5.0 out of 5 stars My father's artwork
It is wonderful to see my father's artwork receiving the recognition it so richly deserves. It is unfortunate that artists who drew comics during the golden age were unable to sign their work and receive acknowledgment during their careers.
Published on October 31, 2011 by Barbara L. Tancredi

2.0 out of 5 stars Archie: The Best of Harry Lucey Volume 1
The book's title is misleading, as is the cover artwork selected. This is not the best of Harry Lucey, and Betty & Veronica hardly appear. A better title would be Archie and Mr. Weatherbee, as he appears often. Lucey was known for his beautiful renditions of Betty & Veronica, GGA, Good Girl Art. Archie comics ads regularly featured Lucey art of Betty & Veronica in bikinis...
Published on November 28, 2011 by jreview

5.0 out of 5 stars My father's artwork, October 31, 2011
Barbara L. Tancredi (Great Neck, NY United States) - See all my reviews
This review is from: Archie: The Best of Harry Lucey Volume 1 (Hardcover)

5.0 out of 5 stars What Harry Lucey fans have been waiting for!, December 5, 2011
This review is from: Archie: The Best of Harry Lucey Volume 1 (Hardcover)
Okay, I won't speculate on what Jreview's damage is, but I can assure you that his ridiculous and indefensible 2-star review is so far off base that I suspect he was reviewing a completely different book. Here are the facts: There are 29 stories represented in this volume. Mr. Weatherbee is featured in THREE of them. Betty and Veronica appear in TWENTY of them. To say "the book should have been called Archie & Mr. Weatherbee" is flat out insane.

The ONLY point in his review that is close to accurate is that it's true there is no bikini-clad B&V cheesecake represented here. So, if that's your sole requirement then yes, you will be disappointed. But for the rest of us who love Lucey's incredible talent for energetic and expressive physical storytelling, then this what you've been waiting for! Finally, a collection of nothing but "the good Archie artist"! (I know some have differing opinions on who exactly is the "good" artist, but for me Harry Lucey produced the ONLY Archie comics I can enjoy. I've waited a LONG time for this book!)

The book is fairly inexpensive for a hardcover and the reproduction of the art is crisp. There is nothing at all to dislike here, though I agree with one of the other reviewers that a cover gallery would have been nice. Thank you IDW, I can't wait for volume two!

5.0 out of 5 stars Another great Archie volume from IDW, October 20, 2011
Chris Hiebert (Hutchinson, KS USA) - See all my reviews
This review is from: Archie: The Best of Harry Lucey Volume 1 (Hardcover)
Great story choices (although I'd rather see even more early 1960s stories, but that's just my personal preference) and beautiful art reproduction, plus a nice afterword by Victor Gorelick with a photo of Mr. Lucey. It would be hard to improve on the "Best Of" line, but maybe a cover gallery in future volumes? Let's hope IDW keeps this in print for a long time and continues this series with more volumes and more artists.

5.0 out of 5 stars Gorgeous Harry Lucey, January 27, 2013
This review is from: Archie: The Best of Harry Lucey Volume 1 (Hardcover)
Harry Lucey is in my top 5 of favorite Archie Artist. Beautiful book. Recommend this to any Archie fan of any age.

5.0 out of 5 stars My Uncle Harry, November 29, 2011
This review is from: Archie: The Best of Harry Lucey Volume 1 (Hardcover)
Harry Lucey was my uncle and I remember when he was doing the Archie series. This book gives him well deserved recognition of his talent.

5.0 out of 5 stars Harry Lucey comic, June 2, 2014
This review is from: Archie: The Best of Harry Lucey Volume 1 (Hardcover)
Loved adding this book to my comic collection. It was a pleasure to read and I read it cover to cover without putting it down

4.0 out of 5 stars classic Archie fun and frolic, March 13, 2014
This review is from: Archie: The Best of Harry Lucey Volume 1 (Hardcover)
As a longtime fan of artist Harry Lucey, I anxiously awaited this volume. Readers of the Archie digests in the 1970s were usually treated to a Harry Lucey story in the beginning of the books and occasional stories sprinkled throughout. The choices herein were inspired. The only reason I gave the book four stars was that the book was just too short! I understand they are saving more for volume two but a couple more stories would have been nice.

4.0 out of 5 stars A Work of Art, January 25, 2012
Steven Alpert (Boynton Beach, FL USA) - See all my reviews
This review is from: Archie: The Best of Harry Lucey Volume 1 (Hardcover)
Bought a bunch of these IDW Best Of series and I am delighted with their production quality. Stunningly sharp and colorful, and in particular, the art of Harry Lucey is equally delightful. Harry Lucey displays a unique personality and charm in these drawings that even Dan DeCarlo does not better. I think that the oversized reproduction adds a lot of punch to the overall effect of viewing and reading these books and was a great decision by IDW, while the glossy, high quality paper, a perfect vehicle for it. I hope to see many more volumes in the Harry Lucey volumes. I would have given five stars if there was more in the book to say about the artist, his history doing Archie comics and such, which would make it more than what it is: a nostalgic, drop-dead gorgeous reproduction of art and story from a past generation.

5.0 out of 5 stars The Hipster Spies With His Little Eye----Happy Nostalgia, December 27, 2011
The Mystic Eye Of The Hipster (Murfreesboro, TN United States) - See all my reviews
This review is from: Archie: The Best of Harry Lucey Volume 1 (Hardcover)
My late Mother collected Archie comics in the 50s, and used her much-read-and-tattered Archies to teach me to read.

And I loved every minute of it!

Harry Lucey's art bring joy to the eye, and to the heart.

The stories recorded herein do likewise.

For $16+ change...this is a bargain.

The Hipster gives it a *Thumbs Up*!

5.0 out of 5 stars Classic Archie comics in a very classy package, December 7, 2011
----------------------------------------------------------
"Archie: The Best of Harry Lucey, v.1"
Edited by Craig Yoe
Illustrated by Harry Lucey
(IDW Books, 2011)
----------------------------------------------------------
When folks think of the great Archie Comics illustrators, Dan DeCarlo (the Da Vinci of good-girl art) comes to mind, perhaps followed by '40s/'50s originator Bob Montana. But Harry Lucey -- one of the prime artists drawing the strip through the late 1950s through the early '70s, back when Archie looked good -- is often overlooked. I'm still a Dan DeCarlo man, but it was cool to learn about Lucey (as well as their contemporary Samm Schwartz, who is the subject of another collection...) And these hardback IDW books are AMAZING, setting the standard for high-class reissue books. Mucho affordable, too! As many volumes as IDW will publish, I will buy. (DJ Joe Sixpack, ReadThatAgain book reviews)

Archie: The Best of Harry Lucey Volume 1
Archie: The Best of Harry Lucey Volume 1 by Various (Hardcover - October 18, 2011)
$24.99 $19.15