Published on December 11, 2011 by Nathaniel Allen

1.0 out of 5 stars Color Shift
Published on March 8, 2012 by Tim M.

5.0 out of 5 stars Nice Display, and a Study in Contrast: DVI vs. D-SUB Analog Side-by-Side, December 11, 2011
This review is from: Arbitech Distribution 2414H Widescreen 24.0-Inch Screen LED-Lit Monitor (Personal Computers)
We recently received a pair of these monitors at work. They're installed in side-by-side, dual monitor setup. For various reasons (cheapness being one of them), IT set us up with one on the DVI (digital) connection, and the other on the (analog) D-Sub 15 connection (via an analog KVM switch, to switch between two PCs -- didn't want to spring for a digital KVM, I guess).

The difference is stark. My impression of the monitor on the DVI is extremely favorable: bright, good contrast with blacks, easy to read test with little eye strain, in general just a pleasure to use. On the other hand, *I HATE* the monitor on the VGA connection. Now to be fair, yes, the KVM probably introduces more noise into the signal than a straight VGA cable would, but the picture is blocky and inconsistent, the text is fuzzy, solid backgrounds are uneven, and in general it gives me a headache. Both monitors are set to their native resolution of 1920x1080.

However, I'm not going to downgrade my rating over this, because I wouldn't have expected much better from a VGA signal. There's no way I'd suffer with this condition if it were my personal PC (it's a shared-use workstation at work).

The monitor(s) have a nice anti-reflective coating that doesn't really impact their brightness or color. Certainly no problem with the bright overhead fluorescent lights or stark white wall behind me causing annoying reflections like with some glossy screens (mainly laptops) I use. Surprising for a TFT display, the viewing angles are EXCELLENT -- I don't have any problem with color shift / inversion either vertically or side-so-side, especially within the envelope of my normal head / chair movement, but even in extreme examples such as standing up and looking at the screen from an extreme downward angle (this type of color shift is a common problem with many other flat-panel TFT monitors and laptops I use).

Controls are well laid out along the lower right side of the monitor. The power button illuminates with a non-intrusive blue indicator when the monitor is powered up; the four buttons menu above is are unmarked and almost invisible, even though they're on the front of the ~5/8" wide bezel. Because they're unmarked, pushing any one of them pulls up a relational on-screen menu that assigns a function to each button. Up/down arrows, green checkmarks, red 'X's and textual descriptions absolutely eliminate any guesswork as to which is the correct button to press when setting up / adjusting this monitor. And of course, on a DVI connection, everything is more-or-less automatic, with no adjustments required unless a change in brightness or contrast is desired.

The base is stable and, though not exactly svelte, is not overbuilt or clunky. The monitor can easily be rotated into portrait mode for better length-wise viewing, but after having tried this mode, I've found that side-by-side doc viewing to be preferable in the traditional landscape mode as the long screen takes a lot of unnatural up-and-down head movement to read a full length portrait doc from a normal viewing distance of about 30 inches. Tilt adjustments are smooth and don't require a lot of force or coordination, i.e. the base stays put, the monitor goes where I tilt it to, and once there, doesn't move or shake. There's even a spring-assisted height adjustment that easily allows about 5 inches of vertical (height) adjustment. None of this requires fiddling with any clamps or locks -- just grab hold and move it the way you want to.

I don't watch much in the way of video on this screen, but I do sneak the occasional YouTube or Vimeo clip in HD on these screens, and I've got absolutely nothing to complain about: the colors appear natural and "clean" (and cleanest on the DVI side, of course), no ghosting of fast moving images, and good dynamic range with inky dark blacks (this is evident in bold black text, as well). The display supposedly auto-dims brightly lit scenes, but I've honestly seen no evidence of any sort of obvious changes in brightness, not with videos, web surfing, nor standard boring office stuff.

The monitor does feature two USB ports hidden behind the left-hand bezel, though we don't have ours connected and therefore don't use them. The location seems convenient enough for a single monitor setup, though for dual displays side by side, the USB ports on the right-hand monitor would be blocked by the left-hand monitor.

In a nutshell, this is a generously proportioned monitor with a very nice display when using a digital connection, a beautifully thought-out menu system, and a sturdy and adaptable base. I wouldn't hesitate to purchase one of these for my own use at home, should my current display need replacing.

1.0 out of 5 stars Color Shift, March 8, 2012
Tim M. (Orange County, CA) - See all my reviews
I am a professional designer, so color is important in the work I do. How my monitor represents color is really important. I noticed within an hour of using this monitor that it had a noticeable color shift from the top to the bottom. The top was too dark and too saturated. The bottom was too light and too pale. The sweet spot appeared to be about 2 inches tall in the middle of the monitor. An orange square looked different depending on where you placed it on the screen.

I thought it was defective and was sent a replacement. The same problem existed on the replacement. I was sent a third monitor and it too had the same problem. I tried using a different computer and different cords and the problem was always there. I gave up and bought a different monitor.

Other than that, the monitor worked great.

5.0 out of 5 stars Dell Monitor, May 8, 2012
Works great as a second monitor on my PC, using Windows 7. Easy setup. Love being able to adjust the height of the monitor and choose portrait or landscape configuration.

3.0 out of 5 stars OK BUT beware DELL Tech Ignorance and Indifference, October 29, 2013
I wanted to be able to read whole pages of the PDF medical records that are sent to me. My need was to have a large, readable monitor that would work in Portrait Mode. The monitor came with a disk, and the need to print out the manuals and download various drivers. The advise was to use the NVIdea driver. It did indeed offer the option to change modes, but after a few seconds, the selected mode reverted to Landscape, and here the problems started.
1: Because it wasn't purchased from DELL, it didn't have a "service tag" number, and DELL wouldn't talk to me. They said it was Amazon's problem.
2: If it is not installed on a DELL computer, they advise you to contact the computer manufacturer.
3: AMAZON was very nice, and the representative spent a lot of time on the phone finding a DELL tech who would try to help.
4: The DELL tech guy wanted the serial number, in order to set up a "Dummy Order Number".
5: Once that hurdle was cleared, he suggested that I change the cable. (Not a cable problem).
6: Next, he offered to replace the Monitor (but of course, therere was no problem with the monitor).
7: He stated that there was no need to install a driver (then why were the drivers part of the box?).
8: Bottom line, neither of two DELL tech reps had the slightest idea of what they were talking about.
9: If you buy, make sure your vendor provides a Service Tag with the monitor, and you had better be tech savvy yourself.

5.0 out of 5 stars Works beautifully... VESA mountable, USB hub, December 8, 2012
First off, this is a great monitor... but if you do not need the VESA mount, there are less expensive options.

Perfect monitor... I have 3 of these now. I needed a reputable manufacturer and build quality, VESA mountable, and USB hub. This monitor fit that bill perfectly.

The monitor does suffer from slight color issues, however, I have NEVER noticed this except when performing detailed photo editing. I only mention this for people who into to do picture/video editing.

I have used these monitors to build a website, minor picture editing, and general office tasks. I highly recommend this monitor.

Arbitech Distribution 2414H Widescreen 24.0-Inch Screen LED-Lit Monitor