Customer Discussions > The New Yorker forum

Get Online Archive Access with Kindle New Yorker subscription?

Sort: Oldest first | Newest first
Showing 1-25 of 31 posts in this discussion
Initial post: Jun 8, 2011 9:32:05 AM PDT
I am ticked off that a Kindle subscription to The New Yorker does NOT include access to The New Yorker's online archives. What's up with that? The subscription price is about the same as a hardcopy subscription, bearing in mind that TNY saves on postage and paper, and access to the online archives comes with an iPad subscription to TNY. WHY CAN'T KINDLE SUBSCRIBERS GET ONLINE ARCHIVE ACCESS WITH THEIR KINDLE SUBSCRIPTION TO THE NEW YORKER?

Posted on Jul 8, 2011 9:19:26 AM PDT
Cristiano says:
I have the same complaint here, I thought this would be a no brainer but I am not finding a way to do it. Has anybody been able to get this working?

In reply to an earlier post on Jul 8, 2011 9:25:05 AM PDT
I talked to The New Yorker staff and they said that because the subscription is directly through AMAZON and not TNY (we pay AMAZON and not TNY), no archive access is included. iPad users subscribe directly through TNY, and therefore get archive access with their TNY subscriptions. I also talked to AMAZON by phone and made them aware of my dissatisfaction and they said they'd make a note of it and would see what they can do.

Posted on Jul 14, 2011 1:04:03 PM PDT
I was just about to purchase this subscription for my kindle but without the archive access i think ill go the print route again or maybe even buy an ipad. As soon as this can be sorted out, i will purchase a subscription for my kindle. Amazon, please get us archive access.

Posted on Aug 27, 2011 5:31:33 PM PDT
Randa Fayez says:
I agree; this limitation is quite infuriating.

Posted on Sep 19, 2011 2:18:34 AM PDT
Mark Twain says:
I use an iPad, not a Kindle and the iPad New Yorker has real problems. The navigation has improved significantly (early versions of the app were like playing with your food to try to navigate). Graphics are great. All cartoons are present and can be viewed separately -- a wonderful improvement over the print edition.

The problem with the iPad app is that even with fast wifi, it takes 20-30 minutes to download an issue and it locks up your iPad for all other use. Seriously annoying, because when you want to read, you want to read -- not download. So I am looking at a Kindle!

In reply to an earlier post on Nov 16, 2011 8:09:15 PM PST
The newsstand feature in iOS 5 has the New Yorker app download new issues automatically in the background.

Posted on Nov 22, 2011 9:13:49 AM PST
JJB DC says:
I got the New Yorker app for the Fire and love it's look. Formatting is tight, highly readable, and I really like the multimedia add-ons, plus the fact that the cartoons, in addition to being placed within text, are also collected into a gallery. I've downloaded two issues. Yesterday, for the first time I tried to read one of the two issues on the subway and got a message from the app that I didn't have an internet connection -- not a surprise since the Kindle only connects via wi-fi. But why should I need an internet connection to read a downloaded issue? Anyone else experience this? I call TNY's digital support line and they said it should work and haven't received any other complaints as yet.

In reply to an earlier post on Nov 22, 2011 3:36:21 PM PST
[Deleted by the author on Nov 27, 2011 10:29:40 AM PST]

In reply to an earlier post on Nov 22, 2011 3:37:21 PM PST
Same thing here in LA today. I'm going to email Amazon, but I suspect it's something they are doing on purpose. Just another strike against the Fire.

Posted on Nov 27, 2011 10:06:02 AM PST
Englishboy says:
In the Kindle Fire edition, are all the short stories (fiction) also included as bonus audio?

Posted on Dec 26, 2011 10:04:05 AM PST
So, did you all get this email:

Hello,

Because you are a subscriber to the Kindle edition of The New Yorker, we would like to inform you of a price change. Effective December 16, 2011, the price of the Kindle edition of The New Yorker has changed to $5.99/month for new subscribers.

As an existing subscriber to The New Yorker you will continue to be billed at the previous rate of $2.99/month until June 16, 2012, after which you will be billed at the new rate of $5.99/month. On or before that date, your Amazon account will be enabled to receive access to The New Yorker on other platforms for as long as you remain an active subscriber to the Kindle edition. This includes access to The New Yorker app on Kindle Fire and other tablets and also unrestricted Web access at newyorker.com, which includes the magazine's complete archive back to 1925.

You are free to cancel your subscription at any time. If you are still in the free trial period of your subscription you will not be charged, otherwise you will receive a prorated refund for the unused portion of your subscription. To change or cancel a subscription, please visit http://www.amazon.com/manageyourkindlesubscriptions.

Best regards,
The Amazon Kindle Team

@$5.99 per month, that's $71.88 per year, more than the paper subscription. BAH.

In reply to an earlier post on Dec 26, 2011 5:18:46 PM PST
No.

Posted on Dec 29, 2011 4:33:05 AM PST
Mercedes Paz says:
I did get that email that Alicia Gifford quoted. Does that mean that we have access to the online archive ("unrestricted Web access at newyorker.com, which includes the magazine's complete archive back to 1925")?? If so, does anyone know how to access it?

In reply to an earlier post on Dec 29, 2011 9:03:17 AM PST
It seems online access to the archives is not yet available with the Kindle subscription. According to the email, online access will become available after the price hike, in June??? I just checked the site and they're still saying that online access to the archives is not available to Kindle subscribers. The question is: why pay nearly $30 MORE per year for a Kindle subscription? That's what it will be at the new price. Not a good move.

In reply to an earlier post on Dec 29, 2011 9:08:47 AM PST
Mercedes Paz says:
Yes, you're right, it looks like we'll have online access only after the price increase.
In my case, I live outside the US, so the Kindle subscription will still be cheaper that having the printed issue sent overseas. The price hike hurts a lot, though.

Posted on Jan 10, 2012 7:45:05 AM PST
I'm so happy to find this forum. I received the email referenced above and decided that if I have access online, I would at least give it a try even though the price has jumped 100% (not 50% as referenced above!) but I just went online to see about access and don't seem to have or be able to achieve access. Now I know why. I have a Kindle subscription to The Times which includes online access that works great. I logged in one time and now am automatically logged in every time I open my browser. If I can get the print version (which is supposed to include the online access) for the same price as Kindle, I'll switch before June.

Posted on Apr 1, 2012 8:18:31 PM PDT
AC says:
I have a question -- I am looking at back issues of the new yorker on my kindle and some have a "keep" and others have a "!" -- I am afraid to touch anything as i want to keep them all....cannot find any info on users manual. any help appreciated. thanks

In reply to an earlier post on Apr 3, 2012 3:48:04 PM PDT
AC, I'm not positive, but it seems you've opted to 'keep' some issues, and the issues with the ! are about to be eliminated. I believe that TNY issues stay on the Kindle up to 6 issues (something like that) and then they're eliminated unless you "keep" them. I think when an issue is about to be eliminated from the Kindle, it gets an exclamation point.

Posted on Jun 20, 2012 2:34:40 PM PDT
I just spoke with Customer service and it turns out that the additional access with the price increase is only available for the Kindle Fire. According to the rep I spoke to, "that was the deal that was made" apparently.

In reply to an earlier post on Jun 21, 2012 8:23:28 AM PDT
This makes me think that those of us who were early Kindle purchasers are being left out in the cold. I'm on my second one but I think I may stop purchasing anything from Amazon and find another vender for my reading material.

Posted on Jun 22, 2012 2:29:48 PM PDT
Good news! I just got a call from customer service (followed by an email) saying that the service WILL be available for non "Fire" users as well. They seem to be just delayed in their upgrade and some of their reps were unaware. I'm so glad they called to let me know.

In reply to an earlier post on Jun 22, 2012 2:32:11 PM PDT
That's great news, Gillian! I was ready to cancel my Kindle NYer subscription. I wonder how and when, though.

Posted on Jul 23, 2012 9:27:13 PM PDT
I just signed up for a Kindle NYer subscription, how do I get access digital access on the NYer website?

In reply to an earlier post on Jul 29, 2012 4:39:41 PM PDT
Orpheus says:
Did you ever figure out how to do this? I'm also a plain old fashioned Kindle user with a New Yorker subscription, and I'd like to know how to get access to the web archive, if we can. Thanks!
‹ Previous 1 2 Next ›
[Add comment]
Add your own message to the discussion
To insert a product link use the format: [[ASIN:ASIN product-title]] (What's this?)
Prompts for sign-in

This discussion

Discussion in:  The New Yorker forum
Participants:  17
Total posts:  31
Initial post:  Jun 8, 2011
Latest post:  Nov 16, 2013

New! Receive e-mail when new posts are made.
Tracked by 15 customers

Search Customer Discussions
This discussion is about
The New Yorker
The New Yorker by The New Yorker
3.0 out of 5 stars   (247)