5.0 out of 5 stars Great whole house softening and filtration system
Published on January 6, 2012 by tombohio56

Published 15 months ago by J. Ogann

‹ Previous | 1 2 3 | Next ›

5.0 out of 5 stars Great whole house softening and filtration system, January 6, 2012
This review is from: Aquios Full House Water Softener and Filter System (Tools & Home Improvement)
I purchased the Aquios unit from Amazon right before Christmas and had it professionally installed a little over a week ago. For anyone concerned about the installation costs, I hired a local plumber and he was able to install the unit for $150 including parts, and it took him less than an hour. I'm sure someone with good plumbing skills and basic tools could easily install the softener themselves; I simply know my limitations and elected to have it installed properly.

I couldn't be happier with the results. My wife and I started noticing a difference in our water quality immediately, and it keeps getting better every day. True, this unit may not match the classic definition of a water softener since it does not use salt, but if crystal-clear water, no chemical taste, elimination of scale buildup and essentially maintenance-free operation is what you are looking for in a whole-house conditioning system, then the heck with "classic" definitions.

We've both noticed a better "feel" from our water in the shower, and the amount of soap and shampoo we use in order to feel clean has been drastically reduced. The first time I used my espresso machine with our "new" water, it was like night and day. The coffee carafe did not show any signs of lime or scale buildup, whereas previously I would have to wash the container out with soap and hot water after each use. Our water was so hard, we had to scrub the toilet bowls daily to keep them clean, and now all of those water stains and "gunk" have simply disappeared. The shower mirror stays crystal clear with no signs of haze, and our water tastes great right from the tap.

It puzzles me how someone could write a review for a product they've never used. So, even though this unit does not use salt, who cares??? If its results you're looking for, I would recommend you take a close look at the Aquios system as a viable alternative to salt-based conditioners.

4.0 out of 5 stars Works as advertised so far., August 24, 2013
I researched long and hard for a water softener as I have recently bought a new home, with new washer dryer and tankless water heater.In my area it is known for some hard water and with that being said we all know what hard water does to your appliances let alone fixtures. Wanted to start with the mindset of living here for the rest of my life.

This unit has improved the taste of the water and has stopped hard water significantly in my home. It has been 2 months and we have not had to wiped down our showers for build up, only for regular cleaning. Sinks are clean and the tank less water heater keeps up with high demand on a lower temperature setting. All in all I believe this was a great investment for my needs.

For reference 3600 sqft home with 3 adults and 2 children.

Below are my findings after doing a lot of initial research before buying the Aquios system and hope to help out others.

There are 3 systems that are widely implemented:

1) Most used is salt based water softners
2) Water Filtrations systems that as a byproduct soften the water
3) Newest technology is the Magnetic

So far after reading it all, salt based are best used when there is serious, serious hardwater. Basically if you see rings in your toilet, and you feel so dry after a shower. Cons of salt based systems are that your water feels a little soapy and if you use your tap water to cook and make coffee. This of course is because there is added salt in your diet due to the softener. Not recommended for those with sodium health problems. Costs for the salt based softeners start as low as $80 up to $500. Usually has to be maintained every 1 to 2 months. Costing $10-$20 ea time.

Water Filtration systems are mid level to mid-high cases of hard water. They are a filtration system that will also help with softening up the water. With this product you get a two in one system and if you think about it will also prolong your appliances a bit longer as it will also take out further contaminates. Initial costs for a whole home water filtration & softener system starts from $300-$1000. Filter lasts from 3-6months. Filters can be $30 to $70 ea.

Magnetic wiring around your copper fittings is one of the newer technologies to be implemented for home use. From reviews and what I have read, these do work but not for cases where hard water is not an big problem and usually installed when it was not needed in the first place. How they work is to electrifying wires to create magnetic fields so the chemical reaction how hard water is formed is deactivated. These systems are usually maintenance free. Systems start at $150 to $800.

5.0 out of 5 stars It does it!, August 3, 2012
I had this installed last week in a home we just bought. We didn't notice a change right away in the water quality. We have horrible water where we live (an ag city).

I had it tested when we first moved in and and it was over 185 ppm. It was like soap when washing the car. It literally came out like soap and left bubbles and film on the car. We wouldn't touch the stuff for drinking. Anyways, the stainless steel sink in the kitchen was covered in hard water film along with the fixtures in the bathrooms. We are on a full galvanized pipe install under the house along with the guest house / garage. There was some copper pipes but they were toast and I removed them, went full steel and grounded the pipes (house been around since the 50's and the steel was still good- kind of makes me wonder why people recommend copper over steel when the copper was destroyed.. I'm not sure about plastic but the pipes under the house look like new, and came apart like new (60+ years old)- just were it was joined with copper is where I found issues. I think it's just plumbers would rather save money on installing plastic. (Just my opinion after seeing these galvanized pipes myself)

Installed this on the main and replaced the old shutoff with a lever. A week later the sinks are clean and the water is much better (not perfect- I wouldn't drink it but much better). It has a bypass that's easy to use for the nights when the sprinklers come on. Bypass every other night until I can fix the sprinklers that keep getting kicked. We are happy with the purchase.

I put a reverse osmosis system on the kitchen sink for drinking water. We should have a real water softener but I just wanted to try this first. Think we saved ourselves $500. You don't really need the softener. This thing is good enough to keep the film and soapy water that comes from the city from sticking to everything. The replace filter costs $60 but I talked with someone who said he goes 2 years without replacing his whole house filter. Guess we'll have to see.

5.0 out of 5 stars Does good job, January 31, 2013
We've had this installed for $140 by our plumber.Someone else gave us a price of $395 for the same installation,so be careful and call around for prices.We feel it works great.We can now drink water from the faucet with no after taste and you can install it just about anywhere.We had ours installed in the garage where our pipes run thru.We've been using it since September 2012,and still working fine.Filters with (EOC),which is what we got and are only $10 more,are suppose to last a family of four for six months,So,I expect to get 8 to 10 months use for just my wife and myself.Our plumber said,he doesn't know why more people don't use this type of softener/filter instead of spending thousand's for something that'll do the same thing this will.It DOES NOT affect our water pressure at all.There was absolutely no difference,and the filter's are easy to replace.Just unsrew the top,pull the old filter out and slide the new one in,but,don't forget to soak the filter for 15 minute's before putting the filter in.We live in Tucson,AZ,and our water is very hard.This system did the trick.It's also saving our appliance's,water heater,faucet's,dish washer,toilet's,etc from the calcium build-up we got before.We actually had to take our water heater out and flush all the calcium chunks out in the yard.We don't hear those chunks banging against the side of the water heater anymore from the pressure inside.I recommend this water softener.If it works in Arizona,where the water is very hard,it should work most anywhere,and the cost of it is very reasonable for what it does,plus the extra life it is giving our appliance's and our skin and hair and having water you drink.I'm pretty picky guy,so,you can trust this review and I DO NOT work for Aqious.
Also,it arrived ahead of the actual delivery date stated.

5.0 out of 5 stars Far better than expected, August 24, 2013
This product is easy to install----it's skinny but long, so you need vertical space. Filters well---softens hard water noticeably and makes bad water taste very good. We'll see how long the filter lasts, but this is a very good inexpensive solution.

5.0 out of 5 stars Aquios Softener/Filter Works. Pure and Simple., March 9, 2014
Kind Turtle (Glastonbury, Connecticut, USA) - See all my reviews
We replaced an old, nonworking salt based softener with the Aquios 5 weeks ago. Purposely, I cleaned the usual rust colored areas around sink/tub drains and the scale buildup at the toilet water line with Lime-Away the day the plumber installed the Aquios, and then did not clean the usual scale buildup areas again for several weeks. (Yes, you can clean a toilet without hitting the water line mark) It was my only way of visually seeing if this unit worked. It works. No new scale buildup after the installation – no rust color around drains.

Our well water (central Connecticut, 2 person household) was tested a week before the installation and was 7.5 pH, 12gpm. We did not want all the natural and necessary minerals in our drinking water removed for good health reasons and after much online research, I discovered that the antiscaling polyphosphate siliphos balls inside the Aquios cartridge are also used in Europe and have a very good track record of filtering out lime scale. What I wanted from any water softening unit was the reduction of lime scale – and that’s what I got with this unit. The water is decidedly softer. The water color in a filled tub no longer has the blue-green tint to it; the water is clear. I am very happy with this unit which I bought directly from the manufacturer’s website along with a replacement cartridge, so we're good for a year. No salt, no backwater wash which wastes water, no electricity necessary, no floor space used in our case - it's wall mounted, no reduction in pressure and it does everything for a lot less money than the salt based softeners. Aquios gets five stars from me because it works. Pure and simple.

Oh, one more thing... the plumber who installed it says he's going to get one for his house.

4.0 out of 5 stars Reduces lime and soap scum buildup in cold water, October 17, 2013
Damon Overboe (Fair Grove, MO, USA) - See all my reviews
This does work, although it doesn't actually remove the hardness. This causes a bit of residue to be left over time in hot water applications, like the dish washer or boiling water.

I was also surprised to see that the stock filter, while stating it removes particles larger than 5microns, does not actually reduce the parts per million (PPM) particles in my well water.

All in all though, I do like it better than the electric salt water softener, and it freed up a lot of space in the utility closet.

UPDATE: I have noticed that the residue left from heating or boiling water is much easier to remove than without a softener. I replaced the electric + salt softener because it had failed; when it was not operating, lime and calcium build-up required CLR or Lime-a-way to remove it, whereas now it comes off with a washcloth or scrub brush.

3.0 out of 5 stars Not sure this thing will handle my water - but it is promising, May 9, 2013
The water here is pretty hard and it may be too hard for this technology. Installation was a snap and it seems to be taking some of the hardness out but I am not sure if it is going to do the trick in the long run. They tell you that it will also take scale build-up out of your plumbing and it does do that. Once in a while a batch of it appears in the water coming out of the tap. That's OK and I am hoping that once it does that a few more times, the product will be OK. Go to the Mfg. web site and do your home work before you order it. Make sure your hardness level is within it's capability. I also have a whole house filter in front of it so the particles that can be filtered out are not clogging up the expensive cartage in this thing. That reminds me, I need change my filter !!!

5.0 out of 5 stars Aquios Full House Water Softner & Filter System, October 30, 2013
Chose this rating because I am very happy with having soft water. Everything works just as advertised;
It is so convenient just a small tank in garage, and only have to change filters twice a year. Also NO Salt!

5.0 out of 5 stars It's better then expected, January 31, 2014
I bought this system through Aquios. Note: my water hardness is 12 gpg. & So far after just a week, I have notice a difference. My filter at this time is only connected to to the cold side of my hot water feed; the main cold feed is not easily accessible and would be extremely inconvenient to get to, to change the filter for maintenance. That being said, I have noticed that when taking a shower I now use less bath soap approx a 2/3 less then what I needed in the past. Also, I squeegee the glass door after showering and if I miss spots those remaining spots when dry are far less visible. The Crome sink stopper has far less residue and what little remains wipes away very easily. The automatic dishwasher is no longer leaving heavy soap trails on the door and the dishes are rinsing completely clean. I have a refrigerator water dispenser with a top rated filter which delivers decent tasting water. The water filtered from the Aquios filter taste far better then the fridge water and is void of all chlorine smells. I will revisit my review 6 months from now for an update, I gave it 4 stars instead of 5 only because it's been a week and as I mentioned before it is only connected to the hot water supply and I cannot rate it as a whole house filter.
OKAY, its been 6 months... Wow, not "hocus pocus". The main house hot water feed filter I just changed for the 1st time. There are No more hard soap scum stains in the dish washer; what would not wipe away has now dissolved away over time. I'm guessing my Takagi instant hot water heater is sharing the same benefit. I still have not figured out where in the main water feed line I can install the filter, still working on it. The filter as just a filter is amazing the crap that comes through our pipes can be rather unpleasant to see once collected by the filter. The smaller filter in the back house is running great still has some life left. I have notice that all the stainless, chrome and even the grout in the shower is cleaner and more vibrant. I'm sold on this filter, glad I purchased. i've now changed my rating from a 4 to a 5 star.
Cheers!