Published on March 23, 2009 by Lyra B. Hewitt

Published on May 29, 2007 by Tryzub

1.0 out of 5 stars Leaked on first use, drowned my camera, Aquapac Covered My Loss! YAY!, May 29, 2007
The Aquapac SLR case leaked on my first use snorkeling in Hawaii. I did the static underwater test as described in the manual before proceeding. The case does not leak if you hold it steady, or static, under water in the sink. The problem is the case failed when I took it out to the real ocean where there are waves and while swimming with it. I never had the camera more than two feet underwater. Aquapac states it is good to 15 feet.
I returned it to Aquapac and they initially refused to honor their warranty. The case and my camera were sent to England. Once it got to England I received a welcome email stating that not only would they pay for my case but Aquapac would pay for my camera.
I have received a check from Aqauapac for both the case and camera. Their warranty states that they are not responsible for the camera, however, they paid for it anyway. After initial trouble, Aquapac stood behind their product. Next time I would put a can of coke in the case and go snorkeling before putting a camera in for a real life test.

4.0 out of 5 stars Good Product, March 23, 2009
This review is from: Aquapac Waterproof SLR Camera Case with Hard Lens (Aqua-455) (Electronics)
I've had this DSLR case for 3 years or so now. I use it everytime I go down the river and to the beach. It does tend to distort the edges of pictures and takes some of the crispness away from it as well but it's still miles away from using a disposable waterproof camera or any other waterproof on the market for that matter. You are unable to mainpulate the lense very well butit can be done and it's pretty easy, if you know your camera to use all of the other controls. I do not totally submerge mine b/c I'm just to wary of it leaking and ruining something that I'm not prepated to replace at the moment but I have left it in a puddle of water at the bottom of my kayak and it was just fine. I've also taken it out into the ocean a lot of times and just kind of hold it up when a wave comes but that's just me. I just want the shot that I could get otherwise. If I was going to actually dive I use my Fuji F40 with the diving case which isn't quite as nice but does a great job for total submerssion and it's my backup camera any other time as well. This is a good product that you can rely on and I have...several times.

5.0 out of 5 stars Very good investment, July 5, 2007
I thought I was going to invent these!

I just moved to the coast with my wife and daughter, and I try to never miss a photo oppertunity with my family. I was a bit wary, though, of taking my camera to the beach. If you don't drop it in the water, you still got to worry about saltwater residue on your hands, sand being blown around, or someone knocking onto the ground or kicking sand on it, even if it's in the case, it's pretty dangerous.

I looked around for waterproof cases. One, their highly expensive, and two, they didn't have one that was compatible with my camera. That's when I thought of taking a waterproof bag, cutting a round hole in it, then using waterproof glue to affix a lens of some sort to it. Two weeks into resaerching it, I found this. I can even take this underwater if I wanted to (up to 15 ft)!

It's easy to use, and has enough room for my Canon S3 IS and telescopic lens. Air trapped inside the bag with the camera keeps it floatable if you wanted to take it abord a boat. I was a little wary about the lens window, but it takes geat pictures with no noticable distortion.

This waterproof bag is a great investment for your camera!

5.0 out of 5 stars Quality, August 4, 2010
This is a high quality product. All parts appear sturdy and well made. The only downside is it adds a little extra buoyancy if you're not careful about getting the air out. I also purchased a smaller case for a point and shoot camera from the same maker. It also works great. I was so happy with the quality of their products I just bought another case for my Kindle DX to use at the beach and in the tub. This is a great company with excellent products and customer service.

4.0 out of 5 stars It works!, December 1, 2010
mandmsolis (Vienna, VA United States) - See all my reviews
I purchased the Aquapac DSLR case this summer to use for a trip to the Philippines this winter. We will be spending some time snorkeling, and I wanted to make sure I got some good photos since I had no idea if we'd be able to do this again.

I've spent some time "testing" it out in our local pool and so far, I have not had to send my camera to Aquapac for repair or replacement. :) I've been using the case for a Sony H7, but hope to gain enough courage to put my Sony A550 in there and submerge it in the water. So far, the pictures and videos have been pretty good. I do have to spend some time aligning the lens cover over the actual lens to reduce any chance of distortion. I just put the camera on automatic and hope the photos come out. The video clips are pretty cool...and the photos have potential - I just have to work harder at aiming and capturing the moment. It is kind of challenging to see the live view, so half the time I'm not sure what I'm shooting :)

No water has gotten through the plastic and after taking it in the pool a handful of times, I feel pretty confident that it should do well with my dslr.

While I am pretty happy with the Aquapac, I kind of wish I had went with a smaller point and shoot waterproof camera only because it would have been easier to just throw it in my pocket and take out on the water or snowboarding/skiing. But at the same time, I read reviews that the little point and shoot waterproof cameras don't perform very well in low light. Hopefully I made the right decision!

1.0 out of 5 stars Leak after first use., January 14, 2008
It starts to leak after first use in ocean. Ruin my camera. Aquapac says that nothing wrong and offer replacement. But I'll never use it again.

1.0 out of 5 stars Don't buy unless you plan to shoot in soccer mom mode, October 23, 2011
I bought this Aquapac to protect my Canon 5D Mark II from splashing or a potential rollover on a 12-mile long canoeing trip. I figured it would be a great safeguard and monetarily, far cheaper than underwater cases which start at $1,500 and up.

With a 24-70 lens attached, the lens and camera fit snugly in the bag and you can seal it to prevent water from getting in. It will not fit a 70-200 lens.

The problem is, with the bag on the camera, it is nearly impossible to focus and it is utterly impossible to manually adjust any settings on the camera. I could not adjust my white balance, my ISO, my shutter speed, my aperture, nothing. It was SUPER frustrating to say the least. The bag did not work like I expected based on other user reviews. The bag is thick to prevent the camera from getting wet, so it is very difficult to adjust any camera controls when the camera is in the bag.

Buy it if you plan to shoot in "soccer mom" mode on fully automatic, or keep it sealed while not in use to prevent water leakage. Otherwise, pass.

I even tried, just as a precautionary measure, to keep the bag on my camera, open it, put my hands in and adjust the controls that way, so that at least I could prevent water splash on my camera while shooting along the river. The bag is far too tight to get your hands in there either.

Unless you plan to shoot in fully automatic mode, I'd pass on this product. For me, it was not worth the $100 investment. Better to get a dry bag for $10 and store your camera in there while not shooting.