Archos 101 G9 8GB - Classic
Price:$99.25 + $8.24shipping

on January 6, 2012
Verified Purchase
Archos is providing a good product at low price. My intial experience was little sad on this product, first of look is very plastic and all the joints having sufficient visible gaps. Aesthetic not attractive.

On performance side intially its very slow also its crashes very often. Android market was not working that you can not install the applications.

But all these has made OK after updating the firmware. Now machine is very stable.

Touch screen is very nice and animations, kinetic flow,animations all are very nice.

Camera is hope less, and its wrost than a normal mobile camera.

Kick stand is very useful and machine is little bulky to carry.

GPS software is not available on it other thatn online google maps.

NDrive is not compatibile on it. Sygic Navigation will work on it.

May be i had so much expectations on it and its served only 75% of it.

BUt over all considering the amount I spent for it makes me to :-)

anything more you want to know from it write to me sachariyajose@gmail.com, becuase i coudnt see any review on amazon on this product with sufficient details when I bought it.
22 commentsWas this review helpful to you?YesNoSending feedback...
on March 3, 2012
Verified Purchase
Got it for a remarkably low $230.99 delivered here on Amazon, plus it arrived in 2 days! After I unboxed it and charged it up, I stepped through the Archos Wizard setup which includes wifi settings. It showed "connected" to my WPA-2 router but it would not communicate. Archos tech support- less than a minute on hold- was very helpful in explaining that the 101 G9 sometimes has issues with WPA security. After resetting my security to the less secure WEP standard, it hooked right up.

I downloaded the February 2012 Archos Android 3.2.1 update and it loaded without any problem; After that it was smooth sailing all the way! I find it to be a fast tablet of decent quality that does everything as advertised. Other reviews mentioned poor build quality, but I don't agree. Every fit & finish detail about it appears well executed.

I've only owned it for a day, but based on the overall very positive experience I think it's a keeper. The only reason it didn't get 5 stars is the WPA issue.

I will post an update if it turns out to have problems; if you don't see any updates from me "no news is good news"...
11 commentWas this review helpful to you?YesNoSending feedback...
on January 26, 2012
Verified Purchase
This tablet has several nice features including the add on 3G card. Quality, both in the feel of the product and in the fact that the unit I received had a problem: The edge of the touch screen on the logo side kept thinking someone was touching it and would, by itself press the back button or whatever functionality was at that location.
22 commentsWas this review helpful to you?YesNoSending feedback...
on February 2, 2012
I agree with a couple of the reviews here. The product:

- feels cheap and is ugly-looking
- the kickstand is very handy
- computing power is ok, making it a good match if you plan to use it for media-playing, browsing and not too demanding videogames.
- the screen does give problems. I had to send mine back because the touchscreen would stop working randomly and the emergency restore functions would not work at all.

But the real deal breaker is customer support.

For starters, their website will ask you to choose the country you are in and force on you the local language of that country. The translation in any language other than French are awful and incomprehensible.

More important, their return procedure is complicated and nonsensical. For example, you are forbidden from sending the product back in the original box. Of course it's the same box THEY used to send the product TO you, but they make you sign a contract (that you have to send back with the parts to be repaired) which explicitly states YOU can't use it. So you have to buy new packaging just to ship the product back.

Moreover, you can only contact "customer support" about a registered product. This means that if the website is convinced you don't have a registered product, even though you do (and you know you do because if you try to register it again you'll fail) you can't even contact them to TELL them that the website is not working. Unless of course you want to call their customer support phone at one million euros per minute, which I didn't do.

Then, let's get to the actual support. If you manage to actually get the filled in online form across to them (no email address), they will send you an automated response saying something along the line "we'll get back to you in two days". So you wait, and surprise surprise, they don't. I wrote to them three times now over the course of a month, and the only answer I ever got was a generic two liner with a four pages contract to read and sign (the one you have to send back with the product to protect THEIR interests... beginning to see a pattern here?).

Unhelpful and unprofessional, they demonstrated no interest in me as a customer. Unless I paid extra, of course, but the point is, if I wanted to pay extra why would I buy a cheap tablet? I wouldn't. Archos, you are a bad dog.

When I get my tablet back, IF I ever do, I will use it until it breaks again and then throw it away, but surely I won't put myself ever again through the humiliating process of explaining myself to a wall (aka "ARCHOS' customer service").
on June 13, 2013
I purchased an Archos 10.1 G9. I got it set with apps/programs and accessories and then gave it to my daughter for her birthday. It has a nice display and has connection options which are nice. The mini-usb plug seems flimsy which may have just been the one I received. In all, reasonably happy going in for the money spent.

The problem started after she had used it for 6-8 weeks when the battery stopped accepting a charge. As I said, it may have been the mini-USB plug on the device I received was poorly installed (not sure). Once I worked through Archos' service process, they sent me a new charger cord to verify it was not due to a bad charger. They then approved me to send the device in for troubleshooting and service has stopped since then.

Their site says to allow 2-3 weeks for processing. At this time, they have had my device for close to 11 weeks and are not being responsive as to the status. They have twice told me to expect my device back in a short period of time.

Bottom line is that the device seems reasonbly good for the money as long as you don't have any issues with it that you would need to send it in for repair through Archos. I think I am going to get my daughter a different tablet and use this one myself so she doesn't have to deal with this horrible service any longer and I will never purchase an Archos product again.
on January 19, 2012
First time: GPS didn't work. It would have difficulty getting a strong enough signal from the satellite, sometimes no signal at all (even in the same location). I returned it for a replacement.

Second time: The virtual back button got stuck. No matter what I tried to do, the tablet wanted to backup into the previous screen. This made the tablet unusable. I contacted Archos tech support via on-line chat. They recommended I update the firmware. The firmware update caused a complete reset of the tablet. Now when it powers up, it won't get past the first configuration screen because the back button is still stuck.

Third time: GPS didn't work and tablet had difficulty switching from landscape to portrait. The tablet also had problems determining which side was up. I would be on the tablet and all of a sudden the screen would be upside down.

I gave up after the third time. Got a refund.

Pitty. This tablet has more features than any other tab in its price range. It would be a really good deal if it worked properly.

Conclusion: Don't buy this tab. :-(
33 commentsWas this review helpful to you?YesNoSending feedback...
on July 6, 2013
I've had this for a year, and it is hands-down the worst electronics product I've purchased in the past 10 years. Firmware was buggy from the start under Android ICS, and it has only gotten worse with Jelly Bean. Runs SLOW 90 percent of the time. Like to load you tablet up with apps? Forget it. Check the Archos forums for threads describing how installing anything beyond the bare-bones OEM apps means that the performance grinds to a halt. Archos's response to all these problems? To announce on Facebook that there will be no more firmware updates for this device that is one year old. I was prompted to write this review because the screen is now going bad, despite the extremely light use this tablet has gotten in the past 12 months. Stay away from this and other Archos products. Their support is non-existent, and their quality control is laughable. If you want to over-pay for a tablet that will be little more than a paperweight, this is your product.
on March 22, 2013
I agree with everything written negatively about this pad in all the reviews thus far. To recap, it locks up frequently, letters stick as you are typing, it shuts off automatically and reboots, customer support doesn't exist, the camera is ridiculous as there is no peep hole to see what you are picturing, etc. My husband bought this as a Christmas gift for me in Dec 2012 from P.C. Richards. I needed something with which to check emails instead of having to run to the computer in the basement. The pad has been a headache from the get go. The firmware updates don't do much. I will tolerate this machine until it fries itself. I should have returned it and gotten something else!!! Buyer beware!!!
on November 4, 2013
Has some very impressive features that impressed me but the one I purchased was not very durable.
I bought one for my college son as a B'day gift and it developed a very small under screen crack in one corner after about a month. Unfortunately we bought it when there was no unit on display and could not tell from the carton picture how the thin plastic case can flex. Should have taken it back to the store rather then take a chance with it. When we opened the carton my wife (who also wanted to get a tab) was right. She thought it was a bit flimsy as a 10" tab for her when she looked at it. I am glad that we did not get a second one. So an extended warranty that I did not get that covers the screen is a must !. When I compare this Archos to my higher priced Asus Tablet ( which I even dropped once without any problem) I can seen the quality difference is significant. Make sure you handle this unit first before deciding to buy. You need to see it OUT of the carton. The device warranty does not cover screen damage or much else and the rude customer service replied "they do not just crack on their own". So unprofessional and No possibility of a production flaw ???
If the quality is not there then it apparently cannot deal with anything more then kids glove treatment at home. Not built to carry in anything that it gets even slightly bumped. Even with a protective case which my son had on the device the screen still developed a small crack UNDER the clear plastic screen which spreads.
I tried to contact one of the Company VP's afgter the rude CS experience and I never heard back.

Did not have it long enough to test all the nice features it boasts and would not pay the $ 88.00 to get it fixed.
I decided it would be better for me to bite the bullet and take the loss rather then sink more $'s . Better to replace the B'day gift with a better quality unit that will last such as Asus or Samsung. One that he can leave the house with. If you do take the chance and buy this Archos...get the extended warranty to cover any quality issues.

PS...bought my wife the ASUS Memo Pad which she got to try at the store and loves it. No future Archos in my lifetime.
11 commentWas this review helpful to you?YesNoSending feedback...
on March 11, 2012
Verified Purchase
First off, the seller who sold me this sent me an open box item. The factory seals were broken and the seller put a white piece of tape on it which said "warranty control seal." Yea, that makes it better. Anyways, I opened the unit and from right out of the box it had an issue. Big surprise from an open unit. It constantly was hitting the back button like someone was pressing on it. After a cold reboot it behaved. The screen is no IPS, but also doesn't really compare to the acer TFT. You can actually see the pixel grid lines on the archos, but you cant on the acer. The unit isn't bad and has a lot of features and for the money paid is basically as expected. I think though you will be happier if you spend another 100 and get something like the asus transformer with an IPS screen like I did.

See 1 answered question