5.0 out of 5 stars A Truly Refreshing Tribute to What JRPGs are SUPPOSED to be... and Bad Voice Acting
As a child of the 80s, I grew up with traditional Japanese Role-Playing Games (JRPGs) such as Final Fantasy II and III (aka IV and VI respectively), Lufia I and II, Xenogears, Phantasy Star, Breath of Fire III, and many more. These were the golden JRPGs that made most of us older RPG fans hooked on most things Japanese. They maintained a good story that didn't require a...
Published on July 28, 2010 by Kyle Slayzar

3.0 out of 5 stars A bit too typical.
I played this game several months ago and it kept me interested enough to see it through to the end. However, since then, I have played other games that were very similar which had kept me interested more, yet they were older. Many years older. I'm referring to the "Tales of" series, which seems to be a very huge inspiration for this game, Arc Rise Fantasia. Battle system...
Published 16 months ago by Arseface

‹ Previous | 14 5 6 | Next ›

4.0 out of 5 stars Not bad, October 16, 2014
This review is from: Arc Rise Fantasia - Nintendo Wii (Video Game)
What sold me on this title was the music by Yasunori Mitsuda.
Fun gameplay, nice graphics

3.0 out of 5 stars Subs are better than Dubs..., August 7, 2011
= Fun:4.0 out of 5 stars
This review is from: Arc Rise Fantasia - Nintendo Wii (Video Game)
Arc Rise Fantasia... the title is catchy, that's for sure! I loved the opening cut scene; the graphics are really nice. I loved everything about it... UNTIL Ryfia started talking. The voices are... bad. Not to mention the fact that the people who did the editing didn't even take into consideration the mouth movements of the characters! The voices don't seem to match up with the mouth movements at all. I would rather there be an option to switch over to the Japanese voices.

Gameplay: The system is very similar to "Tales of Symphonia: Dawn of the New World". It's a semi-free roaming JRPG with maps to get to where you're going next. You use the nunchuck to move and the Wii-mote to control the menues and such. 4.5/5 Stars

Music: The music is pretty darn good! I must say, it's much better than the music. 5/5 Stars

Voices: *sigh* I'll try to keep from ranting and raving on about the voices. The voice of L'Arc, the main character, is... okay. Certainly not the worse dub I've ever heard. But Ryfia... her voice is annoying! And not in that high-pitched, squeaky Hatsune Miku kind of way. It's monotone. There's no emotion! 2/5 Stars

Animation: The animation is really good. True, it's not exactly Square-Enix, but it's still good. The battle graphics are okay- again, not Square-Enix. The battle graphics are kind of rough around the edges. 4/5 Stars

5.0 out of 5 stars A truly amazing RPG, August 23, 2010
This review is from: Arc Rise Fantasia - Nintendo Wii (Video Game)
This is an excellent RPG for the Wii. Only thing I fault is the voice acting. Its funny but when you look at most of the characters its just not the type of voice you'd envison them having. Then again it might just be me. Other than that great gameplay. A must by for an RPG collector or those who enjoy a good story.

4.0 out of 5 stars It's here, it's fun, and it's a JRPG. Let's go!, September 30, 2010
This review is from: Arc Rise Fantasia - Nintendo Wii (Video Game)
Well, if you like JRPGs (and I don't see anyone checking this game out if they don't), then you are in luck! This game has "the goods." It has a fun battle system (turn based but with a large variety of attack and defense options), it has an interesting cast of characters (mostly cliche but the developers weren't scared to make fun of them at times, so they come over well), and it has a large, interesting world to explore. Of course, Arc Rise doesn't really do anything new (something over reviews have noted), but what it does do, it does well. If you are a fan of the genre, you have probably played the Tales of games (Abyss, Symphonia, etc). If this is true, you will immediately notice that this game draws HEAVILY from those games. Indeed, the only thing that is missing is their trademark real time, button mashing (at least, until you get the hang of it) combat system. Although this game would have been much more awesome with such a system, it's combat works and it works well. It's most enjoyable feature is that you can customize your character's magic and weapon (static) abilities, creating the character you need for the fight at hand only to change it all again for the next fight.

On the critical side, yes, the voice acting is a bit...jarring...to begin with. However, as you get used to it (or your ears start to bleed, whichever comes first), it becomes less of a problem. However, as this is the only thing that truly stands out as a negative, I would still highly recommend it.

It is a good value, (my wife and I are on our 80th hour without having entered the final dungeon) and the side quests that give it a good bit of its length are, generally, fun, oriented towards challenging battles with tangible rewards, and are entirely optional.

Ultimately, if you have a Wii, like JRPGs, and are looking for something to play, this is your best choice of this year's offerings. You won't regret it.

5.0 out of 5 stars Very good game for such a low price., August 28, 2010
This review is from: Arc Rise Fantasia - Nintendo Wii (Video Game)
Increadibly packed with things to do. Similar to Tales of Symphonia, except turn-based. Is definitely worth $[...]. Should be $50. Plenty of outfits, weapons, and monsters. Very good game.

3.0 out of 5 stars An average game., August 25, 2013
This review is from: Arc Rise Fantasia - Nintendo Wii (Video Game)
I do have to say that there were some nice plot twists to the game. However, the characters sometime came off as a little flat or just plain annoying. If there's nothing else its a solid game that should pass the time.

5.0 out of 5 stars L!ARC, November 6, 2011
This review is from: Arc Rise Fantasia - Nintendo Wii (Video Game)
This is a great game. Spent many hours playing it, and just started from the beginning again.
The scenery is beautiful.

4.0 out of 5 stars Voices, December 27, 2010
Kelly Ross (Portsmouth, RI United States) - See all my reviews
= Fun:4.0 out of 5 stars
This review is from: Arc Rise Fantasia - Nintendo Wii (Video Game)
Crap. They weren't kidding. I met the girl after about four minutes. At minute five I was in config turning off voice sound. Not only are the voices themselves terrible, the mouthes don't match the words at all, when they even bother to move their mouths. Still, the game itself looks promising.

4.0 out of 5 stars Four Stars, December 5, 2014
good

3.0 out of 5 stars Had high hopes for this game, but too frustrating, May 22, 2011
= Fun:3.0 out of 5 stars
This review is from: Arc Rise Fantasia - Nintendo Wii (Video Game)
I liked this game, I had no problem with the voice actors except the "engrish" which also had a certain charm to it that I was able to overlook.

The battle system was really from what I had experienced.

The game was too difficult for me to complete, the "healer" ran out of MP after like 2 heals and then my party is left to die. With nothing but overpriced inns to stay at and no way to seemingly by MP potions, I retried the battle multiple times but was unable to beat the enemy. As in some games, I hoped it was a "trick" enemy that you aren't able to beat, and after losing to the story continues, but no- it was game over.

I also hated the graphics. I know we are on Wii, but I also know the Wii could do much better than this. If you have the patience for an "old school era" RPG I think you will thoroughly enjoy Arc Rise, but was too frustrating for me

‹ Previous | 14 5 6 | Next ›

Arc Rise Fantasia - Nintendo Wii
Arc Rise Fantasia - Nintendo Wii by Ignition Entertainment Ltd (Nintendo Wii)
$89.00