5.0 out of 5 stars A Quiet Hero
Published on September 4, 2012 by A Book Obsession..

3.0 out of 5 stars NIce predictable romance
I usually devour NS novels and though I enjoyed this book in part, I often put it down, feeling disengaged.

Published on September 5, 2012 by DeutschReader

5.0 out of 5 stars A Quiet Hero, September 4, 2012
This review is from: Archangel's Storm (Guild Hunter) (Mass Market Paperback)
As Raphael's spymaster, Jason lives his life in the shadows as he goes undercover to garner the best intel. However, his latest charge will take him out of that comfort zone and into the light. The Archangel's Neha's consort has been brutally murdered and her rage is shaking the world. Neha was already quite unstable prior to his death from the pain of losing her daughter, and if she continues on the path into madness, millions will suffer. When offered aid in finding the culprit, Neha agrees in allowing Jason to enter her lands, but only with the stipulation that he bind himself to another of her bloodline, Princess Mahiya. As Mahiya and Jason team up to find the killer along the way they find a passion for one another so unexpected that it threatens to tear apart who they each are at the core.

All of the characters in the Guild Hunter series seem to carry a plethora of scars from their pasts. Each one is damaged, but expresses it in a different way. I had always wondered what made Jason so closed off from the world as he constantly hid in shadows. Throughout the book we are given glimpses of those harrowing events, but it is the reveal later in the book that brought tears to my eyes. Such suffering he endured, it truly is amazing he was able to function at all. Granted, he has survived by completely closing off his heart to everyone, not allowing anything or anyone close at all. Even Raphael is kept at a distance despite the many years of loyalty. I really have to applaud Nalini for her ability to write Jason's character so beautifully, showing his quiet and thoughtful strength and grace. It isn't often that we get to see a non-alpha male take the spotlight making for a rather refreshing read. Don't get me wrong, nothing about Jason is weak, he just doesn't have the arrogance and outwardly brash manner that most heroes do, and honestly, I loved him all the more for it.

I really enjoyed watching the interactions between Jason and Mahiya as they developed from just acquaintances to so much more. I don't think any other woman could have been more perfect for him. Her hidden iron will intrigued him enough to draw him in, but it was her pure heart and untainted kindness in a world of horror that kept him there. It is a true testament to her strength that she wasn't long ago corrupted by her circumstances. Also, Mahiya seemed to understand Jason's needs better than he did, and was able to give him so much with asking a single demand in return. The poor man didn't stand a chance against her giving heart, and and a result may finally know love in return.

The thing I love most about this series is that is the perfect blend between Urban Fantasy and Paranormal Romance. I'm a huge romance fan, so I really enjoy having that be a larger element in my books and it is nice to have that guaranteed happy ever after in Paranormal Romances. However that happiness also frustrates me as each couple is only featured for one book and then mostly forgotten and don't hold much page time in future books. That just isn't the case in this series as each new book is completely intertwined with the previous ones only adding more to the stories, yet each one also finishes with some sort of happy romantic resolution. In fact, I am honestly in awe at Nalini's ability to ensnare me even further into this amazing world and increase my love for these characters with each new installment. Simply put, Archangel's Storm is an absolute must buy for fans of the series!

5.0 out of 5 stars Absolutely Fabulous!, September 4, 2012
This review is from: Archangel's Storm (Guild Hunter) (Mass Market Paperback)
Holy Snickerdoodles Batman! This book was fantastic. I was a little hesitant about it but I bought it because it's Nalini Singh and I love her books. The premise was intriguing but I was concerned about Jason's loyalty being divided, but no need to fret on that count! I really can't express how much I loved this book. When I finished it I started singing, swear to god, singing this: "Sweet Caroline
Good times never seem so good, so good, so good, so good" I really only sang the "so good" part, but you get the idea.

We got a look into Jason that we never have before, while staying completely true to the characterization of him present in the other novels. Sometimes authors struggle with keeping characterization of secondary characters constant when they get their own books, not so with Nalini Singh.

Mahiya was sweet, just completely sweet, there were no negative character traits for her at all. She acted with kindness and poise to everyone and everything. She didn't act spoiled, she didn't throw fits, she was a calm presence, there were absolutely no moments where I was aggravated by her.

Watching them become, well, them was great. They were both protecting themselves with shields of steel, but they each managed to slither their way in until they were indelibly entwined. I loved how Mahiya didn't push for what Jason felt he couldn't give her, she never through a fit because he told her he couldn't love her, never demanded anything from him. Everything he was, was perfect for her.
I also loved the brief insights in to Honor and Dmitri's new life, it was wonderfully written , I love seeing them together.

This book was fantastic, 5 out of 5 stars no question. Waiting a whole year for the next book (back to Raphael and Elena, yay!) is going to be tortuous.

5.0 out of 5 stars 4.5 stars - A Storm is coming, September 4, 2012
This review is from: Archangel's Storm (Guild Hunter) (Mass Market Paperback)
There is reason that Singh is one of may favorite authors, her Guild Hunter world is vividly framed but it is all of the small details that make me believe in that world of powerful, dangerous - and not always sane - winged beings and in Singh's characters who are so well drawn that they have a depth that makes them 'live'.

The story, as are the leads and the romance, in Archangel's Storm is more nuanced and subtle than some of the other Guild Hunter stories but I really enjoyed it. There is a great deal of relationship development between the two angelic leads: the highly observant and very emotionally closed off spymaster, Jason - who suffered severe emotional trauma as a child - and the also watchful Mahiya - archangel Neha's adopted daughter - who is both punished and the punishment for the betrayal by her father that led to her birth. Also very interesting is the background hunt for a murderer - which is the reason that one of Raphael's Seven is allowed access to an 'enemy' archangel's court. I liked that Singh gave enough clues to the mystery to allow the reader to figure out identity of the killer along with Jason and Mahiya.

Following this series since the beginning, I appreciated the chance to touch up with a fair number of the supporting cast that Singh has brought to life of the course of five books and several short stories. In addition to Elena and Raphael, there is just a bit of Venon here, a touch of Aodhan, a brief glimpse of Illium, and an enticing reference to Ashwini and Janvier - I am waiting for another short that finally gives them their HEA. Also given a more significant portion of page time in Archangel's Storm are past starring pair Honor and Dmitri who get an epilog to their HEA.

While in some ways it was nice to see a bit more of Honor and Dmitri - especially since there is a brief conversation that makes it clear that while Honor carries Dmitri's past wife Ingrede's soul, Honor is not Ingrede and Dmitri is in love with Honor as she is now and not just the shade of his dead wife - I thought that their side story was a distraction and I didn't feel that it really had a purpose in 'this' story. If I were to reread Archangel's Storm, I would skip their parts with the exception of the wedding at the beginning.

From a series arc perspective, Archangel's Storm gives hints of interesting things to come with a change in the archangels themselves, and I am very much looking forward to the next book which heads back to NYC and puts Elena and Raphael back in the lead (no title yet, but due out 9/2013.)

3.0 out of 5 stars NIce predictable romance, September 5, 2012
This review is from: Archangel's Storm (Guild Hunter) (Mass Market Paperback)

Maybe it was Jason's personality- he's just too closed down, distant and he remains so, not developing into that scorching hot alpha male of her other novels. Or maybe it was Mahiya- she's so accepting and accommodating and undemanding....their interactions were too careful, too, um.....sweetly perfect for me to feel really interested in them. Their romance kinda felt like an old couple doing a sedate waltz instead of a heady, sexy, tango dance.

Perhaps this romance could have been dealt with, at least "the getting to know you" stage as a secondary couple instead of the main one-over a couple of books-
it just didn't have that juiciness I've come to expect.

I've given it three stars because Ms Singh's writing is flawless, you get to continue with some of Dmitri and Honor's story, and the background setting and plot regarding Archangel Neha was fascinating.

2.0 out of 5 stars More Mystery than Paranormal Romance, September 13, 2012
bearboo2 (CA, United States) - See all my reviews
This review is from: Archangel's Storm (Guild Hunter) (Mass Market Paperback)
After reading Dimitri's story, I was really looking forward to this book, esp. as Jason is presented as such a integral part of Rapahel's seven yet almost nothing is said about him. All we know is that he is "damaged" in some way.

I still very much liked Jason- he comes across as a character of strength, fortitude, intelligence, compassion, honor and, or course, hot!

But the female lead? the woman who is supposed to "save" Jason? Ugh. BORING. There is NO chemistry between the two of them and only 2 "love scenes," if you can even call them that.

The book, though, had a very strong "who done it?" angle, much more so than any of the previous books. However, if I wanted a mystery I would read a mystery novel. I like it when there is an equal balance of romance, action and mystery

3.0 out of 5 stars SIDE CHARACTERS AWFUL, September 14, 2012
This review is from: Archangel's Storm (Guild Hunter) (Mass Market Paperback)
I realize that many may not agree with this review, but in being honest, I have to admit that I'm less interested in these side characters within the story line than I am with Raphael and his new `angel' consort/hunter who use to be human and now has wings.

Yes; I get it that the author wants to introduce other characters in her story arcs and she wants her readers to love other characters as well to give us more of a background of the world they all live in, with Archangels ruling the world...et cetera, but I just can't get over the fact that I want more of the main characters first.

5.0 out of 5 stars It lived up to my mighty expectations, September 4, 2012
I wont detail the plot because other reviewers already have, instead I just want to share my thoughts.

I have loved Jason in every scene that we met him in during the past 4 books. However I didnt know anything about the Heroine - I have to admit to extreme nerves because this book because this series is in my top 3 of ALL TIME favourites.

I needn't have worried because Nalini obviously knows just what her characters need. I was worried that the heroine would be all tough or match him as a spy. Instead she is gentle but has a core spine of steel that has allowed her to survive in Neha's court. I also realised that Jason needed to be loved, not matched by a fellow spy. Some of the scenes were just beautiful.

After putting the book down I was supremely satisfied because Nalini dares to be different. This romance is original, her alpha men are original and the overall plot of the series is sublime. So many authors start to lose the thread of their series and the villains turn into pussy cats and the series goes to hell. I know just by picking up a Nalini Singh book I am getting a quality read that the author has put 100% effort into creating the best novel and series she can before releasing it to the public.

Sorry if I seem to be going off topic but in this day and age with so many series and authors disappointing me - I look at the honour and commitment of the author just as much as the words on the page.

Thankyou Nalini Singh - authors like you keep me reading.

4.0 out of 5 stars Subdued Romance yet heart-warming story, September 6, 2012
This review is from: Archangel's Storm (Guild Hunter) (Mass Market Paperback)
My Rating: 4 stars: Enjoyed - strongly recommend (A-)

Archangel's Storm opens with the memories of Jason, one of Archangel Raphael's elite guard and his spymaster. It paints a gruesome picture of a terrifying event that shaped Jason's entire life -something that created an angel of few words and full of a fierce darkness. Once we jump forward to present day, we discover these memories constantly haunt the warrior angel, continuing to mold his persona, and therefore, this story.

Taking place immediately after the previous novel, Archangel's Blade, we find ourselves at the wedding of Dmitri (Raphael's second) and Honor (the couple were the primary focus of the last book). While at the celebration, Jason discovers that Eris, the imprisoned consort and husband of Neha, one of the Ruling Archangels known as the Cadre of Ten, has been murdered. Jason is best suited to help solve this mystery, which is necessary to prevent Neha from complete madness and the needless destruction of any territory or loss or lives.

Right from the start I was intrigued by Jason, an angel we know little about. He has a sixth sense which helps him perfect his spying skills. He also has the ability to blend in with the shadows, making him nearly invisible. Through intermittent flashbacks, we find out that Jason was loved by his parents, but something went horribly wrong when he was young, leaving him on his own. He's is an enigma and a riddle worth solving.

The same can be said of Neha's adopted daughter, the Princess Mahiya. Mahiya is Neha's niece, born of Neha's sister Nivriti, and her father is Eris (Neha's husband). Although Neha raised Mahiya as her daughter, the betrayal of her sister and husband left Neha bitter and angry. Mahiya was hated by both Neha and Eris as a reminder of past sins and the reason Eris was imprisoned for over three centuries. Yet, Mahiya is unbroken, even after decades of torment and hatred from her powerful Archangel aunt. We learn early on that instead of falling victim to Neha's mistreatment, Mahiya remains determined to find love and live free.

The pace and feel of Archangel's Storm is different than the previous books in the Guild Hunter series. However, it is reflective of the main character, Jason. He's a shadow with force - a waiting storm. Instead of focusing most of the attention on our hero and heroine falling in love, the primary storyline that drives this book is the mystery of who killed Eris (and a few others) and what motives are behind the seemingly unrelated deaths. Although I correctly guessed early on who was behind the grisly murders, I was still drawn in and unable to put the book down. And thanks to Ms. Singh ability to write in a way (sentence structure, language, prose) that just feels so sensual, the book flows beautifully -- even the violent scenes.

The romance in this story is very subdued. The first hints of any sexual attraction between Mahiya and Jason didn't even occur until after the 40% mark (according to my Kindle). But it's okay. The mystery of who is killing off angels is completely captivating. Meanwhile, Jason and Mahiya play a carefully calculated game of chess, wondering who will break first--who will gain the advantage. Neither are cruel, but both have the skills to be. That's what I love about the pair - they haven't given into the darkness that surrounds them. And I enjoyed seeing both Jason and Mahiya recognize the spark of a greater person and purpose within themselves. It's about two people on two journeys of self-discovery that are tied to one another.

One part of the book that I wasn't a big fan of is the side story of Honor and Dmitri as we follow her decision to become and begin the transition to a vampire. It is always interesting and exciting to find out what happens to favorite couples after their book ends, but in this case, their sections were disruptive to the intensity and flow of the primary storyline. I was hoping the two plots would come together in the end, but they remained as two separate stories.

I love that in the end, Jason is still Jason - no dramatic changes because he fell in love. And that Mahiya accepts this. The pair are so honest with one another. I love that both fought for goodness rather than falling into despair. It's not your typical HEA, but you know that in their way they have found "forever happy."

As I stated, the romance in this book was secondary to the murder mystery and subsequent battle. That may put off some, but I felt the romance infused the story with such subtlety that I unconsciously perceived it much of the time. The slower pace of the story resonated with the characters, and I was completely drawn into the plot. Archangel's Storm did not blaze off the pages, but its quiet influence touched my inner being.

5.0 out of 5 stars Dark, compelling, simply beautiful., September 4, 2012
Story:
Mahiya lives only half a live in Neha's court. Niece of the Indian archangel and the living reminder of her consort's betrayal. Because Mahiya's parents are none other than Neha's sister and Erin, consort to the archangel. Now, centuries later, Erin is dead and Neha, half-insane with grief and anger, threatens to release her power and destroy entire cities.
Jason, sent to her court to avert disaster, must find the murderer, but by doing so he has to prove his loyalty and bind himself to Mahiya, the archangel's only remaining blood relative.

What amazes me the most about Nalini Singh, her books and especially Archangel's Storm", the fifth installment in her "Guild Hunter" series, are her complex and original character constructions/ developments. With a lot of authors you get the feeling that they have one male or female hero type, which they then recycle for all their books. They might give them a different hair or eye color, make them taller or smaller, but in the end it's basically the same character. I've never felt like that with Nalini Singh before and I definitely haven't felt like that while reading "Archangel's Storm".
Jason and Mahiya are such appealingly flawed, complex and unique characters it was a pleasure to get to know them a little bit more with every read page. Especially Jason is such an intriguing protagonist. We didn't find out a lot about him in the previous books of the series, so I wasn't quite sure what to expect, I even had some worries that it might be too early for his own book (even though I promised never to doubt Nalini Singh again), but once again she proved to be a master of her craft. Jason stays a mystery until the end of the book, but at the same time you feel so much compassion and affection towards him. Nalini Singh did an awesome job of walking the fine line while creating his character. She manages to make him guarded, without making him appear cold, as well as give him a core of immense strength, while also showing a certain vulnerability. By the time I finished the last page of the book he was one of my favorite Singh protagonists.
Then there's Mahiya. In the beginning of the book Neha described her as a "fragile trinket" and let me just tell you: She was wrong. Due to her heritage and the circumstances of her upbringing she has honed her talent of blending into the background, so a lot of people underestimated her, even I didn't fully comprehend the extent of her courage, intelligence and determination. This heroine came as a bit of a surprise to me. A very pleasant one. She has a mature kind of innocence to her and although Neha has treated her with nothing but distaste, even cruelty, she managed to keep her core of compassion and... goodness. She didn't turn bitter, actually, she refused to turn bitter and was determined to stay true to herself. Considering what was done to her it's nothing but a miracle (at least in my opinion).

Together Jason and Mahiya were just amazing. If you've read (and enjoyed) this series up to this point then you know that Nalini Singh's romantic (and other) relationships are almost a thing of art. Her gift of translating feelings and emotions into words is incredible and she used it perfectly for Jason and Mahiya.
Jason became her protector. In a world where everybody looked down on her, while Neha did everything to crush her spirit, this black winged angel respected and acknowledged her for who she truly was. He listened to her, he cared about her opinions and step by step he started to care even more for her. Mahiya might have been extremely dependent on him, but at the same time she stood her ground and refused to accept the fact that Jason seemed to stay somehow detached from the world around him. Those two characters were so right for each other, despite or maybe because of all their differences. There were so many things standing between them, their individual pasts, obstacles thrown at them from the outside, as well as Jason's loyalty to Raphael. But still, together they became so much stronger and reading about it was simply beautiful. For me this following quote describes their relationship and interaction perfectly (this scene takes place earlier in the book, so don't worry about spoilers):

"He was beyond fascinating. Dangerous and unpredictable and frighteningly intelligent. A threat. And yet she wanted to run her finger over the blade of him even if it made her bleed, wanted to dance too close to the flame, wanted to take a risk that could destroy her."

The mystery part of the story was fascinating, to say the least. The hunt for Eris' murderer, as well as a wave of additional murders, all connected to Neha, kept things interesting, even on the non-romantic level. There were so many unexpected twists and sudden plot changes and once more, as always when it comes to Singh's plotting, I was unable to predict the outcome.

This is a haunting story, a compelling mystery plot and a love story so heartbreaking, but incredibly beautiful at the same time. The fact that I finished this book in less than a day should already tell you something. If you're a fan of the series you simply HAVE to read it. If you're new to Nalini Singh's universe, start at the beginning with "Angel's Blood", you won't regret it.
The fact that I have to wait a year for the next book in the series is heartbreaking as well. Quite some of the revelations and things that happened in this book made me hungry for more and I'm ecstatic that Elena and Raphael will be the protagonists of the next book once more.

4.0 out of 5 stars A book that fits the character! Loved it, September 5, 2012
Jason:

Oh man, but I am a sucker for brooding, alpha-male leads and Jason did not disappoint! He is the kind of man that is more comfortable in the shadows, watching and waiting for the enemy to make a wrong move before he strikes with deadly accuracy. His past has taught him never to get emotionally involved and to lock down his feelings in an impenetrable vault where no one can touch them. For all the trauma that Jason has experienced as a young boy, he isn't jaded to the point of cruelty rather it has made him sharp and focused. Singh also gives you a ton of flashbacks into his past explaining why Jason is the way he is. Oh Jason, my dark angel :)

He enters the Queen of Snake's (Poison) domain in order to prevent the world from experiencing another devastation like with Lijuan in Archangel's Kiss. With Neha's consort murdered viciously in her own palace, there is no telling if she will fly of the handle so to speak. What makes this story even more intriguing is that Eris, Neha's consort, had been virtually held prisoner for the past couple hundred years! His crime is not openly spoken throughout Neha's court for fear of her wrath and few outsiders know the details. Except for Jason of course (spy master, duh)!

His loyalty to Raphael is strong enough that he agrees to a blood-bond with the princess Mahiya despite Neha hating Raphael's guts. This bond holds Jason to the protection of the "family interests" of Neha while he is working to uncover the murderer. This means that Jason can't use his freedom of Neha's court to spy for Raphael.

Mahiya:

Mahiya was adopted by Neha (her aunt) after her mother's death, but isn't part of angel politics like her late cousin Anoushka. Her position as princess is blurry at best and her relationship with Neha is even more obscure. Mahiya has learned the value of secrets and intends to use them for her benefit. Her past may haunt her, but she is determined she will have a bright future. I honestly love her personality even though I tend to connect more with female leads like Elena. Mahiya is genuine, and by no means a damsel in distress. Even though she plays submissive and reverent, she has a fire in her that ensures you aren't going to dismiss her as useless.

I love the interaction between these two characters! Singh's method to developing her characters is flawless and one of the reasons why she is one of my favorite authors. She never strays from the character's distinct identity and knows the balance between individuality and compromise. Her characters are never in danger of making uncharacteristic decisions like I have seen in many other series. If the character changes so drastically from point A to point B, then I tend to get a little annoyed.

The Romance!

I am a firm believer in romance in all novels! I just thinks it makes it that much more visceral when a character is not only struggling with murderers, traitors, and snake queens, but also trying to keep their hormones in check. Oh man, and does Jason deliver when it comes to romance (see pg 165 - 173). Holy hell I didn't know what to do with myself when Jason broke out of the calm and collected shell of his! The romance throughout the whole novel was subtle and fit both characters. Not everyone can be Raphael (hehehe).

Plot:

The plot is a great one and gives the reader an inside look at Neha's rule and how she treats her subjects, Mahiya and Eris. One thing that I can say about Singh is that she can take you on a wild ride with enough twists and turns to keep you guessing as to the real murderer/murderers. I can't say any more on the plot for fear of giving something crucial away!

I can attest to how great this book is due to my sleep deprived state. I wasn't planning on staying up half the night, but I could never really find a good place to stop! I promise you won't want to put it down!

Archangel's Storm (Guild Hunter)
Archangel's Storm (Guild Hunter) by Nalini Singh (Mass Market Paperback - September 4, 2012)
$7.99 $5.99