Arctic Peoples (Native Americans)
Format: PaperbackChange
Price:$7.94 + Free shipping with Amazon Prime

on January 14, 2008
I checked out the book "Arctic Peoples" from our library to go along with a study of the Inuit. Since I have read many books on the Inuit/Arctic already, I am fairly familiar with the subject matter. (Initially I liked the layout of the book and the photos, which is why I was hoping this series might be one we could purchase for homeschool.) Anyway, upon reading the book(s) I found several pieces of information that are completely incorrect. I don't mean just not complete, like missing some information, but literally incorrect 100%. Right now I am just going to point out about the "Arctic Peoples" book.

(1)On page 5 it states, "The ground turns to mud. A few plants sprout up, but not enough for people to eat." The ground is actually "boggy" on the tundra in the summer and millions of wildflowers sprout. Although they are not eaten, they are used for medicinal purposes. And there are loads of berries at the end of summer (cloudberries etc.) that are picked and dried to eat in the winter. So there is some sort of food available.

(2)On page 8 it states, "The Inuit and Aleuts ate no grains, vegetables, or plants of any kind." See explanation above.

(3)On page 10 it lists Kayaks and Dog Sleds as means of transportation. What about Umiaks? That is the only way families travel in water in the summer as a whole family cannot travel in a kayak nor could the Inuit hunt whales that way either.

(4)On page 14 it is talking about Parkas and how "Mothers carried their babies inside their shirts." I have never read this. I have only heard that they carried their babies in the HOODS of their parkas.

(5)Lastly, on page 26 it states, "By 1900, the Aleuts had all joined the Greek Orthodox Church." When were the Greeks ever in the Aleutian Islands??? It was the RUSSIAN ORTHODOX Church!!! The Russians, as you said, controlled Alaska before the US bought it.

Considering the review given at the beginning of the product description section and what I have experienced, I do not recommend this book. There are many out there far more accurate to read.
0CommentWas this review helpful to you?YesNoSending feedback...
Thank you for your feedback.
Sorry, we failed to record your vote. Please try again

Your Recently Viewed Items and Featured Recommendations