on February 10, 2014
Size Name: MediumColor Name: HeronVerified Purchase
I spent a long, long time looking for just the right jacket. I tried on every jacket at my local REI at least 3 times. I spent hours scouring the internet, reading reviews, looking at pictures, and watching Youtube clips. I finally settled on the Arc'teryx Atom LT Hoody in Heron, and I couldn't be happier.

Let me just preface this review by noting that the interior of the jacket and the elastic band around the hood are a sort of lime green, not a yellow color as it looks in the picture.

I live in Georgia, so I don't have any great need of super warm jacket. Up until now the only jacket I've had is the fleece Mountain Hardwear Windstopper Tech, which true to it's name does a great job of cutting the wind, but doesn't provide much insulation. I decided that I needed something more this winter, even though GA winters are mild the Windstopper just wasn't cutting it. I tried on a lot of nice jackets, but most of them were either too heavy, or just didn't quite suit my needs. I'm very active outdoors, primarily rock climbing, camping, and hiking so I wanted something durable and warm, but light enough for high output activity. The Atom LT fits the bill almost perfectly.

Pro's:
-Warm enough for any southern winter. I've worn it with just a short-sleeve T in freezing temperatures
-Cool enough for any southern winter. I've worn it when the temps are in the high 50's and not been uncomfortable
-Super lightweight and compressible
-The best cuffs I've ever seen. Seriously, this may seem trivial but it was a major point of contention for me. Most cuffs are either the bulky velcro style, or an elastic band that doesn't really fit my arm. The cuffs on this jacket are kind of an elastic neoprene material and are tailored perfectly. My hands slip right through them, they are never in my way, and are snug all around sealing in my warmth.
-The zipper is all plastic, but it's incredibly easy to start and to raise or lower. This is big for me as one handed operation can be important when you need to vent some heat on the face of a cliff. Also, I tried many other jackets on which were just a pain to get started. The last thing I want to do is spend time fiddling with my zipper.
-Hand pockets are great. They under the insulation, and exterior face is lined in the softest fleece I've ever felt.
-Looks fantastic! The medium fits me perfectly, and the grey and green colors contrast outstandingly. I can wear this jacket to my corporate job with no concerns, but it still looks very stylish.
-Overall quality is outstanding. You're not going to find loose stitches or stray threads here.

Cons:
-The hood has no cinches or adjustments. It's fine for most purposes, but it doesn't really snug down to your head so wind can easily get in under it and potentially take it off.
- The pockets are a little shallow. There isn't a lot that could have been done here other than starting the pockets just a little further around to the sides. I can't quite get my whole hand in without balling it.

For reference on the fitment, I'm about 5'10" 190lbs with short arms and the medium fits perfectly. I have just enough room to layer a heavy sweater or a couple of layers underneath, and the sleeves for once are not too long.
on September 6, 2012
Size Name: X-LargeColor Name: Deep DuskVerified Purchase
I purchased this hoody when I worked in Afghanistan. It got cold rather quickly and this jacket saved me. It is extremely light and packs into a small ball, which is important if you don't have much space in your luggage. Plus it is very warm. I carry it with me anywhere I travel. It is perfect if its a little chilly or dips below freezing. It works every time. My favorite. Arcteryx hasn't failed me so far with any of their products.
on December 19, 2013
Verified Purchase
This is almost unbelievably lightweight and, given that weight and thinness, it's also almost unbelieveably warm. I'm 6'1" and ~180 lbs and the medium fits me perfectly. There's really no wasted fabric on it, so, if you're a bigger-framed guy, you may want to go with a larger size. This hoody stuffs down very small and is practically weightless in a pack. Although I've got a Gore-Tex outer shell for rain gear, this holds its own in rain/snow.
on January 28, 2014
Verified Purchase
It's incredibly warm, really well made, looks good, it folds up really small for a backpack or a suitcase. I wear it all spring, and as an outer layer with a fleece underneath when I'm running in winter. I've had two of them.
on July 5, 2014
Size Name: X-LargeColor Name: TobikoVerified Purchase
Ironically, not what I thought I was ordering, but better. Extremely light and extremely warm. Looking forward to some high altitude camping to really test it.
on January 18, 2013
Size Name: LargeColor Name: BisonVerified Purchase
Husband LOVES the jacket! I thought it was just a really expensive hoodie when it arrived, but it's actually a really great coat. It's light and soft, but really warm in cold weather. Just a great coat. And excellent for very tall men who have a hard time finding things that have sleeves long enough (without being so wide it's unattractive! Tall does not really mean Big!), and the back of the jacket is longer than the front, which my husband really likes.
11 commentWas this review helpful to you?YesNoSending feedback...
on December 9, 2014
Size Name: LargeColor Name: BlackVerified Purchase
I'm 6'1, 180lbs, 34 waist and wear between M and L. I decided to go with a large size due to it being a trim fit. I definitely made the right choice, the jacket fits great and is super light. I highly recommend it.
on April 6, 2014
This is a great, almost perfect, mid layer for very cold temps, or a good outer jacket during spring/fall. I come from using a minimal down shirt almost daily except during the height of summer. In Spring or Fall this jacket works great as an outer jacket. The breathing side panels do make a difference compared to the down shirt I was wearing, the Atom being less clammy feeling. Together with the less 'sticky' outer fabric this just makes me that little bit more comfortable.

Had some mild rain and DWR works great for now. Main reason for synthetic for me is it will be easier to wear under a shell and not worry about it getting compressed or wet as much as with a ultra light high fill power down shirt.

I'm 184cm and 72Kg (6.1/160) and I'm often in between a Medium and Large due to broad shoulders. Got a Medium and it fits great. If you want to layer a lot under it, or you like a looser fit, you would probably like a Large.

I have a Atom SV (also Medium) and the two are sized to be worn together (the LT with the tighter fit, the SV looser) so no need to adjust sizing if you are thinking about that route.

The hood is not as bad for me as for some other people. I've been in stormy winds twice and although the hood wasn't shut tight and let in air, it did stay securely on my head. I feel a cinch cord in a newer model would be well worth the weight though and really make the Atom LT 100% perfect for me.

The remarks about the cuffs are not exaggerated. It's a sign of good design when you get something you never knew you needed. Arc'teryx is expensive but their attention to detail, their fabrics, and their cut (the fit) is the best there is.

update -
The newer version of the Atom LT now has a cinch cord in the hood. It runs from the back of the head, to the front side and with one adjustment point it manages to keep the hood more secure and moves with your head when looking side to side. Very nicely done, and so I now think this is the perfect synthetic hoody.

After using it more and more I can only say the fabric has held up well, still love the side fleece panels on the move, and I know some people don't like the zipper being so loose - but it is super when you're climbing and can adjust with one hand. Solid five stars.
on November 22, 2014
Size Name: MediumColor Name: PlatinumVerified Purchase
Well now that I've tested it in the NC cold surge I figured I could write about it now. It's my new go to. I took a star away for two reasons. For a technical piece, and one by Arc'teryx, the jacket does raise up above your belt-line when you reach above your head. The other con is the hood. I really do not know what they were thinking, and honestly I'd love to hear the explanation because it makes you look like an astronaut. Why not put some synchs on it? The material is great. Water beads off in a mist or drizzle, but not Chik-fil-a sauce. I'm 5'11" 158 slender/athletic build and the medium is a good fit. The sleeves don't pull back from my wrist when I bring up my arms. In comparison Im a medium in patagonia as well. I'd say the fit is pretty similar to the R1. No regrets on this purchase. Def would recommend, but maybe not at full price due to the horrible hood design. Also this color has a little more of a light blue tint than the pictures reveal.
on February 21, 2014
Size Name: SmallColor Name: HeronVerified Purchase
It is really light and warm! I'm 5'11" ,150lbs and "S" is exactly perfect for me as mid layer. The quality of Arcteryx is bravo!