5.0 out of 5 stars Heals dry hands - Nurses perspective
Published on November 18, 2008 by Geekdomo

1.0 out of 5 stars Basically an expensive jar of vaseline and mineral oil.
This is mostly petrolatum and mineral oil. Searching the internet you find that petroleum products are not that good for you.
Alternatives to petrolatum in cosmetics and ointments are more expensive and trickier to formulate. Right now, petrolatum is cheap and plentiful.
Published 15 months ago by Golda Wunrow

5.0 out of 5 stars Heals dry hands - Nurses perspective, November 18, 2008
As a nurse I wash my hands several hundred times a day it seems. Even with the hospitals using moisturizing soaps my skin gets very dry. I bought this little jug and take it to work with me. It is amazing how well it can moisturize my VERY dry hands. In the winter I get cracks on the outside of my palms, without fail every year. I take this cream and let it sit on the crack for as long as I can. By the next day or so the crack has healed enough to be more manageable.

Several patients have this cream prescribed to them by their doctors its so good.

I highly recommend this cream to everyone that suffers from dry, cracked skin!

Thank you for reading my review.

UPDATE July 2013:
So I write this review in 2008. No other reviews for 3 months then a few throughout the years then this spring there are suddenly over 150 new ones and my review gets not helpful over 20 times in 2 weeks. Seems fishy if you ask me. Thanks a lot fellow "reviewers"

5.0 out of 5 stars Goes on a little greasy but works like a charm!, February 14, 2009
I purchased this ointment based on a recommendation by my son's pediatrician. My son suffers from severe eczema and nothing we were using on him was helping. We have to be very careful with what we use on his skin because anything can make his condition flare up. The pediatrician recommended we use the Aquaphor ointment on him at least two times a day, and especially after his bath. She also said it is important to apply it within minutes after patting him dry from his bath before the skin has a chance to 'dry out'.

This is the only product that has helped his skin condition. If we use it on him twice a day his eczema is nearly non-existent. It has worked so well on him that I started using it after I shower and it has made a tremendous difference in my skin. I don't have eczema but in the winter I end up with severe dry skin and this is the only moisturizer that made a difference.

The only downside to this ointment is that it goes on greasy and can take a few minutes for the greasiness to soak in. I prefer not to put on any good clothes right away in case some of the grease transfers to my clothes before it soaks into my skin. If there is a greasy spot or two on the clothing then using powder on the spots helps to get it out (let the powder sit on the greasy spot for a few minutes or more so it soaks up the oils, then brush the powder away). Even though it goes on greasy I decided to give it 5 stars because it is an 'ointment' rather than a 'moisturizer,' and it does what it is supposed to better than any other product we have tried.

5.0 out of 5 stars Wasted $100's then finally found this..but keep 1 thing in mind!, September 25, 2013
This review is from: Aquaphor Baby Healing Ointment Diaper Rash and Dry Skin Protectant, 14 oz Jar (Health and Beauty)
I have been using and carrying around this product with me for years. It's safe, gentle, and dermatologist recommended. I've used it on my infant daughter's diaper rash when anything containing Zinc Oxide made her bottom bleed (she's allergic to that), and it cleared up overnight. She's 2 now, and we both still use it. I apply a small amount to my dry, bleeding and cracked cuticles at night, and they're smooth in the morning. It's also a great remedy for dry, cracked lips. I always keep a tube on me. It's expensive, but the 1.75 ounce tube lasts a very long time, and goes a really long way. I stick to what I like, and this product absolutely never disappoints!
There is one mistake I made recently I thought I'd share. I was at a Walgreens looking to purchase more, and chose the store brand over the Eucerin Brand. Big mistake!!

The store brand product immediately liquefied in a sort of filmy, slimy liquified version of something that's meant to soothe and coat your lips with moisture. Upon further research I found a few interesting facts...

First, both products do contain the key ingredient of Petroleum (41%). However, the Aquaphor brand contains other Inactive Ingredients listed as: Mineral Oil, Ceresin, Lanolin Alcohol, Panthenol, Glycerin and Bisabolol. The "Store Brand" lacks the last three I've listed in the Aquaphor Brand. The difference is quite shocking. Could this be why the store brand is such poor quality as compared to the Eucerin brand? I don't know, but I'll never buy store brand for this product again.

Be sure to check labels before you buy store brand to make sure it really is similar to the name brand, otherwise you might find that you've saved a $1 on something that turns out to be a waste of money.

5.0 out of 5 stars Best Diaper Rash Treatment there is!, June 11, 2014
We have tubs of Aquaphor in every nook and cranny of our house. It's our go-to ointment not only for diaper changes but for chapped lips and hands, rough and dry heels, scratches and scrapes, you name it. It's more effective than straight petroleum jelly and really is just a wonder cream. We don't use anything else.

4.0 out of 5 stars Love Aquaphor!, November 25, 2013
Aquaphor is great. I use it for everything. Buy the Baby -- it's less expensive than the regular and just as effective.

5.0 out of 5 stars Lifesaver for Rash on Baby's Face, July 25, 2011
At about 2 months of age my baby came down with a horrible acne-like rash on his face. I left it alone at first, since that is what I thought you do for a young baby per a variety of sources of advice. Well, my baby started scratching his face and it wasn't healing well...and it looked so DRY around his lips. I decided I must do something. After a few days of washing his face SEVERAL TIMES A DAY and then immediately applying either Aquaphor or a layer of pure lanolin, his skin improved a thousand times over! The pure lanolin actually worked a bit better when his skin was in this really dry state, but it is VERY sticky/goopy, not pleasant to put on at all. But when put on him after his nightly bath, he'd wake up with MUCH softer healthier skin in the morning. Eventually I switched to using only the Aquaphor and not Lanolin because I like the smoother consistency and it is less expensive...and it works just fine. After a week or two I was down to putting Aquaphor on his face only once each night after his bath, and the result is perfectly normal smooth skin. I started to wonder if maybe he just outgrew the condition (which his doctor called Seborrhea) but one night a week or so ago he missed his bath (and Aquaphor) due to falling asleep for the night early, unexpectedly. By the next evening, he was getting some bumps/rash on one side of his face again. So, now I can say with certainly it's the Aquaphor that is keeping his skin in such great condition. Highly recommend and wish I'd bought it for older son when he was a baby as well, but was skeptical of the glowing reviews at that time and he never had a rash as bad as my youngest son. Worth a try on any area of very dry skin...but again for most severe conditions might want to try pure Lanolin. Oh, and using plain Vasoline did NOT work as well and does not have as pleasing and smooth of a consistency, this is a better way to go by far. Never want to be without this now, the reviews are accurate on this one!
Oh, be warned though...Aquaphor is not going to help certain types of rash. Turns out my baby had a fungal rash of bumps on his chest which required prescription cream or OTC antifungal, Aquaphor would only make something like that worse. He also gets redness in the creases of his neck/under arms which also requires an antifungal cream or the use of baby powder (if using baby powder, can't apply at same time as Aquaphor will cause the powder to stick in small hard clumps, not comfortable for baby!).
Hope this helps...I have 3 sons and the first two had no skin problems whereas my littlest one has very complicated skin...I have had to treat different areas of his skin with different products, but it's worth it to me to keep him comfortable -and I am happy to say he now has perfectly normal soft skin.

5.0 out of 5 stars After trying other brands, I like this best for diaper rash, June 16, 2014
I have tried two other major-brand diaper rash creams, and this one seems the most gentle. The first one I tried was butt paste, and made baby scream, and the second one smelled terrible. This has a very light scent, and they aren't kidding when they say it clears up diaper rash in six hours. My baby didn't have terrible rash because we caught it quickly, but now he gets a preventative swipe with this each night and so far, so good! Will stick with this for baby bottoms.

5.0 out of 5 stars Excellent Product, April 13, 2011
I have very dry skin and eczema. Unfortunately, my 1 year old daugther is taking on my skin type. She developed dry patches on her limbs and stomach. I saw the reviews of this product on Amazon and decided to give it a try. It is a wonderful product, within several days, my daughter's dry patches were gone. I tried many lotions on my skin before I go to bed to get rid of the itchness, by mid-night, my skin will itch again. Now me and my daughter are using it every night to keep our skin from drying up. No more reapplying lotion at mid-night and my skin stays soft through out the day.

5.0 out of 5 stars Best thing out there for diaper rash, November 16, 2013
Clears up diaper rash fast. I found it much cleaner and easier to use then Desitin or the other creams out there. And works for dry skin and so may other things.

5.0 out of 5 stars Not just for a babies' bottoms! Great for healing tattoos!, November 11, 2013
Great product for tattoos! This product works very well on a healing tattoo. It lasts all day and speeds up the healing process!