4.0 out of 5 stars Flash frozen

Published on September 4, 2011 by bernie

‹ Previous | 1 2 3 | Next ›

4.0 out of 5 stars Flash frozen, April 14, 2011
This review is from: Arctic Blast (DVD)
Well, I'm almost certain the science is suspect, most what-if stories are. I didn't mind that. The plot is pretty standard: smart scientist (Michael Shanks) identifies a problem, there's a pompous boss (Bruce Davison) who discounts it. The problem becomes undeniable. They need a solution. Smart guy has it, stupid boss wants it done his way, he's wrong.... They even threw in the prerequisite global warming rant. AND! The poor scientist/hero is beset with an overwhelming number of things to deal with besides the impending DOOM; as in wife and daughter problems and the aforementioned dope of a boss. There's even more than that but even with complications, this is not a complicated disaster flick. It is what it is, there is a whole genre of like movies (most of which I have in my collection: Absolute Zero & the Day After Tomorrow for example). I love disaster movies, even though they are by nature unrealistic. That's exactly why I love them. They are beyond the worst case scenario. They are THE END OF THE WORLD! And then some. This neatly falls into that category. Is it a good movie? Of course not. Did I like it? Yes. It's a keeper. I can easily watch this stupid movie multiple times. If you like dopey/bad disaster movies you might like this. I paid 10 bucks for it and consider that money well spent.

3.0 out of 5 stars Chrystal blue persuasion, September 4, 2011
This review is from: Arctic Blast (DVD)
This is a Standard disaster formula story with the standard disaster formula characters and the obligatory premise introduction. Yep we destroyed the ozone it was the only thing protecting us from the coldest place on earth (fifty to a hundred kilometers above), well maybe with the exceptions of Jack's wife (Alexandra Davies) and Jack's brat (Indiana Evans.) Now toss in an eclipse and only Jack Tate (Michael Shanks) sees the "hole" problem and hopefully the solution.

In the end will they listen to jack's solution? In the end will they learn to work with Mother Nature? In the end will Jack's cutie co-worker, Zoe (Saskia Hampele) get Jack or be left out in the cold? Will we ever get tired of these mediocre disaster movies? (Not me)

3.0 out of 5 stars THERE'S A HOLE IN MY OZONE, May 15, 2011
RECIPE FOR LOW BUDGET DISASTER MOVIE:
Take one brilliant scientist who detects a cataclysmic hole in the ozone but no one believes him;
Add a corporate exec who thinks he has a better solution;
Mix in the genius' estranged wife and teen daughter who thinks he doesn't pay them enough attention;
A dash of the dedicated assistant who suffers from diabetes and unrequited love for the doctor;
Place all ingredients in a fog shrouded enclosure and freeze for 90 minutes.
As in most "cautionary" tales, man conquers the elements. ARCTIC BLAST is okay but nothing extraordinary. Acting is average and the fog is fluffy if not especially ominous. If you don't expect too much, you shouldn't be disappointed.

3.0 out of 5 stars Basic Diaster Movie, February 18, 2013
This review is from: Arctic Blast (DVD)
I always enjoy Michale Shanks, this was a good rainy day diversion movie. Interesting plot about the ozone layer, nice Australian shots for a change of pace from London or NY disaster movie locations. Overall, I would recommend this movie for a pleasant watching experience. Just understand that this isn't a high budget thriller and I think you will be satisfied with the results.

3.0 out of 5 stars Very much typical of it's type but not bad, August 3, 2012
Robert A. Bowers "Bowers" (Chicago, Illinois United States) - See all my reviews
This review is from: Arctic Blast (DVD)
I got my copy of "Arctic Blast" in a Wal-Mart $5.00 bin so it wasn't a major investment. Most of the other reviews have given the standard information and I think they are accurate. The special effects are ok; fog isn't as scary as flooding water, or lava etc. but the movie does hold your attention while it goes through the standard low budget complications these movies share. One thing nice about it; it's filmed in Tasmania and Australia so the scenery being frozen is different. There are a few standard disaster around the planet shots, Big Ben, Golden Gate, etc. but most of the location work is a plus for being a bit different. I will watch it again some night when I can use a little arm chair adventure.

1.0 out of 5 stars Artic Blast a total waste, November 19, 2011
P. J. Parker (Burlington, NC, USA) - See all my reviews
This review is from: Arctic Blast (DVD)
One of the worst movies I've ever seen and I love Michael Shanks, but he couldn't save this mess. I'm a diabetic so when they gave an insulin injection to a woman suffering from excessively low blood sugar, I was just shocked--that would kill you 100%! Did these people do no research for this film? Also, the special effects were terrible and there were so many plot holes that it was laughable. And that's what I mostly did--laugh my way through this horrible film. Do NOT waste your money on this junk. It wasn't even worth the $5.00 I spent on it.

4.0 out of 5 stars FUN FROZEN FLICK, March 6, 2014
ARTIC BLAST

After re-watching Gordon Yang’s “Metal Tornado” I decided I needed to go back and watch another film he produced called “Arctic Blast”. This like the other is a disaster flick which has always been a style of film I have enjoyed. I really like them it seems if they are these SYFY Channel type B movies. Then of course my boy Michael Shanks stars here so that it a plus.

After a tear in the ozone layer opens up super cold mesosphere air leaks in and starts to spread across Earth. The chill is enough to kill instantly so physicist Jack Tait [Shanks] is on a mission to find a way to stop it and keep all he knows and loves safe. But with time running out as well as getting no help from city officials Jack may not be able to do a thing about it.

I had a feeling going in I would like this since Jason Bourgue wrote this who has written some good B stuff. He wrote the Lou Diamond Phillips starring “Metal Tornado” as well as a few films in the “Man eater Series”. He also directed the LDP starring “Termination Point” and speaking of directing I thought Brian Trenchard-Smith did a good job here. You might know him as the director of “Night of the Demons 2” and “Leprechaun 2 & 3”. These two together made for a really great TV flick on SyFy and along with a good cast I really enjoyed it.

Of course you know I loved my boy Michael Shanks in this as well as the rest of the cast. Plus it doesn’t hurt that I am a big fan of these end of the world flicks. I really wish more than anything we could have got a commentary on the DVD. With the director, writer, Shanks, any of them separately or together. Still regardless this was a fun flick that is a good waste of an afternoon.

2.0 out of 5 stars BORE BLAST, March 2, 2013
Jimmy R (Pennsylvania) - See all my reviews
This review is from: Arctic Blast (DVD)
I have friends in Australia..and I have Canadian relatives.. but when I saw this was a Canadian/Australian co production, I said "Oh lord!"..and I was right.. This movie was weak..acting, story, direction..everything was bland and cheesy. It's less than a made for tv movie in the U.S... The film isn't even up to made for tv in Canada standards. I would go into greater detail, but trust me, just avoid it.. I got it for $1.. I still over paid..

5.0 out of 5 stars ARCTIC BLAST, January 23, 2013
john ward (phila, pa United States) - See all my reviews
This review is from: Arctic Blast (DVD)
ARCTIC BLAST was excellent in my own words good acting special affects.The story is based that in the coldest part of the earth A rip in the earths ozone causes the coldness from Above to leak down and freeze every thing in an instance. It takes A joint effort of scientist and military to fix things.

3.0 out of 5 stars Australia eats the disaster bullet for a change, August 14, 2012
This review is from: Arctic Blast (DVD)
Arctic blast sees man's tampering with the environment causing huge columns of icy air to descend from the upper atmosphere. If you're a fan of zero-budget TV disaster films, you know this was already the plot of the far superior Category 7: The End of the World. In this movie however, the supercooled air does not cause tornadoes- instead it literally freezes everything and everyone it touches, from extremely still buildings that can have icicles digitally painted onto them to the horny boyfriend of the hero's daughter. Since these movies tend to follow a very predictable formula, I will break this one down into its base parts:

Lone Token Celebrity:
Michael Shanks! Who didn't love him as the brainy and surprisingly brawny Dr. Danial Jackson in Stargate: SG1? And now he's a more traditional science fiction hunky scientist. I predict he'll be wearing an explorer suit with little shorts and fighting giant ants in the jungle before his career is out. Shanks seems bored nearly to tears for this whole film, but that's sort of his acting method so it's hard to say how much he's really investing in his role.

Lesson About Man's Hubris:
Immense! If we keep depleting the ozone layer we will be frozen to death, EVEN IN AUSTRALIA. It's like On The Beach only with bad weather, people.

Carnage:
Middling. The only stuff that really gets arctic blasted are things that were pretty motionless anyway and we don't see much of environments after their flash-freezing.

Awful Effects:
Pretty bad. The Deadly pillars of freezing air don't look like much, nor is the freezing of Australia very interesting to look at. But how interesting can you make a big spooky cloud?

Romantic Subplot:
Decent. Shanks is surrounded by slightly above average ladies and eventually when the seemingly unstoppable weather disaster is averted, he hooks up with one of them. I'd rather they just leave these bits out, but TV disaster film law 115 says there MUST be a romance of some kind. There's also a doomed romance between Shanks' characters' daughter and her wuss boyfriend.

Big Action Truck:
Shanks tools around in a Hilux Invincible, the same truck James May drove up a volcano in Top Gear, and May and Clarkson drove to the North Pole. As you might imagine, it laughs at nature's puny attempts to kill it here too. Also apparently its heater is strong enough to protect a person from weather that can flash-freeze the ocean. Go Toyota!

i would recommend Arctic Blast as background noise while you work, or maybe something to put on so the significant other in your life will get bored and make out with you instead of watching TV, but as a movie it's kind of a stinker. It gets 3 stars because I love Michael Shanks glowering at stuff, but there are better disaster movies out there, not to mention better WEATHER disaster movies, and for that matter, better made for TV weather disaster movies. And that's a pretty narrow niche to still lose in, Arctic Blast.

‹ Previous | 1 2 3 | Next ›

Arctic Blast
Arctic Blast by Brian Trenchard-Smith (DVD - 2011)
$8.37