Amazon.com: Customer Reviews: Archie's Weird Mysteries - The Complete Series
Automotive Deals HPCC Amazon Fashion Learn more Discover it Jake Owen Fire TV Stick Health, Household and Grocery Back to School Handmade school supplies Shop-by-Room Amazon Cash Back Offer CafeSociety CafeSociety CafeSociety  Amazon Echo  Echo Dot  Amazon Tap  Echo Dot  Amazon Tap  Amazon Echo Starting at $49.99 All-New Kindle Oasis AutoRip in CDs & Vinyl Segway miniPro

Format: DVD|Change

27. The Day the Earth Moved
28. Dance of the Killer Bees
29. Extra Terror-estrial
30. Big Monster on Campus
Bonus: Mona the Vampire - Creatures from the Bathroom Drain/Mona and the Werewolf

Disc 4
37. Teen Out of Time
38. Invasion of the Cockroaches
39. The Incredible Shrinking Teens
40. Little Chock'lit Shoppe of Horrors
66 comments| 67 people found this helpful. Was this review helpful to you?YesNoReport abuse
on April 30, 2012
I don't remember the show, but I am a huge fan of Archie comics, & purchased the DVD due to the comics. If you love Archie comics you will love this DVD for the price, 40 episodes are a steal!!! I prefer this DVD instead of the classic Archie cartoons since I started reading Archie Comics in the 90s. The difference from the comics & this DVD is that all the episodes are weird mystery based, which is new for me, as opposed to the usual Archie, Betty & Veronica love triangle. The characters still have the same personalities which is nice to see. Get this DVD it won't disappoint!!!
I never even heard of Archie's Weird Mysteries (1999-2000) until I won several DVDs through a blog giveaway in which one of the DVDs was Best of Archies Weird Mysteries with the first 10 episodes.

The series basically re-imagines some of the great 50s Scifi and horror movies with Archie and the gang investigating the strange happenings in Riverdale. After watching the first ten episodes, I wanted to watch the rest of the series.

Luckily, I found it on Amazon for under ten dollars. There are four discs with 10 episodes on each. Disc one has a bonus episode from Sabrina: The Animated Series; disc two has a bonus episode from Sabrina's Secret Life; and disc three has a bonus from Mona the Vampire.

Overall, I'm more than happy with purchase.
VINE VOICEon February 1, 2013
I'm reluctant to give this set five stars, as I think some viewers would instantly cavil. But I must say I found watching it extremely enjoyable. That apart, it's an whopping good deal: 40 episodes for under ten bucks. The four one-sided discs are held within the case in black paper sleeves, but this economical approach works and is safe for the discs. This was a DIC series dating from 1999, and the set also includes bonus episodes of Mona the Vampire, Sabrina's Secret Life, and Sabrina: The Animated Series, which was produced by Savage Steve Holland of Eek the Cat fame. However, in these series, Sabrina is a pre-teen, which is odd. A free Archie's Weird Mysteries comic book was given out in 1999 for Free Comic Book Day in which Archie asks Sabrina why she seems to be about twelve years old, instead of sixteen, as when she originated in Archie's Mad House comics The Best of Archie's Mad House. So what about the series?

Archie's Weird Mysteries is quite different from the Filmation cartoons of the '60s The Archie Show: The Complete Series,Sabrina the Teenage Witch - The Complete Animated Series, which already veered somewhat from the comic books. But there've been a lot of changes in the comics as well since the '40s. I was curious about the Weird Mysteries series, which almost seems like Archie meets Scooby Do, but it's really rather clever. It's the stuff of which "B" movies are made, and they have that sort of story arc. Most episodes are self-contained but two three-parters rev back up on the fourth disc. As for the characters, Veronica is played a bit too arch, and there aren't enough shenanigans from Reggie. Jughead, however, comes into his own. For some reason, Archie's red jalopy has been replaced by a red sports car.

The writing seems more like comics than cartoons. The dialogue is endlessly fascinating and witty, with parallels between the normal life of Riverdale's teens and the science-fiction happenings overtaking the town. For some reason, the shows open with a melodramatic summary of the upcoming adventure and are bookended at the end with Archie writing his "Weird Mysteries" newspaper column. An odd format, but it works, owing to the skillful writers. Archie and his friends are so personable and individual that they can take on such novel terrain. No wonder after half a century they're still going strong.
on May 19, 2012
This is a great collection! If you enjoy fun cartoons then you should pick this up. Enjoy watching archie and all his palls come across some weird things in their hometown and the ways they go about trying to solve the mysteries behind them. Lighthearted and funny this series will keep you very entertained. The dvd quality is amazing. The picture looks great and this series is very colorful.
on May 12, 2012
I have been a huge Archie fan my entire life. I watched Archie's Weird Mysteries when it was on TV and when I couldn't find a digital version online I came to Amazon. For about six dollars this dvd set is a steal! Just buy it, it's great. The video quality is very good, looked great on my 40" lcd. The dvd's are in paper/cellophane slip covers and all stack into a retainer in the dvd case. I've never seen anything like it, but they are stored securely.
on June 30, 2012
I didn't see Archie's Weird Mysteries back when it ran originally. I think I first discovered this show maybe around a year or two ago (in 2010 or 2011 for you down the road people in future years) on the CW. I only caught a few episodes of it, but from what I could tell it seemed to be an entertaining enough cartoon. Definitely not one that shoved stupidity at the expense of being actually entertaining down your throat like some shows.

Archie's Weird Mysteries follows the traditional cast from Archie's Comics--Archie, Jughead, Betty, Veronica, and Reggie. However, this show takes a more supernatural and sci-fi spin than Archie Comics do. Here we have the gang living in Riverdale and each episode finds the characters dealing with strange things threatening Riverdale. These include a giant potato alien trying to turn people into potatoes, a genie who will destroy Riverdale if three wishes are granted, an Egyptian mummy who doesn't like having pictures of him taken, and more.

All the characters are pretty much the same as their comic counterpart. Here though, Archie runs an article in the paper called the titular "Archie's Weird Mysteries" and at the end of each episode he writes about what a character or everyone learned through the episode's experience.

The animation is pretty well done and is traditionally drawn. By that I mean it's 2D instead of CGI or the like. Which I definitely think this show benefits from that. I think a CGI version of this show just wouldn't have had the same charm.

I haven't watched all the episodes yet but currently I'm on the second disc. So far there hasn't been an episode that I've really disliked. On the flip side, the show doesn't seem to be terribly continuity concerned. There will be episodes where a character or characters will clearly witness something not normal by our standards but in the next episode will conveniently forget it happened.

One example is Archie. In the first episode, Archie clearly witnesses a UFO and alien and people apparently remember what happened during the episode after the event was over. In another episode that dealt with different aliens, Archie acts like this was the first time he ever saw aliens. Another character witnesses clear supernatural events and come next episode, anything "weird" that the show deals with is nothing more than a silly affair or something.

Not a big deal but just something I noticed repeatedly happen.

The only special features I've noticed this set comes with is several episodes of two other cartoons. Neither of which I could less about seeing, to be honest. But one is the old Sabrina the Teenage Witch cartoon (not the live action one with Melissa Joan Hart) and some show about a girl vampire.

The biggest question I had with this boxset is how they packaged the discs themselves. Looking at the box, it's such a nice case and then you open it up and the four discs just in papery slip cases. Not a big deal either but something I wondered why they didn't just spend a little more on something a little better.

All in all, a good show worth the few dollars. I enjoy the show a lot.
on February 23, 2013
I saw this and was intrigued. I didn't know this series existed. If you like the Archie comics, you should be good with this as well. Picture quality and color is great. 40 episodes - the complete series. Well worth the money I spent.
VINE VOICEon January 29, 2013
Archie's Weird Mysteries is sort of a mix between Harvey comics' "Archie" and Scooby Doo with Archie and the gang getting by with all sorts of odd paranormal things happening, like students turning invisible, werewolves reported on lover's lanes, strange shops selling odd items etc.

They are fun but typical of Harvey products I'd say this is aimed at a slightly younger audience than was Scooby Doo because each mystery has a moralistic lesson packed in, like don't be greedy/keep your promises/to be obsessed etc. Realizing this lesson doesn't solve the mystery but it does tell the teen responsible "look what happened because of X" and this gets just a little trite after a while.

Over all this is good fun at a low cost, if you like paranormal cartoons and is particularly smaller for younger kids you don't want to be too creeped out.
Enough's been said about the contents of this set, so I'd just like to focus on the bargain that this represents. This is the ENTIRE SERIES for well under a ten dollar bill! You can't get in to see one movie for that price anymore. The color is crisp and the shows look absolutely brand new. There's even a bit of Sabrina the Teenage Witch here. All in all, this is a great collection to have on hand for Archie fans. I used a copy of this set as a Halloween present for a five year old instead of candy, and it was very well appreciated. I love watching it, myself.