5.0 out of 5 stars Way Better Than Buying At The Big Box Store
Sure, these filters perform great, they always have. I'm not really an aquarium expert but the catch a lot of goo, and seem to work well for the recommended month long lifetime.

The real takeaway is that the local big box pet store charges FIVE TIMES AS MUCH for this same box of filters as Amazon. Nuts to that. Buy your filters here.
Published on December 2, 2010 by NearChaos

3.0 out of 5 stars filters end up clogging and water leaks
More of an issue with the tank design, but I was hoping new filters would help with the way the tank tends to leak.. the filters clog enough that the water level in the filter area rises, then flows over the edge and down the tank outside.
Published 17 months ago by Bobby M

5.0 out of 5 stars Way Better Than Buying At The Big Box Store, December 2, 2010
NearChaos "NearChaos" (Ellicott City, MD USA) - See all my reviews

5.0 out of 5 stars effective filter cartridge, July 18, 2011
This review is from: Aqueon 06417 Filter Cartridge, Small, 6-Pack (Misc.)
Having to ordering replacement filters regularly is the main reason I dislike this filter setup. At least this 6pack is much cheaper than buying at the local pet store and shipping is quick. These are great if you are stuck using this filter, the filter pads themselves work fine and keep the water clean.

Try rinsing off the filter pad in old aquarium water when you do a water change to prolong the life of the cartridge. I have the 2.5 and 5 gallon minibow aquariums, and find that rinsing prolongs the usability of the filter cartridge 2-3 times longer. If the aquarium starts to get that "fishy" smell that means the activated carbon in the filter has been depleted and the cartridge is due to be replaced.

5.0 out of 5 stars Great price here and work well!, February 21, 2012
I have been using these filter with a whole Aqueon set-up with the Whisper Quiet Filter system in a 10 gallon tank for over a year now. The only place in town here that carries the Aqueon medium filters is PetCo. and it's a 35 mile drive one way from me and the filters here are half the price for 3 more!

That said, I've been very happy with these filters. Truth be told I don't change them out as soon as they recommend. I usually wash out the filters really well once a week or once every 2 weeks and use them 2-3 months. Though, I do always keep up with my partial water changes.

I guess the best testament is that my 2 bullheads are still alive and well after more than 1 year. I'd highly recommend these filters.

* Just a note to those who have cloudy water, the food you use makes a world of difference. It seems that one certain brand of flakes I use just makes my water very murky. The Aqueon flakes work the best of what brands I've fed my fish, but, they are hard to find around where I live.

5.0 out of 5 stars Save more with 12-pack, May 17, 2012
This is the only place that I come across 12-pack.
And it didn't cost that much more then the 6-pack.
The more you buy the more you save.

5.0 out of 5 stars It's a filter, not a lot to say, August 3, 2011
It's a filter, it seems to do what it is supposed to although I have no way to scentifically test the efficiency of the activated charcoal.

Now the tank has settled down, the water is bright and clear. I do a water refresh every two weeks and change the filters alternate weekends. Sometimes I wash debris off it between changes.

Prices from Amazon are much better than from local stores.

What more can I say?

5.0 out of 5 stars Great product!, November 25, 2011
Very easy to change with minimal touching. Best filters I've ever used in my 55 gal. acquarium. Far better than the biowheel products. Great product!

5.0 out of 5 stars It works!, October 20, 2011
It works as I expected. This product fits well on my Aqueon 2.5 galon tank. It filters the water and fish seem happy.

5.0 out of 5 stars Great filters at a reasonable price., August 15, 2011
The Aqueon Filter Cartridges do a superb job of filtering my betta fish tank. In addition to keeping the water clear, they also keep it more sanitary, due to the activated carbon within the filter.

Changing the filter is quite easy, but be warned, the filter can get a bit nasty if you haven't removed excess food and waste from you tank manually!

The price is pretty reasonable, though I do wish that a bulk buying option existed for these small-sized filters (you can only buy them in 3 and 6 packs) as I might just get another betta tank!

Overall, I am absolutely satisfied with these replacement cartridges and will continue to purchase them as needed.

5.0 out of 5 stars filter does what it says, June 12, 2010
This filter does what the maker claims , doesn't seem to last more than few weeks per filter so it works out kinda expensive.. I guess the fish are worth it. Water stays nice and clear.

5.0 out of 5 stars Easier to use than most fish filters, December 22, 2008
I like these filters better than the kind where you add your own charcoal because the charcoal won't simply fall to the bottom of the filter on these Aqueon filter cartridges. They have stitching - kind of like on a down comforter - that keeps the charcoal in separate little pockets. I think that gives you more total surface area for your filter. It's also faster to replace a filter like this and you won't spill charcoal all over the place trying to fill it. I've read that some doctors believe charcoal is very bad for you and you should be careful not to breath any into your lungs.

Aqueon 06417 Filter Cartridge, Small, 6-Pack