Amazon.com: Customer Reviews: Arduino Ethernet Shield R3
Your Garage Best Books of the Month Amazon Fashion Learn more nav_sap_plcc_ascpsc $5 Albums Fire TV Stick Sun Care Patriotic Picks Shop-by-Room Amazon Cash Back Offer roadies roadies roadies  Amazon Echo  Echo Dot  Amazon Tap  Echo Dot  Amazon Tap  Amazon Echo Starting at $49.99 All-New Kindle Oasis UniOrlando Segway miniPro

on December 27, 2012
I stacked this on my Arduino UNO, hooked it up to a Ethernet cable, downloaded a sample sketch to get the time from an internet server, and it worked immediately. What more could you ask for? It is exactly what it is supposed to be.
on June 14, 2014
Yu can't beat the quality of Arduino branded equipment like this. I have never had a failure on an Arduino product made in Italy to date and I use quite a few of them. A little more expensive but well worth it.
on October 29, 2013
Be advised that this particular model shield (R3) has a bug that gets in the way of uploading sketches. Remedies include either unplugging the shield from the base Arduino board before uploading, or hit the reset button immediately after the "Uploading..." message appears in the Arduino IDE.

If you plan on using the Simulink support package with this shield, the only remedy is to unplug the it from the base board (hitting reset won't do it).

Otherwise, this Ethernet shield seems to work as intended. Good luck.
on March 11, 2013
I want everything on the network (maybe not the web, but at least network accessible) and so having the arduino accessible with a network shield is amazing. There is plenty of sample code as expected with Arduino to make this shield either a webserver or a web client, and so i can get whatever data I want from my arduino to a database server or other host.

These are powerful little products. An extra thought is if more power or a more standard "computer" is necessary, consider an android based micro-computer. If less power is needed, perhaps consider a picaxe, rather than an arduino.

Either way I am impressed.
on July 31, 2014
I love having the ability to control my Arduino UNO R3 from any computer, tablet, or phone on the network with this. I recommend getting this for your Arduino if you want to add remote functionality to it in a place where you can run a cat 5/6 cable. After scouting Google for a bit, I was able to use some example code to power a fan from a networked computer's web browser or telent session (tel-netting to port 80). My wife was particularly fond of being able to troll me by turning my fan on and off from her laptop in the other room. The fan was hooked up to one of the four relays on the four-relay Sainsmart board for Arduino that I also purchased on Amazon (great product as well). I better not give my wife too much information about the web commands when I build a more in-depth project or she may end up hurting herself or someone else with the kind of fun she is having with this thing!
on November 29, 2013
Works excellent when paired with the Arduino. This coupled with an external WiFi adapter that simply plugs in gives your ardunio cheap and easy wireless capabilities and better range than the WiFi shields.
on October 25, 2013
I have at least a dozen Arduino's of many versions. This one is dedicated to a proto-shield to program ATtiny85 processors. It worked great right out of the box. I have another Uno dedicated to burn bootloader's in bare 328P chips for my equivalent of the Bareduino. These are great for beginners and Engineers and the open source makes it easy to cut and paste things together in very little time. Buy it.
on October 8, 2013
I honestly don't know how this could receive anything less than 5 stars unless the board simply came DOA. As you're probably aware, the ethernet shield adds internet communication capabilities to your arduino. So for example, any embedded system you create with the Arduino can be modified so that it's accessible via an internet connection. It does require use of some of the pins (digital 10-13 if I remember correctly), so it does come at a small cost to the I/O pin capabilities.

The best part is the examples library that comes with the the Arduino software already has several ethernet based projects to get you going. Within the first week of using this (actually it's been less than a week), I was able to modify the example chat server sketch to remote in and manipulate I/O pins using just a telnet client. I also tested out the example web server that reads in the 6 analog pins and displays them on a basic HTML webpage. I don't even have that good of a background in C++.

So for anyone sitting on the fence thinking you might not be able to use this, don't worry! You can easily get starter projects off the ground in a matter of days. I haven't even begun using the additional SD card slot. I'm actually not even sure what i would use it for, but I'd imagine it's primarily for storing graphics and other types of data you might use for creating more complex web pages.
on November 13, 2013
This is another great shield available for the arduino. I've used these for remote robotics applications in nuclear physics experiments. They work great. Make sure you keep them very cool especially if you are using them in conjunction with the motor control shield as they tend to over-heat if you do not apply constant cool air circulation.
on December 23, 2013
It works just fine. The problem I had was due to the large RJ-45 connector. It sits taller than the pass-thru connectors. You have to have extended connectors if you plan on adding a shield on top. It would have made more sense to add taller connectors in the beginning. It would also be nice if there was an option to not have the Micro SD slot. Added cost when it probably isn't needed at all.