Automotive Holiday Deals Books Gift Guide Books Gift Guide Shop Men's Athletic Shoes Learn more nav_sap_SWP_6M_fly_beacon Prime Music Sweepstakes egg_2015 All-New Amazon Fire TV Grocery Gifts Under $50 Amazon Gift Card Offer cm15 cm15 cm15 $30 Off Amazon Echo $15 Off All-New Fire Kindle Voyage Entertainment Collectibles Shop Now HTL
Customer Discussions > An Echo in the Bone (Outlander) forum

Are Jamie & Claire getting too old?

Sort: Oldest first | Newest first
Showing 1-25 of 42 posts in this discussion
Initial post: Oct 17, 2009 6:59:34 PM PDT
Dorothee says:
My friend thinks Jamie & Claire are getting too old to carry the series. The author, in her opinion, should focus on the younger generations with Jamie & Claire playing secondary roles. I strongly disagree. As a 50-something woman, I still very much enjoy the passionate, devoted relationship that exists between Jamie & Claire. How they grapple with aging, even in the bedroom (Claire's almond cream), speaks to me. I hope if DG wishes to focus on the youngsters that she will do so in spin-off series like the Lord John books and let Jamie & Claire remain king & queen of their kingdom. I look forward to Jamie's continuing transition from "red fox" to "silver fox".

Posted on Oct 17, 2009 7:36:11 PM PDT
J. Bergin says:
I would have no problem reading about the younger generation, and I enjoy reading about them now, but Jamie and Claire's story is not finished yet. I've loved watching them grow older. I love that they still love each other passionately -- and physically! -- and that they're still LEARNING things about one another, even after all this time.

In reply to an earlier post on Oct 17, 2009 7:50:15 PM PDT
Angie says:
I dont think they are getting to old but i think the storylines for them ran out of steam. They felt very old to me in this book but only because Jamie & Claire had done just about everything two people can do. I love them and have been reading this series from the start and i felt when i read the new book that it was the same old same old. Even the intimate scenes were a little blah for me because it has all been said and done before. I think Snow & Ashes should have been the last book for them and the story should have wrapped up however it is going to end. Just my two cents :)

In reply to an earlier post on Oct 17, 2009 8:10:22 PM PDT
Seabreeze says:
I know I will continue reading about Jamie and Claire until the series ends, even if they are in their eighties. I love to read about their relationship, whether they are getting it on or arguing. What I really enjoy is seeing the mix of young and old and how they relate to each other. I am sure DG will think of something that will keep Jamie and Claire front and center until they die.

Posted on Oct 18, 2009 6:41:01 AM PDT
AnetteF says:
I enjoy being there with them as they get old and seeing life as experienced through the eyes of someone of an older age group.

One of the problems we have in modern society is that ageing has become almost a taboo topic and that many younger people nowadays actually have no first hand experience of old people at all. For some readers, this may well be the only such encounter they have before hitting those numbers themselves, which is quite a frightening thought. Maybe reading Jamie and Claire's story is going to wake up some younger readers to the fact that the old couple they always ignore at get-togethers might have quite an interesting life to talk about and actually be worthy of attention.

In reply to an earlier post on Oct 18, 2009 5:25:32 PM PDT
Siovhan says:
Whoohoo... Jamie SILVERFOX.. I LIKE that!

Posted on Oct 18, 2009 5:30:40 PM PDT
Siovhan says:
AnnetteF - I agree. I'm 49 (today!) and KNOW my best is ahead of me... and I enjoy the fact that Claire and Jamie share a passionate, sexy, intelligent, adventurous life adventure together, and real-life issues come in (gray hairs, glasses, not having the energy to run down a carriage [Jamie in ABOSAA, when Claire was imprisoned]). It's good to know that LIFE IS NOT OVER after you hit your late fact, for those of us that spent the last 20 years raising kids, it's just getting started!!

In reply to an earlier post on Oct 19, 2009 8:03:17 AM PDT
D. Billings says:
Oh no, getting older is part of the story of Jamie and Claire. How could they just be relegated to a secondary role? The intertwining of generations is part of what makes this saga so interesting. Besides, I NEED to have the medical anecdotes involving Claire to keep this from becoming just one more romance series. That is what really sets this whole series apart from others for me. I am not usually a romance novel reader but the medical and historical sub-stories capture my interest.

Posted on Oct 19, 2009 2:16:32 PM PDT
Last edited by the author on Oct 19, 2009 2:18:30 PM PDT
AnetteF says:
Sorry I didn't see your post yesterday, Windsinger. Happy belated birthday!!!

It is one of the things I love about the books. Things happen to people that are real. They are not from Hollywood where everyone has had a facelift, never gets a day older than 29 and children are passed on to the nanny the moment the camera stops taking pictures.

I would love to see more interaction between Jamie and William and Jamie and the grandchildren in the next book.

Edit: reading that once posted, I realised that whilst not having had a facelift, Claire seems to be blessed with a lot more natural beauty than average you and me. But hey, there have to be some perks to being the main character.

In reply to an earlier post on Oct 19, 2009 4:26:34 PM PDT
Who said that reading about Jamie and Claire now is the "same old, same old"? How's about that scene in Echo when they sneak off into the Commander's garden for a little lovemaking and it decidedly takes a novel turn? Remember... Jamie asks Claire to...? Then she asks him to...? Once I put my eyeballs back into my head, I had to laugh. Be as old as you wanna be chronologically if you can still be so unbelievably romantic and clever and feisty! Even the scene where they are being fitted for spectacles is wonderful! None of this "blind as a bat" old codgers or "read the second line on WHAT CHART?" Nope, they are sensitive to one another and encouraging and able to laugh at themselves.

Posted on Oct 19, 2009 5:48:59 PM PDT
S. K. Lynch says:
What I like about the Outlander series is that it features people of all ages, walks of life and of course the enduring love of Jamie and Claire. Tact of love and intimacy does not end because you turn 50. I agree w/an earlier post where nowdays younger people think old people do not have a lfe (sexual or otherwise). How sad that they think that way. I think DG will show a different type of lovemaking as they age and that is as it should be. They will always be the center of this family and it will be a love that lasts forever.

In reply to an earlier post on Oct 19, 2009 7:46:25 PM PDT
Siovhan says:
I'm with you, AnetteF. I know I"M not as perky up top as I used to be... everything heads south! LOLOL!!!

In reply to an earlier post on Oct 19, 2009 7:50:13 PM PDT
Siovhan says:
Gosh I wish this was real... I could sure use a Jamie in my life!!! Oh well... I've placed my order and am waiting (somewhat) patiently! :-)!!!

I do love their intimacy... their sensitivity to each other... their RELATIONSHIP ROCKS! Is it really possible in real life? Or am I only dreaming????

In reply to an earlier post on Oct 19, 2009 8:10:45 PM PDT
"reading that once posted, I realised that whilst not having had a facelift, Claire seems to be blessed with a lot more natural beauty than average you and me. But hey, there have to be some perks to being the main character."

She's also been blessed with dental and medical care that was far beyond what most 18th century scientists and doctors could ever imagine!

I can't remember which book its in but when Bree first goes through the stones and journeys to Lallybroch she and Uncle Ian are sitting outside conversing. He goes to open a jug of some beverage and he uses his teeth to pull out the cork. He remarks to Bree that he has her mother (Claire) to thank for his teeth and those of his family members. He's very old - 40 something - but still has all his teeth because Claire taught the family to eat raw veggies, brush their teeth, and floss. Loosing your teeth to disease not only causes an off smile but causes your facial bones to mush inward and inhibits your ability to eat a proper diet...

So - now if only I could somehow magically be judged against other woman my age from the 18th century.....

Posted on Oct 20, 2009 5:51:49 AM PDT
Ashley Megan says:
OK, I admit that I used to be one of those youngsters who thought life ended at 25 and that the idea of old (over 30!) people having sex was too gross to even contemplate. Jamie and Claire have changed all that for me. There are still the little shocks, like hearing Claire call herself "Grannie" one minute and do naughty naughty things to her husband the next... but that's part of what makes their story completely unique! It's also so much more a true love story, one that's not based on perky breasts and tight abs like so many other "romances" out there.

Posted on Oct 20, 2009 3:01:54 PM PDT
AnetteF says:
Don't worry, Ashley. I think you aren't the only one who thought that. Getting old is just a theory until we spot the first wrinkles and the odd grey hair at which point it gradually dawns on us that maybe age is something that happens to us, too, not just to other people. Maybe nature has given us a kind of 'ignore getting old' gene to make sure we enjoy our youth whilst it lasts.

To those young people though that think it is ok to treat the old badly, all I can say is - one day it will be you on the receiving end. Maybe you want to start working on improving your own future by giving those younger than yourself a more desirable behaviour to copy!

Talking of which... could all men please read DG and copy a thing or two?

Windsinger, if you could let me know just where you found the address for that order of yours, I'll be your friend forever!

In reply to an earlier post on Oct 21, 2009 10:09:46 AM PDT
Dorothee says:
I must admit that the scene in the commandant's garden caused me to blush. Then I thought, why not! More power to Jamie & Claire for still being able to surprise each other (and me)! More power to DG for getting my pulse to go up a few notches when reading love scenes between two characters who qualify to be AARP members!

In reply to an earlier post on Oct 21, 2009 10:41:04 AM PDT
Dorothee, Hi. You made me laugh! I was glad to read that passage, after the initial shock wore off. Glad that Claire and Jamie still have their mojo on. Isn't there some song about "seeing through (or with ) the eyes of love"? Definitely what is going on here. I mean, from what DG tells us, Claire and Jamie are both excellent physical specimens despite getting on in age. But over and above that good luck, I think they see each other in soft focus, with devotion, memory, true love, sexual appetite.

Made me think of something funny... speaking of AARP. I was looking at some of my mother's (80 years old) catalogs. She gets a ton of them with health aids and miscellaneous items for comfort, dealing with arthritis, etc. Each one of them has a section on - ahem! - marital aids, sexual appliances, videos on better lovemaking. These catalogs are clearly aimed at senior citizens. There must be a market for these items in that demographic. I was thinking "EEWWW!" initially, but quickly changed to "Well, why not?"

In reply to an earlier post on Oct 21, 2009 10:55:34 AM PDT
Last edited by the author on Oct 21, 2009 11:11:09 AM PDT
Dorothee says:
You are in danger of dating yourself! :) The song is THROUGH THE EYES OF LOVE by Melissa Manchester. Big hit in the 70's. I nominate it to be Jamie & Claire's love song (or anyone who needs reading glasses).

THROUGH THE EYES OF LOVE (Melissa Manchester)

Please, don't let this feeling end, 

It's ev'rything I am, 

Ev'rything I wanna be; 

I can see what's mine now, 

Finding out what's true, 

Since I've found you 

Lookin' through the eyes of love 

Now I can take the time, 

I can see my life 

As it comes on shining now; 

Reachin' out to touch you, 

I can feel so much, 

Since I've found you 

Lookin' through the eyes of love. 

And now I do believe,
That even in a storm, we'll find some light; 

Knowin' you're beside me, 

I'm alright. 

Please, don't let this feelin' end, 

It might not come again; 

And I want to remember 

How it feels to touch you; 

How I feel so much, 

Since I've found you 

Lookin' through the eyes of love.

In reply to an earlier post on Oct 21, 2009 1:55:35 PM PDT
Siovhan says:
AnetteF.... it's in Heaven... I'm praying on it! I've been waiting for some time, and I believe it'll be worth the wait... I'll let you know when my 'special delivery' arrives... once I check it out to make sure its in good working order! LOL!!!

Posted on Oct 21, 2009 1:58:39 PM PDT
Siovhan says:
Dorothea - BEAUTIFUL lyrics! I SHOULD know the melody, but don't. Will have to cruise some music site to hear how it goes! Thanks for sharing it!

Posted on Dec 1, 2009 8:26:52 AM PST
Carolyn says:
The thing is, they are not that old! Claire is 60, 61 and Jamie is 55, and both are per the book, youngish and in good shape.... they definitely can carry the series and Diana is soo good at developing peripheral plots, she'll keep us going with Brianna, Ian and William... I love it!

Posted on Dec 2, 2009 6:52:16 PM PST
summerdog says:
Claire and Jamie will never be too old for me. I'll just bet that he will be bending her over the butter churn and banging her head up against the stone barn wall, and flinging her under the hedges, well into his 70's.

In reply to an earlier post on Dec 2, 2009 7:20:23 PM PST
hee hee hee, summerdog. Let's hope so! So far in the story, they are both head and shoulders above the others in terms of health, stamina, mental capacities. To say nothing of libido!

One thing I found very interesting in Echo. It is only a little thing but it caught my eye. Jamie and Claire are waking up somewhere and Claire mentions that she watches as Jamie gets up and uses the chamber pot. (I am going to take the high road here and assume it was to pee.) Now, that is a very common thing when a couple has been together forever. They know each other's body intimately and not too much is embarrasing. DG really has her finger on the pulse of people.

In reply to an earlier post on Dec 3, 2009 10:09:50 AM PST
Seabreeze says:
I think DG has mentioned more than once in the series Claire seeing Jamie use the chamber pot and I always thought she saw him from the back. It would have been a normal thing to see considering how people lived back then. I have wondered if DG were also trying to get the reader to imagine Jamie, nude, from the back and give us a treat.

IIRC DG hasn't mentioned Jamie seeing Claire use the chamber pot in the middle of the night. The difference in anatomy makes it impossible for Claire to look sexy using a chamber pot, IMO anyway.
‹ Previous 1 2 Next ›
[Add comment]
Add your own message to the discussion
To insert a product link use the format: [[ASIN:ASIN product-title]] (What's this?)
Prompts for sign-in

This discussion

Participants:  17
Total posts:  42
Initial post:  Oct 17, 2009
Latest post:  Nov 12, 2014

New! Receive e-mail when new posts are made.
Tracked by 7 customers

Search Customer Discussions
This discussion is about
An Echo in the Bone (Outlander)
An Echo in the Bone (Outlander) by Diana Gabaldon (Hardcover - September 22, 2009)
4.5 out of 5 stars (3,322)