With its high-resolution, 8-inch display, the ARCHOS 80 G9 tablet is perfectly designed to give presentations, read e-magazines and e-books, or browse the web. It's powered under the hood by a 1.5 GHz Texas Instruments OMAP4 multi-core ARM Cortex A9 processor--which gives you up to 50 percent faster performance than the Nvidia Tegra 2 processor found in many tablets. It also runs Android 4.0 (aka, Ice Cream Sandwich), which is specially designed and optimized for tablets.
The ARCHOS 80 G9 with the tablet-optimized Android 4.0 Ice Cream Sandwich operating system (see larger image
With a Wi-Fi connection, you'll be able to connect to the Web to check e-mail, stream media, and more. And thanks to support for Adobe Flash 11, you'll enjoy a full Web experience plus access to Google's suite of Mobile applications and the constantly growing number of apps in Google Play.
Connect the 80 G9 to your compatible HDTV via the HDMI output to share the Android experience--not only video playback, but also 3D games, photos, and all apps. Other features include 8 GB of internal storage with additional expansion via microSD memory cards (sold separately), wide compatibility with video and music file formats, front-facing camera for video chats, Bluetooth connectivity, GPS for navigation and location-based services, and a built-in leg stand for viewing comfort.
Android 4.0 Ice Cream Sandwich OS
Built-in stand for comfortable viewing of apps and multimedia (see larger image
The Android 4.0 "Ice Cream Sandwich" (ICS) operating system is specially designed and optimized for tablets, giving you a full web experience for on-the-go web browsing, communication, and applications. It builds on the things people love most about Android--faster web browsing, easy multitasking, rich notifications, customizable home screens, resizable widgets, and enhanced social media integration. Additionally, ICS adds powerful new ways of communicating and sharing with improved text input and spell checking, a dynamic voice input engine, enhanced imaging capabilities, and a redesigned Gallery app with photo editor.
The ARCHOS 80 G9 tablet comes with several unique built-in add-ons to ICS, including full 1080p support for most video codecs, automatic download of movie and TV show descriptions and subtitles, wireless sharing to a compatible DLNA HDTV, and 3D video support for MKV3D files. Additional features include an optimized File Manager with full drag and drop support, Ethernet USB dongle support, and the ARCHOS remote control application that allows your tablet to be controlled by any Android device.
Here's a sampling of some of the key features in Android 4.0:
- Multitasking management made easy: Just a swipe of the finger is all it takes to manage your running tasks, notifications, applications, and web browser.
- Improved Web browsing experience: Hopping on an airplane? Now you can save your favorite web pages and read them offline.
- Home screen folders: Easily create and group your apps and shortcuts. Just drag one app onto another and you can build custom folders for increased accessibility.
- Improved voice to text input: Composing emails has never been easier. With the new “open microphone” experience you can easily dictate the desired text. You can also speak continuously and for prolonged periods of time.
- New camera capabilities: Take full panoramic pictures with a single motion, and also add fun effects to videos as they shoot, by choosing from different effects such as big eyes, or big mouth.
Ultra-fast processor for excellent 3D gaming (see larger image
Increased Speed and Power
The ARCHOS 80 G9 tablet is powered by a 1.5 GHz OMAP 4 smart multi-core processor from Texas Instruments. By combining the power of the OMAP 4 smart multi-core processor with Android 4.0 ICS, multitasking has never been smoother. You can switch between your open apps at the flick of a finger or close them with a simple swipe. Even with dozens of open web pages or flash videos, your ARCHOS G9 tablet has the power under the hood to handle it all with ease.
As most films and most encoding software use the H.264 High Profile codec for full HD 1080p videos, it's important to be able to read them smoothly. ARCHOS G9 tablets with the powerful Texas Instruments OMAP 4 multi-core processor are able to read H.264 High Profile in Full HD 1080p smoothly and easily.
Thanks to the powerful dual-core processor, your the 80 G9 tablet is able to run the latest 3D games for Android. With thousands of free and paid-for games available to download from Google Play, you can turn your 80 G9 into your portable games console.
GPS for directions and geolocalization features (see larger image
Whether it's through the custom-made Gmail or social network apps, the ARCHOS 80 G9 tablet is your window to your world. The 80 G9 comes with BriefMe preinstalled, letting you gather all your social network and RSS feeds in one place, grouped into categories. And it even brings a widget to give you all your latest news from the Android home screen.
With the HD 720p front camera, you can use your 80 G9 tablet for video calling using the Google Talk application--whether it is one to one video chat with an Android Smartphone or a PC or multiple video chat via a Google+ Huddle.
A Media Experience Like No Other
The built-in Archos multimedia apps give you the option to browse your music and videos from automatically organized multimedia libraries. With film and TV series metadata automatically downloaded, even your video files are automatically organized by title, actor, director, year, season, episode, etc. And the 80 G9 is able to decode Full HD (H.264 HP, 1080p) videos and with massive codec, format and subtitle support.
Streaming media from your PC or Mac is included as standard in the ARCHOS multimedia apps. Using UPnP and Samba protocols, streaming or downloading music and video from your computer to your G9 tablet is easy.
You'll always have a movie to watch, a song to listen to, a game to play, or a picture to view thanks to the 8 GB of internal storage. You can add more space using optional microSD memory cards for up to an additional 32 GB of storage (sold separately).
- Operating system: Android 4.0 Ice Cream Sandwich
- Display: 8-inch capacitive multitouch screen (1024 x 768 pixels)
- Processor: 1.5 GHz OMAP 4 smart multi-core ARM CORTEX A9; 3D Open GL (ES 2.0)
- Storage capacity: 8 GB flash memory
- Memory expansion: MicroSD memory cards (up to 32 GB in size)
- Wireless connectivity: Wireless-N Wi-Fi (802.11b/g/n), Bluetooth 2.1
- Audio: Built-in speakers and microphone
- Web camera: Front facing with 720p encoding
- Power source: Internal lithium polymer battery
- Updates: Device automatically downloads latest firmware updates when the Wi-Fi connection is activated; can also be downloaded via archos.com
- Dimensions: 8.9 x 6.11 x 0.46 inches
- Weight: 17 ounces
- Video playback: MPEG-42 HD (up to 1080p); MPEG-42 (ASP@L5 AVI, up to DVD resolution); H.264 HD (HP@L4.2, up to 1080p@30 fps and 1080i/720p@60 fps)*
- Subtitles: srt, .ssa, .smi, .sub formats supported
- Audio playback: MP3; WAV (PCM/ADPCM); AAC, AAC+ 5.13; OGG Vorbis; FLAC*
- Photo playback: JPEG, BMP, PNG, GIF
- USB slave 2.0; Mobile Transfer Protocol (MTP)
- Micro SD (SDHC compatible)
- USB Host; Mass Storage Class (MSC) (adapter micro B/A sold separately)
- HDMI output (Mini HDMI / HDMI cable sold separately)
What's in the Box
ARCHOS 80 G9 Internet tablet, USB cable, USB Power adapter, Quick Start Guide
* With optional plug-in (downloadable from archos.com), you can expand your video and audio compatibility:
- Video add-on: Cinema: MPEG-2 (up to DVD resolution MP/D1, 30 fps@10 Mbps)/ AC3 for videos using AC3 audio codec. With the above codecs, the device can play video files with the following extensions: AVI, MP4, MOV, 3GP, MPG, PS, TS, VOB, MKV, FLV, RM, RMVB, ASF
- Audio add-on: AC3 5.1