on December 4, 2007
This pillow is fabulous. I had neck pain with tingling radiating down my arm to my index finger. (Obviously a bulging cervical disk/pinched nerve.) To treat myself, I stopped my usual exercise routines for awhile to let myself heal, took anti-inflammatories for a couple of weeks, bought this pillow and the books "Treat Your Own Neck Pain" and "Treat Your Own Back Pain." Long and short, I was 100% better after a few weeks without the huge expenditure of time and money required for treatment by doctors or physical therapists. A few months later, and I'm still pain free and have no physical restrictions whatsoever.
I have to wonder if the people who found the pillow uncomfortable did not follow the directions that say to ease into using it by gradually increasing the time of use. I, too, found it a bit uncomfortable at first, but that quickly passed by using it as directed. I'm still using it now b/c I'm such a believer. It provides light cervical traction while lying on your back (with an optional simple neck support if you turn it around). Better yet (at least for me), for long term use, it provides perfect support for your neck when sleeping on either side so long as you move to the proper position on the pillow as indicated by the directions.
I split my time between the US and Europe, and this pillow always goes with me. It's one of the best purchases I've made.
22 commentsWas this review helpful to you?YesNoSending feedback...
on September 14, 2011
I purchased this pillow directly form Arc4Life for my husband and it is great. So there is definitely value to this product and I wanted one for myself. However, all pillows are stuffed by hand, and while I assume there is some type of quality control, such as a standardized weight, the actual product varied TREMENDOUSLY. I received a pillow that was about 5 inches high, so no normal person could ever use it-- my shoulders were raised off of the bed.

Unfortunately, arc4life cannot recognize this lack of quality in their product and I was unable to get an exchange on it. I'd say that buying this product is a gamble.
1212 commentsWas this review helpful to you?YesNoSending feedback...
on January 30, 2006
I have been having "Stiff Necks" on and off for several years. Each time they were more painful and lasting longer. I have purchased lots of pillows, expensive and not. I came across this pillow and thought I'd give it a try. I have not had a stiff neck since I started using it about 9 months ago. The first 2 nights it was uncomfortable and I thought I wouldn't like it. The pillow keeps your neck in proper alingment so it's awkward, but after a couple of nights, it becomes very comfortable. I take this pillow when I travel, I can't sleep without it now. I am ordering another one for my DH.....excellent product!
on November 28, 2012
I've been diagnosed with Military Neck and have been sleeping with a rolled up towel for a pillow to treat this as well as address the pain. I bought this pillow July 28, 2011 and have used it every night since then. Every night I had neck pain with any pillow, or rolled up towel, so when I first used this and had neck pain, it wasn't a concern to me.

Pros - Works great! Looks like a regular pillow
Cons - cost, durability

Starting with the morning after the 2nd night, I noticed my neck pain had decreased and by the 5th day I was stunned to realize my pain had completely disappeared. It stayed away for 12 months and during that time I also had a dramatic increase in range of motion and a drastic reduction in headaches. I was thrilled!

At about 12 months, almost exactly, the pillow started to lose some firmness. I started to notice a very slow increase in neck pain. Now at about month 16 I've started to think about trying the rolled up towel again. That tells me its time to buy another pillow.

Prior to this pillow I used the same $20 pillow for 15 yrs, so I'm not crazy about the idea of spending $75/yr on a pillow. However, its certainly cheaper than chiropractor visits so I can't complain too much.

What I am going to do is try a different pillow that looks like its a bit more durable, link below. Its about the same price so there's no great risk in trying this. I'll update this review based on my experience with the below pillow to share my opinion as to which one I think is better.

UPDATE as of 5/31/13: I never ordered the above pillow as many of the reviews talked about the sizing issues and no return policy. I stopped using the Arc4life for about 3 months, then went back to it. It has regained enough of its shape for me to be able to delay ordering a replacement. Unless I find a different pillow that gets amazing reviews I'll stick with this one as I'm pretty happy with the job it does.
on June 14, 2009
I am a professional dancer, which has caused various body aches and pains my whole life. The most chronic pain I have had has been stiff necks and neck muscle spasms. I've been told by a physical therapist that my neck curvature is going in the reverse direction from what is normal. I have tried various methods of sleeping with support for my neck but have never found anything that actually worked. I always ended up crumpling up part of my pillow and stuffing it underneath my neck. But within a few hours that would stop giving me the support I needed

I got the Cervical Linear Traction Neck Pillow last week, and it is by far the best neck pillow that I have tried. It took about 2 nights to get used to it - it makes me sleep with my head in a flatter position than I am used to, so that was weird at first. But the relief that it provides to your neck is definitely worth the adjustment. Even in the middle of the day, I will sometimes just lie down for 10 minutes on the pillow just to give my neck a relief for a while, which feels great.

The first 2 days I also felt like I could not move my head in the pillow - like it had to be straight upright. But, that was simply a misconception. If you lean your head to the left or right with this pillow, your head gets supported in a similar way to a neck pillow you might wear on an airplane, but with the support on your neck itself still there.

You can also lie on your side and the pillow gives support under your neck. It's not as good as when you lie on your back, but if you tend to want to lie on your side when you sleep at least you get some support with it.

Overall I really love this pillow and would say it is worth a try if you experience any kind of neck discomfort.
11 commentWas this review helpful to you?YesNoSending feedback...
on December 23, 2004
I cannot recommend this pillow highly enough. I have severe neck problems that often radiates pain through my shoulder blades & arms. The day after I slept using this pillow the pain literally stopped. I was completely shocked. If you have any neck or shoulder pains try this pillow - it is really comfortable (both on your back & side) and really works.
on April 12, 2011
OMG!!!! I have MS, I have been in pain for over 20 years .. Yes, 20 years
:(( I have the kind that is very painful and spastic .. This was my last resort
I miserable .. Matter of fact .. I thought I was going nuts I hurt so bad the Doctors
Had me believing it was all in my head handing me pill after.. I am a Registered
Nurse that works in the ICU's .. Well this pillow has just saved my life !! :))) I can now walk
With just a little pain up right move like I'm 20 again have so much energy .. I just clean and vacuum
My town house !! Unheard of before .. I would be in bed for days no energy on pain
Antidepressant !! Thank you !! Thank you !! For this you have save me from years in a wheel
chair and given me back my life!! For that I am eternally GRATEFUL !!!
Carolyn Hoffman
on July 4, 2005
I give it two stars only because the service I received was prompt and well documented. But the pillow itself has now rendered me unable to move properly.

I woke up in the middle of the night on the first night I used it with a searing pain shooting down my shoulder. Now, I have chronic neck and shoulder issues anyway, (hence the purchase of this pillow to begin with,) but this was completely off the scale. I was unable to drop my head, turn my head to the right or raise my right arm above the level of my shoulder. I tried it again last night using the other, slightly less supportive side and was fine as long as I did *not move* from my back. Once I was on my side, everything hurt. Sorry, but I just don't sleep like that... I roll and shift positions and and my pillow needs to shift with me. This is only a useful product if you are strictly a back sleeper and do not move. If you are more active, this is not the product for you. Alas, these are unreturnable due to hygiene reasons, so do your homeowork and try one out, if possible, *before* you buy it.
99 commentsWas this review helpful to you?YesNoSending feedback...
on November 2, 2007
I have been dealing with back and neck pain for 10+ years. My x-rays show a complete loss in the curvature of my neck, a permanent head tilt, and a curvature in my spine to compensate for my head tilt. I've been to the chiropractor again and again, tried roll pillows under my neck at night (so uncomfortable) and popped tons of advil. Minimal relief.

Then I ordered this pillow. The first night I used it I woke up the next morning with much less pain than usual. The next night I slept soundly and had even less pain in the morning. I have been using this pillow every night for three weeks now, and I wake up feeling great. The best part is, my neck is still okay by the end of the day! The pain stays at bay.

Sure the pillow takes a little getting used to, you can't move around much, but I am willing to sacrifice rolling around in bed at night for a pain free tomorrow!

This is the money well spent!
11 commentWas this review helpful to you?YesNoSending feedback...
on October 19, 2011
I'm not in the habit of reviewing products - good or bad. But this pillow has literally changed my life. I've had neck problems on and off for years. I go to the chiro fairly regularly and have always used a cheaper type of cervical pillow - the kind with the slope to it. Well, about 6 weeks ago, my neck was hurting so bad I couldn't stand it. I took advil around the clock, made many trips to the chiropractor but was getting no relief. I would wake up often worse off than when I went to bed, so duh!. It dawned on my that it must be the "neck" pillow that was contributing to my problems. I went online, found this and purchased it. I got pain relief the first night! Felt better than I had in weeks! I was worried because I'm a big side sleeper and thought this wouldn't work very well. But it's a dream either way. It's just the right height and feels great to sleep on my back now too. I highly recommend and hope it works for you, too!