5.0 out of 5 stars Great Book Alot Of Info In A Small Book
It has everything you need for a basic install of ARCH Linux. It gives info for the advanced stuff Too.
Published on November 13, 2012 by Thomas C. Ford

I am very well acquainted with Arch but I really liked adding this book to my bookshelf and I was very eager to read it once I got it. That was all the happiness around it...

This book is NOT a handbook. It is a bad, very bad, copy of the installation guide. It stops right after the installation finishes and that's it.
There are no chapters on Pacman, ABS...
Published 23 months ago by Bill

1.0 out of 5 stars Probably the worst handbook ever, and far away from what Arch is..., December 13, 2012
This review is from: Arch Linux Handbook 3.0: A Simple, Lightweight Survival Guide (Paperback)

There are no chapters on Pacman, ABS and PKGBUILDS which are the most important things an Arch handbook should have. When I say PKGBUILDS it should explain how to make your own, not where to find them.
Furthermote, this book was old before it got published. Arch community knew that they will be moving to systemd from early 2012. This book is published on July 2012 and it talks about initscripts and rc.conf. None of these things exist anymore!!

Even the installation guide is bad. No mention about GRUB2, just plain old GRUB which is of course considered a relic.
No mention of arch-install-scripts either. The book guides you through the old and non-existant AIF installation, which was more than explanatory for itself and needed no guides.

If you are reading this: DO NOT acquire this book. Maybe a 4th edition would be better, though I have my doubts.
The only good thing about this expensive book (it is expensive for something that is 100pages with huge fonts) is that a portion of the money goes back to arch development, I hope all of them go back.
In my opinion you are better of donating 5 bucks to archlinux than buying this book.

Sad, but true, I was really looking forward to get this book in my hands but it dissapointed me.

2.0 out of 5 stars Basically just the wiki, November 25, 2012
Arch already has fantastic documentation on the wiki. A lot of the sentences were taken verbatim from there.
If you really don't know what you're doing it's a good beginner book, (but then again why would a beginner be using arch linux?)

I was hoping to find something more than what is already freely available in the wiki.

1.0 out of 5 stars Same crap as version 2.0, November 27, 2012
The book is all cut and paste from the arch linux wiki, I found more help and more information from a 20 minute youtube video that bee-lined the installation process. This book is nothing, it's 16 point font and barely 100 pages long. Everything in this book can be found on the arch linux wiki [...] and even those instructions can be pretty vague and incomplete. After reviewing a few linux distro's, I decided on slackware. I bought the book and the man pages of slackware (which I don't know if arch does or doesn't have them, but if by after the time I downloaded arch that the man pages aren't mentioned (and in built instruction guide on commands and files) then I think that distro isn't well documented enough for me) come with the distro, and it's instructions are much more straight forward with definitions of what I'm doing, as to not write me off as some sheep like Apple or Microsoft does.

Unfortunately, after purchasing this product, I was very 'sad' to see arch linux move to systemd [..] Not because I knew what the hell systemd was, but it's aiming at a larger audience by making its move, and by sacrificing computer efficiency for accounting for human error. The biggest problem of this switch isn't the fact of a switch at all, just that the 'aristocratic' choice they made came with no input on what the community thought. In fact, after people posted their concerns, many mods simply wrote them off by saying, "We won't miss you." I won't become a part of a community that ever writes off the opinions of its cohorts so easily.

I am very eager to start learning linux, but I can't take a distro seriously if it automatically holds its opinion higher than the opinion of its users. I'm counting on arch linux being a faster and more lightweight version of ubuntu in the next 15-20 years. By then, I feel as though slackware will remain the same, allowing users to take more time to know the ins and outs of their computer design. All the Best,

- A linux Newbie.

3.0 out of 5 stars The same as in the website, October 14, 2013
All the information in this book is same as in the website. I should have noticed it properly. But it helped me a lot for offclie access. :)
Good compilation

3.0 out of 5 stars Replica of online guide ..., September 15, 2013
This publications takes us through the extremely technical installation of Arch Linux, which for most people proves a rather cumbersome process. The book doesn't get 4 or 5 stars mostly because it's a replica of an online guide; the author mentions this himself and you get little extra in terms of pedagogical insights. Thus, I recommend the online guide on the archlinux.org community homepage.

3.0 out of 5 stars Ok - but too many references to the wiki, June 23, 2014
Basically I need a handbook on Arch, on how to set up a box when I have no access to the net, and thus no wiki to mull over.

5.0 out of 5 stars Great Book Alot Of Info In A Small Book, November 13, 2012

Arch Linux Handbook 3.0: A Simple, Lightweight Survival Guide
Arch Linux Handbook 3.0: A Simple, Lightweight Survival Guide by Dusty Phillips (Paperback - July 31, 2012)
$13.14 $11.71