5.0 out of 5 stars Archangel's Blade
"Honor?"

"Yes."

"I'm going to do things to you now that a good girl definitely shouldn't let a man do to her."

Published on September 6, 2011 by Jess

3.0 out of 5 stars 3.5 Stars: A Different Opinion
First of all, let me say that I have loved every book in the "Psy-Changeling" series and the "Angel/Archangel" series by Nalini. She is a very gifted writer who makes you care about her characters, fall in love with their stories, revel in their triumphs, and grieve with them in their tragedy......and you get hot sex!

I was so looking forward to this book...I...
Published on September 8, 2011 by Deinara

5.0 out of 5 stars Archangel's Blade, September 6, 2011
"Honor?"

"Yes."

**********

When I first heard that Dmitri would be getting his own book, all I thought initially was - ok. Of all the supporting characters in the Archangel world, I hadn't thought of him having his own story, at least not at this point in the series, but oh how wrong I was. From the start, we're drawn back into this world and into Dmitri's life. He's surrounded by darkness, he's ruthless, to the point, and he shows no softness. We learn why through flashbacks and pieces of memories that Dmitri has kept buried for years. His past is heart breaking and filled with cruelness and he's basically shut himself off to love and kindness keeping only one true friend, in Raphael, close to him.

Honor has survived a horrific ordeal. She's a Hunter and while all her past training helped her to survive, it was her will alone that made it possible for her to stay alive through everything that was done her. When she's brought in to help Dmitri on a case, she really begins to start living again, something she hasn't been able to do for the many months following her rescue. Honor and Dmitri both awaken feelings in the each other that neither can explain, and even when they try to fight everything emotional that's happening between them, the pull is too strong and they both begin a long journey of healing.

There were two separate cases our hero and heroine were working on. The first, and most important to Dmitri, was tracking down every vampire involved in Honor's capture and making them pay. While he and Honor were following leads, they were also trying to track down a killer, one that ends up hitting much closer to home for Dmitri then he ever thought possible.

Honor is a heroine that you will love instantly, care about and root for hard. I fell in love with her from the start, and while her capture takes place before this story happens, we get bits and pieces of what happened through her nightmares and flashbacks. Calling it horrific earlier is an understatement and I'm beyond glad that Nalini didn't include the actual capture in the book. We get enough detail about it to know exactly what happened and we're even left knowing that it was much, much worse than the parts we learn about. We know pretty early on that this story will follow Honor and her path to healing and moving past this event with the help of Dmitri, but I wasn't prepared to watch Dmitri need to do the exact same thing. He long ago buried the pain of a tragic event and Honor unlocks that part of him, the loving Dmitri that's been gone for centuries. Following these two strong people from a very hesitant meeting, (Honor still having a strong negative reaction to being around vampires, it took some time for her to warm up to Dmitri) to seeing them come to need each other and understanding why that was at the very end, it's a perfect kind of love story.

**********
"Put down the belt, Honor." A sexy smile. "Unless you plan to use it."

Stomach clenching, she dropped the belt and stepped back between his spread legs. "I had a feeling you'd be into belts and ropes."

When she reached forward and pushed up his tee, he remained in his sprawled position, a pasha waiting to be served. His skin was the same dark tan shade on his abdomen as it was on his face. "Is your skin this tone all over?"

"Only one way you're going to discover the answer to that."
**********

One pleasant surprise was all the supporting characters we get to catch up with. Raphael and Elena have a little page time, Illium is in and out through most of the story, and we get even more hints about his fascination with mortals and another painful past for our Bluebell. I was most taken with Holly, a young woman we first met when she was captured by Uram and rescued with Dmitri taking responsibility for her. She's terrified of being what Uram was, and with the help of Honor and even Venom, she's starting to move forward. Hers will be a story that continues to evolve throughout the series and I have such a soft spot for her and hope we get her story someday.

Dmitri is not an easy man, and even when Honor becomes a more important part of his life, his outward personality does not change. We still have a vampire who will make the hard decisions, do the jobs that need to be done, but seeing him with Honor as they become closer, they save each other. It's a wonderful story that I'll be rereading, probably many times, and it's one that as I finished the last page, I couldn't help but hope that Dmitri and Honor will have another book sometime in the future.

Blog Rating: 5/5 stars

3.0 out of 5 stars 3.5 Stars: A Different Opinion, September 8, 2011
Deinara (Hamilton, Ohio USA) - See all my reviews
This review is from: Archangel's Blade (Guild Hunter) (Kindle Edition)

I was so looking forward to this book...I figured the story would be about one of the seven, and Dimitri was at at the top of that list because he has been such an intriguing and mysterious presence in the other three books that readers could not help but be curious about him. His story in Archangel's Blade is certainly a good read, and the sex is hot, but I was a bit disappointed....well, a lot disappointed that we did not learn more about him.
I also wish that Nalini had chosen someone with a bit more depth and dimension to her character as his soul mate. This story did not satisfy me the way the others in this series have.

Let me tell you why I feel this way:

1) With all of the build up from the previous stories about how sexy Dimitri must be, I expected the sex scenes between he and Honor to be sexy in more ways than just aerobics, and toys. I expected all of that but...I guess I expected more intimacy, more caring, the feeling of mating, instead of mechanically melding. It seemed to be from what we have come to know of him, what he did with Honor was no different than what he might have done with any other female. For even though the words he spoke and the thoughts he had were what was supposed to make that so...for me it seemed that they were just "words in the script" rather than truth.

2) I found the relationship they "flashbacked" with his wife, so much more interesting than the relationship with Honor. Even though you did not get nearly as much "blow by blow" detail about their intimate sex life, the way Nalini described his thoughts and feelings you just knew it was wonderful, and that he truly loved her. You got to know some of the simple, everyday, loving ways they related to each other. Not enough of that kind of activity and soulful feeling was revealed between he and Honor. Dimitri would flashback about all of the goodness and rightness in his life with his wife....and then the dialogue would have Dimitri think something like ..."Honor makes me feel that way"; But, there would be none of those kind of loving, intimate, moments or actions between them that lead to loving couples developing such a connection. For me it was "all in his head" and not acted out. This made it difficult for me to believe in their relationship.

I think this book could have been completely the back story of how Dimitri lived, loved, met Raphael, and came to be what he is today. I found it far more interesting than the tale of Dimitri and Honor.

3) I could not relate to Honor at all. At the end of the book I found her to be an incomplete character, who was just as mysterious to me as she was in the beginning. She did not feel as multidimensional as Elena or Sara (other female characters in the series). She was not as interesting as his wife from the back story....Her...I wanted so much to know more about. If Honor was to be the "reincarnation" if you will of his wife, I think the author could have given her more dimensions that would have endeared her to the reader...thus one would truly believe that she was indeed that reincarnation. I was left still wondering "why her?"...other than the fact that words in the story said so rather than deeds...or enough deeds anyway.

Apparently, most of the reviewers do not seem to feel the way I do, but I did not get as lost in this story as I did in the previous books. I did not look forward to the relationship development scenes between Dimitri and Honor the way I did between Raphael and Elena. The relationship in this book was more "by the book mechanical", less nuanced, and did not feel "real" to me.

The book is not awful, it is a good read. I just think it could have been better :)

5.0 out of 5 stars Nalini's Best Work to Date. (A Grade), September 6, 2011
Let me start by saying that Archangel's Blade may be Nalini Singh's best work to date and quite possibly her best hero she's created with the vampire Dmitri. Yes, ladies and gentleman, while I read Archangel's Blade I forgot about my favorite Singh character, Kaleb, from Nalini's Psy/Changeling series. Now that's something astonishing because out of all Nalini's male characters, Kaleb is the end all and be all for me (Lucas Hunter from Slave to Sensation comes in a close second). Dmitri is unlike any hero I've read this year. He's been an important character in the Guild Hunter series since the beginning as the archangel, Raphael's second in command. Dmitri is a dark, almost villainous creature who uses sex and violence to get what he wants. Some may say he doesn't have a soul from what we've seen of him so far. When I heard Nalini was going to give Dmitri his own book, I really thought it wouldn't work. How could she make Dmitri stand on equal footing all her other wonderful heroes? Dmitri is one slick, and at times, slimy mo fo. Well, Dmitri is a cut above all her heroes and more so. Dmitri will slip deep into your heart and not leave. What you think you know about him is so very wrong, and when you figure out who he really is and why he acts the way he does, you may end up in tears because it's so heartbreaking.

Archangel's Blade is not an easy book to read. Nalini throws everything and the kitchen sink in here in regards to Dmitri and the heroine, Honor. These two have gone through hell and back and have barely survived. Their pasts are full of torture, violence, death and disturbing acts placed on their person and their psyche. Only when they both come together and find love and understanding with one another is where they're able to fully heal. This is a powerful story that shows how love can heal all wounds.

Honor is a member of the Guild Hunter just like Elena, the vampire hunter turned angel who is mated to Raphael, the powerful archangel of Manhattan. Honor is recovering from a horrific vampire attack, where she was held captive for months and was drained of her blood, raped and tortured for no reason. She lives in fear and can barely function, going as far as blaming herself for her attack because she was forced to feel pleasure from some of the tortures she went through. Her boss, as way to push Honor to stop hiding, orders her to investigate a possible serial killer targeting vampires. Honor will have to work alongside Dmitri, who frightens her to her very core not only because he's a vampire, but one who's seductive and close to amoral as you can get.

Dmitri is not impressed with Honor at first because he can sense her fear and loathing. He really doesn't have a high opinion of woman because they fawn all over him and allow him to use their bodies for sex and other degrading acts, or so we're led to believe. His heart belonged to only one woman back when he was mortal and he will never love another with such devotion again. But as he gets to know Honor, the walls around his heart break down. He wants to avenge Honor for what she went through while he comes to terms with his own guilt over the senseless murders of people he loved before he was changed into a vampire. Honor begins to see the true Dmitri and how he's scarred like she is. Honor wants to take what Dmitri is offering. She begins to heal also and comes to the conclusion that Dmitri is her salvation, and so much more.

Archangel's Blade is a book where revenge and forgiveness go hand in hand. This is also a very dark and angst ridden read. What Dmitri and Honor have gone through will numb your heart because it's so disturbing. I raged alongside both of them when they tell one another about their suffering. Dmitri makes no excuses for what he does. But the one thing that makes him redeemable is his undying devotion not only to Raphael, but the memory of a woman who was once his entire life. To explain why this is so important would be a big spoiler and is better left unsaid. I will tell you this, when Dmitri loves, it's unlike anything you will have read before. Watching him and Honor first as adversaries who eventually become each other's yin to their yang is a thing of beauty. Their love and passion is an accumulation of two souls who have been searching for one another for far too long.

There's a big twist regarding Honor that may seem ridiculous and too convenient, but it works when all is said and done. When it's revealed, you may break down in happy tears because it's the ultimate happily ever after.

Awe. I am simply in awe of this book, with Nalini's imagination, characterizations and over storyline and plot. Kudos, big big Kudos to Nalini for Archangel's Blade. I announce my favorite phrase with this one- I want to have babies with this book it's so damn good.

I bow down to Nalini for writing Archangel's Blade. I had tears in my eyes, which doesn't happen very often. Archangel's Blade will stick with me for years to come.

Katiebabs

2.0 out of 5 stars Archangel drinking game, January 14, 2012
While I appreciate Dmitri getting a backstory, the writing in this volume is bad enough to inspire a drinking game. Every time "liquid" is used to describe a non-liquid, take a shot: "liquid heat," "liquid silk," "liquid eroticism..." you get the drift. Every time a character's eye color is mentioned, take a shot. Every time an angel or vampire is noted as being inhuman or unyielding, take a shot. Wait, maybe not -- you'd get alcohol poisoning every chapter.

I couldn't help but be reminded of that age-old writing class maxim: show, don't tell. Singh does a lot of telling -- or is using one of those "romance writer random word choice" websites/apps. This book has way more sex scenes than the previous ones, which is good if you like long passages about "the seduction of his skin" or "the eroticism of his touch" or "the sensuality of his kiss." Unfortunately, words like seduction, eroticism, and sensuality... just aren't sexy.

Will I keep going with the series? Yeah, I'm sufficiently interested in the world she's created, but I'm reading the books under protest, at this point.

3.0 out of 5 stars disappointed (**spoil alert), September 13, 2011
After reading Archangel's consort, I really looked forward to the stories of the Seven as they all are interesting characters and I love them almost as much as Raphael and Elena. However, Dmitri's story disappointed me. The author said that the heroine would be someone new, and because Dmitri is very sexually attractive to women, I hoped his match would be someone who didn't find him sexually attractive at all, and not a hunter because Elena is number one hunter in my heart. Besides, Dmitri didn't need a warrior partner, he needed a partner with a big heart, someone soft (but not weak) to counter his edgy characteristic. His wife was everything I imagined the heroine would be. The author made it like Honor was his wife incarnated and I wished that she did build Honor's personality that way, but the author created a weak copy of Elena: tragedy past but brave and resilient, innocent and compassionate. I didn't feel any interest in Honor, after got through half of the book, I started to skip the pages that described her thoughts/feeling to look for pages talking about Dmitri's past, Bluebell and Raphael and Elena. I hope that the rest of the Seven won't have any hunter partner.

2.0 out of 5 stars Repetitive (Grade: D+), December 30, 2011
R.M. (Seattle, WA United States) - See all my reviews
THE GOOD:
We get to return to the world of Angel's Blood. This is an interesting world - I've never seen something with angels and vampires linked together. I also really love our protagonists from the first three novels, Elena and Raphael. I'm curious about the inequality in their relationship, and how the author will deal with the issue.

THE BAD:
The writing. Though I'm used to the flowery language in romance novels, I got really tired of the overwrought descriptions in this book. Even worse, the exact same words are used over and over again to describe things, e.g. wings of midnight and dawn.

The romance. I didn't buy the huge leap of faith in the plot that made Dmitri's love for Honor natural, even preordained.

The plot. I found it pedestrian. Solving the mysteries of who dunnit very much took second place to the characters' inner monologues, which quite honestly weren't even interesting because they were so repetitive.

THE BOTTOM LINE:
I am so disappointed in this book! Dmitri is a fascinating character, not the least of which because of his predilections towards heavy D/S. But in an effort to make this book mainstream, the author shied away from actually depicting pain in any of her scenes, which was a major let down.

I wouldn't recommend this book to anyone, and I'm frankly shocked it got onto Amazon's best of 2011.

2.0 out of 5 stars Disappointed, September 27, 2011
This review is from: Archangel's Blade (Guild Hunter) (Kindle Edition)
I dislike leaving unfavorable reviews but in this case I will make an exception. Not because the book is exceptionally bad - it is not. Some people may enjoy it but if you are like me and enjoyed the complex Angelic politics, the interaction among Raphael and the Seven, and were looking for more action than romance you will be disappointed. Be aware of that. The other Guild Hunter novels were more plot and character driven - this is more a romance with the trappings of vampires. I would write this one off as a romance novel rather than a fantasy with some romance. There is a lot more sex in this one and the scenes extend for pages. Well written but I was looking for more blood lust of the "bloody" kind. I enjoyed Dimitri in previous books - I thought him a good foil for Raphael ruthless, bad, and dangerous to cross. Here he is transformed into so brooding tragic hero - he's lost the edge of the other books. He's gone from being a very intriguing secondary character to a rather conventional romantic hero with a sad past.To be honest after one brood too many I started to get bored with him. The entire book seemed a lighter version of the earlier works - rushed with less depth. Hunter's story could have been interesting but love healing all wounds dosen't quite fit the original premise of this universe. As a romance novel it probably works well but I was looking for something with more bite like the earlier books.

3.0 out of 5 stars A little disappointed, September 11, 2011
This review is from: Archangel's Blade (Guild Hunter) (Kindle Edition)
I really wanted to like this book. But I did not. Primarily the violence between the two at the beginning was startling. Yeah I get it that Honor had some trauma but it still did not really work for me.

I do enjoy Nalini Singh's books, her Psy/Chang and Angel's Blood is my favorite Paranormal Romance. But sometimes her H/H is a little too emotionally wounded for me to enjoy. And I do not want to invest in their journey in the book. That was the biggest issue and in addition, I think that she has written much better books than this.

3.0 out of 5 stars Disappointing, but Still Solid, September 9, 2011
I desperately wanted to love this book, but unfortunately it just wasn't the case. It started out well enough, and I was really appreciating the dynamic between Dmitri and Honor. She was attracted to him, but still was weary enough to create this edge between them. Unfortunately, midway through Archangel's Blade, it devolves into the standard trope where the heroine forces the hero to confess his tragic past and tells him constantly that she knows he has inner goodness and secret pain. Which would have been fine, but this took place within many conversations that stopped the action, and slowed down the pace. There was never a sense of a push/pull with them, only of her wearing him down while he talked.

I think I still would have enjoyed the book, except for the constant flashbacks of Dmitri's first wife, Ingrede. She is depicted as beautiful, understanding, caring, loving, biddable, and everything awesome, i.e. boring. Ingrede and Dmitri's relationship came off too treacly to me. Which again, would have been fine, if not for her flashbacks interrupting every scene possible and showing how perfect she was. But I never found Ingrede interesting. At the end, I started to resent her intrusion, especially because I think it did a disservice to Honor, who does have a more interesting relationship with Dmitri.

Despite my gripes, it's still a decent read, and I would encourage everyone to buy it. It does some have some good appearances of other members of the Seven. I found Jason's short scenes to be really engaging in particular. Ultimately, though, it's not my favorite book of the Guild Hunter Series.

2.0 out of 5 stars Bloody depressing, May 7, 2012
Nalini Singh is one of my favourite writers, but this is the least enjoyable book she has written.
The male lead has been great as a secondary character in all prior books in the Guild series, but he makes no significant contribution to pleasure in this book.
The female lead is abused, sad, and lacks depth.
I didn't smile once all the way through this book.

Archangel's Blade (Guild Hunter)
$5.99