5.0 out of 5 stars it works...but it's not magic! :)
Published on December 16, 2011 by K. Murdock

1.0 out of 5 stars didn't work for me
I tried this the other day when I dyed my hair and I didn't notice any less red in my hair afterwards. My goal was to take my brown hair with reddish undertones to a more ash shade of the same level brown. I followed the directions and used 10 drops per ounce of hair color and it didn't do anything. I used ash based dye as well. Too bad.
Published 21 months ago by Kabuki

5.0 out of 5 stars it works...but it's not magic! :), December 16, 2011
ok first of all, i didn't buy it on amazon. i messed up my hair at home - i have very bright blonde (professionally highlighted hair) and my roots are a boring mousy brown...i tried to lighten my roots a few shades so that i could extend the time between expensive salon trips. well the result was AWFUL orange-y/reddish roots!! it looked like my roots were glowing orange while the rest of my hair was a very pretty natural blonde. so came online and found this unred stuff and thought..."i can't wait a few days to get this in the mail, i need it NOW!" so i went to sally beauty supply. sadly they didn't have a bottle like amazon does...they just sold the little one time use packets. so i bought a few. here's the part that my review may differ from others. i know you're supposed to mix it with your hair color but since i already screwed up my color i didn't have that option. so i took a very thick conditioner i have and put some in a bowl and mixed it with the unred. i used a highlighting brush and applied it to my roots. ((heads up...this stuff is full on black when you apply it to your hair...terrifying but normal)) i left the conditioner/unred mixture on for about 40 minutes and then rinsed. my roots are NOT glowing anymore and they are a much more normal shade. i'm extremely happy with this product..and i think in a week or so...i'll do it again. it is amazing the difference and i didn't even use it with hair color like they recommend. next time around when i do my roots between salon trips i'll add the unred and come back and update my review. for now..this stuff is a very cheap and great answer if you mess up your hair or need to tone down orange/red tones. :)

5.0 out of 5 stars Ardell UnRed AND Mrs. Stewart's Bluing Keep the Orange Away, August 3, 2012
I've been using Ardell UnRed with my box dyes and box highlighting kits for several years. I color my hair light ash brown (I'm naturally light brown, with about 30% gray), and I use a highlighting kit on top of that. Without adding UnRed to my mixtures, my hair always ends up pretty orange. I've never had success just adding UnRed to my shampoo or conditioner, or even applying it straight to my hair. That's never worked for me. Perhaps on a blonde it would work, but on a darker-haired girl, I need the more powerful chemical processes created by the hair color kits to actually have the UrRed take effect.

But, the real reason I'm writing this review is to share about Mrs. Stewart's Bluing (which I also get on Amazon). It's the same stuff elderly women have used in the past to rinse their white hair in to keep it from looking dull or discolored. I've heard it's where the term "blue hair" (used to describe elderly ladies) came from.

Anyway, if you know anything about the color wheel, blue is the opposite of orange, so by rinsing orange-tinged hair in blue water (made by mixing Mrs. Stewart's Bluing in water), any remaining orange that's not taken care of by the UnRed is really neutralized. As anyone who colors hair lighter shades of brown knows, the orange is REALLY hard to prevent. UnRed is my first line of defense, but on top of that, Mrs. Stewart's Bluing is my life-saver.

There are two ways I use it. First, I mix Mrs. Stewart's Bluing with my favorite conditioner to make my own special anti-orange conditioner (I make my conditioner about the color of a blueberry). And second, I fill my bathroom sink with water and add the Bluing, and after each shower and I do a final rinse of my hair in that blue water. It doesn't take out 100% of the orange, but it helps A LOT. I do have to be careful, as there have been a couple times that I've made my water a little TOO blue and my hair has ended up a tad greenish-gray. It's not a big deal though, as it comes out at the next shampoo - just give your hair an extra rub between your palms to help get the unwanted blue out.

You'll definitely need to experiment with how much Bluing to put in the rinse water. I would recommend starting out by making your water at least the color of the blue hospital signs you see on the road, and go from there. Sometimes I make my water a very deep dark blue. The lighter, and the more damaged your hair, probably the less blue you'll need. I'm not very scientific about it. I just give the bottle one or two big squeezes into the sink of water. Oh, and be sure to use an old (or dark) towel to dry your hair, as the rinse water will leave temporary blue stains on it.

I hope this helps someone the way it has helped me!

5.0 out of 5 stars Ardell Unred, September 19, 2008
V. Curran (Aurora, CO United States) - See all my reviews
If you want a real ash color to your blond, this is the product for you. It suppresses red tones, and can be added to shampoo to keep red tones out. Does what it says it will, great product, lasts a long time.

5.0 out of 5 stars Can't live without it - gets the job done, June 10, 2010
M. Allen (Port Townsend, WA) - See all my reviews
This product was a great find for me - a real problem solver. I have strawberry blond hair and using even the ashiest blonde hair color alone will leave me with orangey hair. I use 15 drops of Unred and I end up with a lovely natural sunny shade. Lasts a long time and well worth the price.
Be forewarned, it will turn the hair color solution dark grey/black so it's a little scary.

5.0 out of 5 stars Adrell red out, December 16, 2012
Great stuff got most of the brass red tone out after dying my hair from blond to dark brown. Had to use with conditioner and let it set it for 10min. With three drops.

5.0 out of 5 stars Wonderful stuff. Gets the red out., March 30, 2011
Finally, a product that works !

Have tried many expensive de-red products over the years, all a waste of money.
This has to be a consumer's best buy.

Mix with your color and process for 25-30 min.
I have medium ash blond hair (8.5-9), natural color light brown, tried over the counter Clairol Perfect 10 light blond, turned my ash blond hair orange-red. What a mess. Didn't want to completely strip back to pale yellow and re-dye a medium ash blond, hair can only take so much, so tried this. The prelim test I tried for 30 min., gave the exact color minus the orange red. Did the rest of my hair, tried 40 min., which was a bit too long ... took the color about 1/2 a shade darker ... which actually was a color I've been trying to get for years so I'm really happy :)

Would never dye or bleach without this product again !

1.0 out of 5 stars didn't work for me, March 20, 2013

5.0 out of 5 stars Love Unred!, September 12, 2013
I love this product and it works like magic! :) It completely avoids and/or removes orangish/red tint to dark colored hair when lifting or bleaching! I was truly amazed. I first tried it out with the individual packets and wanted to keep it in stock with all my other hair care/maintenance products, I just didn't realize how little 0.25 ounces really is until I received this product! it's tiny! So I will have to keep an eye out for sale prices on bigger bottles! :)

5.0 out of 5 stars Really good one,i mixed it with Revlon frost and glow., June 5, 2013
Really good one,if you don't want to have a redness on your hair,just buy it and get some glamorous look.

4.0 out of 5 stars It worked., January 4, 2013
It did eliminate the red in my hair but unfortunately it did leave it a little darker than it would normally be. I will still be using it again. I would rather go a little darker than a little redder.