4.0 out of 5 stars A Unique, Multipurpose Lift.
July 03 2013

Point Of View:
Grizzled old restoration & hotrod dude.

Description & Features:
Published 16 months ago by Jimmy Stewart

3.0 out of 5 stars Jack Wobbles
The Jack works well, but seems as though it comes with a factory defect. It wobbles because one of the rear wheels is welded higher than the other. I actually returned the item because of this for another one. The 2nd jack they sent me had the same problem. It works well besides that.
Published 1 month ago by Shawn

‹ Previous | 1 2 3 | Next ›

4.0 out of 5 stars A Unique, Multipurpose Lift., July 3, 2013
This review is from: Arcan XL2T Black Low Profile Steel Service Jack - 2 Ton Capacity (Automotive)
July 03 2013

Point Of View:
Grizzled old restoration & hotrod dude.

Description & Features:
At 3 feet long and 15" wide, this is a large frame jack, nearly as wide as the monster 10-ton truck jacks like the HW93880, but not as ridiculously long. It uniquely combines a deep-reaching, low base profile with an unusually tall lift capacity. To support it's lift height, There are a few important structural elements that are central to it's design:
The 3/16" steel side-plates have been formed into asymmetric c-channels, then boxed with full-thickness welded material. This creates a pair of flanged box-sections.
The asymmetric lift arm is also a flanged box-section.
The large rear caster flanges are full thickness with continuous welds on both sides of the material.
The front axle is welded in place.
It appears to share components with the Arcan 3.5 ton model.
It weighs a safe 97lb.
It has a wide base.

Packaging:
Considering the weight and size of the item the manufacturer's packaging is poor, consisting of budget cardboard and light Styrofoam.
My item arrived a bit scratched, with everything adrift inside a thoroughly pounded box with gaping holes in it. If Amazon hadn't added an additional box & banding, the jack would likely not have survived shipment. Still, protection against the shipper's brutal digestive system was inadequate. For the record, Amazon shipped this 100 pounds of steel across the nation for free, then offered me a 15% price reduction when notified the shipper had hammered the package. No reasonable person could throw them under the UPS truck for their earnest efforts.

Pros:
REAL low profile - not just low forward, but low for about 16" of the carriage's length.
Intelligent design that is rigid and stable in action.
Extended lift range, greater than most anything else available.
Powder-coated the most practical color for a floor jack.
Good build quality.
Value-priced.

Cons:
Borderline packaging.

Speculation:
If this lift holds pressure adequately for a few years under light commercial duty, it will be an excellent value worth revisiting. The concept of twin pumps though, has me skeptical - twice the number of imported rubber seals to leak, twice the number of pistons to wear, etc. But there isn't really a choice. All of the import lift brands seem to be promoting this design feature as a way of raising the jack into contact with the load quicker . . as if we're competing for an under-fifteen-second pit stop. A little silly.

Tips:
The pivot cup comes ungreased. If it is not removed and it's base lubricated with a high pressure grease, pivoting the jack under load will be more difficult, and the powder coat on it's load-bearing surfaces will be ground away. The wheel & caster axles, and caster bearings should also be greased.

If this thing pukes on me I'll update, otherwise no news is good news.

5.0 out of 5 stars Almost makes me WANT to climb under the car, August 24, 2013
Blue Subie (Pittsburgh, PA) - See all my reviews
EDIT: I was finally able to use this jack. It's awesome! It actually lifts higher than my jack stands so it looks like I'll be getting larger stands in order to take full advantage of the lifting height.

The saddle reached the lifting point in 1 1/2 strokes (not sure I actually did a full stroke as I was making sure everybing was adjusted properly for the initial lift). It raised the car very quickly and fairly effortlessly. I have contacted Arcan about replacement parts but have not received a reply. I'm hoping to be able to order a spare piston as inevitably it will fail. I'm just hoping to get at least 4-5 years out of it.

I've also noticed the price has dropped by $10 over the past 2 weeks since ordering mine.

Original review:
Please note that I have not used this jack yet. This is only a review of unpacking it and comparing it to my shot craftsman.

First off, this thing is heavy. I think it's about 100 lbs. Fortunately, it rolls rather well across the garage floor. Also, Amazon Prime included free shipping. I've noticed that Northern Tool charges $100 to ship the same jack.

On first impression this thing is NICE. It lifts to a full 24". I'll post a comparison pic next to my Craftsman, which by the way is shot and leaks all the fluid out when under load. The Craftsman tops out at 18.5". The Arcan is also lower and longer than the Craftsman. The only advantage with the Craftsman is the weight. I think it only weighs around 40 lbs.

I use a hockey puck to lift the vehicles on the pinch welds at the jack points on the sides. It fits perfectly on the saddle of the Arcan. No need to buy pricey saddle cushions/covers.

I'm going to attempt to get to some exhaust work on a car this weekend, so I'll update with how well it works under load. Also, as a precaution, I "bled" the jack following the directions, just incase there was any air trapped from shipping.

5.0 out of 5 stars Solid, professional. See details, November 20, 2013
I spent a long time reading reviews of other jacks before deciding on this one.

First, do check the weight of your vehicle in the manual or on the title. 2 Ton USA is 4000lbs, so only the very largest trucks and SUVs cannot be lifted at one end by this jack. I was tempted to buy a 3 Ton, but this jack is just fine for my Dodge truck.

Check the product weight and dimensions -- yes this jack is huge and does weigh as much as it says. The handle is really long -- enough to make for comfortable jacking.

The jack has a proper "professional" action where you twist the handle to lower. The twisting turns a universal joint to release the oil valve. Really smooth and predictable action. Nice.

Wheels are solid. BTW for easy lateral positioning, you can lever up the front wheels by pushing down on the handle.

This is not your half-plastic jack-like-replica: it's a solid professional tool constructed entirely from thick steel. I'm kinda amazed it costs so little.

Cramped packaging slightly damaged the foam-rubber on the jacking handle.

5.0 out of 5 stars Capable floor jack, November 4, 2013
Andrew (Southern California) - See all my reviews
This monster is a huge step up from the cheap aluminum floor jack I have been borrowing from a friend, in every way.

To lift the back end of my Miata with the smaller aluminum one, I had to set it up off to the side, so the jack handle could operate in the wheel well, between the wheel and the fender, and I had to start with small handle movements, because I had to get the car off the ground a bit before I could really move it far. With this XL2T, I can put it straight in from behind, contact the differential, and still have enough clearance behind the car to move the handle through its full stroke, so lifting went easily and quickly.

I've got at least 2 inches of clearance to lower the car or add a lower lip to the bumpers, which is more than enough. It's heavy, but it rolls around a flat floor easily enough.

The only minor issue is that letting the car down slowly is tricky, though that's been the case with every floor jack I've used.

5.0 out of 5 stars Should have bought sooner., April 7, 2014
I have a 350z and jacking this thing up before was a major pain. I would drive up onto some two by fours and then could fit my old jack under. When it came to lowering the Z back down I was always afraid I would just drop the car basically. On top of that I couldn't fit a puck on it and was tearing the crap out of my pinch welds.

All in all I hated that jack and came across this bad boy.

Best money I ever spent! This jack is low enough to fit right under my car and with a puck I don't have to worry about destroying my pinch welds.

The length of it also lets me get to my front axle and holy crap does that make my life easy.

When it comes to lowering the vehicle I am extremely confident in the jack and am no longer worried about over turning on accident and dropping the car.

Would recommend this to anyone with a low profile car who wants a great jack that will make work around the garage a breeze!

4.0 out of 5 stars Great Jack, June 8, 2014
I love that this is both the lowest clearance and highest lifting jack that I can find. I can get it under my motorcycle and lift my cars to a very comfortable height. The construction is very tough and rugged and at 97 lbs. I would say its near indestructible. The handle has a nice foam guard to protect your vehicle.

My one complaint is not so much the product but its packaging. Given the weight and size of the product, the amount of styrofoam used to protect this product is inadequate. I received my jack practically falling out of the box and it had deep gouges and chipped paint.

5.0 out of 5 stars Best jack I have ever had, June 28, 2014
I have two old cars and both are very low to the ground. This jack is wonderful, first of all it fits under both cars plus the daily driver. My old jack only would fit under the daily driver. For a hot rodder or classic car person this jack is the best I have seen. Lift height is also great. I have been working on and restore / customize old cars for 50 years and this jack is great!!

5.0 out of 5 stars Wow, this jack sits low!, March 21, 2014
Perfect for my Corvette. This jack is so low that it can get caught up on slight imperfections I have on my garage floor.
Perfect for my needs, and appears to be of very high quality. An excellent value for the cost.

5.0 out of 5 stars So far, so good, November 6, 2013
It seems to be very well built, despite being made in Asia. I have a BMW M3 that's pretty low and I have no problem getting this jack under it, and for the price, I don't know if I cold have done better.

5.0 out of 5 stars Top Quality, Low Profile Floor Jack!!!, August 17, 2014
DB62 (Mid Southwest) - See all my reviews
Simply a great floor jack!

I've read all the reviews both here and on many other web sites, and I couldn't find one thing I didn't like about this floor jack. Apparently most everyone else feels the same way.
Nothing but glowing reviews.

Personally, I love this jack!
You can easily see that it's over built, it's welds are all excellent/very solid.

It being very low profile is great (2-3/4"), but this jack is also great in it's lifting range (up to 24 inches), and overall reach.
The lifting base is solid and wide, just great for stability.
It's just an all around great floor jack, that any home owner would love.
It lifts the front end of my 2002 Ford Windstar with no problems.
It operates/lifts really smooth & easy. It lowers very smooth also.

Being front end heavy, my last jack had some problems with my Van, but it was also 15 years old. Gave it to a friend who's gonna replace some parts on it, and keep it for himself.

After the reviews already written, I really can't add any more.

For more info & a very good, well written, and detailed review, read "Jimmy Stewart's" review, it's a good read!

Titled "A Unique, Multipurpose Lift"
It's currently the top review.

Anyways, this is an excellent floor jack, which everyone could use.
If your considering this floor jack, I'd highly recommend buying it, and you'd be very happy with your purchase!

I love it, and I bet you would to!

‹ Previous | 1 2 3 | Next ›