5.0 out of 5 stars My Dream Come True
Published on November 3, 1999 by mouseeneer

1.0 out of 5 stars DON'T BUY THIS ITEM - LISTEN TO THE REVIEWS!
Published on September 16, 2002 by pescalito

5.0 out of 5 stars My Dream Come True, November 3, 1999
This review is from: Aquaria (DVD)
This DVD is a dream come true for me. Ever since the introduction of the DVD medium, I have been wishing that someone should release a DVD with colorful fishes of all kind swimming back and forth just like a real aquarium. I had an aquarium years ago and it was a time-consuming hobby. The time to change the water and clean the aquarium were too messy and too expansive. After half year, I discontinued the hobby but until now still missed watching those beautiful fishes.
Finally, this is the DVD I have been wishing for in the past two years. It allows continuous play on your monitor or TV with two choices of viewing options (close-up or full view of the aquarium) and four choices of background sound (two music tracks, one sea surf sound, and one bubbling water sound.) My prefer choices are the close-up view (the fishes are larger) and the bubbling water sound (more natural sounding). You can program the aquarium to play continuously and effortlessly with this DVD.
The video quality on this DVD is top notch and crystal clear in the close-up view ( * * * * *.) The fishes are a bit small in the full view (* * *.) I whole-heartedly recommend this DVD to all aquarium watchers and lovers that don't want the mess of changing and cleaning water. The water in this DVD remains crystal clear and clean forever. One last benefit of this DVD: the price is hard to beat considering all the time saved and trouble-free enjoyment of a realistic aquarium right on your monitor!

5.0 out of 5 stars My new fish tank....., August 29, 2002
Ralph Goodson (Whiteleaf, United Kingdom) - See all my reviews
Earlier this year I saved my pennies and bought a 50" plasma screen. It's great for home cinema but when I'm entertaining guests and not watching the screen, it's a large black hole on the wall of my living room, until now that is.
This DVD is the perfect solution. Instead of being faced with a boring featureless black void, my guests can now gaze at my fabulous collection of marine fish. The bonus is, I never have to clean the tank or feed the fish! I bought the Coral Tank version but I assume they are all variations on a theme and would perform more or less the same function.
I Take on board what other viewers have said about the size of the fish on a smaller screen, but on the plasma screen, the proportions are perfect and I think, very realistic.
The DVD also has some extra features for your PC including a fishy screen-saver, which gives a slideshow of each of the inhabitants of the tank. It also has printable high-quality photos in PDF format and a copy of Acrobat Viewer if you do not already have it.
I love it and I intend to buy the other versions!

1.0 out of 5 stars DON'T BUY THIS ITEM - LISTEN TO THE REVIEWS!, September 16, 2002
Beleive me, I'm being generous giving them a whole star - if I could figuire out how to give them less than that I would! I should have listened to the other disatisfied customers. The video quality is terrible (no- it's not my Sony Wega 27" TV). It just looked liked someone went to the local Marine Aquarium, paid their [$$$] entrance fee and set a tripod in front of the tank. The lighting is terrible, the music is [poor]. Do I sound upset? You bet I am! I wish I had been smart enough to rent a camcoder and call myself a movie maker! I am willing to venture all the other Aquaria volumes in this series are equally as [poor]. Why else would the price fall from close to [$$$] to under [$$$] in only about a year?
My advice, save your money and just buy a real fishtank!

5.0 out of 5 stars Misleading, April 14, 2000
By A Customer
This review is from: Aquaria (DVD)
The DVD says this can be viewed in 3 different formats; 16:9, 4:3, and Widescreen. Not so. The only view offered is widescreen.
It also says it's 15 hours long. Wrong! 5 different tanks, each last 1 hour in full view, and about 15 minutes in close up view. So in full view the DVD is about 5 hours long; in close up about 1 hour 15 minutes. If you use the "repeat" function it could be 15 hours long.
The picture quality is very good in close up view but only fair in full tank view. For each tank, they provide a "Fishography" which describes every fish in that tank.

2.0 out of 5 stars Great idea but disappointing, I'm afraid, March 20, 2006
This review is from: Aquaria - The Complete Aquarium DVD Collection (DVD)
I had great expectations of this dvd as I have come to the conclusion that I won't be able to have my own salt water aquarium in the foreseeable future. I was disappointed with it, I'm afraid to have to say. Perhaps I have been spoiled by my local salt water aquaria "petshop" which has a very nice 1800 liter salt water aquaium with many live corals, anemones and tropical fish species. Now these dvds came out in 1999 and since the WMVHD "Coral Reef Adventure" came out, this dvd just cannot compete and doesn't have any of the color quality, focus, or detail that one could hope for. The better of the various aquaria in my opinion is the "The Classic Aquarium" and "The Fresh Water Aquarium" so I would recommend just ordering the single dvd instead of the "The Complete Aquarium DVD Collection" if you absolutely need one to tide you over until when they start producing HD aquaria dvds. I found both "The Natural Aquarium" and "The Coral Reef Aquarium" very disappointing with not-so-clear water, poor focus, unnatural colors, disappointing detail, and not very many different fish to look at. I do like the idea of a loopable aquarium dvd and with the dawning of HD dvd, it shouldn't be all that difficult to produce a new and better series. And I am sure there are many more beautiful aquaria to film - with more "depth" and content to them - than the ones used for this series.

5.0 out of 5 stars My new fish tank......, August 29, 2002
Ralph Goodson (Whiteleaf, United Kingdom) - See all my reviews
I love it and I intend to buy the other versions!

3.0 out of 5 stars (just) acceptable, July 23, 2004
reviewer (Holland, Europe) - See all my reviews
the grades I give for the 5 aquarium types are:

Classic: close-up 4 stars, wide 3 stars; Freshwater: close-up 3-4 stars, wide 2-3 stars; Coral Reef: close-up 4 stars, wide 2 stars; Natural: close-up 2-3 stars, wide 1-2 stars; Exotic: close-up 2-3 stars, wide 0-1 star

The playing time (of each aquarium) of close-ups is 7-8 minutes (should've been longer). The wide shots playing time is 25-27 minutes on cd 1 (classic, coral reef, natural) and 40 minutes on cd 2 (exotic, freshwater).

The classic and freshwater aquaria are nice enough to look at in the wide shots, also because of the background but the other aquaria aren't really examples of fine composition in that area.

Background music/noise choices: not too bad.

A third cd, more time for the close-ups and more attention for aquarium composition would've made this collection (a lot) better !

1.0 out of 5 stars Bad Quality, Very Disappointing, April 27, 2003
By A Customer
I could have done better with my home camcorder. I was hoping this would show off my new HDTV, but delivers a VCR quality picture. Highly recommend you look elsewhere.

1.0 out of 5 stars AQUARIA IS AWFUL. SAVE YOUR MONEY!!!, September 27, 2004
Jeff B. Scholz (La Jolla, CA United States) - See all my reviews
This review is from: Aquaria - The Complete Aquarium DVD Collection (DVD)
I just received and watched 'Aquaria' and am astounded that these people see fit to charge money for this trash!!! I recently had a high-end 50" plasma / surround sound system installed and I thought Aquaria would be something like the impressive aquatic computer generated screen savers available today. What did I get? Some lousey, low-end video (no, not even filmed) of murkey fishtanks. Total ripoff!!! You'll have more fun watching wet towels dry. I would have given it no stars had it been an option!

1.0 out of 5 stars Appaling display of Coral and Fish, January 24, 2000
This review is from: Aquaria (DVD)
I used to have reef and fish tanks, getting to old to do the work required to keep these animals. Thought a vertual aquarium would fill the need, but when I saw the deseased corals and fish with clearly visable parasitec infections I became very angry. This horrifying display of aquatic life should not receive any support. I hope that the general public does not believe that this is what coral or salt water fishtanks should look like. I see nothing beautiful in any of these diplays. They are a poor representation of even the worst PETSHOP aquarium dispays. I wish I had never seen this video, it has at least ruined this day for me. NO STARS

Aquaria - The Complete Aquarium DVD Collection